Old March 8, 2001, 12:31   #1
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 18:54
Local Date: October 30, 2010
City List bug?
Hmm...is there a bug in the linked list of cities that appears when you get (fairly) large numbers of cities? I normally scroll through the cities from the city screen using the up arrow to scroll alphabetically. I had a few cities revolt one turn, and wondered how I missed seeing that they were about to grow (or I was about to add a military unit). The answer was that I didn't scroll through the whole list. At some point, instead of scrolling from (say) Minsk to Moscow, it scrolled from Minsk to Aalberg, as if the list was corrupted. Later, hitting the up arrow called the whole app to bomb, with "contact the vendor if this behavior persists."

I'm fine if I remember to scroll DOWN through the list. The program bombs out intermittently if I forget and scroll UP.

This has now happened in two consecutive games, running 2.42 on a Win98 laptop.

-- Hermann
Old March 8, 2001, 18:44   #2
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It has happened to me, too, and I play the Mac version on, obviously, a Mac. I have no idea why it happens. If I'm checking the happiness situation, I now access the Attitude Advisor.

------------------
Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
Troll & Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old March 8, 2001, 21:42   #3
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

<<
If I'm checking the happiness situation, I now access the Attitude Advisor.
>>

Well, I was scrolling through the cities *first* preparing to then hit F4 to check happiness. Some of the cities don't reset until you open them on the city screen, so I was getting too much surprise unhappiness if all I hit was F4. Also, I had to watch out for imminent new units, because a new military unit will often trigger unhappiness in a city.
Old March 9, 2001, 01:53   #4
Marko_Polo

I'm having exactly same problems with my 2.42 & Windows ME.

Old March 9, 2001, 03:07   #5
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
They should reset immediately on the Attitude Advisor screen. They certainly do if you adjust the luxuries rate however minutely.

------------------
Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
Troll & Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old March 9, 2001, 14:14   #6
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I think the fix is to buy MGE. I'd forgotten about this one until I just saw it on a 2.42 succession game (which means it hasn't happened in a lot of playing on MGE). I think it's just related to number of cities, and the only way to deal with it is the old "save early, save often" tactic. Or change your style so you don't build as many cities...
Old March 9, 2001, 14:59   #7
George Garrett
Warlord

Local Time: 14:54
Hi, Hermann, I don't understand how this could have happened to you, and others, but never to me. Perhaps because I've never accessed the list of cities straight from the city screen - my 2,42 system won't let me, without first closing the city window. You might like to follow my way of scrolling thro cities, up, down wherever.
Dropping down the "Advisor" menu I click on "City status" . This brings up a list of all my cities, showing no of shields, sheafs,what it's currently building, etc very handy at-a-glance list, clicking onto any city, opens that city's window for you to study its defences, improvements, etc.
This, for me, is by far the best way of scrolling thro lotsa cities (I build 'em, too)
Old March 10, 2001, 01:40   #8
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by finbar on 03-09-2001 02:07 AM
They should reset immediately on the Attitude Advisor screen. They certainly do if you adjust the luxuries rate however minutely.

Well, they don't, and I've seen others (DaveV) mention the need to scroll through the city screens prior to checking the happiness screen. However, I think you may be right that it would be quicker to change the luxury rate (twice) than to scroll through 100+ cities!!

Meanwhile, there is no fix for this bug? Any info on the causes, such as renaming a city or having too many cities with the same first "N" characters (i.e. Key Largo, Key West, Key Biscayne, etc.)?