Old March 11, 2003, 16:43   #1
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What war?
I was going to complain that the AI never asks for peace or accept a demand, but I see why now.
We are not at war? It is unreal, but I have busted all of one races planets but two and at no time has war been declared by either side? I attack all of their ships and planets and no war? I was hoping to extract some techs for peace, but we are at peace, very strange.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 16:56   #2
Eric S
Warlord

Local Time: 13:28
Here I was thinking that this was going to be about the AI declaring war but not doing anything about it. But you're right, the AI gets upset for things that they don't specify even if you're not attacking (my theory is rules-of-engagement violations), but lets you get away with some nasty landgrabs and such with little or no repercussions.
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 18:29   #3
intrigue
Settler

Local Time: 21:28
jeah - I've had a couple times now where I will have good relations with some empire, and they will suddenly tell me something like "stop your actions now"... I wasn't spying on them or anything... and then the next turn they offered a Non-Aggression pact. Odd
intrigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 20:54   #4
vmxa1
Deity

I guess I should declare war to see if I can force them to offer me tech for peace. I am guessing that they will never ask for peace, anyone know.
Old March 11, 2003, 23:30   #5
Tuberski

Local Time: 16:28
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I guess I should declare war to see if I can force them to offer me tech for peace. I am guessing that they will never ask for peace, anyone know.
I think I had it happen once, and I simply accepted instead of asking for anything.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2003, 00:31   #6
vmxa1
Deity

That is what I am afraid of. I do not want it to be easy, but it is fun to extort them a bit.
Old March 13, 2003, 11:10   #7
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 16:28
Yeah, I've had the lizard guys, sakkra or raas, tell me (humans) "Stop your actions....," and a few turns later, "We are now at war..."

What gives, I did nothing??? I don't even have to be bordering their colonies, and this happens every game!!!
Old March 13, 2003, 11:28   #8
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

You'll never get tech for surrender. I have three empires I'm grinding to dust and every few turns they'll ask for a peace treaty. I always counter with a single tech of varying levels and they always refuse my offers.

To WarriorPoet - How strong are you? I had an alliance with one of the gasbags but when I got powerful enough and defeated all the threats to their empire, they cancelled each of our treaties turn by turn then declared war.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2003, 13:11   #9
Eric S
Warlord

WarriorPoet, the opinion other races have towards you depends on more than just how you treat them. For example, attacking Player X when your front designation for that player is quiet front or defensive front is a violation of your rules of engagement, which makes you seem more aggressive/hostile and less dependable to everyone, not just the person you attacked. Unfortunately, I don't know if intercepting a fleet in a system where you have colonies also triggers this.

I'm sure that there are other things that can trigger otherwise uninvolved races to think less of you, such as using NBC weapons during ground assault, and I suspect that bombing a planet into oblivion has a rather chiling effect on your reputation as well.
Old March 13, 2003, 22:03   #10
BlueDEvil
Chieftain

It is related to the random events which is decided by your diplomatic skills. If you are a bad diplomat, events regarding diplomatic relations always go against you. Not surprising to get war declared on you all the sudden, and without logical reasons. Diiplomatic agents can also severed ties. Communications breakdown cause by software bugs is a random event relate to your bad diplomatic skill.

You shouldn't be intercepting fleets unless you want to sour relations. If you are a good diplomat and avoid intercepting neutral fleets, you are most likely to get a relation improvement event with that empire.
BlueDEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2003, 13:45   #11
Eric S
Warlord

I'd be happy not intercepting fleets that I'm not actively at war with if we had another combat option, "force them to go out the way they came or engage them." I don't care if they're looking for different types of planets than I am, my territory is my territory, and unless I give you permission to start a colony in it, I'm not going to take the intrusion well.