Old March 18, 2003, 15:48   #301
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 16:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Third, and more to the point, even if the numbers were comparable... so what? Clearchannel (whose programming I generally dislike and thus do not listen to more than once and a while) is a business.
maybe expenditures would have been a better comparison, but what i'm trying to show is that corporations have quite a bit of economic power, oftentimes greater than that of many governments throughout the world
Old March 18, 2003, 15:54   #302
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:56
What I was saying is "so what?" I'm not disputing the "economic power" wielded by big companies. What I'm saying is, what is your solution to the perceived problem (said corporations using that power in a manner which you dislike)? Legislation? If so, what, exactly?

If not legislation, you're basically limited to complaining about their dastardly corporate ways. Which is fine and all, and quite fashionable.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 18, 2003, 15:59   #303
korn469
Emperor

as far as solutions go, i doubt there are any satisfactory ones

like you suggested i know that you can't rely on the government, and all we can do is hope that people stand up for civil liberties, and work against censorship in any form, but i have very little faith in humanity as a whole

also i don't complain to be fashionable, i seriously hate any type of abuse of liberties, but that's just my nature
Old March 18, 2003, 16:13   #304
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Again... this is not censorship... They aren't playing music that people don't want to listen to. It's that simple.

Are you saying radio stations MUST play songs that people don't want. OH PLEASE....

Again... people have a free choice what to say... people have a free choice what to listen too (again, you can pick up radio stations in EVERY MARKET that play their songs) and radio stations not only the right, BUT THE OBLIGATION to play songs that people want to hear.

You are saying that the radio stations should LOSE money for what SOMEBODY ELSE said... That's not only NOT FAIR... It's CRIMINAL
Old March 18, 2003, 16:20   #305
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 14:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Businesses are motivated by profit. If you want them to abide by a higher standard, you are going to have to legislate what they can, cannot, and/or MUST put on the air.
I guess it's to much to ask that they abide by a moral code of their own making, and act responsibly just because it's the right thing to do.
Old March 18, 2003, 16:26   #306
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Only in YOUR OPINION is it the right thing to do.

They are following the law, and serving the best interest of their audience... In their opinion, that far out weighs your opinion that musicians deserve special rights to maintain their earnings at the cost of somebody elses...

I guess it's asking to much that musicians live up to the same moral code as other people... that they should except responsibility for their own actions instead of causing economic harm to others.
Old March 18, 2003, 16:27   #307
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 23:56
Wow, this is getting hot-headed!

I think it's a far thought that radio listeners would stop listen just because the station plays a non-political song by an artist that made a mild political comment in an interveiw.

But there are some artists who have more integrity vs journalists who ask stupid questions that has not to do with the art. I remember Gene Simmons in KISS taking a Swedish journalist down to earth:

- You have come to the wrong press conference. Do I look like a person who would answer questions about politics? Go ask the president!
Old March 18, 2003, 16:27   #308
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 21:56
Morals and Money?

Quote:
I guess it's to much to ask that they abide by a moral code of their own making, and act responsibly just because it's the right thing to do.
The same thing can be said about the Dixie Chicks.

People were offended, and they will react accordingly, and if the great stars of hollywood get hurt in the process oh well! It happens all the time. The stations did abide by a moral code of their own making one that says "Don't Demean The Country That Has Made You Stars".
Old March 18, 2003, 16:32   #309
Japher
Emperor

Stars reflect and image upon everything it touches. Why do you think the all have image consultants and PR managers... So stuff like this doesn't happen. By the radio supporting their art by playing it on the air they are saying that they support the Dixie Chicks and all that they encompases, including a hatred for the American way of life... and I tell you what, that just ain't gonna float in Texas.
Old March 18, 2003, 16:38   #310
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Yes, it is. Corporations are by their very nature amoral organizations. To the extent you wish them to behave in a moral manner, you must force them to (whether by legislating it... or perhaps threatening to not buy their product: in this case, the people who called up to complain about the Dixie Chicks).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 18, 2003, 16:41   #311
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 15:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
By the radio supporting their art by playing it on the air they are saying that they support the Dixie Chicks and all that they encompases, including a hatred for the American way of life... and I tell you what, that just ain't gonna float in Texas.
They're from Texas...
Old March 18, 2003, 16:48   #312
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
"Don't Demean The Country That Has Made You Stars".
Don't criticize government policy would be much more accurate.
Old March 18, 2003, 16:51   #313
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
They're from Texas...
duh, and it sunk.

Quote:
Don't criticize government policy would be much more accurate.
Not if you want there money for doing so.
Old March 18, 2003, 16:52   #314
Ming
lifer
Retired

Yes.. ignoring the issues again...

This is about perceived censorship... even though no censorship has actually occured.

Why should musicians get special treatment. And why should somebody else lose money because of the muscians actions...

You haven't really answered that yet except to say it's the radio stations that are in the wrong for just doing their job in a legal manner.
Old March 18, 2003, 16:53   #315
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Corporations are by their very nature amoral organizations.
Corporations are made up of people, people have morals. Or is sacrifising your humanity a necessary byproduct of being a member of a corporation?
Old March 18, 2003, 16:56   #316
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

You haven't really answered that yet except to say it's the radio stations that are in the wrong for just doing their job in a legal manner.
I've answered that so many times now I can't be bothered doing it again.
Old March 18, 2003, 17:02   #317
Ming
lifer
Retired

Yep... all of your answers have said that the radio station has a moral obligation TO LOSE MONEY, even though a musician is resposible, and that it is wrong for a musician to ever lose money, even when they are the cause of the action.

Yep... that's it in a nut shell... you think musicians deserve better treatment than everybody else.
Old March 18, 2003, 17:02   #318
Japher
Emperor

While I side with Ming on this issue I took a stab at those questions... I don't think I helped at all.

Why should musicians get special treatment?

Because they supply entertainment to people, and they make a lot of money for doing so. The also have some pretty impresive talents, and when you couple that with good looks you get ditsy blondes, and we all know about them. Thus, we should let this one slide.

Whe should someone else lose money for their actions?

Because they really don't know what they are doing. They are ditsy blondes after all. Besides they have a contract with a record lable that should be taking the blunt of the hit, not them. I mean isn't that contract suppose to protect them from the retroactive effects of speeking freely? Come on world, they're sorry they are Texans and never really felt like we were a part of the Union, by our records. We need poorer people like you in order to be as rich and beautiful as we are. With a little hope cosmetic surgery will keep us looking this way for years to come.

Old March 18, 2003, 17:14   #319
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Yep... that's it in a nut shell... you think musicians deserve better treatment than everybody else.
And around and around and around in circles you go. Yet you always come back to the same place. You're getting boring Ming!

Quote:
Yep... all of your answers have said that the radio station has a moral obligation TO LOSE MONEY, even though a musician is resposible, and that it is wrong for a musician to ever lose money, even when they are the cause of the action.
Can't be as much of a cash drain as all that if many stations aren't willing to go along with the boycott. Or maybe it's that the ones who are just want some cheap publicity. And I mean cheap as in sleazy BTW.
Old March 18, 2003, 17:25   #320
korn469
Emperor

Ming

Quote:
Again... this is not censorship... They aren't playing music that people don't want to listen to. It's that simple.
it seems that in this case it is censorship, up until they made a rather tame comment over an emotionally charged issue people wanted to hear their landslide cover, and the dixie chix are an established country music act that is popular (measured by album sales)

a few people complain then a radio station blacklists them, depending on the scope of the corporation it can effectively take them off the air in a number of markets, that is de facto censorship

Quote:
Are you saying radio stations MUST play songs that people don't want. OH PLEASE
i never said that, it's not like i said the government should pass a law that says every country music station should play Fischerspooner every hour

the dixie chix makes country music songs people like, if they make songs people don't like then the market and not a blacklist can take care of it right? if enough people boycott their albums or refrain from requesting a song then it will go away on it's own, a blacklist isn't needed

it sounds like you are saying "hey a couple people were offended, we must keep this song (landslide for example) off the market even though other people want to hear it, so as not to offend the sensitive patriots out there"

Quote:
Again... people have a free choice what to say... people have a free choice what to listen too (again, you can pick up radio stations in EVERY MARKET that play their songs) and radio stations not only the right, BUT THE OBLIGATION to play songs that people want to hear
this is incorrect. depending on what area of the country you live in, you will only have certain radio stations to choose from, and if they are all playing (or blacklisting the same songs) which is quite possible because of mega media corporations who control mdia outlets then you have no choice at all, even if you retain the ability to turn the dial

Quote:
You are saying that the radio stations should LOSE money for what SOMEBODY ELSE said... That's not only NOT FAIR... It's CRIMINAL
first you have to prove that the government is forcing them to play the dixie chix and that the people really don't want to listen to them, both of which sounds like an opinion and not a fact

your argument is that corporations should have the right to ignore civil liberties to increase profits, which is simply untrue
Old March 18, 2003, 17:30   #321
Japher
Emperor

It is the radio stations, and the governments, air space and air time. If the radio station choses not to play something, they don't have to. It's not about freedom of speech it's about ownership and about someone wanting something from someone. Why do commercials have to pay for air time and songs don't? I am sure if the Chicks want their songs plaid they can pay for them to be on PBR.
Old March 18, 2003, 17:32   #322
Ming
lifer
Retired

I've said this before... you are the broken record.

First you claim censorship... but there is no censorship involved... There music is still being played across the country.

Then you claim the high moral road... but in reality, you want different standards of morality for different people.
Musicians can do what they want with out excepting responsibilities for their actions, but radio stations have to pay the price. And they are in the wrong by listening to their audience.

Then it's all about the war... but the war isn't really involved since nothing is stopping discussion of the war.

Then it's the radio stations are sleazy... yet the band felt so serious about their war views, they backed down the second they realized it was costing them money. So is really sleazy here...

So what is the real issue now. Do you even have one?

What is the real problem you have so that all of us can address it... just like we've done with EVERY ONE OF YOUR POINTS SO FAR.
Old March 18, 2003, 17:34   #323
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by korn469

it sounds like you are saying "hey a couple people were offended, we must keep this song (landslide for example) off the market even though other people want to hear it, so as not to offend the sensitive patriots out there"
Yes Ming, you never did answer my question regarding the rights of the Dixie Chicks fans that weren't offended, and might actually support their views. What are their options in all of this? Should they as well have have to kow tow to the official line because of a vocal minority?
Old March 18, 2003, 17:38   #324
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

What is the real problem you have so that all of us can address it... just like we've done with EVERY ONE OF YOUR POINTS SO FAR.
I've already spelled it out several times now, to bad you missed it.
Old March 18, 2003, 17:39   #325
Arrian
Deity

They can call the station & complain. They can say "screw that station, they suck. I'm not listening to them anymore." Then they can go out and buy the CD and listen to the songs whenever they want.

That's why I would do if, I dunno, say Phish said something that got them pulled off the air... oh, wait, the radio stations never play their songs anyway. Nevermind.

-Arrian

Old March 18, 2003, 17:42   #326
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Yes Ming, you never did answer my question regarding the rights of the Dixie Chicks fans that weren't offended, and might actually support their views.
Rights? Where does one have the right to have what they want played on the radio? There is no such thing it has nothing to do with freedom of speech if the ban is imposed by the investors.

Quote:
What are their options in all of this?
They can:
a) change the channel (there's a novel idea)
b) buy the album
c) get off of Kazaa
d) go to the concerts

Quote:
Should they as well have have to kow tow to the official line because of a vocal minority?
If it were a vocal minority nothing would of been done. If it was done in error than it is well within those peoples freedom of speech to speak up.
Old March 18, 2003, 17:43   #327
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I want the radio stations to accept the responsibility of showing both sides of the issue
So, what you are basically saying is that radio stations do not have free speech rights. By making them accept their 'responsibility' (which they don't have), you violate their free speech.

Quote:
your argument is that corporations should have the right to ignore civil liberties to increase profits, which is simply untrue
As long as it doesn't violate any laws, it IS true.

Quote:
depending on what area of the country you live in, you will only have certain radio stations to choose from, and if they are all playing (or blacklisting the same songs) which is quite possible because of mega media corporations who control mdia outlets then you have no choice at all, even if you retain the ability to turn the dial
You can't watch CMT? Or listen to radio stations on your computer? Come on now!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 18, 2003, 17:44   #328
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Yes Ming, you never did answer my question regarding the rights of the Dixie Chicks fans that weren't offended, and might actually support their views. What are their options in all of this? Should they as well have have to kow tow to the official line because of a vocal minority?
My rights are constantly being trampled by the evil radio stations who refuse to play tracks from Space Ghost's Musical Bar-B-Q. Clearly Brak's political messages are being silenced.
Old March 18, 2003, 17:50   #329
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by korn469
it seems that in this case it is censorship, up until they made a rather tame comment over an emotionally charged issue people wanted to hear their landslide cover, and the dixie chix are an established country music act that is popular (measured by album sales)
No... the fact that people changed their opinion and decided that they no longer wished to support them after their comments is the RIGHT of the listener...
The fact they no longer felt comfortable listening to the music after knowing more about the people that produce is acceptable. Music Taste is not a science, it depends on the feelings of the individual... this changed their feelings.

They then complained with letters to the stations... and the stations did what radio stations always do when they get more than a handfull of complaints... they responded in the BEST INTEREST OF THEIR AUDIENCE...
They were doing what they are supposed to be doing, playing music that people want to hear. That's not censorship...

Quote:
a few people complain then a radio station blacklists them, depending on the scope of the corporation it can effectively take them off the air in a number of markets, that is de facto censorship
Find me a single market where you can't pick up a radio station that is still playing their music. De facto NOTHING. Since you can still find them on the air EVERYWHERE, it's not even close to being censorship.

Quote:
i never said that, it's not like i said the government should pass a law that says every country music station should play Fischerspooner every hour
But you are saying the they don't have the right to pick what is played or not played on their OWN STATION... talk about censorship...

Quote:
the dixie chix makes country music songs people like, if they make songs people don't like then the market and not a blacklist can take care of it right? if enough people boycott their albums or refrain from requesting a song then it will go away on it's own, a blacklist isn't needed
Once some people heard their views, they no longer wished to support them. It isn't the the right of a consumer? What, they should buy and listen even if they don't like them anymore?

Quote:
Not at all.. I'm saying it's the right of the station to play whatever they want to... If more people sent letters saying they want to hear them, they would change their mind... but Hmmmm... that hasn't happened yet.

Quote:
this is incorrect. depending on what area of the country you live in, you will only have certain radio stations to choose from, and if they are all playing (or blacklisting the same songs) which is quite possible because of mega media corporations who control mdia outlets then you have no choice at all, even if you retain the ability to turn the dial
Again... find me a market that doesn't receive a station that still carries them... You won't be able too..

Quote:
first you have to prove that the government is forcing them to play the dixie chix and that the people really don't want to listen to them, both of which sounds like an opinion and not a fact
Again... more people have sent letters asking they not be played than people wanting it. That's not an opinion, but the only fact the stations have.

Quote:
Excuse me... they are violating nobodies rights here.
They are following the law, and answering to their public... and without their listeners, they are out of business...

It seem like you are the one arguing that musicians shouldn't be held to the same standards as other public figures. That they can have whatever opinions they want, and it won't effect how people perceive them or support them. Do these people have special civil liberties that none of the rest of us have?

Anybody with a brain know that when you talk "on the record" it can come back to bite you... which in this case it did. And as their lame apology proves, money is more important to them as well...
Old March 18, 2003, 17:51   #330
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 23:56
Quote:
By the radio supporting their art by playing it on the air they are saying that they support the Dixie Chicks and all that they encompases, including a hatred for the American way of life...
Are you saying that Chicksie Dixs have expressed a hatred against American way of life? Didn't they just express their disliking vs a certain politician, which is something completely different?