Old March 19, 2003, 12:52   #391
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 23:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
let me know when no radio stations will play their stuff... then you can call it blacklisting.
yes, lets wait until we have someone calling himself Hitler II before thinking if anything in in our democracy is going wrong

ming, how about "partial texas-wide blacklisting"?!?

Last edited by MarkG; March 19, 2003 at 12:59.
Old March 19, 2003, 14:05   #392
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 14:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Like any public figure, if you step up in front of a microphone and say something, you have to deal with what happens.
So where do you draw the line between a backlash and persecution? And I'm speaking strictly hypothetically here, the question has nothing to do with the Dixie Chicks.
Old March 19, 2003, 14:51   #393
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

If an employee of a firm is fired from their job because of a political view, they can file a wrongful dimissal suit against the company. What recourse does a celebrity have if he/she is blacklisted?
Sorry, if you offend a key client you would be fired in many cases. Wouldn't matter what you said, you'd be SOL.
Old March 19, 2003, 16:26   #394
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 17:56
Quote:
So where do you draw the line between a backlash and persecution?
As soon as you take their rights away (and there is no right to make a crapload of money).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 19, 2003, 16:35   #395
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
So where do you draw the line between a backlash and persecution?
As soon as you take their rights away (and there is no right to make a crapload of money).
Does that not include the right to hold a political view?
Old March 19, 2003, 16:38   #396
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I don't see where the Dixie Chicks are being denied their right to a political view. You keep parrot the same tired mantras, which are always shot down, and yet blame Ming of doing it?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old March 19, 2003, 16:52   #397
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
I don't see where the Dixie Chicks are being denied their right to a political view. You keep parrot the same tired mantras, which are always shot down, and yet blame Ming of doing it?
Like I said, I was thinking hypothetically with that question. I'm trying to move away from the Dixie Chicks and look at it from a broader view. Which is essentialy what I was trying to do in the first place.

So please explain to me, what rights would have to be violated before a backlash becomes persecution? And what legal mechanisms are in place to ensure that it doesn't become that? What protections are there for anyone faced with the prospect of being blacklisted?

As Korn has pointed out, media is becoming more and more concentrated, not just in the US but all over the world. We've had an ongoing debate about that issue here in Canada for awhile now as well. So what steps should be taken to ensure that these media conglomerates don't abuse their economic power to block someone's message?

Or would you prefer to deny that there is a potential of abuse?
Old March 19, 2003, 17:02   #398
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
So please explain to me, what rights would have to be violated before a backlash becomes persecution? And what legal mechanisms are in place to ensure that it doesn't become that? What protections are there for anyone faced with the prospect of being blacklisted?
First: Blacklisting isn't violation of anyone's rights. You can still exercise speech, but not in someone's movie, or on someone's TV channel, etc.

Second: The courts are there to ensure that your rights do not get taken away. If you are jailed for speaking a political view (for example) then the court can say no.

Quote:
As Korn has pointed out, media is becoming more and more concentrated, not just in the US but all over the world. We've had an ongoing debate about that issue here in Canada for awhile now as well. So what steps should be taken to ensure that these media conglomerates don't abuse their economic power to block someone's message?
Nothing. As pointed out, as media becomes more and more concentrated, the harder it is to exercise total control by the center. Since the sizes are so big, to go into every part and enforce dictates (or even making dictates) will take too much time and money.

Most media conglomerates allow the media outlets to remain free, as long as they make money.
Old March 19, 2003, 17:14   #399
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'd just like to interject that the airwaves are our property, not the media corporations'.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 19, 2003, 17:15   #400
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

So go ahead and broadcast Dixie Chicks songs yourself.

I can't believe this thread is still going.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 19, 2003, 17:24   #401
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
First: Blacklisting isn't violation of anyone's rights. You can still exercise speech, but not in someone's movie, or on someone's TV channel, etc.
So depriving someone of their career and livelihood doesn't violate their rights? What if there's no big money involved, that someone was just a bit actor trying to make it into the big time. Being denied the opportunity to pursue their chosen career is perfectly acceptable?

Quote:
Second: The courts are there to ensure that your rights do not get taken away. If you are jailed for speaking a political view (for example) then the court can say no.
We're not talking about a government intervention, this is about a corporate decision.

Quote:
Nothing. As pointed out, as media becomes more and more concentrated, the harder it is to exercise total control by the center. Since the sizes are so big, to go into every part and enforce dictates (or even making dictates) will take too much time and money.
So the media conglomerates are to have total control over what gets aired?

We had a situation here in Canada a short while ago. One of the leading editors of the newspaper in our capital was fired by the head of the conglomerate owner, who favours the current Prime Minister. The editor claims it was because he wrote an editorial unfavourable to the PM, the conglomerate simply said he wasn't doing his job. The incident raised a big stink, with many journalists and media people siding with the editor.

Should we just turn a blind eye and allow that sort of thing to occur? Give the media conglomerates carte blanche to mould the messages and information people receive as they see fit?
Old March 19, 2003, 17:29   #402
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
So depriving someone of their career and livelihood doesn't violate their rights
Do you think that it is a right to have any job you want? Do you believe that if you apply for a job, they must hire you? Come on!

So when you get rejected for a job, you think the company is violating your rights?

Quote:
So the media conglomerates are to have total control over what gets aired?
Quote:
Should we just turn a blind eye and allow that sort of thing to occur? Give the media conglomerates carte blanche to mould the messages and information people receive as they see fit?
It's their property, so yep. Even media conglomerates have freedom of speech.
Old March 19, 2003, 17:38   #403
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

It's their property, so yep. Even media conglomerates have freedom of speech.
So the fact that they have the ability to influence the ideas and opinions of millions of people means nothing? You certainly are a trusting soul.
Old March 19, 2003, 17:41   #404
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
So the fact that they have the ability to influence the ideas and opinions of millions of people means nothing? You certainly are a trusting soul.
Yes, it means nothing. and who ever said I was trusting. I don't trust the media worth a damn, doesn't mean they don't have the right to say what they want.

Hell, just because I don't trust the Commies, doesn't mean I'll take away their free speech rights .
Old March 19, 2003, 17:46   #405
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 16:56
Guy just doesn't get it, does he?

Hanoi Jane could tell the Dixie Chicks a thing or three.
Old March 19, 2003, 17:48   #406
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Yes, it means nothing. and who ever said I was trusting. I don't trust the media worth a damn, doesn't mean they don't have the right to say what they want.
And does that right include depriving others of the chance of having their views heard as well? If they control the media, they also control the avenues for expressing a dissenting view.
Old March 19, 2003, 17:51   #407
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yep... if its their property, they can pick and choose who they want on the air. That's their free speech right.

I think you now understand what we Americans mean by total free speech.
Old March 19, 2003, 17:57   #408
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Yep... if its their property, they can pick and choose who they want on the air. That's their free speech right.

I think you now understand what we Americans mean by total free speech.
But how can it be free speech if only one side gets heard? What about the voices that don't happen to have access to a mutli-million dollar media conglomerate? Isn't that denying them their right to free speech?
Old March 19, 2003, 19:41   #409
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

But how can it be free speech if only one side gets heard? What about the voices that don't happen to have access to a mutli-million dollar media conglomerate? Isn't that denying them their right to free speech?
Nope-- people can exercise their free speech with the resources available to them. if you go further and say there is a right to be " heard effectively", you create a mess. Every wingnut, racist, false propet etc would be claiming their right to access to the airwaves using the resources of others.

Now, these folks have a right to speak but they will be heard only so far as their resources permit
Old March 19, 2003, 19:42   #410
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

and if you try to differentiate which opinions get the right to be heard you create a new mess. The right to speak cannot depend on the quality of the opinion.
Old March 19, 2003, 19:47   #411
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
MOST of this is being done by individual radio DJs on their shows.
Where do you live that there are still individual readio djs? All my stations are preprogrammed.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 19, 2003, 20:17   #412
korn469
Emperor

i think the main problem is that some how large media companies have the same rights as an individual, but they have resources that far outstrips all but the very wealthiest people

If a media company decides on a message they can reach millions, while an average person would never have the resources to even come close. Many of these large companies can if they choose engage in a media blitz that can rival the amount of propaganda a nation conducts in times of war. It would be one thing if there weren't significant barriers to entry in the media sphere. Even if a person had the money to buy radio equipment, without a license from the FCC they simply couldn't start broadcasting.

I guess this is more of a freedom of the press, than a freedom of speech issue. I think all individuals should have freedom of speech. I even think if a DJ doesn't want to play a song on their show that's one thing, but when all of the might of a corporation such as clear channel, or viacom is brought to bear on an individual, that seems like it crosses a line. It seems like if there are only a very small number of corporations that own the vast majority of media outlets, then they should have to play by a slightly different set of rules than an ordinary individual. I believe that media companies if they control enough marketshare could engage in cenorship, I'm not saying they do, or they are even at they point where they can right now, but it looks like it is a very real possibility if trends don't change.
Old March 19, 2003, 21:42   #413
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Where do you live that there are still individual readio djs? All my stations are preprogrammed.
Atlanta?
Dallas isn't pre-programmed.
Old March 19, 2003, 21:42   #414
chequita guevara
Emperor

That was a rhetorical question.
Old March 19, 2003, 21:49   #415
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Well, hell. I don't know how it is in all places.