Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 08:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Terrain settings and mod ideas
So what terrain settings will we use?

For a challenge, here's what I would set the terrain to:

Land mass and water coverage: RANDOM.

You don't know how much land you're likely to get or whether you need to build galleys early. Will you need the Lighthouse wonder for that edge in an archipelago world, or will it be useless because you got a Pangea?

Climate: Arid
Temperature: Cool

Tough. Really tough. With these settings, you're counting each grassland square, looking at huge mountain ranges, and have to do something with a lot of size 2 cities.

Mods:
We can play some mods. Simple ones. My favourite thing to do with mods is to tweak the bonus resources a bit.

The Game resource is a good one to tweak. In my current mod, I reduce the bonus of this down to +1 food, and add Game to Jungles, Plains, Flood Plains and Hills. Each game bonus square does less individually but it is more ubiquitous.

Another fun thing to do is to expand the unit list that barbarians can "build". I added Archers and Horsemen to Warrior. The barbarian build list governs what units can come out of a goody hut. This adds variety without breaking the game too much.