banana 14 30.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19, 2003, 00:14   #31
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 19, 2003, 00:16   #32
Vandal-1
Call to Power Democracy GameCall to Power MultiplayerCall to Power PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:01
The VCR 's and the TV s are on credit at 18 APR and the kids are raised by state ran preschools then schools then colleges. no mom that means no mom's values and in alot of cases no family. . The divorce rate is 60% and moms wages don't even cover Walmarts take when its all said and done. I don't think that technical advances and socail engineering have made this nation better only more efficient at exploiting people and rescources,which have caused crisis in agriculture and irreversable damage to our ecology.Just eat yer pizza and watch yer football and buy Budwieser sleep sleeep sssleeep its all gonna be OK :zzz Not all of us buy the lies and we are not f6^@king happy.
Old March 19, 2003, 00:50   #33
chequita guevara
Emperor

I think I like this guy.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 19, 2003, 01:13   #34
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:01
WW2 and the post war boom was a one time occurance. So, sort of the golden age where the bar was raised artificially high.

Mis Novias
Old March 19, 2003, 02:33   #35
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
Of course it's better. If I had to livie in the US in my year of choice, I'd pick 2003 over 1953.
You were not alive in 53, so how would you know. I was. I was 9 year old. We did not have to lock up our house. No shooting at schools. Kids had respect for adults. Coke was a dime. In fact we could go to the movies for a dime. Hambuger were 6 for a dollar. Gas was $0.19 a gallon. Little traffic even on freeways. (Modesto, California area).
Old March 19, 2003, 02:35   #36
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 17:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph
You were not alive in 53, so how would you know. I was. I was 9 year old. We did not have to lock up our house. No shooting at schools. Kids had respect for adults. Coke was a dime. In fact we could go to the movies for a dime. Hambuger were 6 for a dollar. Gas was $0.19 a gallon. Little traffic even on freeways. (Modesto, California area).
But you didn't have Poly or Civ! What ever would we do without those?
Old March 19, 2003, 02:50   #37
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

But you didn't have Poly or Civ! What ever would we do without those?
I spend to much time here now. Did not know about Aployton until 98 or 99. I was on the Compuserve 20 hrs per week back then and never when over my time.

Back to 50s. Woman did not have to work then because the husband made enough to support the family. Another thing there was no drugs in my High School. We had 1,600 kids and no drugs. Turlock High, Turlock, Ca.
Old March 19, 2003, 03:02   #38
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Worse. Hippies killed this country...
Old March 19, 2003, 03:06   #39
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

feminists would have you believe women were oppressed not to work.

things were great if you were white and middle class without a doubt. It was easily better than 2003 in that regards.

I just don't get feminists. They strove so hard to eradicate attitudes from the 50's and they are still so pissed off
Old March 19, 2003, 03:08   #40
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Coke was a dime.
My God, you sold me, we were better off 50 years ago.
Old March 19, 2003, 06:46   #41
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
However, we have a president that is effectively fighting back, in contrast with the feckless Truman.
The Truman Doctrine's policy of containing the expansion of the Soviet Bloc became the strategy that eventually led to the destruction of the Evil Empire without a world war.
Old March 19, 2003, 11:53   #42
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
50 years ago there was no CIV, No Apolyton.

Much better now.
Quote:
I live in it now, so it must be better
Nice .... I was thinking the same thing!
Old March 19, 2003, 14:52   #43
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
MrFun, 50 years ago you could go to jail or be involuntarily committed to an asylum just for being gay. You couldn't hold a government position. As bad as things may be today, they were worse 50 years ago.

That said, I think America's social peak was in the 1970s. We have a better standard of living today, but we were freer thiry years ago.
There's still racial discrimination, even if it is illegal. Discrimination based on sexual orientation is still legal in many aspects.

Yes, things have definitely improved from 50 years ago, but there's always something wrong with our society because too many people feel the compulsive need to have a minority group singled out for hatred and discrimination.
Old March 19, 2003, 15:09   #44
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler

The Truman Doctrine's policy of containing the expansion of the Soviet Bloc became the strategy that eventually led to the destruction of the Evil Empire without a world war.
Yes and no. Surely, the policy of containment sought to avoid direct confrontation with the Soviet Union. But it also envisioned actively resisting Soviet aggression by proxy. Korea was one such proxy war.

What the American people did not understand at the time the Korean War began, was that Truman would not seek to achieve victory over a communist puppet. We also did not understand that Johnson did not seek to achieve victory in Vietnam. In the 1964 election, for example, Johnson never answered Senator Barry Goldwater's essential question: "What is our objective in Vietnam?" Had they known that Johnson was willing to put American troops into a meat-grinder campaign without allowing for example, hot pursuit of the enemy across the border into Cambodia or the bombing of strategic targets in both the North and in Cambodia, the American people would never have supported Johnson. He lied to American people. He told our troops in Vietnam to lie to the American people. Our troops were forbidden to tell the press that the North enemies were staging out of Cambodia and that Johnson had ordered our troops not to pursue the fleeing North Vietnamese troops into Cambodia.

Containment?

This kind of containment has to be utterly condemned by every American. Truman in the end was a killer. He was a killer not of the enemy, but of the American troops sent to do his bidding.

Johnson was also a killer, a liar and a killer. He was the worst president in the history of the United States. He was evil. May he rot in hell.

Last edited by Ned; March 19, 2003 at 15:31.
Old March 19, 2003, 15:19   #45
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:01
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
As che said, 50 years ago I would have been sent to an asylum and had electrodes strapped to me. Today I'm free, out of the closet, and shopping for a new designer coat while drinking an iced mochafrappaccino.

Honey, life today is fabulous.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old March 19, 2003, 15:24   #46
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 22:01
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

There's still racial discrimination, even if it is illegal. Discrimination based on sexual orientation is still legal in many aspects.

Yes, things have definitely improved from 50 years ago, but there's always something wrong with our society because too many people feel the compulsive need to have a minority group singled out for hatred and discrimination.
And don't forget that the '50s were camp.
Old March 19, 2003, 15:39   #47
Ned
King

I don't know about you, but I spent a lot of time in the '50s learning how to get under our desks in school when the Russians attacked. We were definitely a nation that lived uneasily under the threat of nuclear war. Stalin was a monster. But Kruschev, who started out well, later turned into a very aggressive monster as well. Imagine the scene, if you could, of this leader of one of the most powerful countries in the world at the UN, banging his shoe on the table, and literally shouting anti-American threats.

"We shall bury you!"

Thank god we survived that. We survived because we invested heavily in our own military, and fought communist aggression across the world. We won. The Soviet Union is no more.

The end of the Evil Empire makes the world a safer place today.
Old March 19, 2003, 15:44   #48
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

You misunderstand Kruschiev, Ned. He was much more rational than Stalin. He put an end to the purges. He stopped the mass killings and removals of people. He only acted as a hard-liner in public to appease the hardline elements in the upper-echelons of the Soviet government.
Old March 19, 2003, 16:17   #49
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
... but there's always something wrong with our society because too many people feel the compulsive need to have a minority group singled out for hatred and discrimination.
What else is new? That's been going on since the dawn of civilization.
Old March 19, 2003, 16:37   #50
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
"We shall bury you!"
You know he was talking about productivity, right? He was claiming that the USSR would bury the US in consumer goods. Productivity in the USSR was growing rapidly and he didn't believe what he saw in the US.
Old March 19, 2003, 16:40   #51
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Progress is progress, honey. We may not be where we want to be, but we're a bit further down the path to freedom than we were fifty years ago. Don't put down all the great strides that were made.
Old March 19, 2003, 20:24   #52
Menlas
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Thank god we survived that. We survived because we invested heavily in our own military, and fought communist aggression across the world. We won. The Soviet Union is no more.

The end of the Evil Empire makes the world a safer place today.
Amen.
Old March 19, 2003, 20:32   #53
Ned
King

Quote:

You know he was talking about productivity, right? He was claiming that the USSR would bury the US in consumer goods. Productivity in the USSR was growing rapidly and he didn't believe what he saw in the US.
Che, as a school kid at the time, I had no misunderstanding of Kruschev's meaning.

You were joking, were you not?
Old March 19, 2003, 20:41   #54
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
You know he was talking about productivity, right?
That doesn't seem to make sense given the complete quote.
Old March 19, 2003, 21:25   #55
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
You were joking, were you not?
No.
Old March 19, 2003, 22:59   #56
Ned
King

Quote:

No.
Che, I don't know whether to pity you or to laugh at you.
Old March 20, 2003, 03:30   #57
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
In terms of civil rights? Homosexuals are still denied equal protection under the Constitution and religious fundamentalists still hold sway over a substantial population with its homophobic propaganda.
So the ship is holding steady?

I'd say things are better now than in 1953, although I can't speak from personal experience.

I'd say one big improvement in religious freedoms is Vatican 2.

If I wanted to, I could marry a Catholic.
Old March 20, 2003, 06:45   #58
Elden
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Since there is no option for either better or worse I vote banana!
Old March 20, 2003, 13:08   #59
Odin
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesApolyton UniversityRise of Nations MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 16:01
Better now than then. Back then I would be in jail for liking Kruschev.

The attempt to produce Heaven on Earth often produces Hell. -Karl Popper
Old March 20, 2003, 13:51   #60
Joseph
King

You people are just looking at the social issue only and that is sad.
Look at the 50s from my point of view. I was 6 year old in March of 50 and 15 year old in March of 59. In central Calif. it was a great time to be alive. You could walk down a street at any time without worrying about anyone hurting, kidnapping, or any thing else. Food was cheap, gas was cheap. A new pair of shoes was 6 to 8.00 a pair. A man made enough money to support a family. Almost no fighting in schools. My high school had 3 to 5 fight a year. At the school that I now work at a few years ago (96-99) we had 5 or more per week.
Leave a house unlock. Leave your car unlock. About 50% of the kids still live in the country.