Old October 25, 2003, 06:11   #61
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 06:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Created Civ1....Brian did Civ2 and SMACX, and then Sid and Jeffy created the abomination we know today as Civ3
ABOMINATION.... interesting how we so own the game they built.

ABOMINATION.... yeah, the game is pretty messed up.

ABOMINATION....
Old October 25, 2003, 18:03   #62
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 00:44
Stop blaiming Sid, will you? He hasn't created a bad game. Civ I was the masterpiece. Civ 2, on which he and Brian worked together, was great. Although some, including me, don't like specific aspects of Civ 2, it was great.

Civ 3 was created with little input from Sid... so if you believe Civ 3 is bad, no blaming Sid on that one.

Brian is great. Did Civ 2 and SMAC, which are fantastic. Also, made RoN - although it may now not be too active, it's still a great game.
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2003, 18:50   #63
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Stop blaiming Sid, will you? He hasn't created a bad game. Civ I was the masterpiece. Civ 2, on which he and Brian worked together, was great. Although some, including me, don't like specific aspects of Civ 2, it was great.

Civ 3 was created with little input from Sid... so if you believe Civ 3 is bad, no blaming Sid on that one.

Brian is great. Did Civ 2 and SMAC, which are fantastic. Also, made RoN - although it may now not be too active, it's still a great game.
Uhhh ummmm ok colour me pink and call me human.... but what is this about little imput from Sid on CivIII...?

It was my undersatnding that he was involved all the way.... I would like to know more please.

Thanks.
Old October 25, 2003, 18:52   #64
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Are you on drugs or something?
Oh but Comrade.... did you not know...! It is in the water...
Old October 25, 2003, 19:32   #65
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Sid did not design Civ 3. Which means that, he didn't decide on many gameplay aspects. That was done by Jeff Briggs. Sid was apparently more of a consultant or something... and busy with SimGolf (a game he actually designed) all the while.

While it's not exactly known to what extent Sid was involved, it's clear that he didn't "make" the game as he did with Civ 1 or 2.
Old October 25, 2003, 19:41   #66
Paddy
Prince

Well that is a shame...

and shame on him for plastering HIS name all over the shop in regards to CivIII.

money money money, always money... it is a shame
Old October 25, 2003, 20:01   #67
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 23:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The blame can mostly go to Atari on this one I think.

Sid Meier's anything will have more votes only because the name Sid Meier is mentioned on the box. Just look at our Apolytonian behaviour regarding the next Pirates game: we are giving quite some importance to the game (and some even want it to be covered by 'Poly), despite it having nothing to do with Civ.

We are simply in love with Sid Meier and he drives us and our purses nuts
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2003, 21:51   #68
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Quote:

Created Civ1....Brian did Civ2 and SMACX, and then Sid and Jeffy created the abomination we know today as Civ3
exactly my point.

Brian scores 2-1 in the great game compo

Solver: Last time I checked my Civ3 box said "Sid Meiers Civ3"
So maybe he should be little more careful what to take credit for. Or then it is a great game and I just dont like it.

Spiffor: Not all of us are in love with the guy. He started annoy me at the same second I saw his stupid face as my science advisor....Sid fuken jong Il. How narcistic of him.

The reason I think Sid is overrated is because he has in fact made only one good game...Civ 1 most of the other games are just unrelevant crap

- Paul Valery

Last edited by laurentius; October 25, 2003 at 21:59.
laurentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2003, 22:33   #69
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by laurentius

.....Solver: Last time I checked my Civ3 box said "Sid Meiers Civ3"
So maybe he should be little more careful what to take credit for. Or then it is a great game and I just dont like it. ........
I agree he should be more careful on where he splashes his name around...

then I may have put this out before but it really bugs me that companies like Firaxis put out PC games that need patches and expansion kits etc... I donot believe that they would be able to sell to the PlayStation market.... for there is no opportunity to download corrections on PS games...

Could be why I have not seen CivIII for the PS2...!
Old October 26, 2003, 09:26   #70
Solver
lifer
Deity

Civ 3 has Sid Meier's name on the box because it's bound to sell way more then. As it has already been pointed out, Pirates 2 are getting so much attention because of Sid's name...

Trust me, if the game was simply called Civ 3, fewer people would buy it.

In 1999, two games like Civ were released. Call to Power, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Even initially, before any opinions could come, Alpha Centauri sold more copies because it had Sid's name on the box, while CtP didn't.
Old October 26, 2003, 18:09   #71
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

It sucks, and is not an excuse.

- Paul Valery
Old October 26, 2003, 19:31   #72
Paddy
Prince

we are a passionate bunch
Old October 27, 2003, 18:08   #73
Solver
lifer
Deity

Quote:
It sucks, and is not an excuse.
And it is not an argument.
Old October 28, 2003, 04:20   #74
laurentius
King

Well, you say SM writes his name on the box because that way it will sell more. I understand that, but so what? Its it acceptable if the game is crap? I dont think so. Is it good marketing? In the long haul no. What the hell is it then? Its narcissim and overestimating the magic of SM's name. After enough crappy games, it doesnt work anymore. For me it doesnt anymore. After all its already 12 years since Civ1 was released.

- Paul Valery
Old October 28, 2003, 04:58   #75
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Well, you say SM writes his name on the box because that way it will sell more. I understand that, but so what? Its it acceptable if the game is crap? I dont think so. Is it good marketing? In the long haul no. What the hell is it then? Its narcissim and overestimating the magic of SM's name. After enough crappy games, it doesnt work anymore. For me it doesnt anymore. After all its already 12 years since Civ1 was released.
OK, good point, but do you have a strategy for sharing this with the world at large...?
Old October 28, 2003, 05:09   #76
laurentius
King

When I become the antichrist I'll let everyone know, I promise

- Paul Valery
Old October 28, 2003, 05:15   #77
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
When I become the antichrist I'll let everyone know, I promise
oh I am dealling with someone who wants to be the anti-christ excellent...

trouble with that is that when you become the anti-christ you will want to encourage these companies to sucker us more and more
Old October 28, 2003, 05:19   #78
laurentius
King

You're right. Maybe I'll just start to sell every game with MR. Meyers name on it

HAHAHAHAHA

- Paul Valery
Old October 28, 2003, 06:01   #79
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
You're right. Maybe I'll just start to sell every game with MR. Meyers name on it

HAHAHAHAHA
great...

I can just see the packaging...

Sid, The AntiChrist and a Pirate:

all steering Pirate ships with Cutlasses in their mouths....
all screaming "aye me hearty"
Old October 28, 2003, 15:57   #80
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 17:44
Quote:

exactly my point.

Brian scores 2-1 in the great game compo

Solver: Last time I checked my Civ3 box said "Sid Meiers Civ3"
So maybe he should be little more careful what to take credit for. Or then it is a great game and I just dont like it.

Spiffor: Not all of us are in love with the guy. He started annoy me at the same second I saw his stupid face as my science advisor....Sid fuken jong Il. How narcistic of him.

The reason I think Sid is overrated is because he has in fact made only one good game...Civ 1 most of the other games are just unrelevant crap
Ever play Sid Meier's Gettysburg?
Old October 28, 2003, 23:50   #81
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

Ever play Sid Meier's Gettysburg?
was it any good...?
Old October 29, 2003, 12:14   #82
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy the Scot

was it any good...?
hi ,

its a decent game

give it a try ones , copies can sometimes be found at around 10-15 bucks

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2003, 16:20   #83
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:

was it any good...?
I didn't think so, but then I'm not a fan of real-time games. I constantly put on pause to make adjustments to what I'm doing and that was tedious. I always won the battles - I don't see where the challenge was in this game.
Brundlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2003, 17:02   #84
Paddy
Prince

thanks for that. I appreciate feedback on games.
Old November 5, 2003, 05:55   #85
laurentius
King

So, some people think it is good and somepeople think it's unrelated. Most predictable since opinions vary.
But tell me why would anyone other than american care about any game called Gettysburg? Most people probably dont even know what, where, when and why about Gettysburg. It's not a civ game, its not universal, modifiable, its dated. Unlike civ2 and AC it hasnt stood the test of time.

The question still is wheter Sid Myers means quality or not. I thought it meant but I dont think so anymore.

- Paul Valery
Old November 5, 2003, 06:21   #86
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

So what if his name doesn't mean quality. This is a Civ site, not a Sid Meier site.

But for the record, I like most of the games he has created. Including Civ 3.

And with conquests coming, I have a feeling that more people wil come to like Civ 3.

Asmodean
Old November 5, 2003, 15:48   #87
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 21:44
Quote:
In 1999, two games like Civ were released. Call to Power, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Even initially, before any opinions could come, Alpha Centauri sold more copies because it had Sid's name on the box, while CtP didn't.
Apparently a lot of CTP1's sales were down to the fact that it was called "Civilization: Call to Power", i.e., it had the word "civilization" in it's title and people thought it was the sequel to Civ2. Actually, in a way, it was.

And as for "Gettysburg", Sid had help on that one too:

http://www.bighugegames.com/team/brianreynolds.html
Peter Triggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 16:12   #88
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi

I didn't think so, but then I'm not a fan of real-time games. I constantly put on pause to make adjustments to what I'm doing and that was tedious. I always won the battles - I don't see where the challenge was in this game.

Re pause - i like that, makes more emphasis on thought and less on how fast i can click. And to some degree its realistic. The game plays at roughly 5 times actual "real time" speed, (IE 2 and half hour battle plays in 30 minutes) So you should get extra time to make changes.

As for challenge. I find it challenging even on 3rd (IE fair) level. If highest is too easy, theres always MP (if theres still an MP community for this game) Maybe youre just a better player.

Or maybe you should handicap yourself by NOT constantly pausing to tweak your troops. That might both relieve tedium and make it more challenging.
Old November 14, 2003, 16:14   #89
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Triggs

Apparently a lot of CTP1's sales were down to the fact that it was called "Civilization: Call to Power", i.e., it had the word "civilization" in it's title and people thought it was the sequel to Civ2. Actually, in a way, it was.

And as for "Gettysburg", Sid had help on that one too:

http://www.bighugegames.com/team/brianreynolds.html

Quote from the Reynolds bio on the BHG site

"At Firaxis, he contributed to the design of Sid Meier's Gettysburg™(1997)"

CONTRIBUTED - this wasnt a "Brian Reynolds design" like SMAC.
Old November 14, 2003, 16:23   #90
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

was it any good...?
I think its an excellent game. A highly accurate (I think) recreation of the major engagements from the battle of Gettysburg at the grand tactical (IE regiment/Brigade) level. Includes detailed morale, formations, distance and height effects, leader effects, etc. You can maneuver regiments independently or grouped as brigades. Its real time, but IMHO it works. If you maneuver at brigade level there arent too many units to control, youre not building or researching anything (well D'uh) and the pathfinding works reasonably well. The real time makes playing the game much like watching a civil war movie, except, well, youre commanding (not always controlling ) one side.

An excellent example of 1. Using real time for an historically accurate war game 2. Making a real time game that doesnt play like a typical RTS. 3. Making an historically accurate war game thats fun and that was a reasonably big seller, as historically accurate war games go.

An influence, IIUC, on Shogun: Total war, on Rise of Nations, and on EU.

Definitely a good game, at the very least.