Old June 21, 2003, 06:15   #151
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Just so folks know, this was a no-alliance, no tech trading game and no tech stealing! atawa got a good start and fully capitalised on it. He is an aggressive player with good and well-timed strats.

My start was fair, huts stuffed my early Govt and didn't recover. Well, I was about to recover when my trade to atawa boomed and got Democ first but that's when he struck = perfect timing. He raced to Steam. My strategic error was continuing to develop through Democ, whereas I should have got Guns when I had the chance but tech choices stuffed me when I decided I needed Guns! I had Leos but picked Democ before Guns. Damn it. Ironclads set me back and I lost 4 cities plus two were destroyed. Never recovered.
Old June 21, 2003, 06:21   #152
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thanks for the kind words , although in all fairness the early tribe and not getting screwed by techs from huts helped a lot

Lets start up a new game next week
Old June 21, 2003, 06:31   #153
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 23:46
Quote:
Originally posted by deity
Just so folks know, this was a no-alliance, no tech trading game and no tech stealing!
This was mainly the problem, I was able to build both HG and oracle so was able to grow twice the size and go rep early, add to that being the first to trade and mono and the other players had basicly no chance to catch up.
I was kinda nervous about Berz comming over with his LH and ST vet army, but I was able to bluff him into thinking I actualy had any form of defence I guess

Quote:
My start was fair, huts stuffed my early Govt and didn't recover. Well, I was about to recover when my trade to atawa boomed and got Democ first but that's when he struck = perfect timing. He raced to Steam. My strategic error was continuing to develop through Democ, whereas I should have got Guns when I had the chance but tech choices stuffed me when I decided I needed Guns! I had Leos but picked Democ before Guns. Damn it. Ironclads set me back and I lost 4 cities plus two were destroyed. Never recovered.
You defended well, I never thought about that trick with the fortress next to the city for the counterattack, this slowed me down a lot, good one
Old June 24, 2003, 16:12   #154
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:46
Quote:
I was kinda nervous about Berz comming over with his LH and ST vet army, but I was able to bluff him into thinking I actualy had any form of defence I guess
I was just too far behind in techs, I couldn't launch an invasion with triremes while you had caravals with clads appearing soon. I didn't want to invade with crusaders while you had guns, so I went for guns and dragoons and started building my invasion force. Then I got conscription and tactics and was building cavalry, but I was still 5-8 turns away from launching my invasion and you'd have BB's by then; hell, a couple cruisers sitting off my coast would have been enough to prevent me from following up any sneak attack with re-inforcements, so I had to make sure my first force was big enough to do damage. I suppose building Bach and any other wonders just slowed me down from what my main goal should have been, but I held this ridiculous notion that I could still compete.

Good game, Atawa, you whooped us.