Old May 2, 2003, 02:17   #181
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 21:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
BM - with the greatest sadness we bid you adieu and hope that you will eventually triumph over your adversities. It has been grand knowing you.

SG[1]
Old May 2, 2003, 11:41   #182
Old n Slow
Civilization II Succession Games
Prince

Local Time: 16:45
Bloody Monk,

I read your other post. My best for your adversities, and please feel free to visit (and add a +1) when you can.
Old May 2, 2003, 20:06   #183
Bob_Smurf42
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
Warlord

Local Time: 13:45
Monk-It's been good knowing you for the short time I did. My best wishes to you in overcoming your struggles.
Old May 2, 2003, 20:22   #184
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Power Democracy!
Gentlemen, herewith our log...

1810 = still perplexed; where are the colosseums, banks, trade routes, SUPERHIGHWAYS. Why is our hardiest rider a bloody horseman - that does rather make howitzers difficult! Nil desperandum (we hope) let us play .... Tax slider to 4.3.3 - much tickling and rushing - vital 6th transport started in Beggarsville
1812 = Overture in Moscow; Marketplace in Weanie Meanie & LandsEnd; Colosseum in BadLeroyBrown & Sticky Meanie; SuperHighway in Mean City; 2 internal routes to BadLeroy - now celebrating, 122g; Slider to 5.3.2
1814 = Refrigeration -> Feudalism! Oilx3 to rome, 510g;
1816 = Superhighways in BLB, Pool of Grace, Heavens Gate;
1818 = Aqueduct in Lands End; Superhighway in Green Meanie; Internal Oil(d), 182g; Dye to Rome, 428g;
1820 = SuperHighways in Maxwell; SuperMarket in Mean City; Feudalism -> Theology; 20M pop; Rush Cruiser to head off incoming Barb landing; Copper(d) to Rome(20), 474g; Oil to Rome, 222g;
1822 = Superhighways in BBB; Theology -> Chivalry; 21M pop; Cruiser takes out Barb Frigate with 5 units on board and becomes Vet! Assorted vans to Rome, 1654g;
1824 = Colosseum in Maxwell; Chivalry -> Leadership; Superhighway in Beggarsville; 22M pop; slider to 2.3.5
1826 = JSB in Lands end; Colosseums in two last cities - Celebration everywhere;
1828 = Leadership -> Tactics; 23M pop; Assorted goodies to rome. 1245g;
1830 = Tactics -> Mobile Warfare; 24M pop; Gold to Rome, 252g;
1832 = Mobile Warfare -> Machine tools; 25M pop; 8 assorted freights to Rome, 1469g;

The pisssssed Gits pass the shoe..... Machine tools next turn - looking good for the boys!!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip me_a1832.zip (36.9 KB, 4 views)
Old May 4, 2003, 17:09   #185
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

A VERY productive turnset!!! Time to start prepping for world domination in AD 1850.

A my best wishes to Bloody Monk, a source of great amusement, robustly constructive criticism, and repartee in the few months I've known him here.
-------------also--------------
Best of luck and all positive thoughts in the coming days, BM. Hoping you can return here, if only on occasion, whether for gameplay or the succor of our comfort.

Hang tough, baby! We're rooting for you...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 4, 2003, 19:13   #186
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

What a magnificent bunch of fellows!!

My eyes are misty over all the kind and generous comments. Your support and encouragement and well wishing is deeply appreciated. Thanks!!

For now, I can't play ( which is worse than the symptoms), but, I can come by to lurk for short periods occassionally. So, let's have "mo betta" logs and commentary, OK??

In the final analysis, I believe Real Life is like a very captivating Civ Succession or Comparison Game or Bridge. No matter how rotten your cards you play the hand. And after the tournament is over and the post mortem is complete, someone (the Greater Than STYOM) will post the .sav for the next game. Life is a game with no endings; just changes. I'll be fine. And I feel blessed to have shared the road for a spell with you guys, and I look forward to my path coming back to this road again soon.

Now, let's play the game. Who's up??

Monk
Old May 4, 2003, 22:55   #187
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Nothing I could write in response could be nearly eloquent enough to do justice to what you wrote, Monk. All I'll say is stick around, when you can, and for a long time.

And to answer your question - SCG is next I believe. I gather that the Brothers Git played one joint, drunken session last time out

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old May 5, 2003, 02:25   #188
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 23:45
BM, I never took part in a game with you but I read many of your posts in the last weeks and they have been at the same time entertaining and instructive for me, so thank you !

I wish you all the best and hope you can return to the game soon!
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464
Old May 6, 2003, 03:24   #189
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
Play Order

SG[1]
SG(2)
Bloody Monk - temporarily out of play
SCG
Bob_Smurf42
La Fayette
-JRabbit
STYOM
obiwan18
Old n Slow

8 turns each until Jihad and then 5 each please
SG[1]
Old May 6, 2003, 05:38   #190
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

just now downloaded the game - and you'd think with a sprained ankle I'd have more time for the computer - will look over the game this afternoon and see what sort of time frame we're looking at
Old May 9, 2003, 09:14   #191
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

just a followup - i hope to finish by saturday.

and on the domestic front, my GF's son has taken a bit of an interest in Civ II they picked up a used 486 yesterday (given to them) and we set it up last night - and played a little (on chieftan...) I was tempted to let him try and develop the right handed vs left handed unit theory after he moved his settler 6 turns using the arrows, but was nice to him and showed the number pad )
Old May 9, 2003, 11:48   #192
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 22:45
Quote:
Originally posted by SCG
but was nice to him and showed the number pad )
Old May 9, 2003, 13:46   #193
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

SG[1]
Old May 9, 2003, 17:17   #194
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

What you should have done is set him up in that new Sxn game.

Tell him that this is how the 'real' civ players play.
Old May 9, 2003, 19:22   #195
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Obiwan - which Sxn game?

We have played for three hours (sloshed) and nearly completed one turn (sloshed) - We shall continue ... (sloshed) asap...

Have a good day...

The SGs (emulating panag) (sloshed)
Old May 9, 2003, 19:23   #196
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Sorry - wrong game (sloshed)

The SGs (very sloshed)
Old May 9, 2003, 21:57   #197
Bob_Smurf42
Warlord

Quote:
Obiwan - which Sxn game?
The Silly Rules game?
Old May 10, 2003, 13:59   #198
SCG
King

first glance - cities are all nearly fully grown without refrigeration, some at food deficits. Lands end can grow 3 more, but needs sewer system. Weenie Meanie can grow 1 more, but needs aquaduct and harbor. we are making discoveries nearly at will (every 2 turns) so i don't actually have to discover fundy on my turn (i finish before 1850 - barely). Also, all rushbuying has already been completed this turn so not many adjustments to do. one more look around for units on goto - none are doh, we have refrigeration, just 1 supermarket. cumae has adam smiths - coastal not not on home roman island... we have 3 factories, probably need more. we have a lot of coastal AI cities, cruisers or battleships would be really handy in getting footholds. heavan's gate has a 30 production - perfect for building spies for sabatoge and investigating cities, only we don't have espionage. Also they are useful for inspiring revolutions too *checks behind him after hearing some quiet shuffling of boots* of barbarian units *hears more shuffling of boots getting louder* for people who claim allegiance to no one??? *boots pause for a moment* I would never even think of denying our great generals of their glorious entrance into each and [/b]every[/b] city and of course all enemies who fly flags of organized infidels are forever tainted and could never be trusted to serve in even the most menial service of our great armies! *boots start moving away* *breathes a sigh of relief*

1832: anyway. press enter

1834: Machine Tools choose Miniaturization, not enough transportmovement and Boston has Magellan's, so no deliveries this turn, and may want to delay next turn due to discovery rate. Beggarsville will starve on my watch without supermarket so buy one. move transports for 1 turn delivery and realize as is we can only do 1 turn deliveries every 2 turns - not to shabby all things considered - a few more transports might be needed for a blitzkrieg on the roman homeland though in addition to navy - as we can only get 8 military to Rome on the first turn of Jihad (6 more transports would double 1 turn delivery to 16, a couple cruisers off coast of antium might also do it. Green Meanie is at a food deficit so start moving its cruiser. fiddle with tax rate to try and get discovery this turn. start building a bit of an army in a couple cities.

1836: Spanish discover Astronomy, we discover Miniaturization, choose Amphibious warfare, start sending freights to Romans (remap island as i drop them off) Oil (xd, 261), Spice (xd, 90), Gems (xd, 222), Oil (xd, 241), Gems (xd, 118), Salt (xd, 252), Silk (xd, 277) all to Rome.

1838: Babylonians develop Explosives, we discover Amphipious Warfare, choose *looks around carefully* Espionage, we get pollution (clean up), rehome a couple units for more efficient building - too bad i can't rehome the transports easily... we now have 3 cruisers (1 vet) 7 turns from antium (or 1851 AD ). Land's End starts growing again.

1840: Romans develop Theology, get steel from Americans for Theology, Babylonians revolt, now 3 OSPs, 5 factories, and an extra transport, no discovery this turn

1842: Babylonians form a Fundy???, we discover Espionage, choose Mass Production, Spice (xd, 277), Gems (xd,189), Spice (xd, 222) to Rome, not enough for discovery this turn so raise taxes

1844: indian city of Chittagong overrun by uncivilized folk, Americans discover refining, various micromanaging. 1851 is an Oedo year, but to regress *hides from the loud boots outside the door* to fundamentalism, we need to discover fundy in 1850 so we can revolt.

1846: We discover Mass Production, *takes a big gulp and looks at the heavily armormed guards outside the presidential palace and the chants for jihad coming from outside the palace, watches the news and sees the local priests holding increasingly more demonstrative rallies outside, looks at his science advisor glaring at him intently* choose Fundamentalism and resigns to the fact he won't see incredible calculating machines doing wonderous computations during his reign. raises taxes to delay discovery. Romans demand Tactics, we laugh at them, for spite our generals insist they remove thier troops, they walk out on us, but maintain the peace (for now). Notice Veii is getting pretty big with more sea and fewer available unroaded squares and has colossus, flight not yet discovered, test deliver there - Spice (xd, 249), Silk (xd, 351), Gold (xd, 294) all to Veii. Raise taxes to delay fundy. *starts hearing loud pounding outside his door* *starts fearing a presidential reeducation program*

1848: arrange transports for attack or delivery to Antium as next players preference. Arrange taxes so that fundy should be discovered in Mean city in 1850, so we can revolt and start jihad in 1851.

We have 4 armor, 1 marine, and 3 spies in Mean City right now (8 units) and 1 armor to be completed next turn. we have just over 1k gold for tinkering with for completion next turn. We also have 6 factories and 9 off shore platforms now and 5 cities with 30+ capacity. I grew beggarsville some although probably should have built a stock exchange in there at some point. anyway, hopefully we are ready for the conquest portion of the game

and the save
Attached Files:
File Type: sav me_a1848.sav (450.6 KB, 3 views)
Old May 10, 2003, 15:56   #199
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Sounds great SCG - well done

SG[1]
Old May 10, 2003, 20:25   #200
Bob_Smurf42
Warlord

I hate to miss out on the beginning of the jihad, but RL is a problem. I won't have the time to put into actually playing a game right now. Pass this turn.
Old May 11, 2003, 07:58   #201
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Play Order

SG[1]
SG(2)
SCG
Bob_Smurf42 - has a life
La Fayette
-JRabbit
STYOM
obiwan18
Old n Slow

5 turns each please

Bob - when you can get back in the loop we will slot you in again ...

SG[1]
Old May 12, 2003, 08:44   #202
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Time to overrun the world, La Fayette. Let's rock!

JIHAAAAD!!!!!!!!

Old May 12, 2003, 16:52   #203
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

JIHAD!

Let's rock'n'roll boys.
Old May 14, 2003, 12:38   #204
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Play Order

SG[1]
SG(2)
SCG
Bob_Smurf42 - has a life
La Fayette
-JRabbit
STYOM
obiwan18
Old n Slow

SG[1]
Well, I have a life tooooooo
but I shall play tomorrow
Old May 14, 2003, 14:17   #205
-Jrabbit
Deity

Old May 17, 2003, 11:08   #206
La Fayette
King

PLease JRabbit : start the Jihad (sorry, I skip ).
Old May 19, 2003, 09:46   #207
-Jrabbit
Deity

Sorry, I was out for the weekend.

D/L today. Will play this week -- hoping by Wednesday latest.

Doubt I can do much more than just set the table in the 5 allotted turns
...but will do what I can.

Old May 20, 2003, 09:40   #208
-Jrabbit
Deity

...and so it begins...
Found time to open, explore, and play a bit.
--Spent the 1848 treasury on incremental builds of militia, plus miscellaneous white goods.
--1850 brought hard Fundy and revolt. Teased the Romans but they decline to declare war. (This could be the sticky bit.) Engaged in more spending in preparation for jihad.
--1851 brings Fundamentalism and the shipchain moves armor and spies onto the Roman home island. By refusing their demand that we leave and then demanding tribute, they are induced to declare war.

The gloves are off. The JIHAD! has begun...

I hope to play out my turns tonight and post tomorrow.

Old May 20, 2003, 19:10   #209
Bob_Smurf42
Warlord

What are 'white goods'?
Old May 20, 2003, 20:01   #210
-Jrabbit
Deity

Refers to city infrastructure -- Marketplaces, Aqueducts, Factories, Harbors, etc.

Learned the term from Scouse Gits, though it seems to have been in common use among the long-time succession players for some time.

I play now...