Old March 19, 2003, 11:05   #31
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 23:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why? Everyone knows (or at least assumes) The US is spying on european governments, companies, and of course the EU.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old March 19, 2003, 11:07   #32
The Viceroy
Prince

If its another european nation, then lets hope they weren't stupid enough not to bug themselves !! or maybe they weren't ??
Old March 19, 2003, 11:07   #33
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Because of what I said.

Everyone spies on everyone, during a war though you shouldn't be stupid enough to get caught spying on your closest ally
Old March 19, 2003, 11:10   #34
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I think it's the Andorran Evil Secret Service
Old March 19, 2003, 11:12   #35
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

OliverFa :
I rather believe it was the pope's spec ops
Old March 19, 2003, 11:12   #36
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 17:05
Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
Everyone spies on everyone, during a war though you shouldn't be stupid enough to get caught spying on your closest ally
It's never effected our relationship with Israel and France.
Old March 19, 2003, 11:14   #37
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

It's never effected our relationship with Israel and France.
It would go down like a lead balloon over here
Old March 19, 2003, 11:17   #38
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 18:05
This reminds me of the bugs found in the State Department a couple of years ago. Don't think the retaliation amounted to anything, since I can't even remember who did it.

Yeh, we prosecute Israeli spies more than anybody else, nowadays.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 19, 2003, 11:18   #39
HershOstropoler
Settler

I think it was the Russians.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old March 19, 2003, 11:20   #40
BeBro
Emperor

It was the Spanish Inquisition.
Old March 19, 2003, 11:20   #41
TheStinger
King

I would have thought that spying on allies is restricted to commercial stuff. I would guess that military stuff is shared anyway. If a CIA/MI6 agent spied on a friendly government when it is cleraly going to embarrass everyone it would be hushed up.
Old March 19, 2003, 11:23   #42
Edan
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
Why? Everyone knows (or at least assumes) The US is spying on european governments
And vice versa.
Old March 19, 2003, 11:27   #43
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 01:05
So whaaaaaaaat?! Why would it not be the US? They have every reason to bug phones. To get that info what the French etc are up to. And for other purposes too. I'm 100% sure we do it too. Maybe not bug US phones in those buildings, but spying in other places. Of course we spy each other. We just do it in good understanding, so we don't go crazy if someone gets caught.

The only thing that would indicate someone else than the US would be that it has now become public. I'd think they would just remove those bugs and call them 'damn you' and the US would reply 'sorry mate' and back to work. They spy, we spy...
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old March 19, 2003, 11:31   #44
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

It seems possible that Russia could also be the culprit (is that what you were saying, Roland, or were you talking about the State Dept bugging?). Aren't Russia and the EU in talks on a range of trade-related and other issues?

Pekka: Killjoy!
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 19, 2003, 11:36   #45
TheStinger
King

I would think the EU's internal security is bollocks, so it could be anyone, including a provate company who could then sell on info to the highest bidder
Old March 19, 2003, 11:41   #46
Pekka
Emperor

Even if everyone was in good relations to each other, kissing and hugging, they'd still all spy on each other. It doesn't necessarily mean anything bad blooded, it's just what everyone does..
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old March 19, 2003, 12:05   #47
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
It seems possible that Russia could also be the culprit (is that what you were saying, Roland, or were you talking about the State Dept bugging?).
The State Dpt thing.

About the EU's security, AFAIK they're quite sloppy about it. For the EUMC and PSC they had to heavily adapt some building to provide some security from bugging.
Old March 19, 2003, 12:40   #48
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 22:05
Quote:
Bugs have been discovered at EU offices used by the French and Germans !
Bugs? Call Terminex
Old March 19, 2003, 13:02   #49
Vandal-1
Call to Power Democracy GameCall to Power MultiplayerCall to Power PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:05
I have to agree that it is someone outside the normal circle someone who does nt have the satelites and interception gear that the US uses (bugs are obsolete if you know about jamming ) its like finding a stabbing victim and accusing that guy over there with the machine gun of murder. Well maybe he has a knife too! but he'd have to have a circumstance that made it the optimal means
Old March 19, 2003, 21:16   #50
tinyp3nis
Prince

Interesting. This all leads me to believe it is Microsoft. They have history with bugs!
Old March 19, 2003, 21:36   #51
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

DanS - Americans spied on Israel too. We even accidentally (or not) bombed a ship of yours that did just that during 1967.

And anyhoo, you should be thankfull we spy on you and everything else. From what I read, Israel has at times provided the US with info such as top secret politburo protocols.

Also, from what I read, instead of being tied up by beurocracy and political contests, the Israelis actually followed arab terrorists in the USA quite closely, and according to what I read, have even tried to warn the US , several times about something big happennind in September.
Old March 19, 2003, 21:54   #52
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 16:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
DanS - Americans spied on Israel too. We even accidentally (or not) bombed a ship of yours that did just that during 1967.

And anyhoo, you should be thankfull we spy on you and everything else. From what I read, Israel has at times provided the US with info such as top secret politburo protocols.

Also, from what I read, instead of being tied up by beurocracy and political contests, the Israelis actually followed arab terrorists in the USA quite closely, and according to what I read, have even tried to warn the US , several times about something big happennind in September.
So the jews knew!!! Just what the anti-semites wnated to hear, and from Siro....

The problem Siro is that it seems your intellifgence services were more riddled with soviet spies than the US's, and thw POllard case was very damaging. Besides, with all the free info and money we give Israel, whats the deal? Ha Man?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 20, 2003, 03:38   #53
Hurricane
Warlord

The US, obviously. Could you seriously suspect anybody else?

Let's hope that the EU puts a bit more effort in anti-spy work after this.
Old March 20, 2003, 04:58   #54
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 06:05
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
If it were us, do you think they'd have found the bugs?
Yup.

If you are talking about crypto, NSA is probably the best. CIA, on the other hand, isn't quite so hot.
Old March 20, 2003, 06:43   #55
CharlesBHoff
Prince

The CIA is the most dumbest Intelligence serive around . The CIA planned and try to carry out the Bay of Pig Fiaso in Cuba when Kenndry was president. The CIA show the plan
to Ike when Ike was president an Ike threw then out of the White House saying this supid plan of your will never work.
Ike planed D-Day in world war II.
Old March 20, 2003, 06:50   #56
Sikander
King

It was me, but I plead guilty...with an explanation. You see, I just couldn't get to sleep. I tried drugs, hypnosis, everything, but nothing worked until I discovered the soothing tones of a massive bureacracy inaction. It probably saved my life!
Old March 20, 2003, 07:02   #57
HershOstropoler
Settler

Holy crap. That would be so much easier by just reading the EU's official journal online....
Old March 20, 2003, 07:04   #58
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
Holy crap. That would be so much easier by just reading the EU's official journal online....
Not to mention a lot less expensive. Do they have streaming audio? It's the droning on and on that gets me drowsy.
Old March 20, 2003, 07:38   #59
Chemical Ollie
King

Investigators believe those bugs has been in place since the buildings were constructed almost 10 years ago. But they are state-of-the art devices, so it has to be a very advanced agency.
Old March 20, 2003, 08:31   #60
red_jon
NationStates
King

This could be a numer of countries, but when I read the article the time the US attempted to bug the private plane of the leader of China and were caught sprung to mind...

Though it could also have been Britain, Russia or France...