Local Time: 22:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Roll the top of the bag down, thats the handle
Old March 19, 2003, 15:25   #32
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 00:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Elok: It's a thread for fun (even if I'm curious). Even a couple of the americans are going along with the weight-joke with good humour. Feel free to mock my country. If you can find it on a map that is. Well, whoops there I did it again.

Now the Champions Leauge games are about to start (real football ) so I have bo time to insult you any futher.
Old March 19, 2003, 15:26   #33
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 17:06
Here in the south where we use our own version of the environmentally unfriendly ICA Kassa.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old March 19, 2003, 15:28   #34
Stuie
King

Local Time: 18:06
I was the manager of a retail health and beauty aides store a while back, and upper management actively encouraged us to use the plastic bags because they were cheaper. We continued to stock paper bags (without handles, mind you) to appease the environmentally conscious.

So even the handle-less paper bags cost more than plastic; imagine if you slap a handle on as well. It all comes down to economics. How do you think we got so rich and fat.

By the way, rarely do people encounter the problems that television characters seem to have carrying handle-less paper bags. Once you get used to it, you can get four or five from the car to the kitchen with no big problem. And they only rip if you grab them by one edge at the top - the bottoms are not constantly falling out spilling the contents all over the place.

Honestly, I think handles on paper bags are a sign of laziness and over-engineering.
Old March 19, 2003, 15:28   #35
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin

Now the Champions Leauge games are about to start (real football ) so I have bo time to insult you any futher.
Thats OK, if you just follow the Swedish teams you'll be back soon.
Old March 19, 2003, 15:32   #36
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

They'll even bring your groceries out and place them in your car for free, so we can get fatter.
This christmas I pretty much had to forcibly restrain a bagger who wanted to help with the bags. I told him to go help an old lady somewhere so he could get his scout badge that way.
Old March 19, 2003, 15:43   #37
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 15:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Are you actually trying to use paper grocery bags as a troll topic?

-Arrian
Obviously!
Old March 19, 2003, 15:44   #38
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

'twas just a question, and I was satisfied with the answer.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 19, 2003, 15:54   #39
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

I still haven't had that "Why do british sinks and handbasins have separate taps for hot and cold water" query answered.
Old March 19, 2003, 15:55   #40
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Mmm-hmm...
Well, I'm not sure how I would find your country at all seeing as there's no flag next to your name, but fair enough.
Actually, like I said, that wasn't me, angry. That was me, irritated. When I'm *angry* I generally don't post at all. Still, couldja maybe indicate w/one of those smileys or something next time you post something that could be read ambiguously? This is the internet; stupid Americans like me can't guess your tone of voice and facial expression from plain words on a screen. Probably I need to do that more too. Eh, nobody's perfect.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old March 19, 2003, 16:02   #41
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 14:06
well Kropo, I guess we will know how to get Ewok wound up in the future - paper bag handles! Good to know.

GAIS in the Champions League next season??
Old March 19, 2003, 16:18   #42
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin

It's not at all meant as a troll. I just find it interesting that sometimes even in modern societies some strange habits and products seems to survive. Like the milk bottles Post-Tetra.
Actually the handles used on paper bags generally aren't very sturdy. Whenever a storeclerk hands my heavy goods to me in a paper bag with handles I generally ignore the handles and carry the the bag the traditional way.
Old March 19, 2003, 16:22   #43
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Especially when it's those chintzy paper handles that are glued on.
Old March 21, 2003, 07:29   #44
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Uh, I'm Elok, not Ewok...or were you referring to the teddy-bear critters from Return of the Jedi? I don't know how you would go about getting them upset. Wearing fur, I suppose. Since they're imaginary creatures I suppose it doesn't matter.
Anyway, I think I owe you guys an apology for wednesday. Dunno why I was so snippy. Probably because I'd had a long day at college and was about to go off babysitting. Whatever the case, hopefully I'll react more calmly next time people joke about my country's health problems. Or something to that effect.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old March 21, 2003, 07:38   #45
Kropotkin
Emperor

I tried to answer in this thread twice already but failed, something with the forum or my computer but now that you've bumped it I might as well do so again. third time is a charm.

Elok: FYI, I'm swedish but I'm not using a flag next to my name and avatar since I'm no nationalist. Apology, if you really think it's needed, obviously accepted.

As for the topic; Funny, I haven't had any real problems with the handles of paperbags around here. I usually use plastic as I re-use them in the trashcan under the sink. Maybe there's a great difference in the design or maybe I just don't put as much in them as you do.

GAIS will obviously be in the Champions leauge next season - not!
Old March 21, 2003, 08:38   #46
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
I still haven't had that "Why do british sinks and handbasins have separate taps for hot and cold water" query answered.
Mine doesn't. I'm enlightened.
Old March 21, 2003, 08:42   #47
Demerzel
Warlord

because sometimes I want cold water and sometimes I want hot?
Old March 21, 2003, 09:23   #48
Sikander
King

Local Time: 15:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Sten Sture
that was a delayed simul post. you will note that 2 feet can now be considered to be a verified standard distance for Ameros
That being the average distance from the average American's spine to his belly.
Old March 21, 2003, 10:25   #49
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 23:06
To all you wise Americans and Europeans who STILL USE BAGS (lol) I tell you what the next step into the future is!

Shopping Boxes or in German: Klappbox (direct-translated: flapping box)

Yep right. They are made out of plastic and are constructed to take minimal space when you do not need them and when you need them unfold their full potential.
They are completely enviroment friendly because they hold out much longer. Usually you would need 2-3 per Family and maybe every two years you need to renew one of them. They can also hold much longer though.

I have lifted such boxes filled with goodies (yummi) that were really more than enough weight than anyone wants to handle alone and those boxes are still alive. They get taken with to any shopping course.

Even more pracitcal is that you can put all the stuff into them that you do not put into the fridge and place them somewhere else (bottles of coke, mineral, beer, whatever you drink). You can also put your empty bottles or metal thingies into them to take them with you and recycle them at the supermarkt (assumed your supermarkt has a place for recycling).

And you can also carry them like paper boxes without handles, though you would need 2 arms for one box. Which I guess is recommended for 20+ kilogramms.
And you do not need to put extra care where you put them in the car because they will stand ground and not fall and everything roll out.

It is enivronment friendly, safe, more convenient and cheaper!

Here are some pcitures:
1. http://www.ecodesign-beispiele.at/data/art/22.jpg
2. http://www.mytoys.de/intershoproot/e...-1025563-n.jpg
3. http://www.boulevard24.de/Shops/clax/klappbox_animi.gif (animated folding and unfolding - watch this!!)
4. http://www.ieq.de/images/grafik1/278315.jpg

Ata
Old March 21, 2003, 10:45   #50
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Atahualpa It is enivronment friendly, safe, more convenient and cheaper!
Carry a plastic box to the grocery store in order to shop. Not in America my friend. Didnt you see the 2 feet comments (ie max distance most americans will carry a grocery bag)? They werent joking.

Well maybe a little, but no-one would take a bag or box to the store to carry their groceries in.
Old March 21, 2003, 10:55   #51
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 23:06
sorry if I made myself not clear.

You have a trolly. And you place the box into the trolly. And everything you buy is in the box. And you trolly the box to the car and lift it in and then trolly the trolly back to the place were all the trollys stand.

I find it very practical. Even more because in a high paper bag the whole weight lies on the bottom and that gets squashed.

A positive side effect is that you always have a box at home where you can put stuff in when you need it. And when you do not need it, it takes virtually no space.
Old March 21, 2003, 11:02   #52
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH

Well maybe a little, but no-one would take a bag or box to the store to carry their groceries in.
My family must be weird. We have three or four canvas bags (*with handles, no less*) that my wife takes to the grocery store each time she shops. When we lived in New Hampshire, the store actually knocked 5 cents per bag off your order to encourage the practice. Pennsylvania isn't quite as enlightened.
Old March 21, 2003, 11:03   #53
SpencerH
Emperor

I understood that you have a cart while at the store. The 2 ft comment has to do with laziness. The problem is that we'd have to take the box to the store. Thats way too much effort. We'd much rather fill up garbage dumps with billions of plastic bags.
Old March 21, 2003, 11:06   #54
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

My family must be weird. We have three or four canvas bags (*with handles, no less*) that my wife takes to the grocery store each time she shops. When we lived in New Hampshire, the store actually knocked 5 cents per bag off your order to encourage the practice. Pennsylvania isn't quite as enlightened.
Heathen, you probably recycle too NH has obviously picked up too many of those strange foreign ways.
Old March 21, 2003, 11:17   #55
Kropotkin
Emperor

Atahualpa: So you can make magic boxes but it's still near impossible to get a pack of milk on a sunday? Well, that's what I call development.
Old March 21, 2003, 11:28   #56
Spec
Emperor

Have you ever heard the saying:

Paper or plastic?

We do have the choice you know?

Spec.
Old March 21, 2003, 11:37   #57
ricketyclik
Call to Power PBEMCall To Power SuperLeagueIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Delian LeagueCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator
Have you ever heard the saying:

Paper or plastic?

We do have the choice you know?

Spec.
I thought that means the same as "cash or charge?"
Old March 21, 2003, 12:15   #58
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH

Heathen, you probably recycle too NH has obviously picked up too many of those strange foreign ways.
That's why we moved back to Pennsylvania. Too many French speakers up there in NH; I didn't want the children exposed to that.

Just so we're all clear, the above statement was intended as humor. I have no ill-will toward French speakers and do not believe there would be many ill effects from having my children associate with them.

I would like to apologize for the above disclaimer. When I said "many" I was again attempting "humor". I in no way believe that exposure to French speaking individuals can cause harm to children.
Old March 21, 2003, 12:32   #59
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

@ Stuie.

Reminds me, kinda, of the "disclaimer" at the start of "Dogma"

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 21, 2003, 12:43   #60
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
With handles it's easier to carry and if it's easier to carry you can consume more!!! That's your solution for the current economic situation!
Bags with handles will cost more, that additional cost would be passed on to the consumer, causing grocery prices to go up, resulting in less consumption.

Whereas the other bags are cheaper to make, which allows prices to go down, which increases consumption, leading to an increase in sales.

I think your logic here is backwards