Old March 11, 2003, 14:14   #61
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz

some of us here sent
themselves thought college without anyones help, and
suffered pretty bad doing it, now it's takes every penny to send our kids though college so they don't NEVER have to go through that. Going hungry is one of the worse things you can ever experience.

I had some help from my folks on my first degree but I ALWAYS worked a job while studying and never owned a computer or a car. I was a regular at the schools computer lab and wangled a job there. When I went for my second degree I would return to a job at the local liquor store, working up until Christmas eve or New years if I could manage it. Even with that, I had many meals of chicken thigh soup and learned that you can really fill up at any number of faculty or firm receptions-- veggie trays and cheeses were staples and hot nibblies were an extra special treat. I always thought that facing a little bit of adversity was just part of growing up-- My kids will have college available to them BUT I seriously doubt they will have a car in high school

I know it probably sounds like the old stories of walking to school chest deep in snow in August and uphill both ways . . . but I know what I had to do to get through school and it sounds as if you already have it better than most students

Now , that said, I do believe parents should have some food in the house for their child still in high school. I sympathyze there
Old March 11, 2003, 14:26   #62
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 16:26
At my school we are allowed to add the cost of a new computer into the cost of attendence. Depending on what year you are, they allow you to borrow anywhere from $2600-$5500 dollars to buy a new computer. It's a program run by the Department of Education. You may want to look into it rather than engage in fraud.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old March 11, 2003, 14:56   #63
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:26
Obviously the only solution to the problem is to change majors from Music to Physical Education. You don't need a fancy computer for a PE degree. Best of luck in your new career.
Old March 11, 2003, 15:03   #64
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 14:26
dinodoc...if you are correct then there is no problem at all. BTW is it added to tuition cost or what?
Old March 11, 2003, 15:10   #65
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 16:26
Here's the information on the program at my school: http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/financi...oComputer.html

Given its Federal roots, it may be worth your time to check out out with your financial aid office.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old March 11, 2003, 15:11   #66
Ozz
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
meals of chicken thigh soup
Oatmeal, carrots, potatoes and fish (You can worm fish and study at the same time, and it's free)
Old March 11, 2003, 15:25   #67
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

dino, that is freaking awesome. i just requested info from my financial aid officer, and im excited as hell now. mayeb i can take that roadtrip and get a great computer without sacrificing my moral fiber
Old March 11, 2003, 15:28   #68
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 13:26
Well i am going to Collage now. I also have a part time job as well. Well right now I am going to Community Collage for my AA, which cuts the coast of your edcation a lot and generally the GE class you have to take are better at a Community Collage then at a 4 year school. Of course it looks like you already got accept to a school and such so it looks like you would not be able to do that.

If I want something I really have to get it myself, no one gets it for me. Right now I am saving up for a laptop computer since I dont have one and will help in Computer Science since I can take it any were and work on project when I need to and of course play games like Civ3 and MOO3 with it. I also live at home with my parents and that helps too. I plan on applying for grants and loans and such when I transfer to a 4 year school. I am also looking for a better paying job, well I am a tutor right now and I think what I will do is get cerified so I can get paid more money per hour.

Well their is always a solution to every problem.
Also You might not need to get a new computer at all, you could always try to rebuild the computer you got, and sometime you can put a faster cpu on the same mother board you already got.
Old March 11, 2003, 15:33   #69
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 00:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
The first is a pentium II 300 MHZ 64mbs Ram, 8 gig drive. the second is a pentium III 1 ghz 512 MBs pc133 Ram, 40 gig drive and 80 gig drive(which i plan on harvesting for a new computer)
If you're planning on being an *******, you better know that if you don't send these two babies to my appartment ASAP, I will send your daddy an "anonymous" e-mail with a link to this site, and then, I will tell him to try to open this site on one of your computers.

Do you delete your cookies?
Old March 11, 2003, 15:37   #70
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

azazel, you can have both of them for 450 bucks
Old March 11, 2003, 15:51   #71
Az
Emperor

450 bucks?no deal.

I don't need them both,really. but I'd take the one with the 1Mhz, for free, that's about it.

for 450 bucks I can get a new "box", so thanks, but no thanks.

I'd take a 15'' computer screen in a good condition for 50 bucks, though.
Old March 11, 2003, 15:54   #72
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

ill sell you 17" for 60
Old March 11, 2003, 15:57   #73
Az
Emperor

I'll think about it.

I've been thinking about getting a new screen for quite a while now.

How good is it?
Old March 11, 2003, 15:59   #74
Ozz
Chieftain

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Azazel
I'll think about it. [QUOTE]

Shipping, Shipping, Shipping
Old March 11, 2003, 16:01   #75
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

KDS 17" CRT monitor had it for about a year. its in good working and cosmetic condition

Ozz, i just realized that! GOD DAMNIT AZAZEL MOVE TO AMERICA!
Old March 11, 2003, 16:07   #76
Az
Emperor

Ugh. shipping. nevermind. I don't think they make boxes this large for Intl. postal service.

I'll be heading for the Israeli public auction sites, then...
Old March 11, 2003, 18:17   #77
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

tightasses...

Who hasn't finagled money from their parents once or twice in their life?