Old March 23, 2003, 17:08   #31
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 16:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
One of the reasons I support going for a diplomatic victory is that the challenge is essentially gone... the fun is in implementing needlessly-complex plans to achieve even-more-ridiculous amounts of power.

And yes, I'm leaving after next term, for personal reasons. It's been fun, but there' really no place in my life for this sort of thing anymore.
Old March 23, 2003, 17:13   #32
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:52
Yeah, let's end this right now and score a diplomatic victory.
Old March 23, 2003, 17:56   #33
Cedayon
King

Now if only we had a DFA around to poll it
Old March 23, 2003, 18:06   #34
lucky22
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 21:52
Is this rate of attrition similar to the other demo-games?
Old March 23, 2003, 18:12   #35
Cedayon
King

Never played any of the other ones, but I imagine the small number of players interested in this one is due to SMAC being a fairly old game. That thing with a 3 in its name probably gets more interest due to being newer, despite it's utter inferiority
Old March 23, 2003, 18:16   #36
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

we could poll it...
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old March 23, 2003, 18:16   #37
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

like having it open 7 days (the poll) and then see what happens
Old March 23, 2003, 18:17   #38
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I don't know for sure, but I think the civ3 demo game was also played on a smaller map, making the contact with other factions more intense. Here, due to the huge map size (against which I protested right in the beginning because I knew we would get the current problems) we've had time to develop peacefully on our own, making us too powerful and making the running of the faction too large and complex a task, thus making this game boring.
Old March 23, 2003, 19:13   #39
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I agree. Much as I wanted transcendance, it has lost much of it's appeal, and the amount of free time I have has dwindled. Thus I would say let the AT or Commish (in the absense of a DFA) poll it, and act from there. Let us finish this now, lest we not finish it at all.

Besides, if the Commish does it, it's not illegal

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 23, 2003, 19:17   #40
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
There's just SO MANY OPTIONS! with SMAC. Civ3 doesn;t give you the ability to change your land to suit your style by nearly as much. You can't buy your way to victory in Civ, or Probe your way to victory, or Sat-launch your way to a victory. I am starting to become staggered by the choices presented to me by this game.

That is the difference. Civ3 is easier, in a way. You are stuck with certain things. Rather eloquent things, yes, but I can see the scope of SMAC frightening people off. It's almost scaring me away. And note that I have started a sign-up to the next Civ3 game, and so far only aroun 15 have joined (but then again it IS only a few hours old).

Maybe there is just "flavour of the mopnth" syndrome happening. At least we don't have the participation problems that the Civ2 game is having.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 23, 2003, 22:06   #41
Cedayon
King

Hmm, an interesting (and probably wildly unconstitutional) thought just came to me... we could have some SMAC-expert non-citizen (Darsnan comes to mind, since he seems to like making interesting scenarios) take the save and edit the other factions and stuff to make the game provide more challenge.

As I said, this is probably wildly unconstitutional, but it could be interesting

edit- and for those of you who are still really interested in this game (like GT over there writing up rather sizeable amounts of entertaining CNN stuff every week), I wasn't trying to end this game before you're done having fun with it, I just feel that the real challenge has long since departed.
Old March 24, 2003, 13:44   #42
Kirov
Prince

Is it only my impression or this game is near its end?
Old March 24, 2003, 16:09   #43
Cedayon
King

I'd think we'll achieve victory by the end of the next term at the latest, as our tech rate is getting to the point where transcendance is in sight. We may not stick with it even that long, though. I'd say that the people who want to continue should be allowed to, though... if someone wants to leave, or be less active, they may... let those who wish to remain until transcendance do so.
Old March 25, 2003, 13:59   #44
Maniac

Okay, it's the 25th and not all positions are filled yet. Depending on the region poll results, there are still 3 to 5 positions which need someone. This is a clear indication the interest for this game is too low, so my enthusiasism to become commissioner then gets equally low. DBTS is now running for commissioner if it's still ok for him.
Old March 25, 2003, 15:45   #45
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Ulp! I haven't chosen one yet....

I'd like to be a Governor, but I really don't like the idea of going into a heavily developed region to Govern.... I'd feel much more confident getting those Hive bases off the ground, especially since I wouldn't need to worry about those complex former manoeuvres so much. But there are already two people running for those bases.

Any thoughts?

Old March 25, 2003, 17:37   #46
DeathByTheSword
King

yes i am ok with running for commissioner....i think.........
Old March 26, 2003, 03:10   #47
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:52
MWIA: Go for the Sea Region, and maybe AT.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; March 26, 2003 at 03:20.
Old March 26, 2003, 16:20   #48
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Oops. I'm a bit late. I seem to do that with Demo game deadlines.

Old March 27, 2003, 02:43   #49
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Well, there are three positions still open, which haven't had elections posted yet.
Old March 27, 2003, 08:58   #50
Maniac

Make that four: AT and governor of Aurillion, Jedinica and the Sea State.
Old March 27, 2003, 12:30   #51
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Maybe combine some of the regions, if no one wants them. For instance you could put Aurillion and Akiria together? And maybe Centralis and Jedinica? Add the sea bases to their nearest land region, and problem solved.

You could try them as is, but it could mean a lot of work for the commish/other directors. Though I'm fine with whatever others want.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 29, 2003, 08:25   #52
Maniac

Just to tell you, TKG PM'ed me and offered to run for AT and Aurillian governor, but unfortunately that isn't allowed according to the current constitution. If you want to change that rule, please go ahead.
Old March 29, 2003, 09:19   #53
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Why is it not allowed?
Old April 1, 2003, 05:58   #54
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Anyway, given that I have lost the election for DPO, I'll put myself up for AT.
Old April 1, 2003, 08:42   #55
DeathByTheSword
King

well...TKG can run for a governer....if he doesnt have one yet...if he does i dont care....and if GT want to run for AT no problem either..that leaves 2 places open....i will start polls for AT and aurillion governer as soon as I get a conformation of TKG and GT
Old April 1, 2003, 08:44   #56
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

TKG is already governing Twin Sea.
Old April 1, 2003, 18:37   #57
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 18:52
yeah, i withdrew anyways. i was going to run for AT too, just to fill a gap, but alas, unconstitutional
Old April 1, 2003, 20:47   #58
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

So... where is there not a Governor?

Old April 1, 2003, 21:44   #59
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 18:52
aurillion, jedinica, sea state...take your pick
Old April 3, 2003, 06:57   #60
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 22:52
well now I am back I 'll volunteer for some position.

Wow things have changed since I 've been away. looks like we should go for Trans victory ASAP.

A multi player SMDG might make for better game play I suspect. Even with just 3/4 human group factions and a toughened AI. But would require a level of honesty, ie no spies in rival group.