Old March 12, 2003, 10:45   #1
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 21:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Who has experience of Ebay?
Anyone out there want to give tips/warnings about Ebay?

I entered a couple of auctions for the first time today. I've always been hesitant before because I didn't feel entirely comfortable with giving my money to some stranger in the hope that they'll send me what I bought .... but there was something I wanted and I saw it cheap so decided to give it a go.*

So ... any Ebay stories you want to share?

* - No, I'm not telling you what it is .... I don't want you gits outbidding me!
Old March 12, 2003, 11:03   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I bought a game at eBay. I suppose the rating system works quite well, because I picked somebody with a good rating. That worked out well.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:07   #3
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 16:35
I've bought a 10-20 or so items (all computer related) and found it to be very good. I got ripped off once, probably by a postal worker.

I found that I could find similar (and better) prices for most stuff though at online stores so I stopped using it. Paypal is a big improvement over the payment methods used before (although they have some real bullshit policies about credit card users that caused me to boycott them ).

As with all auctions, do research and decide what you think the item is worth and only bid that max-amount. Its just as easy to bid up the price online in the spur of the moment as it is at a live auction house.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:08   #4
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Yeah, the people I'm trying to buy things from have very high feedback ratings - so I'm hopeful that it owuld go smoothly.
Still, it's daunting prospect.

I've set my maximum bid quite low for the moment just to get my nose in front of the pack. I figure that if someone goes over my current limit I'll be able to reassess the situation.

I would happily pay double my current max bid, but I've seen other auctions for these where the price is 5 times what I'm currently at. Hopefully this one will slip under the radar.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:09   #5
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I've bought three items, no trouble at all. I used personal checks, but you have to make sure the other party will accept them. I've been told to steer clear of paypal unless there's no other way, because its apparently easy to defraud.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:12   #6
SpencerH
Emperor

I always used a credit card which gives you more protection from the *******s.

If you're buying from the really big sellers, look to see if they have an online store. Many do, with the same prices (sometimes cheaper), and I always felt more comfortable dealing with them that way.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:16   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:35
By the way, be careful of computer games that come with no box and printed manual. What happens is the owner makes a copy, sells the original on eBay, and keeps the box and manual for himself.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:24   #8
SpencerH
Emperor

Ebay seems to be much tougher about pirated copies and about oem OS versions that weren't for re-sale than they once were. It used to be you could find hundreds of sellers of older OS's (win98se) for very good prices but now you dont.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:57   #9
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Good stuff! Use it frequently, and haven't had any troubles! Recommend though, that you pay close attention as the auction winds down....near the end, people invariably come on and make last minute bids....if you're gonna lose out, it'll be in the last fifteen minutes of the auction...

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old March 12, 2003, 12:05   #10
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Good stuff! Use it frequently, and haven't had any troubles! Recommend though, that you pay close attention as the auction winds down....near the end, people invariably come on and make last minute bids....if you're gonna lose out, it'll be in the last fifteen minutes of the auction...
Hi Vel

Good points, but I suppose the safest plan would be for me to set my maximum bid at the most I'm prepared to pay and just ignore the auction for the last 12 hours. The proxy bidding system shoudl take care of the rest. That way I won't be tempted into paying more than I can afford .... of course it would help if I had more will power.

On the other hand, even if my upper ceiling is (for example) £50, I suppose it would be silly for me to lose the auction to a £51 bid when I could have gone the extra yards and paid £52 myself. I'll keep my eyes on the auction (and remember to refresh the screen ) as the end approaches.
Old March 12, 2003, 12:47   #11
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 22:35
I have bought a few things on ebay, with no bad experiences. While it is generally not worth it for common items, it is excellent for rare or odd things like 40 pounds of Lego bricks. Be warned that the bid will often double in the last few minutes. Just bid what you really would pay, even if it is a lot higher than the current bid. Then forget the auction until it is over.

My dad does a LOT of buying and selling on Ebay, almost all of it baseball cards. He has gotten quite good at it, and manages to break even in dollar terms while constantly expanding his card collection. It´s kind of funny, since he was a bit of a Luddite and didn´t like spending the money for a computer, but now spends the most time online. He has easily gotten enough cards to fully pay for the computer.
Old March 12, 2003, 13:10   #12
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 07:35
I've made about £1000 on eBay so far selling things - never bought anything though...
Old March 12, 2003, 15:40   #13
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Buying things has been good for people in my family ( I have never used it myself). I tried to sell something though and someone just did the "buy it now" and never paid me. I never shipped it but it is a pain in the a** when you have to get the listing fee back and then get it up again for auction.

Sell your photos
Old March 12, 2003, 15:51   #14
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
I haven't tried ebay, but I've been trying those auction sites of new electronics and hardware.

Are those good?
Old March 12, 2003, 15:59   #15
Clear Skies
Prince

If anyone's selling a stick, don't buy it.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old March 12, 2003, 17:14   #16
Stuie
King

Local Time: 17:35
I've used eBay a lot and never had any problems. Like others have said, I use it mostly for rare/hard to find items. It's rare that something more main-stream "falls through the cracks", though I did recently get an out of print video a lot cheaper than I though possible - closing price was only US$9.00, and that was after bidding on similar ones and watching them go to US$20+
Old March 12, 2003, 17:20   #17
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 22:35
Ebay...

Avoid it like plague- I HATE Ebay
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 12, 2003, 17:30   #18
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I've had good experiences with ebay and have been using it infrequently for years. If you buy something for a substantial amount of money, make sure that you do escrow. I've bought some pretty big items.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 12, 2003, 20:04   #19
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:35
I got my graphics card on eBay, around $100 less than what it would have cost me in stores. The person I bought off had a good rating, and everything went smoothly.

My sister is quite the expert on eBay, and won an auction the other day by placing a bid on the item 2 seconds before the auction ended.
Old March 12, 2003, 20:08   #20
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bruns
I have bought a few things on ebay, with no bad experiences. While it is generally not worth it for common items, it is excellent for rare or odd things like 40 pounds of Lego bricks. Be warned that the bid will often double in the last few minutes. Just bid what you really would pay, even if it is a lot higher than the current bid. Then forget the auction until it is over.
Nah, the better way is to determine the most that you want to pay, and then in the last few seconds make that bid. Why give others 3 days notice on how much you have bid? You have a much better chance of winning it if you do it right at the end.
Old March 12, 2003, 20:08   #21
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

My friend's mother used to buy and sell shoes on eBay...

Do It Ourselves
Old March 12, 2003, 20:43   #22
Ishtar
Settler

FP---

I've purchased several things from e bay on different occasions. I recently purchased a VHS movie that I couldn't find new anywhere. The person corresponded with me via email and my video arrived safe and sound.

Haven't had any bad experiences.

Good Luck With Your Bidding!!

Ishie :-)

Last edited by Ishtar; March 12, 2003 at 20:49.
Old March 12, 2003, 20:46   #23
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I had a semi-bad experience with ebay

I bought a book, a barbri law book. The guy said that it was brand new, but the copyright page was torn out, you could see the perferated edge in the book. I emailed the guy a pic that you could see the torn page. What book doesn't give the publishigng date? Very suspicious. The guy was being a real jerk about it, so I just cut my losses and moved on, not giving him a good rating. it was only like 40 bucks or something and I had to start studying immideately. Luckily it was only the previous edition and there weren't that many changes (it was an MPRE (ethics exam) book)
Old March 12, 2003, 20:47   #24
Skanky Burns

Ironic.
Old March 12, 2003, 20:49   #25
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 14:35
Ive had nothing but good experiences both selling and buying on ebay.
Old March 12, 2003, 20:49   #26
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Ironic.
Yeah, it was quite amusing, having a guy screw me on an ethics book