View Poll Results: What evil shall we choose today..
Free Market 40/20/40 as it is. 10 62.50%
Green 40/10/50 as some want it to be. 6 37.50%
Write-in, as i think it should be 0 0%
Abstain, as in i'm for a Xenobanana economy. 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 11, 2003, 18:13   #1
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 23:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Official Social Engineering: Green 40/10/50 or FM 40/20/40.
This poll will last 4 days

Our current situation is
Demcratic, Free Market, Knowledge
40/20/40

Net Income: 853 ec

Research Breaktrough: 3 turns / 1222.8 points/turn

10 Bases in Golden Age (Too many to name)
0 Bases rioting

Under Green 40/10/50 this would be:
Net Income: 580 ec

Research Breaktrough: 3 turns / 1166.4 points/turn

2 Bases in Golden Age (UNPD and Crystalis)
0 Rioting.

Other changes
Society changes:
Economy 0 (was +2)
Efficiency +4 (was +2)
Police +1 (was -4)
Growth 0 (was +2)
Planet +2 (was -3)

I chose for 10 Psych instead of 0 as polled before, because 3 bases (Antioch, Deus Ex Machina and UN Marine Institute) would be rioting under 50/0/50. There also was a preference of science over credits, so it became 40/10/50 instead of 50/10/40.

edit: added research points/turn
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Last edited by Lemmy; March 11, 2003 at 18:30.
Old March 11, 2003, 18:25   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
FM as we are. This will help us prepare the soldiers and military equipment we need to take on Yang. We may need to drop into Green or something when we attack (although hopefully not), so let's just stay as we are and reassess this when leaving FM may actually be an ADVANTAGE instead of a needless hindrance.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 11, 2003, 18:25   #3
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 16:29
It should come as no surprise that I'm voting FM. More energy per turn, more bases in golden age, no difference in reserach speed (in the turn sense, not sure lab points-wise), in # of rioting bases, or in ecological damage.

Btw, is some provision going to be made for TKG's vote?
Old March 11, 2003, 18:27   #4
Lemmy
King

We just received word from the front that TKG is voting for FM, 1 vote will be manually added to FM at the end of the poll
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Old March 11, 2003, 23:20   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:29
PS Thanks Lemmy - you'll notice I was the first to vote this time.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 12, 2003, 02:25   #6
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:29
FM as is, of course. As I said last time, no need to scrap a perfectly good system in favour of one which is clearly ineferior in every aspect (and the attack on Yang should not be a concern; we have Egregion, remember?).
Old March 12, 2003, 03:54   #7
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 21:29
GREEN!

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 12, 2003, 04:24   #8
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Now, once again: Would somebody on the Green side liek to give ana rgument as to why we should give up a few lab points, a lot of money, and a lot of GAs for no apparent benefit?
Old March 12, 2003, 04:32   #9
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Do you want game or RP reasons?

-Jam
Old March 12, 2003, 04:34   #10
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Game ones would be nice, but either will do. Just pelase try to avoid making arguments that have already been shot down or are now irrelevant (like Drogue did the last time this was polled).
Old March 12, 2003, 04:39   #11
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
Now, once again: Would somebody on the Green side liek to give ana rgument as to why we should give up a few lab points, a lot of money, and a lot of GAs for no apparent benefit?
Benefits of Green : Better Police rating, better Planet rating, better Efficiency rating.

I'd say its not "...for no apparent benefit..." and this is without the RP reasons.

-Jam
Old March 12, 2003, 04:43   #12
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

But the point is that none of these extra ratings are of any help to us. We don't need police (we do better with 20% Psych and no police), we don't need a higher Planet rating (we don't pollute in the first place), and we don't need a higher efficiency rating (it produces signifcantly less than we have right now).
Old March 12, 2003, 06:22   #13
Lemmy
King

Quote:
We don't need police
There is no urgent need, but there is definitely a use for it. We could send out military outside our border without the civil unrest that it casuses.

We don't need all those credits under FM either, we also don't need those golden ages.

Saying "we don't need it", isn't really an argument IMO.
Old March 12, 2003, 06:33   #14
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

When I say 'we don't need it' wrt this, I'm saying that they aren't worth giving up everything else. Police is the only thing that Green offers over FM atm, and the problem of unrest form overseas deployment will be solved soon enough anyway.
Old March 12, 2003, 06:38   #15
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
...Police is the only thing that Green offers over FM...
What about the fact we can kick ass in psy-combat? Or pollute less, or have distant bases contributing more to our faction? Governers of bases with high inefficiency should be voting Green, just for the sake of the people they represent. Part of the job of a province governor is to make his province as good as possible - this means low inefficency.

Go Green!

-Jam
Old March 12, 2003, 06:57   #16
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
What about the fact we can kick ass in psy-combat?
A plus, but not a big one.

Quote:
Or pollute less,
Can't have less pollution than zero.

Quote:
or have distant bases contributing more to our faction?
Counterproductive, since it takes energy away from the abses that can best use it.

Quote:
Governers of bases with high inefficiency should be voting Green, just for the sake of the people they represent.
Why? They benefit more from increases in overall income, not regional income.

Quote:
Part of the job of a province governor is to make his province as good as possible - this means low inefficency.
Yes - but if they promote their own region's interests at the expense of those of everyone else, they're not doing their duty.
Old March 12, 2003, 08:37   #17
Cedayon
King

The Police rating: with Egregion and 20% psych there's no real difference, particularly when we get enough mag tube squares that we can ship new units to Egregion immediately for rehoming and then send them where they need to go.

The Efficiency rating:
-It would give us more flexibility in SE spending, but 40/40 works just fine (plenty of rushing cash and plenty of lab points).
-It would reduce the number of beuracracy based drones by some amount, though I think the extra psych spending in our current system outweighs that significantly.
-If we were to expand a *LOT* more the extra efficiency would definately help in the "actually-getting-some-energy-out-of-far-away-bases" matter... but I think we're about done except for a few bases on the north end of the continent. +2 Econ gives us a great deal more energy than the +2 Effic probably ever will.

The Planet rating:
-Should we start to pollute (and, believe me, we *will* if we build Gennies in places like DEM, without major worker restructuring), this would heavily reduce the amount of ED that would actually take place. Under FM our ED could get well into the *hundreds* if a base went into the high 70s-low 80s mineral range. This is avoidable, however, by simply not building Gennies and/or being careful with worker/crawler assignments.
-Psi-combat: this is probably the most unmitigated advantage I can think of that Green would give. We'd fight better in Psi, no question. However, with the Amp up and the ability to build lots and lots of units and Fusion reactor tech and... etc... we can own the native life just fine as it is if they get uncooperative.

Thank you, folks, for presenting game-based arguments for Green. Regrettably, they do not stack up to the hundreds of ec's/turn and 8 more GA's we get under FM.
Old March 12, 2003, 08:39   #18
Lemmy
King

Whatever the Governors priority (region or faction) is, it isn't mentioned in the constitution, so saying that it is or isn't their duty to vote in favor of efficiency would be an opinion, not fact.
Old March 12, 2003, 08:54   #19
Jamski
Deity

It was indeed an opinion. But it was mine so it was a good opinion.

-Jam
Old March 12, 2003, 15:19   #20
Kirov
Prince

Green of course. There are things more important than money, especially those earned by few big cheese.
Old March 12, 2003, 16:14   #21
Cedayon
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirov
Green of course. There are things more important than money, especially those earned by few big cheese.
I don't care who earns it, as long as I get to spend it!
Old March 12, 2003, 16:59   #22
Kirov
Prince

I always knew you're one of THEM
Old March 12, 2003, 17:09   #23
Cedayon
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirov
I always knew you're one of THEM
Nah, I'm just the DIA. DIA's like to spend money ... well, except Voltaire, but there's a reason he didn't win
Old March 12, 2003, 20:24   #24
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 22:29
FM. I was toying with the idea of voting green just to throw a monkey wrench into to smmoth progress to victory, but that'd be so immature... And for RL reasons as well, of course. Who wants to end up like Somalia!?
Old March 12, 2003, 21:59   #25
Kirov
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
FM. I was toying with the idea of voting green just to throw a monkey wrench into to smmoth progress to victory, but that'd be so immature... And for RL reasons as well, of course. Who wants to end up like Somalia!?
Somalia runs Green!?
Old March 13, 2003, 17:42   #26
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Greener than Poland, for sure. Dead bodies and starvation is the ultimate in Green, after all.
Old March 14, 2003, 10:21   #27
Kirov
Prince

And I have always thought the ultimate goal of Green are the reigns of squirrels...
Old March 14, 2003, 13:10   #28
moomin
King

Nah. More like cockroaches. Green is inherently antihuman, so it attracts losers from all over the political spectrum - spolied brats who ended up vegans because they thought talking Disney animals where cute, former socialist that can no longer peddle their ideology now that its corpse stinks to high heaven... Anything, as long as you can express your loathing for those who are more successful. That's Green.
Old March 14, 2003, 13:46   #29
Kirov
Prince

I think that being fond of those Disney animals is one of the best reasons of becoming a vegan I've ever heard... Go Green!
Old March 14, 2003, 15:11   #30
Lemmy
King

/me wonders where all the green voters went
There were a lot more green votes in the previous poll.