Old March 15, 2003, 14:07   #1
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 17:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A quirky idea I'm too lazy to implement...
Has anybody ever created a scenario with a "nomadic" civ that:
Builds nothing but settler units, mostly ones with military capabilities;
Pays no food for settlers;
Can support a crapload of units;
Can't build aqueducts and lacks ceremonial burial, monotheism, etc.?
Ideally, this would be based on a monarchy to avoid giving the same advantages to commies, fundamentalists and democrats among the other civs. What you get is a civ that moves and expands uncontrollably, becomes upset and inefficient when it stays in large cities for too long, is actually incapable of forming very large cities...
Government fixing would obviously be a must and I'm guessing the computer wouldn't have the brains to manage such a civ properly, but it might be fun to simulate a Scythian invasion by the player or some such. Live off of plunder, build and relocate "camp" cities at will, and generally sweep across the countryside like a plague. It might work better if you eliminated food from the scenario altogether, and had barbarians to similate independent tribes. I've thought about this a lot, but I have too many **** ideas to implement. Somebody else want it?
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old March 15, 2003, 15:26   #2
WarVoid
King

Local Time: 21:49
The only problem I can see with that is your initial settler unit. If that is lost, you lose the game.

However, this "could" be offset.

Say, for instance, you make the first settler unit into an indestructible castle. Not a city, but one of those immobile units that is too strong to be destroyed.

Then use the engineer slot for the standard settler unit and assign that to the other civs.

So then you'd have a civ without any cities at all. That civ could get more units via events, say by killing other units or taking over cities from other civs.

Might be interesting indeed.
Old March 17, 2003, 01:19   #3
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 05:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by WarVoid
So then you'd have a civ without any cities at all. That civ could get more units via events, say by killing other units or taking over cities from other civs.
I didn't think you could do this ... include a civ without cities I mean. Something to do with some sort of a first turn crash bug IIRC ... ?
One might have to include an inaccessible city somewhere that can never grow, produce anything or do anything meaningful at all, to alleviate this.
Old March 17, 2003, 15:18   #4
Kaptain Ken
Warlord

Local Time: 21:49
I think that is a great idea, anybody want to try this out to see if it can be done? This might add a new touch to a scenario.