Old March 11, 2003, 18:44   #1
justjake73
Prince

Local Time: 16:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Stop Doing That!!
Has anyone had this happen? I update my colony ship or outpost with the latest engine, play a few turns, save, come back, and those ships have reverted back to the previous engine?!?!?
and in the darkness bind them.
justjake73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 19:24   #2
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

How about you try not making new ships the same name as the default configurations? I assume that's what you're doing, and I see how that could cause problems.

I typically make Colony Pods, etc for my names.
Epistax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 20:52   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:29
Depending on the timing of event, you could have a normal occurence. The saves are not a save for what you have at that point in time. It will be the data that was in the autosave, IOW the start of the turn. So making an update and finsihing the turn and then loading from the save will just put you back where you were before that save. It really sucks that my save is really only good for preventing a wrapping of the 5 autosave. It makes it hard to find a stopping place for a break.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 21:11   #4
justjake73
Prince

I don't understand what was just said....

If I update the ship on turn 80 and save on turn 84, why does it revert back to the original? Do I have to rename it? Is there a bug where anything named "Colony Ship" automatically has retro engines?
Old March 11, 2003, 23:29   #5
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by justjake73

If I update the ship on turn 80 and save on turn 84, why does it revert back to the original? Do I have to rename it? Is there a bug where anything named "Colony Ship" automatically has retro engines?
I believe what they are saying, is that, fi you give it the same name as the original colony ship, it will still build the original colony ship instead of your updated version.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2003, 00:35   #6
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:

No if you save on T80 and reload t80 it will not be at the point you saved it, but rather at the start of that turn.
so that is not what happened.
Was the name of the colony the same as an existing one and did you obsolete one? If so double check to see if you mark the wrong one. If not then lok for gremlins.
Old March 12, 2003, 00:36   #7
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1

No if you save on T80 and reload t80 it will not be at the point you saved it, but rather at the start of that turn.
so that is not what happened.
Was the name of the colony the same as an existing one and did you obsolete one? If so double check to see if you marked the wrong one. If not then look for gremlins.
Old March 12, 2003, 13:26   #8
justjake73
Prince

I change retro engines to fusion on turn 80. I mark the "old" one obsolete but keep the name Colony Ship for simplicity's sake. I save on turn 84, come back some time later, reload, and it's like I never made the change back on turn 80.

And that stinks!
Old March 12, 2003, 13:41   #9
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 23:29
You´re sure, that you really mark the old one and not the new one?
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2003, 15:22   #10
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
I change retro engines to fusion on turn 80. I mark the "old" one obsolete but keep the name Colony Ship for simplicity's sake. I save on turn 84, come back some time later, reload, and it's like I never made the change back on turn 80.

And that stinks!
Wow I have not seen that. I do a similar thing with many types. I bring up a ship in current design, make changes and confirm teh new design. I now have two ships listed with the same name. I look at them both and find the old one and mark it obsolte and go on my way. I do not reload until I get up the next day, so I can not say this has not happened, but I suspect I would have noticed, but maybe not.
Old March 15, 2003, 21:19   #11
Vince278
King

Local Time: 21:29
Not seen the problem. I always make old designs obsolete before designing anyway. Guess I'm learning to compensate for the AI already.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 00:04   #12
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I had one that was somewhat similar.

Saved and came back and all of my ships orders were lost and they were back in the systems that they started their moves in.

Anyone?
Old March 16, 2003, 00:16   #13
BlueDEvil
Chieftain

If you save at anytime during the turn, all your actions are not save. Only your creation task action is saved. When you load the game, you get only task creation messages. All the messages in the Sitrep is gone. You have to move your ships, send diplomatic messages, queue your units, manage new colonies and in fact, do everything again without the Sitrep messages.
BlueDEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 08:52   #14
justjake73
Prince

I realized that early on, so I end a turn and save right at the start of the next.

Then again, what's the point of saving, since Autosave is just the same?
Old March 16, 2003, 17:49   #15
BlueDEvil
Chieftain

I believe autosave is better as it saves right at the start of the turn. Your Sitrep messages should still be active.
BlueDEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2003, 16:08   #16
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Re: Stop Doing That!!
Quote:
Has anyone had this happen? I update my colony ship or outpost with the latest engine, play a few turns, save, come back, and those ships have reverted back to the previous engine?!?!?
What do you mean by "those ships"?
1) Anything already built (in the reserve box or deployed in a task force) will keep the design it was built with.
2) Anything already in a production queue will be built with the design in effect when it was added to the queue even if you make the old design obsolete and/or create a new one with the same name.
3) NOTHING you do on the turn you save, gets saved. Since we are talking about ship designs, if you make a new ship design, add some ships of that design to a planetary build queue and save without hitting the turn button, that new design will not be saved, and ships with that design will not exist in any build queue. Can you say BUG!!!
4) As far as I know (which I will admit is not very much when it comes to this game) there is no way to literally "update" a ship design. You need to make the old design obsolete and create a new one, which you can give the same name if you want.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2003, 22:59   #17
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Don't forget to scrap the old design if you want to truly eliminate it. That will clear the build queues as well as the old fleet. It's a good way to remove the older troop transports out to make room for the bigger, faster troop ships. Or to make your fleet list a little more realistic. There's nothing more fantastic than looking at your fleet in task force creation and thinking you'll murder someone, attacking, and realizing the amazing force you're sitting on is 99.9% troop ship.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote