Old March 17, 2003, 10:50   #31
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 16:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits

As you well know, Friend Monk, an explorer can capture a city by direct assault (if it happens to be empty) - it is therefore de jure & de facto a military unit!

SG[1]
Well said Rabid One!! I think you could tell by my tone that I am not surprised by your ruling, now. Just wanted you to put a flange on that point.

Tight restrictions are needed to make a really tough challenge. Last night I reread the logs and saves from the recently finished No Science game. You fellows rocked. Even though it took until the mid eighteenth century, the result had never been in doubt. Especially after DaveV led that first rabid breakout against the Americans. Hence the tight collar on military activity in this game. I think you have set up a worthy challenge for us.

Monk
Old March 17, 2003, 13:08   #32
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 21:45
re: the Bouncing AI capitals

I have a theory that once the AI has run out of 'obvious' builds it starts a Palace - hoping to be able to tranform it into a Wonder, but when the tech doesn't surface or the woW is stolen they get lumbered with half a dozen half finished Palaces.

SG[1]
Old March 17, 2003, 13:33   #33
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 22:45
Advice #1
Bob_Smurf42

If you wish to learn how to win at deity level, you must first learn how to use your workers (in order to maximize either food, or trade arrows, or shields).

Here are 3 examples derived from your save:

- Pool of Grace: 1 worker is busy in the ocean (providing 1 food + 2 arrows); if you move him to the 'silk special', he will provide 1 food, 2 shields and 4 arrows (bonus: 2 shields + 2 arrows)

- Beggarsville: if you move the worker who is busy in the ocean to the 'fish special' nearby, you get 3 food instead of 1.

- Green Meanie: same as Beggarsville

(having a look at each city and trying to improve its production is called 'micromanaging'; some people say it is time consuming, but it is highly rewarding ... and it takes very little time after the first few games; have a nice time training )
Old March 17, 2003, 13:37   #34
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
re: the Bouncing AI capitals
Dunno if that's it, [1]. Seems like the Musical Capitals happen in bunches, and start long before WoWs are being built. In my experience, at least.

Of course, it could be that you're basically right, except for anthropomorphizing the AI as "hoping"...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old March 17, 2003, 17:44   #35
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
But I'll give this a shot, likely tomorrow depending on my schedule.
Could you please update the playlist, SG's?
Old March 17, 2003, 19:21   #36
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18

Could you please update the playlist, SG's?
Dear Jedi,

You are being way too subtle. I suggest you ramp the volume, thusly...

"Dag Blame It SG[1], slot my name on the bleepin' playlist!!"

Or not. You decide.

Monk
Old March 17, 2003, 20:28   #37
La Fayette
King

King La Fayette looks at the island and decides to move a few workers (hello Bob ) and also to grow our glorious capital city to size 5 (joining 2 settlers), in order to increase its productive capacity.

550BC: Pottery discovered; I choose to research Trade (mostly because with that size of map the power of MPE is huge)
525BC: Temple completed in Green Meanie
400BC: Sticky Meanie (on the west coast)
350BC: Trade discovered (start researching Map Making); diplomat disbanded in Mean City (makes MPE possible next turn).
325BC: MARCO completed; we give and swap enough techs to be able to swap maps with anyone (except the Americans who were willing to get 50g to start with: we said 'nuts', and they replied 'war'; we couldn't care less since we know where they are anyway and they are VERY far away); Temple completed in Pool of Grace.
300BC:We start researching Philosophy ( with 30% Science, because we will have cash available to help with incremental rushbuilding of the 4 caravans required for LH, which we consider a HIGH priority)
250BC: King La Fayette notices that his reign has been long enough to allow him to retire and have a beer
Attached Files:
File Type: sav me_b250.sav (441.8 KB, 5 views)
Old March 17, 2003, 22:20   #38
Bob_Smurf42
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
Warlord

Local Time: 13:45
@La Fayette:

Re:Point of Grace-I didn't notice the opportunity as it was near the the end of my turns, would probably have seen it next turn

Re:the other two-I was trying to maximize trade there, while slowing down growth to get temple/warrior before next red face w/o buying
Quote:
Originally posted by SCG

the GL ... it balloons research costs.
I didn't know that! makes sense, though...
Old March 18, 2003, 03:40   #39
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

obiwan - sorry I thought you were already aboard and were exhorting me to move the . You are now in.
LF - great turns - we are now definitely on the way

IMHO - next priority is Medicine & Shake's followed closely by Mono & Mike's, in this strange game The Oracle would not go amiss - we have LOTS of time - for once the science WoWs can take a back seat while we concentrate on growth and the eventual mega income from the tithes provided by the happy WoWs
Old March 19, 2003, 11:14   #40
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Downloaded, zipped on work PC, and sent to home comp.
I play tonight.

Note: If this works, it means I will no longer require a zipped .sav posting. (Of course, my Macophilic ways still dictate that my own posts be zips, as macsaves are useless for the likes of this bunch.)

Last edited by -Jrabbit; March 19, 2003 at 11:19.
Old March 19, 2003, 11:39   #41
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
IMHO - next priority is Medicine & Shake's followed closely by Mono & Mike's
IMHO LH comes even sooner...
Anyway the lagomorph is the one going to decide (and he's getting wiser and wiser )
Old March 19, 2003, 12:02   #42
-Jrabbit
Deity

Old March 19, 2003, 18:21   #43
Old n Slow
Civilization II Succession Games
Prince

Ok I clicked a few exciting buttons -- any chance of an average player stepping into the mix of things?
Old March 19, 2003, 19:01   #44
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Old n Slow
any chance of an average player stepping into the mix of things?
You are very probably not so old as I am ... and not so slow as SlowThinker is
Hence I bet that [1] will tell us you are welcome .
Old March 19, 2003, 19:23   #45
Bloody Monk
King

Quote:
Originally posted by La Fayette

You are very probably not so old as I am ... and not so slow as SlowThinker is
Hence I bet that [1] will tell us you are welcome .
Well said M La Fayette.

And as for the average question, we are all average; together we all average each other out; and some of us are a lot more average than others...but we are all of us, still learning new things.

As far as I can tell, the only major disqualifier is having a thin skin when it comes to receiving "feedback." Also, one has to be prepared to have a lot of fun.

Monk
Old March 19, 2003, 19:23   #46
-Jrabbit
Deity

Another victim, er, player!
Woo-hoo!

Old March 19, 2003, 19:57   #47
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Welcome to Obiwan18 and to Old n Slow

Play Order

SG[1]
SG(2)
Bloody Monk
SCG
Bob_Smurf42
La Fayette
-JRabbit
STYOM
obiwan18
Old n Slow

We now have 10 players which seems a comfortable number for this game.

-------------------------

SG(2)
Old March 20, 2003, 01:28   #48
-Jrabbit
Deity

Save posted
Don't feel I did much worthwhile here. Got us a WoW.
Camel husbandry is our big industry.

Save zipped here.
(BTW, no more need to zip stuff for the rabbits. I can do that myself now. )

Turnlog tomorrow a.m. from the work comp.

STYOM is next.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip me_ad40.zip (21.6 KB, 4 views)

Old March 20, 2003, 01:59   #49
Bloody Monk
King

FYI
For anyone not familar with Rabbit sign...

After unzipping, rename to, for example, me_a40.sav....

Otherwise, it will not be recognized by the game. Some kind of Mac thing You will also need to tick "arrange windows" under view.

It's too bad the hutfinder does not work on the Mac as we have now built two cities one square off. Could be whales or could be fish, but it doesn't matter now. "It will all be okay in the springtime," to misquote slightly, Chauncy Gardner.

Monk
Old March 20, 2003, 09:10   #50
Six Thousand Year Old Man
King

I have the save... I'll take a look at it tonight, probably, and play tomorrow or Sat...

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old March 20, 2003, 09:51   #51
-Jrabbit
Deity

The year is 250 BC and King Bun accepts the mantle. We have 6 cities, all building camels. Clearly, we need navigation skills so we can take them asea. With science at a rate of 36 turns, we flop from70% tax to 70% science. -->> 16 turns. Incremental tickling.

225 BC -- Bush The Mean founded, more tickling.

200 BC -- Audience with Indira, we politely decline her request that we join her war against the Germans. Caravans progress. Gift Monarchy, trade Mysticism and the Wheel to Romans, receive Warrior Code, Iron Working. Though receptive, no map trade. (King Bun wonders if this is a Mac AI thing. )

175 BC -- Green Meanie, Heavens Gate camels completed. Hidden silk mining completed.

150 BC -- Babylonians now a monarchy. We hit 500,000 ppl. Despite giving Iron Working to India, Indira won't trade. Spanish refuse to chat.

125 BC -- Romans now a monarchy. Babylonians nearly complete Pyramids. Hmmmmm... Americans get Construction.

100 BC -- We've got our 200 shields and decide to build... the Lighthouse! (natch) Babs build Great pyramid of Ninevah. Others switch reseach to Great Library.

075 BC -- American capital moves to Philadelphia. First freight camel (gems) complete, awaits trireme.

050 BC -- Herodotus writes blasphemous history, calls us Mediocre! A few turns ago, we were supreme... Top civs are Germans, Americans, Spanish. Babylonians learn secret of The Republic. Trireme sets sail to far-off Madrid.

025 BC -- More of the same... Gift code of Laws to the Babs, but they won't trade -- or even talk.

001 AD -- Babylonian capital moves to Ninevah (presumably to be near Pyramids, where we will, in the fullness of time, bury them all!! )

020 AD -- Unavoidable disorder in Sticky Meanie (won't grow without 3rd worker). Babs now the world's first known Republic.

040 AD -- 2nd trireme prepares to head north to Berlin, Ur, and/or Leipzig -- needs to load 2nd freight before departure. Population now 600,000.

King Bun looks dejectedly about. 12 turns without a tech, when he wanted to set us on course for Mono and Mike's -- critical to early success with no Gardens hanging about.

Considered trading for (and becoming) Republic, but that made me think of Republicans, which made me think of Bush, which is just So depressing... So I just finished up and crashed.

SG Question:
The ruleset states: "No attacking except on Holy Home Continent" and "No military land units... may leave the Holy Home Continent." Was this a pointed commentary on the festivities in Iraq?

Sometimes it just sucks to be an American...

Old March 20, 2003, 12:57   #52
Bloody Monk
King

Take it to OT, please.

edit: to remove unnecessary material

Monk

Last edited by Bloody Monk; March 21, 2003 at 12:00.
Old March 20, 2003, 13:38   #53
-Jrabbit
Deity

That statement was a throwaway. Forgive me if it offends, BM.

The question above it is on topic, and still stands.

Oh, and btw, parsng without the qualifer yields a false syllogism.

Old March 20, 2003, 13:44   #54
ottok
Prince

Screenshots... please.

inresting...

Last edited by ottok; March 20, 2003 at 13:50.
Old March 20, 2003, 14:46   #55
Old n Slow
Prince

Somewhat related thought -- I see a few Sxn games in process -- is any one up for another to start soon? I have an idea that I’d like to offer:

Given the last few games in play, I thought that maybe we should explore a basic “silly rules” game -- each player that joins in adds one (and only one) “silly rule”, not conflicting with the previous and we all then abide by the self imposed constraints. Game planned to start on April 1, of course.
Old March 20, 2003, 17:03   #56
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

-JRabbit - the reference to the word Holy was made in relation to the theme of the game - Fundamentalism!

Let's not talk about the troubles of the world. I come here to escape them.

Old n Slow - Games start every few weeks. A Silly Game may attract interest.

Ottok - Download a save ... much better than screenshots.

----------------------

SG(2)
Old March 21, 2003, 02:26   #57
atomant
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 07:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
and can we please stop with the grammer corrections... just back to insulting eachother..... it is so much more entertaining.
Old March 21, 2003, 02:39   #58
rjmatsleepers
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Old n Slow
Somewhat related thought -- I see a few Sxn games in process -- is any one up for another to start soon? I have an idea that I’d like to offer:

Given the last few games in play, I thought that maybe we should explore a basic “silly rules” game -- each player that joins in adds one (and only one) “silly rule”, not conflicting with the previous and we all then abide by the self imposed constraints. Game planned to start on April 1, of course.
Brilliant - I'll sign up for that one.

RJM at Sleepers

Last edited by rjmatsleepers; April 8, 2003 at 03:38.
Old March 21, 2003, 08:42   #59
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Rabitman - NO Iraq was furthest from my thoughts at that time

For reference - I am strongly against the current 'festivities' - but this is OT

SG[1]
Old March 21, 2003, 09:44   #60
-Jrabbit
Deity

Sorry to infect this thread with that line of thought, gang.
It was "happening now" when I typed that. Guess I'm guilty of letting RL affect my Poly time.

Mea maxima culpa...