Local Time: 16:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Serbian Prime Minister Assasinated!
Quote:
Today: March 12, 2003 at 6:01:18 PST

Serbian Prime Minister Is Assassinated

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro (AP) -

Serbian Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic - a key leader of the revolt that toppled former President Slobodan Milosevic in October 2000 - was assassinated Wednesday by gunmen who ambushed him outside the government complex, police sources said.

Djindjic, 50, died in a Belgrade hospital after having been shot in the abdomen and back, the sources told The Associated Press.

Two people were arrested and one was injured in the shooting, witnesses said.

The government building where Djindjic was ambushed was sealed off by heavy state security, and three ambulances were parked in front. Police stopped traffic in downtown Belgrade, searching through cars and checking passengers.

Djindjic appeared to have been targeted last month, when a truck suddenly cut into the lane in which his motorcade was traveling to Belgrade's airport. The motorcade narrowly avoided a collision, and Djindjic later dismissed the Feb. 21 alleged assassination attempt as a "futile effort" that could not stop democratic reforms.

"If someone thinks the law and the reforms can be stopped by eliminating me, then that is a huge delusion," Djindjic was quoted as saying by the Politika newspaper at the time.

The assassination of Djindjic heralds turbulent days for Serbia and a bitter power struggle for his successor. Otpor, or Resistance, an independent pro-democracy group, said the shooting means "criminals have won the battle" in Serbia.

Djindjic had many enemies because of his pro-reformist and Western stands. He was key in Milosevic's extradition to the U.N. War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands.

Djindjic, a pro-Western leader, saw Serbia's fate as linked to the West and favored greater cooperation with the U.N. war crimes tribunal, where Milosevic now is standing trial on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity.

He was pivotal in arresting and handing Milosevic to the war crimes tribunal in June 2001. For this, he was blasted by Serbian nationalists, including his former ally Vojislav Kostunica, who stepped down as Yugoslav president earlier this month after the formation of a new state, Serbia and Montenegro.

Djindjic's feud with Kostunica since the two jointly toppled Milosevic had virtually paralyzed the country's much-needed economic and social reforms.

Djindjic was often criticized by his opponents for seeking too much power and for "mercilessly" attacking his political rivals.

A German-educated technocrat known to supporters as "The Manager" for his organizational skills and as "Little Slobo" to his detractors for his authoritarian tendencies, Djindjic nonetheless managed to gain some political capital from his willingness to surrender Milosevic despite a constitutional ban on extraditing Serbian citizens.

Though derided for his fondness for big cars and flashy suits, Djindjic's trade of Milosevic for $1.2 billion in international economic aid appeared to have won respect from people desperate to improve a living standard that ranks among the lowest in Europe.

Born in 1952 into the family of a Yugoslav army officer in the town of Bosanski Samac near the Bosnian border, Djindjic was raised and educated in Belgrade.

In the early 1970s he enrolled in the School of Philosophy at Belgrade University, a hotbed of liberal opposition to the Communist regime. In 1977, he left to earn a doctorate in philosophy at Heidelberg, Germany.

Djindjic had taken an active part in all protests against Milosevic's rule since 1991. He became Democratic Party president in 1994 and was active in the anti-government protests of 1996-97.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...031201431.html

Someone remind me why we got rid of Slobo, again...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 12, 2003, 10:29   #2
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 22:35
Well I preferred my closed thread
Old March 12, 2003, 10:30   #3
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Hey, I apologized for choosing this one and gave some type of reason. I never do that to Bod.
Old March 12, 2003, 10:48   #4
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 21:35
holy crap
Old March 12, 2003, 10:51   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:35
FP beat me to it. Holy crap.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 12, 2003, 10:53   #6
TheStinger
King

The point i made in my (tragicaly) closed thread was that a Balkan crisis might give the US/UK some manuver rome over Iraq because if it kicks off in Serbia France and Germany won't be able to sort it out without them
Old March 12, 2003, 10:55   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

True Stinger, but I expect that yet another Balkan war is the last thing the US and UK want. They've got their hands full already.
Old March 12, 2003, 10:56   #8
The Mad Monk
Emperor

(Sorry about the closure, guy)

Somebody please remind me under what UN resolution and at who's behest we took down Slobo in the first place.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 12, 2003, 10:57   #9
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
True Stinger, but I expect that yet another Balkan war is the last thing the US and UK want. They've got their hands full already.
No they won't but I expect the germans would want tehm to assist in stopping any conflict
Old March 12, 2003, 10:58   #10
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
(Sorry about the closure, guy)

Somebody please remind me under what UN resolution and at who's behest we took down Slobo in the first place.
Not a problem

No resolution eevn considered as Russia would have vetoed, but thats ok as France supported that action
Old March 12, 2003, 11:04   #11
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Ah, I see...
Old March 12, 2003, 11:08   #12
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger

No they won't but I expect the germans would want tehm to assist in stopping any conflict
The Germans and French fancy themselves leaders, unfortunately that means that ever so often you actually have to do something. I do hope that this does not lead to wider conflict, but perhaps we will see just how Germany and France lead. Can you imagine the scene of German and French troops in the area. I wonder what the older people will think.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old March 12, 2003, 11:14   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: Serbian Prime Minister Assasinated!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Someone remind me why we got rid of Slobo, again...
Last I heard, Milosevic wasn't convicted by the International Court of Tribunal on former Yugoslavia and Rwanda. If he is an evil a man as the West made him out to be, that shouldn't be such a hard task.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:16   #14
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: Re: Serbian Prime Minister Assasinated!
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Last I heard, Milosevic wasn't convicted by the International Court of Tribunal on former Yugoslavia and Rwanda. If he is an evil a man as the West made him out to be, that shouldn't be such a hard task.
His War Crimes trial is still in progress IIRC, and from what I've read the evidence is really stacking up against him.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:16   #15
TheStinger
King

He is being tried at the moment, it hasn't finished yet.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:19   #16
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yes, he is being tried. My point was, if Milosevic is really such a monster, there certainly is no need for such a long trial for the amount of evidence certainly should be overwhelming. Just Kosovo would have nailed his hide.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:20   #17
TheStinger
King

Oh i see do a quick show trial, I'm sure you would support that
Old March 12, 2003, 11:24   #18
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

There were undoubtably lots of atrocities on all sides during the Yugoslavian civil wars during Slobo's time in power.
Finding out which of the 23,541 war crimes that occured were ones for which he was directly responsible is important - because then you know which ones need further investigation to identify the main culprits.
Old March 12, 2003, 12:07   #19
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
Oh i see do a quick show trial, I'm sure you would support that
After all, thats how they do it in the PRC.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old March 12, 2003, 12:07   #20
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:35
I'm all for letting the Euros sort out European issues without us.
We'll handle Latin America, Asia and the Middle East.
More than a fair trade.
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old March 12, 2003, 12:09   #21
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 23:35
Man, this is sad

I switched TV on ca. 30 min. ago and saw an obviously old, long interview with Djindjic. I wondered why they brought it again on screen, but found him very convincing, very concerned about establishing a stable, democratic Serbia. Then I saw the news...
Old March 12, 2003, 12:09   #22
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Who gets New Jersey?
Old March 12, 2003, 12:11   #23
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 17:35
The last high-profile assassination carried out in Serbia that I'm aware of had some rather dire consequences...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 12, 2003, 12:13   #24
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

We should start digging the trenches now.
Old March 12, 2003, 12:14   #25
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
I'm all for letting the Euros sort out European issues without us.
We'll handle Latin America, Asia and the Middle East.
More than a fair trade.
oh jesus christ...
Old March 12, 2003, 12:16   #26
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
oh jesus christ...
Having a religious experience, are we?

Here's a tip: If you see a light at the end of a tunnel, try walking TOWARDS the light.
Old March 12, 2003, 12:27   #27
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 15:35
let's get real: one assassination is not going to plunge the world into another WW just because WW1 started that way.

I think the US was idiotic to ever get involved in this mess. It was France and co. who wanted to rid themselves of Milosevic and got the US to do their dirty work. Interestingly enough, France bypassed the UN entirely on that little affair because Russia promised to veto any resolution, but now expect the US to get UN support for our business and won't support us. Ungrateful rats!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old March 12, 2003, 12:31   #28
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
let's get real: one assassination is not going to plunge the world into another WW just because WW1 started that way.
Of course not, since Austria is no power anymore, and since we have a completely different system of alliances now....

However, worst case for me would be a situation where old hyper-nationalistic forces come to power again in Serbia - this would endanger the entire Balkan again
Old March 12, 2003, 12:32   #29
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
The point i made in my (tragicaly) closed thread was that a Balkan crisis might give the US/UK some manuver rome over Iraq because if it kicks off in Serbia France and Germany won't be able to sort it out without them

Don't "help" again
Old March 12, 2003, 12:35   #30
Sprayber
Emperor

Yeah, Greece has everything under control.