Old March 16, 2003, 14:57   #1
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 15:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Concrete Blonde
I'm thinking about buying a couple of tickets for an upcoming Concrete Blonde show in St. Louis, but at 25 bucks a pop, I'm not sure it's worth it. I love the band, but the price of tickets plus a night of drinks for two would really hit my wallet right now.

Has anyone seen a recent show and would recommend it?

Please, someone give me an excuse to go.
Old March 16, 2003, 15:02   #2
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:53
Concrete Blonde does a great show, but their fans suck ass. I tried to pogo at their farwell concerte, and some dude put his elbow up into my ribs. We could do any dancing cuz of all the stupid yuppie twits. It was the shortest concert I ever saw, 45 minutes, no encore. The audience was the lamest I've ever seen.

I'm kinda sad that their back together, cuz now I can't say I was at their final show anymore.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 16, 2003, 15:12   #3
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 21:53
'Concrete' blonde.

I thought there was a new hair color for the ladies.
Old March 16, 2003, 15:16   #4
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 23:53
what kind of music they play?

buy the tickets, you recret later.
Old March 16, 2003, 15:18   #5
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Andemagne
what kind of music they play?
Retro punk live, retro pop on their cds.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 16, 2003, 15:19   #6
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 14:53
$25 is cheap fora concert. Go and have fun; if some yuppies try to hassle you then sit there and make fun of them. That usually gets them to shut up.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old March 16, 2003, 15:20   #7
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Concrete Blonde does a great show, but their fans suck ass. I tried to pogo at their farwell concerte, and some dude put his elbow up into my ribs. We could do any dancing cuz of all the stupid yuppie twits. It was the shortest concert I ever saw, 45 minutes, no encore. The audience was the lamest I've ever seen.

They're playing a great venue here, but I suspect the audience won't be much different. On the other hand, it's an all ages show, so maybe some younger Goths will show up and liven things up a little. Of course, the Goths in this town leave something to be desired too...

45 minutes!!! I just can't spend the money on that.

I really wish I hadn't promised this girl last night I would get a ticket for her. Gin and tonic is rapidly becoming the bane of my existence.
Old March 16, 2003, 15:23   #8
chequita guevara
Emperor

Things to consider about my short concert. One, the lead singer was sick. Two, the audience was terribly lame and there was no energy from the crowd feeding the band. Three, it was their final show and they just wanted it over.
Old March 16, 2003, 15:30   #9
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Things to consider about my short concert. One, the lead singer was sick. Two, the audience was terribly lame and there was no energy from the crowd feeding the band. Three, it was their final show and they just wanted it over.
Hmm, maybe I should go then.

Thanks for the info.
Old March 16, 2003, 15:33   #10
chequita guevara
Emperor

Just remember, they don't sound the same live as they do on their cds. That's why the crowd was so lame. They came expecting a retro band and got punk instead.
Old March 16, 2003, 15:34   #11
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Cement Banana is the back up band.
Old March 16, 2003, 15:36   #12
chequita guevara
Emperor

I don't even remember the other bands. Went to a lotta shows that year, Sonic Youth, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, X, the Butthole Surfers.
Old March 16, 2003, 15:38   #13
Lancer
Deity

Old March 16, 2003, 15:42   #14
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
Cement Banana is the back up band.
Old March 16, 2003, 15:56   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 16:53
Quote:

Retro punk live, retro pop on their cds.
is this a consious decision, or do the synthisizers do that much?
Old March 16, 2003, 21:15   #16
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 13:53
I saw a good Concrete Blond show at Mississippi Nights (small St Louis venue) a few (8?) years back and it was solid,energetic, had a good involved crowd. They played about 2 hours. If you don't have an extra 25, thats the way it goes, but I saw a good show - hope you get to go.
Old March 16, 2003, 21:22   #17
Sikander
King

Local Time: 14:53
Quote:
I don't even remember the other bands. Went to a lotta shows that year, Sonic Youth, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, X, the Butthole Surfers.
Sounds like a good year.
Old March 16, 2003, 21:31   #18
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

What's retro pop? 50's r&b?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old March 16, 2003, 22:11   #19
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Static23

They're playing a great venue here, but I suspect the audience won't be much different.
Where are they playing? Am theater? Pageant? Both are great venues, saw Wilco at Pageant this summer. Great place for a concert.
Old March 16, 2003, 22:25   #20
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sten Sture
I saw a good Concrete Blond show at Mississippi Nights (small St Louis venue) a few (8?) years back and it was solid,energetic, had a good involved crowd. They played about 2 hours.
Okay, if they've played good shows here before, then I'm definitely going. They're playing in a new venue that draws the same type of acts Mississippi Nights used to draw, only it's larger and flashier. It should be generally the same crowd, I would think.

Quote:
If you don't have an extra 25, thats the way it goes, but I saw a good show - hope you get to go.
If it was just the matter of 25 bucks, I'd go. Problem is I'm taking someone, which will ratchet the evening up to 100+.

She does reviews for one of the music zines here, but she's not doing this show. If it's bad, she certainly wouldn't want me to shell out any money for it.

She's a good friend, and she got me into several shows last year when I was out of work, so I'd like to pay her back with a good show and not some disaster.

Plus I think I got a vibe last night when one of us did the Silence of the Lambs figure touch thing when she handed me a pack of Camels. Since I work nights during the week and she works nights on the weekend, this is my excuse to take off from work and find out which one of us it was.
Old March 16, 2003, 22:38   #21
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Where are they playing? Am theater? Pageant? Both are great venues, saw Wilco at Pageant this summer. Great place for a concert.
They're playing the Pageant May 8. I think my roommate webt to that Wilco show.