View Poll Results: What do you wanna play in the next Civ DG?
1- Vanilla Civ3, patched 1.29 11 18.03%
2- Vanilla PTW 20 32.79%
3- Double your Pleasure Mod 12 19.67%
4- Apolyton University Mod 9 14.75%
5- Any version, with the GengisFarb suggestion (2~3 civs playing factions of the same Democracy (specify) 7 11.48%
6- I don't care, lets play banana 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 14, 2003, 16:19   #31
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
also, what do we do about the Constitution and the court system.

hell, we're starting over, we can make all the changes we want now before the next game starts.
Old March 14, 2003, 16:31   #32
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Local Time: 22:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
All I'm saying is: WE NEED ANOTHER CLASSIC DEMOCRACY GAME, NEW MEMBERS NEED THAT, POLY NEEDS THAT.
And of course, if you choose DyP, I'll put up a big link on the DyP site to the DyP Democracy Game, and the DyP site gets an average of 6.000 hits a month, so it would also help Poly attract new customers

Sorry, j/k - I'll let you get on with the discussion now
Old March 14, 2003, 17:38   #33
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 15:39
Quote:
Originally posted by isak

And of course, if you choose DyP, I'll put up a big link on the DyP site to the DyP Democracy Game, and the DyP site gets an average of 6.000 hits a month, so it would also help Poly attract new customers

Sorry, j/k - I'll let you get on with the discussion now
If you guys agree to have a Jiggle-Motion Democracy game all try to get me computer revamped to generate them and put a link to the forum on my site.
Old March 14, 2003, 18:30   #34
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think the game should be more faction orientated, and should allow for large scale mini-games that actually impact the game.

for example, the governmental system itself. what? revolution? who said that?

i think it would be AWESOME if the citizens of the game were assigned to regions / cities based on population.

perhaps the regions could have a certain # of votes (for empire-wide affairs) based on population, production, and trade (before corruption, of course).

If people were assigned to places (or, if they could move there, or if we assigned them in the beginning of the game), then they could have local elections for regional administrators. This way, there would end up being (in old game terms) DIA regions and UFC (or Hawk) regions.

The Administrator was elected by the people that live there, and he will do what the people wanted him to do. The DIA zones would end up having their whole infastrucure crap, and the UFC zones would be pumping out armies. The capital region would led by the current President, and would (ideally) be a mix of all parties.

This also allows for a fractured military. Now you're thinking how stupid that is, i'm thinking how awesome that is It's kinda like farb's idea, but it's all one civ.

I'll dig up my old ideas for GoW's feudalism system if anyones interested
Old March 14, 2003, 19:34   #35
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:39
The Double your Pleasure mod seems interesting!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old March 14, 2003, 20:00   #36
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

I have played DyP and would be more interested in a DyP demogame then a regular civ3 or PTW game for a couple of reasons

1) Variety. Already being involved in 2 PTW demogames, another "vanilla" civ3/PTW is not going to hold my interest.

2) Dfiferent strategy. the DyP mod forces players to adopt different strategies in city placement, units/city improvement builds, etc.

The negatives are:

1) less familiarity with the mod. Fewer ppl have played this mod than civ3, so we would not have as many as we do for the first DG.

2) more time. This mod does lengthen the game.

Despite the negatives, I would prefer a DyP demogame for for variety and a different type of challenge.
Old March 14, 2003, 20:24   #37
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:39
Following up on Uber's suggestion, I think it would be a great deal of fun to do a PTW demo game with a somewhat fractured/divided system of government & regions. Perhaps a Republic or Confederacy sort of style of government where the central government is weaker than the regional governments? Would be fun interaction and lots of debate, and would be interesting to see if our less-than-ideal government structure can still come together to defeat a common foe.

Lots of good roleplaying and politics mixed in with all of the typical fun Civ3 issues.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old March 14, 2003, 21:54   #38
pikesfan
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

I wish the DyP mod had some words that explained what’s in it.
Old March 14, 2003, 23:56   #39
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:39
pikesfan,

DyP has lots of bonus resources, luxuries and strategic resources. Two new palaces (Summer Palace and Winter Palace), with the effect of a palace and barracks (all Palaces now work as barracks, too). Lots of city improvements, new techs, new units... New Great and Small Wonders, 7 (seven!) new government types... It's a whole new game!
You can say this in DyP's favor: you're in the dark at the beginning, because the traditional civ3 experience will not help you too much... If we want a challenge, DyP is a big one.

Spam Time: Please, folks... You must remember, no matter what we choice, we need a traditional (vanilla) Democracy game (even if we have to play two DGs at the same time!). It's very important for Poly and for the new members.
Old March 15, 2003, 00:17   #40
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Vanilla PtW, 1.21f (or whatever letter it is)
---
DyP--nah. Just sounds like a little too much work, and I've got too much inertia.

However if someone comes up with a good reason, then we might do so. (We do need to keep a vanilla DG for n00bs )
Old March 15, 2003, 06:50   #41
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 21:39
I doubt any vanilla SPDG would have enough interest to keep it's head above water.

IMO there must be a SPDG and it must use DYP
Old March 15, 2003, 07:15   #42
theViking
Civilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 07:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
one word: BS
Old March 15, 2003, 08:06   #43
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by theViking
one word: BS

What's BS?
Old March 15, 2003, 08:08   #44
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
It's short for BullSh*t.
Old March 15, 2003, 08:13   #45
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Thanks, GeneralTacticus...
Well... theViking, what exactly do you mean?
Old March 15, 2003, 08:39   #46
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
I think he was referring to OPD's statement that any future SPDG had to use DyP.
Old March 15, 2003, 08:43   #47
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I agree. DyP, or any other mod, or the interest in the next SPDG will drop faster than you think.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old March 15, 2003, 09:25   #48
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Oh... Thanks again, Generaltacticus.
Old March 16, 2003, 10:46   #49
Aro
lifer
Emperor

My sugestion: Two games, one of them with the "Citystates concept" (this one needs a lot of discussion and planning), and the other a vanilla game (PTW patched 1.21 or Civ3 patched 1.29, the whole idea is in benefit of new members).
Can we afford this (I mean, do we have enough people?)? I think so, but it's me.
Comments?
Old March 16, 2003, 12:01   #50
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Members
Members are not the problem. W're quite short on members now, especially if we want to play the Citystates Game.
However don't forget that: there are many apolytoners member of the PTW DG who are not a member of the SPDG, these members are enthusiastic members and will join these new games because 1)they are not that far developed as the SPDG was when the PTW DG started. 2)because the second game is a new concept: the modes make the game different, the Citystates Game is entirely different from the common way of playing Civ3.
Second, a groop of new apolytoners will join when an article of the games will be put on the Civ3 main page.

Please post some comments on the citystates concept: Citystates Game.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old March 18, 2003, 18:54   #51
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

DyP - we're already playing 2 MP games with otherwise conventional rules, this would give people more choice. DGs are a great place to learn more about civ.
Old March 18, 2003, 19:12   #52
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

DP
Old March 18, 2003, 19:16   #53
realpolitic
Prince

DP
Old March 18, 2003, 21:27   #54
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:39
There's lots on DyP vs Vanilla, but not so much on the AU mod, which has a lot of support also.

Remember the AU mod is the mod the expert players use, and it has been successful enough to spawn at least half a dozen AU games in the strategy forum. I have personally never played one of these, but they look to be excellent ways of learning and refining strategy. As this is what the Demo game is all about for me, this is my vote - I want to learn and test what I have learned, and if the AU mod works for the experts, it's good enough for me.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 20, 2003, 21:29   #55
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i vote AU, highly factionalized (feudal) game.
Old March 21, 2003, 02:29   #56
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I'm new to the SPDG so I think it is most fitting that I do my first post here.

I say let's try the AU mod. It'll be a challange, and we have to prove just how good we are as a team.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 21, 2003, 03:02   #57
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Voted for 2
Old March 21, 2003, 09:02   #58
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Welcome, folks!
Old March 21, 2003, 12:16   #59
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

So what are we having? A Vanilla and a DyP? A Vanilla and a Citystates/GhengisFarb/Whatever-His-Idea-Means? I think we definitely have enough votes for Vanillas (combined) to be pretty sure that a 1.29f Vanilla is possible. (PtW fans, sorry , but more n00bs have 1.29f than PtW )
Old March 21, 2003, 17:27   #60
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

AU

or

vanilla ptw.... as the Koreans!