Old March 13, 2003, 23:56   #1
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 15:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Point Counts, PCRs, Mods: Now I'm Paranoid
I don't pay much attention to who's a king or warlord or settler. Don't care.
I pay no attention to my pc. Don't care.
I cruise through Apolyton on invisible mode and post when I feel like it.
Sometimes my post may be a paragraph or two, or just one word.
Recently I watched what happened at the Civ IV Bug thread at CivIII/PtW. Lots o' PCRs. That got me paying attention. But it's got me worried. And why am I worried? It's like an enforced paranoia where none should exist. Recently, again, I wanted to thank someone in a post for posting some help I needed. I don't wanna pm folks, because I don't much care for getting pms myself, and there may be other people like me. So I had to think 2wice about thinking 2wice about posting. Did it anyway.
Tonight I wanted to explain an earlier post and, again, I had to think 2wice about thinking 2wice. Did it anyway.

The points:
#1 Why are the numbers of posts so d**n important? I want to post when I feel like it's appropriate ( an even a "thanks" is sometimes appropriate, despite marginally OT).
#2 Why are the titles so d**n important to anybody? One has to be an elitist snob of a very low degree to care.

I know, it ain't my website.
Peace.
Old March 14, 2003, 00:07   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
If you feel like making a relevant post - do so. The mods are fair most of the time, and shouldn't punish you for making a post that adds to the thread, or even thanking someone else for adding to the thread.

But really, if you don't care about your post count, why do you not want to risk losing it?

I must admit I haven't followed the latest in the Civ3 forum, but mass PCRs seem interesting!
Old March 14, 2003, 00:14   #3
Tuberski

Local Time: 16:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
If you feel like making a relevant post - do so. The mods are fair most of the time, and shouldn't punish you for making a post that adds to the thread, or even thanking someone else for adding to the thread.

But really, if you don't care about your post count, why do you not want to risk losing it?

I must admit I haven't followed the latest in the Civ3 forum, but mass PCRs seem interesting!
I have to agree,post away if you don't care about PCRs and titles.

The part about Civ 3 IS interesting, have to check it for the first time in a month or so.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 14, 2003, 00:37   #4
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

I agree. Mods are people, too, you know. They won't punish you for thanking someone for help. (Unless that is, you post a thankyou after every word someone says.) They have common sense, and will not punish people that use common sense when posting.

I've been here for a while now, and never had a pcr, ban, or anything like that, not even a warning - even though I used to spend lots of time in Civ3 forums. Thus, you too don't have to worry as long as you don't spam. I don't see a reason for "paranoya" as you said.
Spore page
Old March 14, 2003, 03:00   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

the mods are nice to the new posters on the board usually, it'st the veteran flame warriors that they beat up on. don't worry about it
Old March 14, 2003, 04:38   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

That thread is freakin' hilarious!

Ming pops in several times to remind people to stay on topic... in a thread that is pure SPAM.

So then the next guy asks, 'uhhhh, what is the topic? This is pure spam.' A while later Ming pops back in to ban someone else. Then the next guy...
Old March 14, 2003, 06:53   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:42
Could someone post a link for the search-challenged?
Old March 14, 2003, 07:07   #8
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 22:42
Rob: the vast majority of the time you would have to do much more than that to earn a pcr. Like Skanky I don't know anything about the civ3 pcr's, but I am confident they were something like constant flaming or posting off topic.
Old March 14, 2003, 07:34   #9
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Could someone post a link for the search-challenged?
* alva gives Skanky a white walking stick and guides him through traffice to the other side of the road *

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=77850
Old March 14, 2003, 08:55   #10
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

You Candle'Bre folks could really try not to confuse the rest of us with your avatar changes. For some reason, I begin to mix up FP with alva.
Old March 14, 2003, 09:20   #11
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I have never given out a PCR or banned anyone that has simply said thank you or contributed to a topic. So Rob, I'm not sure where your paranoia is coming from. BUT, For the rest of you that are spamming this thread, I will consider massive PCR's.

RAH
Old March 14, 2003, 11:02   #12
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Mad Bomber got hammered didn't he. Did anyone else smell DL in that thread
Old March 14, 2003, 11:04   #13
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 18:42
I think that with some time and experience you'll know when and where to post things that really stretch the boundaries of what could be considered spam...

Not that I do it, not at all.
Old March 14, 2003, 11:37   #14
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
BUT, For the rest of you that are spamming this thread, I will consider massive PCR's.

RAH

see, now you're going to frighten him again!

Old March 14, 2003, 11:50   #15
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
see, now you're going to frighten him again!
.....and your point.
Old March 14, 2003, 12:00   #16
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:42
Oh man, what a silly thread. I wonder why Ming didn't close it the first time around?

Almost like Black Saturday...
Old March 14, 2003, 12:03   #17
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

.....and your point.
if he's afraid to post, he'll come somewhere else, and then Mark won't get as much ad money then. Think of the hundreths of a penny that you are costing them!
Old March 14, 2003, 12:26   #18
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

yes, think of my 4 (unborn) children!
Old March 14, 2003, 12:26   #19
Aramis
Prince

Several posts here have eased my worried little brain. I won't be complaining again, nor am I afraid to post when I feel that I want to.

To explain the apparent contradiction in my not caring about pc, yet not wanting a pcr, let me try a metaphor:

I go into a bakery. I want pie. I don't much care what kind of pie I get. I just don't wanna get it in the face.

Bye, now--Rob
Old March 14, 2003, 13:22   #20
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Are you getting fourlings Markos?!?! (or whatever word for such a challenge is...) Or are you only very ambitious...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old March 14, 2003, 14:38   #21
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Just hope his wife doesn't crash from the heavyload

I guess he can always reduce the options if something like that would happen...
Old March 14, 2003, 14:47   #22
DrSpike
Deity

@ Alva.

"Bear me 4 children or I'll restrict you for a week........and no spamming!"

Ah, the romance of the Greeks.
Old March 14, 2003, 15:10   #23
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Are you getting fourlings Markos?
no, but i plan to (in the next 25-30 years)
Old March 14, 2003, 15:19   #24
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

You shall not be afraid of posting. As long as you follow the rules. A simple thanks is nothing rulebreaking.

Of cource it's best if a post contributes to the thread, but you shall not have to think if a post is sometinh that you might get a PCR of if you don't seem to jump into some spaming activity or flame war, or even worse start it yourself.

I somtimes makes misstakes posting, and don't want to edit my post for one or another reson (it might for instance already be read if some time has past). In that case I'll not edit the post to change sometinh I was wrong about or add anything I forgot, but instead post a new message. There is nothing wrong with it. However, you shall not develop a posting pattern where you post five posts in a row without anyone else posting inbetwenn, and only one of the posts is long.

Also quoting myself is something that I might do when I figure out an answer myself and no one else has answered, or when I figure that something I said was wrong, or if I want to build on somthing I said for a longer time ago.

No matter what I think before starting to write a reply that I can add something to this thread; or this person has helped me in significans before I even start writing a reply. Now I'm not saying that I never have stopped mystel from posting something just before pushing the submit button, because that would be lying. However if I stop a reply it's for a very good reasson which I figure out while writing the reply. I've sometimes had hold myself while speaking of what I'm currently working on in my tool, as I know that any sush post would just put more pressure on me in fininshing that part soon, and if I know it will take too long I'll not post it. Also sometimes it's these posts that are to simple, and mostly looking is if I'm immitating another poster in the thread.

But I advice you to post with your heart, and not with your brain. If you feel that it is right to post a reply trhen post it. Don't think of every possible thing that post can break the rules with. Of course you must know the rules, and have some etics to follow your heart, but for most people that is no problem, and also if you dont know one paragraph in the rules you'll probably just get a warning by a mod if you break a small rule for the first time.
Old March 14, 2003, 15:19   #25
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 17:42
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
@ Alva.

"Bear me 4 children or I'll restrict you for a week........and no spamming!"

Ah, the romance of the Greeks.

No wonder they've been conquered so many times... too busy throwing PCRs at each other.
Old March 14, 2003, 15:27   #26
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Oh, and I want to add that I don't always read the full thread before replying. mostly I read the first post and any second intelligent post, as well as the last posts in the thread. It also sometimes makes me say things again that someone already has posted. Also sometimes I relpy without viewing more then page one of a thread, resulting in som silly post at page three However, in most of the cases where I reply without seeing the end of a thread I've found something which I realy realy want to answer to, (as your first post in this thread). Thinking back at It I read your post and the one by Skanky and then just needed to reply myself. Now that I see that you have decided to post more often my last post can probably be seen as totally unneeded. But it felt right to write it whern I did, and I hope someone still finds it useful.
Old March 14, 2003, 16:04   #27
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Oh, and I want to add that I don't always read the full thread before replying. mostly I read the first post and any second intelligent post,
Quote:

Thinking back at It I read your post and the one by Skanky
Does.......not.........compute.
Old March 14, 2003, 16:35   #28
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Does.......not.........compute.
Well, I did say mostly. However, a reply can always be trigged earlier.
Old March 14, 2003, 17:04   #29
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quote:

But I advice you to post with your heart, and not with your brain. If you feel that it is right to post a reply trhen post it. Don't think of every possible thing that post can break the rules with.
I call that line of thinking the "DO IT! DO IT FOR JESUS!! TORA, TORA, TORA!!" theory, and subscribe to it heavily. Occasionally at the expense of posting for the next few days.
Old March 14, 2003, 18:34   #30
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I've never been banned, and the only thing I've been thinking is what I'm writing, not why I'm posting or if I shall post.