Old March 18, 2003, 21:21   #271
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 22:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You still do not answer my question. I think (in answer to yours) that he would resign before he would tell a lie of such magnitude for Bush or anyone else.
Old March 18, 2003, 21:21   #272
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:00
Perhaps Lincoln... but if the facts are so compelling, how come most of what the Bush admin releases is either fabricated, outdated and plagerized, or missing important facts. I mean, I believe probably has something stashed away somewhere. But why can't the US just lay evidence on the table and say, here it is. Instead, I hear political rhetoric, and like you, I don't trust much of anything politicians say. And frankly, I don't believe Bush's assertion that inspections and sanctions aren't working in the containment of Saddam.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but I saw Daschle's little response. This man is a little weasel with nothing relevant or intelligent to say.

EDIT: I understand that insulting 'Poly posters is wrong. I wasn't aware I'm not to insult members of the US government... sorry...
Old March 18, 2003, 21:25   #273
Lincoln
King

Well Sava, at least we agree on Daschle. Did your see Powell's presentation before the UN btw (about a month ago)?
Old March 18, 2003, 21:26   #274
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Yes, but I guess I can't comment on Powell anymore.
Old March 18, 2003, 21:26   #275
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Oh, stuff it, Sava. You bonehead.
Old March 18, 2003, 21:27   #276
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 23:00
Quote:
venom is dripping from your lips as you try to insite a flame war...
I did not intend to do so. Nobody should feel hurt or anything. Sorry, but I am just angry at some politicians.
For the dripping of venom, it's nothing dangerous... just a mild blackplague coming.
Old March 18, 2003, 21:29   #277
Lincoln
King

Well don't be dripping any of it around here...
Old March 18, 2003, 21:30   #278
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

We've pretty much stated that through out the next few weeks, our tolerance for flame wars will be zero.

Personal insults... and posts meant to insight flame wars WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

Again... you are welcome to your opinion, but you better be pretty damn careful how you say it.
Old March 18, 2003, 21:33   #279
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

forgive me if this crosses the line Ming...

My opinion is that Powell is a puppet for the Bush admin. I don't mean to start a flame-war with this statement, it's my personal opinion. I apologize in advance if this offends anyone who happens to disagree with me. Hopefully I won't get banned for this.
Old March 18, 2003, 21:43   #280
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln
So you think he has integrity but he is a liar? He made his statements before the UN. Did he lie to the world because he is loyal to Bush while also being a liar?
Sometimes a politician has to make a choice between his integrity towards the public and his loyalty to political friends / allies. Most politicians have to say something they deeply disagree with at some time of their career, because they are speakers for an organization they do not fully control.
It is very possible Powell accepted to lie in order to keep the cohesion of the admin.
Old March 18, 2003, 21:44   #281
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Forgive me too for being a plague sometimes. :

I will never try to incite a flame war.
My opinion is that Washington DC has been the puppet master behind many regimes in which they knew were violating human rights, and that the current hatred against USA can be explained by that foreign policy. I think it's sad, because I wish all people well.

These U.S. involvements is so well documented by neutral sources, but the major TV and Radio stations won't listen to it and buys the Washinton story, and just broadcast mindless info day after day. People got to search like crazy to find the truth...

Last edited by ThePlagueRat; March 18, 2003 at 21:49.
Old March 18, 2003, 21:48   #282
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 15:00
here's the link to the article that the Iraqis are preparing to surrender.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81446,00.html

Getting to Bagdhad will be easy. I see no serious opposition. I am a little worried about how the war in the city will go though.
Old March 18, 2003, 21:58   #283
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Hey, Rat. The majority of the U.S. doesn't give a royal Sandanavian rat's ass what you think about it.
Old March 18, 2003, 22:06   #284
Lincoln
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

Sometimes a politician has to make a choice between his integrity towards the public and his loyalty to political friends / allies. Most politicians have to say something they deeply disagree with at some time of their career, because they are speakers for an organization they do not fully control.
It is very possible Powell accepted to lie in order to keep the cohesion of the admin.
It is also very possible that he told the truth. He has no past history of lying that I know of. And he opposed Bush in the beginning and even stated at one point that he would likely not be a member of his next administration if he is reelected. A change came over him. I think it is because of the evidence that he uncovered. I think the burden of proof is on the people who think he is a liar. Where is your evidence of his past lies?
Old March 18, 2003, 22:08   #285
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Hey, Rat. The majority of the U.S. doesn't give a royal Sandanavian rat's ass what you think about it.
And slow... comments like that will have you sitting on the sidelines for the war as well..

BE CIVIL DAMN IT!
Old March 18, 2003, 22:10   #286
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Old March 18, 2003, 22:32   #287
Ned
King

Local Time: 14:00
Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
You didn't mention all the CIA operations and the funding of the 'Contras' slaughter-milita in Latin american, the coup of Allende and the insertion of dicator Pinochet, it all had US support.

Did I forget to mention CIA training of Osama and their support for Israel. (1950 and 1980 massacres of Palestinians were cleverly covered up and dodged) US involvement with Israel is probably what caused the most hatred in the middle east.
ThePlagueRat, I only mentioned the military wars and interventions because that is what you talked about in your post. What the CIA did is not military, in my view.

On the military side, you seemed to approve of American actions.

As to the CIA, I am not sure how much the CIA participated in various civil wars throughout the world. However, I sincerely doubt the CIA was directly involved in attrocities. - This may be propaganda.

It is also the subject of the current movie, The Quiet American. You can check out a thread on that movie here in this forum. But the thesis of that movie is that the CIA arranged a major car bombing in Saigon in '52 in order to blame it on the communists. The problem with this "theory" is that the guy that actually did it admitted to doing it. This was a thug named The that allegedly was being financed by the CIA. Why would the CIA arrange for a carbombing to blame in the communists if the guy who did it wanted to take public credit?
Old March 18, 2003, 23:09   #288
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

What do you mean, "sponsor?"
The history of United States throughout the twentieth century shows that the United States has propped up dictatorships during the Cold War as part of the ideological war against communism.

United States was definitely not promoting democracy.
Old March 18, 2003, 23:17   #289
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
This was a thug named The that allegedly was being financed by the CIA. Why would the CIA arrange for a carbombing to blame in the communists if the guy who did it wanted to take public credit?
Maybe he was a double agent sold to the communists and betraying his CIA employers. Or maybe he simply admitted it much later, when the attack had made its effect ?
Old March 19, 2003, 00:25   #290
Ned
King

Local Time: 14:00
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

The history of United States throughout the twentieth century shows that the United States has propped up dictatorships during the Cold War as part of the ideological war against communism.

Mr. Fun, you cannot seriously be against the basic principle that the "enemy of my enemy is my friend." After all, we allied with Stalin, Mao and Chang, all in their own way despicable, to defeat a larger menace. Surely you understand this from the WWII context?

Americans are sometime sickened by the company we have to keep. So sickened that in 1975, Senator Church lead the charge to forbid the CIA from using unsavory characters for intelligence. All this did was lead to 9/11 due to lack of human intelligence. In retrospect, what Church did harmed United States.

I don't know what would happen in the world had we not conducted our foreign-policy the way we did. But the fear at the time was that the Communists would take over the entire world and kill us. An overly particular foreign-policy with respect to allies surely would have contributed to a Communist victory.

But simply saying that we supported unsavory characters without placing it fully in context is unfair. But the left could care less about being fair when it comes to United States.
Old March 19, 2003, 01:01   #291
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:00
Quote:

Yes they did prop up anti-commie dictatorships. No they weren't promoting democracy.
They did this because they felt it necessary, not because they wanted to nor because they liked the regimes involved.
Now they don't need to do this any longer and can do something about them, particularly given the incentive.
Old March 19, 2003, 04:27   #292
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

I think the behaviour Bush Administration - Europe
and Bush Administration - Irak
is almost similar to the behaviour of Athen shortly before the Peloponesian War

Bush Administration/Athen - Europe/Attischer Seebund (sry but I don't know it's translation perhaps Attic Alliance)
Bush Administration/Athen - Irak/Sparta

We have the situation that THE MOST POWERFULL democracy of the world wants to fight a war against Irak. But in my point of view Bush's main intention isn't to establish democracy rather than to establish a global domination of the USA. Don't understand me wrong an US domination is MUCH better than a Irak domination but if you dominate the world and there is no real opposition even a democracy can show a evil beviour.
(like the democratic Athen which exploit it's allys)

Russland, Russland über alles !
Für Gott, Zar und Vaterland !
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	nicholas.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	39996  
Old March 19, 2003, 04:34   #293
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Iz kakoj dyry ty pojavilsa?

Translation, to appease the mods: Out of what hole did you appear?
Old March 19, 2003, 04:38   #294
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 15:00
Quote:
Originally posted by NikolajRomanov
Russland, Russland über alles !
Für Gott, Zar und Vaterland !
If you want to praise mother Russia, at least select a Czar that was not a total loser. Peter the Great would be a better choice.
Old March 19, 2003, 07:20   #295
muxec
Prince

Local Time: 01:00
Vse my pojavilis' iz odnoj i toi zhe 'dyry'.

To alll those who do not understand: "All we are from the same 'hole' "

P.S: I'm not vulgar, it's hole in Ming's banning system
Old March 19, 2003, 07:34   #296
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

No offense intended, it's just very amusing to see that offspring of Czarism under a German flag, using past German slogans. Makes me think what we have caught along with Perestroika and Glasnost. Oh well, may be he's just a ... I mean somebody I shouldn't feed .
Old March 19, 2003, 08:01   #297
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Who was it that brought up the Peloponesian wars on another thread in relation to the current political situation? It could be a coincidence I suppose, but one wonders.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old March 19, 2003, 08:32   #298
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

@ Sir Ralph: It was intended to be a little bit funny

I like (more or less) funny combinations
My Palpatine[GE] acc @Starcraft is described with :
Imperator Palpatine sagt: "Wenn dir jemand auf die linke Wange schlägt halte auch die rechte hinn"
A free translation is:
Palpatine says: If you are hurt by anyone don't hurt him back.

@ Lord Merciless

Quote:
If you want to praise mother Russia, at least select a Czar that was not a total loser. Peter the Great would be a better choice.
In fact he was a political looser but I like him because of his personal qualitys. I recommend you to read more about the person Nikolaj II. rather than about the politician (no offend against you in my opinion he was a overall looser to until I have read more about himself)
If I had to choose a Czar who was (more or less) politicaly successfull I would choose Alexander II.

LONG LIVES THE CZAR
Pro Patria et Gloria
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	nicholas.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	40013  

Last edited by NikolajRomanov; March 19, 2003 at 08:43.
Old March 19, 2003, 08:55   #299
Lincoln
King

Well welcome to Apolyton comrad Nikolaj! We can use a different point of view here. The same old arguments become rather boring after a while.
Old March 19, 2003, 09:35   #300
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Quote:

Oh good. We were running low on malcontents.