Local Date: November 1, 2010
Much better.
Old March 17, 2003, 14:29   #62
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 21:56
Better than the Bush admin's ""If there is a 1% chance of peace, we must make a 100% effort to destroy that chance".

That approach is more logical. Cause while your arm-chair diplomats are talking abotu flower power and inspections, Saddam's troops are digging themselves into the center of the earth knowing the whole things a joke.
Old March 17, 2003, 14:32   #63
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 22:56
You did not include Jules Verne in your news sources report...
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old March 17, 2003, 14:33   #64
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 23:56
Verne is more credible in comparison.
Old March 17, 2003, 14:35   #65
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Nice...dont respond to my points. Go back a few pages and talk about something else.

Go wave your red flags hippies, see if the people who matter pay any attention.I hate hippies I shoot them with my paintball gun.
Old March 17, 2003, 14:38   #66
HershOstropoler
Settler

You're so rugged.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old March 17, 2003, 14:39   #67
HershOstropoler
Settler

Points? Which ones?
Old March 17, 2003, 15:01   #68
badman
Warlord

Local Time: 23:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
The question isn't whether France or Germany will help rebuild Iraq, but whether or not the US will allow them to. I for one hope that we don't allow our enemies anywhere near Iraq...
It really makes me sad to read that. How come the Americans consider Germans and Frenchs (and the rest of the world, by the way, not counting Spain and a couple of Eastern European countries) as enemies just because they won't back a war that isn't justified in their opinion?
That is dangerous black-and-white-thinking IMHO.

I think that Europe should help the US with the rebuilding of Iraq.
But if they don't want our help I won't mind.

BTW: The US won't ensure deomcracy in Iraq. The Iraqis probably would elect a muslim fundamentalist who would turn the country into another dictatorship (an even more dangerous one since Saddam at least isn't a muslim fundamentalist).
Installing democracy in Germany after WW2 only worked because their ideology was completely destroyed as well. They knew that they had also lost in terms of morality so they didn't oppose the Americans but tried to adapt the new system.
In contrast to that, the Iraqis dislike, if not hate, the West (because of the sanctions, because of the Palestinian problem, because the different religion and culture) and they won't cooperate with the West.
So the new government will definitely be a dictatorship, too.
Old March 17, 2003, 15:04   #69
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
The question isn't whether France or Germany will help rebuild Iraq, but whether or not the US will allow them to. I for one hope that we don't allow our enemies anywhere near Iraq...

You would rather the Iraqi people recieve food, clothing, and water from only one source as opposed to many?

Old March 17, 2003, 15:13   #70
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Tass: Didn't you know, that I was up to spend money through the Red Cross out of pure greed? I wanted to secure rich oil and reconstruction contracts this way . Good that Uncle Sam watches over us and won't let me commit this atrocity.

The Americans, OTOH, are up to bomb Iraq and slaughter thousands of civilians out of pure love for peace and democracy . They aren't greedy not a bit.

Old March 17, 2003, 15:14   #71
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Tass: Didn't you know, that I was up to spend money through the Red Cross out of pure greed? I wanted to secure rich oil and reconstruction contracts this way . Good that Uncle Sam watches over us and won't let me commit this atrocity.

The Americans, OTOH, are up to bomb Iraq and slaughter thousands of civilians out of pure love for peace and democracy . They aren't greedy not a bit.

Old March 17, 2003, 15:35   #72
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 17:56
Quote:
It really makes me sad to read that. How come the Americans consider Germans and Frenchs (and the rest of the world, by the way, not counting Spain and a couple of Eastern European countries) as enemies just because they won't back a war that isn't justified in their opinion?
That is dangerous black-and-white-thinking IMHO.
There's a huge difference between not backing a war and actively opposing the US on it. France and Germany stopped being our friends months ago and are little better than Russia, China and Syria in my book. When you actively oppose the US, you make yourself our enemies...

Last edited by Drake Tungsten; March 17, 2003 at 16:45.
Old March 17, 2003, 15:37   #73
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
You would rather the Iraqi people recieve food, clothing, and water from only one source as opposed to many?
There'll be many sources of aid, not just the US. There are other nations in the coalition of the willing and humanitarian NGO's will be allowed in as well. There's no need to let the French and Germans in...
Old March 17, 2003, 16:11   #74
Ned
King

Local Time: 13:56
Also, just imagine what the French and German would be saying to the Iraqi's? They would be formenting an anti-American revolution.

Drake is right. One cannot allow the enemy on the ground to conduct or forment revolution and hate.
Old March 17, 2003, 16:23   #75
Harovan
staff

Guess it's time then to pull out our peacekeepers out of Kabul too. Let the yanks clean up their mess themselves.
Old March 17, 2003, 16:27   #76
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 16:56
The Afghanistan situation is acceptable because the warlords there are pro-US and anti-Taliban. As far as post-war Iraq, it is important no contracts to rebuilding Iraq to France or Germany, though I suppose if they wanted to send peacekeepers that'd be ok. I'd prefer any help we get come from countries other than France and Germany though...

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old March 17, 2003, 16:44   #77
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I'd prefer any help we get come from countries other than France and Germany though...
Agreed.
Old March 17, 2003, 17:18   #78
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

any suggestions who will be allowed to pay for the **** you're going to bring out then?
Israel? Bulgaria? Turkey? Cameroon?...

face it. if France and Germany won´t help, no one will.
Old March 17, 2003, 17:21   #79
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
That approach is more logical. Cause while your arm-chair diplomats are talking abotu flower power and inspections, Saddam's troops are digging themselves into the center of the earth knowing the whole things a joke.
I could of sworn that just an hour ago you said that most of the Iraqi army is going to surrender first chance it gets.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 17, 2003, 17:23   #80
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
The Afghanistan situation is acceptable because the warlords there are pro-US and anti-Taliban.
Wow, you people just keep geting scarier and scarier.

That's goin' in my sig.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 17, 2003, 17:34   #81
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Wow, you people just keep geting scarier and scarier.
Leaning back with a beer and some chips (made in America, btw) and reading their hate tirades, I find them amusing.
Old March 17, 2003, 18:05   #82
Drake Tungsten
Deity

It's not hate, but rather a profound sense of sadness and resentment that results from being stabbed in the back by countries we thought were our friends...
Old March 17, 2003, 18:06   #83
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Personally, I would want the French and Germans to contribute some dough, since any rebuilding money is coming directly from my pocket.

The way these things will work is that any money put in is spent on contracts for companies from your own country. French and German companies might be locked out of some of the more lucrative aspects of the oil industry, but if the French or German governments want to pay their own way, I wouldn't want to turn them down.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 17, 2003, 18:06   #84
HershOstropoler
Settler

"a profound sense of sadness and resentment that results from being stabbed in the back by countries we thought were our friends..."

The feeling is mutual.
Old March 17, 2003, 18:09   #85
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
The feeling is mutual.
How did the US stab Old Europe in the back?
Old March 17, 2003, 18:12   #86
HershOstropoler
Settler

The rest of the world, not just old europe. By ramming through an illegal war that will come around to bite us in the ass, just for an example.
Old March 17, 2003, 18:14   #87
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Don't you mean illegitimate, Hershell? I think we're on sufficient legal ground.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 17, 2003, 18:15   #88
Drake Tungsten
Deity

That's being ignored, not being stabbed in the back...
Old March 17, 2003, 18:17   #89
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

We do not expect our friends to necessarily agree with us when we raise a problem, and we do not reject them as enemies when they desagree. It seems that we were not friends after all.
Old March 17, 2003, 18:20   #90
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Again, French behavior has gone far beyond mere disagreement with the US. Other countries, like Canada, disagree with the US but didn't go out and actively build opposition to the United States' wishes. That's why I still consider Canada our friend, while France is not...