Old March 16, 2003, 04:02   #1
PaulNAdhe
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I tried, I really did
I tried to enjoy this game. I really did. I didn't care about the dated graphics, I don't have the horsepower for the newer games. I learned to deal with the Viceroys, they were really kind of a good idea. The lack of a ship refit was unforgivable, but I got around it. The War / Peace flip flop was understandable and just an irritant. I was starting to 'get' the game.

Until just now when I built huge task forces to take my neighbors rich world. It took a long time to get there. I sent Destroyers and Light Cruisers that were killed by his 2 System ships. Reload and build larger fleets. Repeat. Don't have enough ground troops. Reload and ...

Finally, I had fleets large and strong enough to take the enemy and what do my ground troops do? They attack the weakest planet in the system. A size 3 next to the sun. While my target is still sitting out there fat and green happy.

This game has no redeemable qualities. There is nothing here to patch. Rantz and his buddies can do all they want. But, they've lost me forever.

Fie on them!!!
Old March 16, 2003, 05:24   #2
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 23:51
And your point is ...?
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 07:15   #3
Alex-C
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:51
To show is displeasure at some of these aspects of the game i suppose, which is fair enough.

I think there should be some kind of attempt to contain these threads into 2 that remain at the top, those against MOO3 and those for it, it might help to reduce the flood of "MOO3 is great because..." and "MOO3 sucks because..." threads, though i do confess to starting a thread of praising MOO3 myself
Alex-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 07:43   #4
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 14:51
I second that suggestion. I myself am greatly disappointed, both by what we've witnessed over the past few months - from great ideas being given the axe to endless push backs (though, in retrospect, I shiver to think what the game would have been like had it been released back then) - and what has been said since its release.

I don't own the game yet, but there's a good chance I'm going to go get it today. Still, the great potential this game had has really taken a hit by those who wanted this game to appeal to the mass-market (mass-market = people who have gotten used to and have accepted crapware put out, dime-a-dozen, by jillions of companies looking for a quick buck without risking ORIGINALITY). If they'd just stuck to the plan of making an UberMoo, and pulled-off the coding, the rave reviews would have earned them the sales they were salivating for. Instead of making something that looks like just about everything else that's been put to market in recent years, they could have given the PC gaming world the shot in the arm it needed to bring back the creativity that made the earlier days of gaming great, stuff of legends.

*Sigh...* God I hate lost opportunities and missed chances...

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
DRoseDARs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 08:43   #5
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 18:51
If you buy it, DRose, let us know about your experience with it.
Old March 16, 2003, 11:16   #6
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

DRose, I'd advise against it until the patch is released, at least.

Remember that GalCiv is coming out and may fit the bill you want nicely.
Old March 16, 2003, 18:09   #7
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Just got back from Best Buy...

...Boris, you're too late. Couldn't resist Moo's siren song...

Alexnm, I'm meer minutes away from installing and trying it out. To be honest, I tried finding a less-than legitimate copy on p2p, but all I found were invalid files. I had EVERY intension of buying a legal copy (and have just done so), but given the disturbing number of independant POOR to BAD reviews, I wanted to test the game before deciding between get Moo now and wait on GalCiv or visa-versa. Oh well...

...Hi ho, hi ho, to install Moo3 I go...

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
DRoseDARs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 18:39   #8
BlueO
Warlord

Local Time: 13:51
I strongly suggest downloading colin grey's mod. Without it, the game is very very very bad. The mod fixes the problem with ai building millions of transports and have basically no military power. It also slows down the tech rate so you don't get like 10 techs a turn or something.
BlueO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 19:26   #9
Eric S
Warlord

Local Time: 13:51
Re: I tried, I really did
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulNAdhe

Finally, I had fleets large and strong enough to take the enemy and what do my ground troops do? They attack the weakest planet in the system. A size 3 next to the sun. While my target is still sitting out there fat and green happy.
So the actual problem you're complaining about is that it isn't obvious how to specify which planet you want to attack. If you click on the tab at the bottom of the space combat screen, it will let you pick which planet you want to attack. I don't know how it decides which to attack if you don't pick one, however.
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 20:01   #10
Zanman
Settler

If you don't choose a planet to attack it defaults to the first planet from the Sun doesn't it?
Zanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2003, 21:19   #11
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 17:51
Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
And your point is ...?
I think his point is that he tried to enjoy this game. He really did. He didn't care about the dated graphics, he don't have the horsepower for the newer games. He learned to deal with the Viceroys, they were really kind of a good idea. The lack of a ship refit was unforgivable, but he got around it. The War / Peace flip flop was understandable and just an irritant. He was starting to 'get' the game.

Until just now when he built huge task forces to take his neighbors rich world. It took a long time to get there. He sent Destroyers and Light Cruisers that were killed by his opponent's 2 System ships. Reload and build larger fleets. Repeat. Didn't have enough ground troops. Reload and ...

Finally, he had fleets large and strong enough to take the enemy and what did his ground troops do? They attack the weakest planet in the system. A size 3 next to the sun. While his target is still sitting out there fat and green happy.

This game has no redeemable qualities. There is nothing here to patch. Rantz and his buddies can do all they want. But, they've lost him forever.

Fie on them!!!

At least, that's what I understood him to mean.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2003, 00:13   #12
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 16:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba

I think his point is that he tried to enjoy this game. He really did. He didn't care about the dated graphics, he don't have the horsepower for the newer games. He learned to deal with the Viceroys, they were really kind of a good idea. The lack of a ship refit was unforgivable, but he got around it. The War / Peace flip flop was understandable and just an irritant. He was starting to 'get' the game.

Until just now when he built huge task forces to take his neighbors rich world. It took a long time to get there. He sent Destroyers and Light Cruisers that were killed by his opponent's 2 System ships. Reload and build larger fleets. Repeat. Didn't have enough ground troops. Reload and ...

Finally, he had fleets large and strong enough to take the enemy and what did his ground troops do? They attack the weakest planet in the system. A size 3 next to the sun. While his target is still sitting out there fat and green happy.

This game has no redeemable qualities. There is nothing here to patch. Rantz and his buddies can do all they want. But, they've lost him forever.

Fie on them!!!

asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2003, 04:12   #13
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba

Fie on them!!!

Ah. You finaly get it? He talks about himself not about the game. I'm tired of those posts. They are SPAM SPAM SPAM!
Old March 17, 2003, 06:52   #14
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 22:51
It shows the level of frustration, not much else. One post asking 'is it possible to specify the target world for ground invasion?' would have achieved the same answer without all the flaming vitriol.
Old March 17, 2003, 07:30   #15
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 17:51
But flaming vitriol makes a tastey treat. Oompah!!

I think he hit the essense of the game, even if he did talk in the first-person a lot- the fact that what direct control you do have over your empire is messy at best.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2003, 09:36   #16
MariOne
King

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect

Ah. You finaly get it? He talks about himself not about the game. I'm tired of those posts. They are SPAM SPAM SPAM!
You are wrong

"esse est percipi"

Things do not exist as themselves.
Only "experience" can be accounted for, that is, the perception of the interaction between what appears to be represented as a thing and what appears to be represented as a being.

The game does not exist. PaulNAdhe does not exist. YOU do not exist. This site does not exist. I do not exist myself.
Or rather, nothing conclusive can ever be drawn about the *autonomous* existence of any of the above.

Thus, he talks about the ONLY things he truly knows to be existing: the "perception" of himself playing the game.

This is not SPAM.
This helps you enhance your perception of other perception processes different than yours, thus enhancing the enjoyment you perceive from the game.

And above all, please perceive my sig.
Old March 17, 2003, 12:18   #17
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MariOne

You are wrong

"esse est percipi"

Things do not exist as themselves.
Only "experience" can be accounted for, that is, the perception of the interaction between what appears to be represented as a thing and what appears to be represented as a being.

The game does not exist. PaulNAdhe does not exist. YOU do not exist. This site does not exist. I do not exist myself.
Or rather, nothing conclusive can ever be drawn about the *autonomous* existence of any of the above.

Thus, he talks about the ONLY things he truly knows to be existing: the "perception" of himself playing the game.

This is not SPAM.
This helps you enhance your perception of other perception processes different than yours, thus enhancing the enjoyment you perceive from the game.

And above all, please perceive my sig.
Old March 18, 2003, 20:22   #18
Simpleton
Prince

Re: I tried, I really did
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulNAdhe
I tried to enjoy this game. I really did.
This game has no redeemable qualities. There is nothing here to patch. Rantz and his buddies can do all they want. But, they've lost me forever.

Fie on them!!!
That's why I follow the words of Homer Simpson. "Never try anything".
Old March 19, 2003, 06:24   #19
campfreddie
Chieftain

To paraphrase my favorite Homer quote:

"If MOO3 has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that Rantz should stick to girls' sports, such as hot oil wrestling, foxy boxing, and such and such."
Old March 19, 2003, 14:55   #20
Ghostbear
Chieftain

Never stop
To All,

Don't stop whining. As much as you'll get bashed by the "if you don't like it you're whining crowd" you must keep whining.

Otherwise,

It'll never get fixed. (No one DOESN'T think its broke).

I paid $50, now its $30. Had I listened I would've saved some money.

HOWEVER,

I was on turn 300 as the Sakkra last night when everything finally clicked...

I was fighting a 2 front war, so I was glad to dish off colonizing and planet building.

Building big ships takes time, so the military queues no longer require constant maintenance.

I was in a 50 on 50 fight and it was FUN! A 50 on 50 in MOO 2 or SE IV is so PAINFULLY slow that I usually quit when I get to that point.

HOWEVER, HOWEVER,

It took me about six weeks to get to the point of enjoying the game. That's just INSANE! Only a die hard zealot would ever go through this.

L8r
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2003, 16:35   #21
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

DRose, any verdict yet?