Old March 14, 2003, 20:46   #1
BlueDEvil
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PathFinding
The ships will always plot a course through Orion even if they can't passed through it. It is not logical as ships should not use unexplored system. I wonder if tweaking the StarlaneAI.txt will help avoid this problem.
BlueDEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 11:49   #2
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 23:46
The Values within the StarLanesAI seem to determine, how likely the AI (I assume also the Viceroy) will upgrade or downgrade the Starlanes leading to other Systems, depending on your Military-Political Settings (for example "Peace through Strength") and the relations between your Empire and the Empire which inhabits the Systems where the Starlanes end.
Starlanes to friendly empires will more like be improvd while Starlanes to enemy Empires will be downgraded (if you have one of the two "Peace"-Setting activated) or upgraded ("Total War" or "Holy War" - Settings)

The costs for upgrading / downgrading can be found within the Starlanes.txt

So I assume that any changes within this file would change nothing for the Pathfinding AI.

One thing I don´t know though is, if those files are still in use or if the upgrading and downgrading of Starlanes has been discarded so that these files are just remains of a former Version of the Game.

Last edited by Proteus_MST; March 16, 2003 at 11:55.
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 14:29   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:46
I have not seen any evidence up starlane upgrades so far.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 14:37   #4
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 23:46
I have seen my Ships later in the Game moving really fast within Systems of my own Empire.

But I am not sure, how much of this can accounted for by better Warp Engines and how much could be by better Starlanes.
Of course there has never been a Message about "Sytem X has upgraded its Starlane to System Y"

So I am also not sure about the File getting used by the Game.
A Comment of one of the Designers / Programmers of the Game would be very helpful.
Maybe Rantz or Chantz want to comment on this?
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 14:52   #5
Alex-C
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:46
I have noticed that the starlanes in and around my Empire have changed colour to blue, and some white ones are more prominent than others. Whether this is a result of improved starlanes or simply showing which ones i "control", i am not sure, and since my ships engine upgrades come in quickly i cant tell whether its those or the starlanes making them move faster
Alex-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2003, 11:59   #6
Gammaray
Settler

Local Time: 22:46
Starlanes change their colour to blue when both stars at their end are explored.

Upgrading/downgrading of starlanes was cut. There are a lot of entries for cut features in the spreadsheets, which makes it difficult to find out what can be changed and what not.
Gammaray is offline   Reply With Quote