Old March 28, 2003, 04:09   #91
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 22:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1450 AD

Joan of the Arc short address on New Year Eve (1450 FR) ‘Don’t worry, be happy.’
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	au207 1450h ad.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	40921  
Old March 28, 2003, 04:10   #92
Mountain Sage
King

Pffff....

Enough for today! You'll get the rest on Monday.
Am I monopolizing this thread???
Old March 28, 2003, 19:53   #93
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 18:06
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Awesome, MS!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 28, 2003, 23:56   #94
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 17:06
Great story MS!

Next time though, when printing a diplomacy screen, try sorting the cities in some sort of way, so that we can get more information from those screenshots...

--Kon--
Old March 29, 2003, 16:55   #95
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 00:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A very average game. I picked the Russians for the first time in my CIV3 history. I had some luck with the huts (see image), but was unable to find any of the two isthmuses to the north before it was too late.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	settler.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	41041  
Old March 29, 2003, 17:00   #96
Chemical Ollie
King

The Babs sneak attacked me with a warrior. I was able to hold them back and pillage some improvements for them, but when an overwhelming force approached my outpost (hut settler) city, I made peace for alphabet and some gold. A while later I attacked them and got my revenge (see picture).
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	peace deal.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	41042  
Old March 29, 2003, 17:02   #97
Chemical Ollie
King

With the Babs as closest neighbour, no one could sleep at night. Saddam is Babylonian, after all. In a third and final war, I wiped them out.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	no saddam.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	41043  
Old March 29, 2003, 17:12   #98
Chemical Ollie
King

I secured the two chokepoints to the north by building a city on each. Now I also had two "canals" to the great central lake. Could prove to be useful later, in the age of battleships. However, further expansion was now blocked by the Germans and Zulus. China declared war in the middle ages. They sneak attacked with a large stack of swordsmen and took one of my chokepoint cities. I reclaimed it on the next turn and used my diplomatic skills to turn the whole known world against China (picture). I didn't see a single Chinese for the rest of the war.
They gladly made peace and gave me some tech.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	clusterfuk.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	41044  
Old March 29, 2003, 17:18   #99
Chemical Ollie
King

I was among the leaders in tech, but realised I had to do something to stay there. Making contact to other continents was highly desirable. I sent some kamikaze galleys. They could all manage to survive for 3-4 turns on the ocean, but there was just too much water. The image shows the most succesful right before it sunk.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	daredevil.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	41045  
Old March 29, 2003, 17:37   #100
Chemical Ollie
King

Just a few turns after the last kamikaze galley sunk, I found out someone else had reached the other shore. I payed for contact with the whole world and realised I was behind in tech. I traded some, but it wasn't enough. I played a peaceful builder game, but rushed for military tradition to get Cossacks. I started to build them in masses, but didn't have more than 20 when Japan tried to blackmail me and declared war. They came both through Germany and Zululand with plenty of cavallery. I made RoP with Zulu but they soon allied with Japan. I took some Zulu cities but they took them back. I'm in the early industrial ages and in golden age. Most of the others are 4-5 techs ahead of me. I will probably keep up with Japan in the war, but I don't expect to gain much land.

My score is very average 1150 in AD 1500. Not good for a huge map. This game is boring and I will probably call it a day.

I might replay as the Egyptians but probably not. Too much mountains and desert around the capitol.

BTW, I played 1.29 on monarch level.
Old March 29, 2003, 23:06   #101
badams52
King

Local Time: 14:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
My score is very average 1150 in AD 1500. Not good for a huge map. This game is boring and I will probably call it a day.
Boring??? Why do you say it was boring Olaf? Sounds like you're in the midst of a struggle which is usually the most enjoyable part for me. Wish you were had UP?

One other thing I've noticed is that in the wars you guys have had, one very commonaility is getting alliances to help you. While this can be done on a smaller continent, seems to me that it's even more important on the huge map. But with alliances, you have to hope that one of them doesn't dominate and take all the land.
Old March 30, 2003, 07:29   #102
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by badams52

Boring??? Why do you say it was boring Olaf? Sounds like you're in the midst of a struggle which is usually the most enjoyable part for me. Wish you were had UP?
It's boring because it will take hours and hours to win this game, and still I'm too far behind to even get the win into my Hall of Fame. I could agree to the "midst of struggle" part, but after the current struggle is over, there are so many more gaming hours needed to achieve a victory.
Old March 30, 2003, 15:34   #103
Chemical Ollie
King

Someone sold me contact with the Egyptians, and man, are they pathetic? I thought I was behind, but these poor creatures are still in the ancient age when the rest of the world is industrial. They have plenty of incense, which I would need (see next post).
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	pathetic.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	41139  
Old March 30, 2003, 15:39   #104
Chemical Ollie
King

This is extremely bad timing for war disorder. The whole world is ganging up on me, at least the other continent is. My golden age is ruined by my people's unhappiness and as I play the Russians, change to monarchy would give me perhaps 5 turns of anarchy. Raising the luxury level is probably my only option, which will cripple my golden age research and cashflow.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	bad timing.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	41141  
Old March 30, 2003, 15:42   #105
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Get those Riflemen out of Moscow and up to the front!
Old March 30, 2003, 17:48   #106
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
Get those Riflemen out of Moscow and up to the front!
Not a good idea. They are ship-landing cavallery behind my lines and actually took a city that way. My capitol will be defended. They will not contribute that much anyway. I have no problem to hold my chokepoints, only to advance further.
Old March 30, 2003, 20:02   #107
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Ugly...

Olaf, do you want to post a save from a key juncture or a tough spot?

BTW, I am still working away at this one... it may take me a month or more, but at some point I will do an, ummm, interesting AAR. My poor computer can barely handle it.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 31, 2003, 02:04   #108
badams52
King

Local Time: 14:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Ugly...

Olaf, do you want to post a save from a key juncture or a tough spot?

BTW, I am still working away at this one... it may take me a month or more, but at some point I will do an, ummm, interesting AAR. My poor computer can barely handle it.
I feel your pain Theseus, my comp wouldn't handle such a game well either.

Olaf, I don't know what to say except, U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you ugly.

Maybe you could give peace a chance?
Old March 31, 2003, 07:44   #109
Mountain Sage
King

1450 AD
Conclusion of Her Majesty’s Police Overseer’s recommendations: ‘In respect to the zero crime rate in our capital for the 35th year in a row and in respect of the overwhelming happiness of our citizens, I humbly recommend Her Majesty to disband the Royal Police Force.’
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au207 1450e ad.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	41202  
Old March 31, 2003, 07:45   #110
Mountain Sage
King

1555 AD
AFP (Associated French Press)
Breaking News: Our glorious nation has been unanimously declared ‘The Happiest Civ in the World by Lord Mc Cauley’

Breaking News: Our Top Economists propose ‘negative taxes’

Excerpts from MS’s personal diary: ‘Who the hell is Lord Mc Cauley???’
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au207 1555 ad.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	41204  
Old March 31, 2003, 07:46   #111
Mountain Sage
King

1670 AD
Excerpts from: ‘An Illustrated History of the Rise of the French Empire’ by Mountain Sage, AC 935.
The fact that our Mistress Joan decided not to run for election as the UN General-Secretary, to the dismay of (almost) all other countries, has to be viewed to her AC secret project, which was going to start very soon. As she once told me in private, ‘Why should I be the rooster of chicken coop when I could rule the whole farm?’
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au207 1670 ad.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	482.7 KB
ID:	41205  
Old March 31, 2003, 07:47   #112
Mountain Sage
King

1715 AD
Excerpts from: ‘An Illustrated History of the Rise of the French Empire’ by Mountain Sage, AC 935.
The year 1715 FR will be a historical landmark in the French history.
From MS’s personal diary: The secret start of the AC project reminded me that Joan’s ‘farm’ would be bigger than any on this planet.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au207 1715 ad.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	41206  
Old March 31, 2003, 07:48   #113
Mountain Sage
King

1790 AF
Before the Great Journey, our Milady had to disband the mighty French military (see attached chart). She decided to keep the Workers, though, feeling that she might use them …
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au207 1790 af m.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	41207  
Old March 31, 2003, 07:50   #114
Mountain Sage
King

1790 AD
‘People of the Earth, of this earth. As I am addressing you from the command bridge of French starship ‘Nouveaux Horizons’, the last of my citizens are boarding other ships to leave this earth forever. We are not sailing to the Moon or to Mars, but to the Sun’s twin sister, Alpha Centaury. A new planet and a new life await us there.
Now you have two choices. You can either bicker and squabble about our abandoned land, thus showing that you have, and will, never learn from history and from yourselves,
or you can start acting like grown up humans and pool your resources together to build your own spaceships and join us later on. You know our address.
This is why I say to you not adieu, but au revoir.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au207 1790 w.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	41208  
Old March 31, 2003, 07:52   #115
Mountain Sage
King

Game, set and match.

Dominae, YS and all the others: Great job.

When is AU 208 scheduled?
Old March 31, 2003, 09:04   #116
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 17:06
Great game MS!

Give us some time! We need to play it through...

--Kon--
Old March 31, 2003, 09:52   #117
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yes, nice game Mountain Sage! I knew a peaceful victory was the best way to beat this map, but was hoping everyone would want to warmonger and make things a lot harder on themselves...You were one of the only ones to resist!

Any after-game strategy thoughts?

Dominae
Old March 31, 2003, 11:48   #118
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 15:06
I finished yesterday after putting in one of those "drink a lot of beer and play civ until 3:00 am on Friday night" followed by one of those "lounge around the house playing civ and suffering under a minor hangover on Saturday" experiences.

I played Emperor, standard rules, PTW version, and drew the French. I'll have screenshots and a limited AAR either today or tonight, I expect. In the meantime . . .

Great game and AAR Mountain Sage

Where are all the warmonger games with people taking the home continent?

I felt that moving from the starting position was the best play on turn one. The power of a very early hut settler is immense, and I hate to waste the opportunity by popping a hut when founding the first city. In our start position, moving one tile didn't seem to involve a noticeable degradation of starting terrain, but did preserve the opportunity to pop a settler. Without any military units, even a non-expansionist civ won't pop barbs from a hut (so no risk); but, since a settler seems to remain "active" as the hut is popped - settling in 4000 BC and popping a hut eliminates the possiblity of getting a settler. I moved onto the forest to the SE and my worker irrigated and roaded the starting plains square before moving into the hut just before I completed my first warrior (whose completion would have opened the opportunity to get barbs from the hut).

NorMe's screenshot from the first page of this thread shows what is supposed to happen if all goes well! In my case, as Charlie Brown says at Halloween time, "I got a rock."

More to follow later.

Catt
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3800 bc - hut popped.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	41219  
Old March 31, 2003, 12:07   #119
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

I still have to learn from Mountain Sage how to do a peaceful AAR: I just have nothing to say.
I've been building since my archer rush up to the present year of 130BC.
Moscow decided that settlers were still unnecessary so turned its size advantage into a production advantage and switched from archers to the Pyramids, eventually building them in 900BC.

In case anyone wants to exploit this, I've discovered that, unlike when abandoning cities, when you give a city away any pop-rushing unhappiness does not jump to nearest city.

By researching Mathematics followed by a 40-turn Currency, I was able to bridge the gap between Expansionist and Scientific to always be in a position to have the advantage in tech trading. Now in 130BC, I'm in republic, have Republic and Monotheism ahead of any other civ, have 1300 gold in the bank and can research Feudalism in 9 turns from scratch. Moscow is 13 truns from the GL and hopefully that's going to be a Sun Tzu prebuild.

But I'm behind even MS in conquest, I only control the land up to the 2 chokepoints.
Old March 31, 2003, 12:12   #120
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Catt, there are advantages to playing the Russians.

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
Where are all the warmonger games with people taking the home continent?
We're sill waiting for more details on Nathan's game.
Only replay screenshots won't show how he was able to build enough roads to use War Chariots against so many civs.