Old April 7, 2003, 20:22   #211
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
(Increase the AI aggression levels for a huge map (?))
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old April 7, 2003, 20:53   #212
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 18:06
I agree with Nathan re: the cultural victory should be adjusted for map size.

Come to think of it, there is no way I'll make it to the SS. I'll win culturally well before that.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 7, 2003, 21:08   #213
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 17:06
You want a piece of me ?!?
This is it!

The Mongols stole the GL by 4 turns from me in the early game. They conquered the Americans, probably using their Keshiks. They've been aggressive throughout the whole game, even blackmailing me at on e point.

Now, they come and backstab me, as I tried to be friendly with them!

I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!

I've enlisted every civ on my continent, every powerful civ on the other continent and signed an embargo with all of the others. It gives a pretty messy F4 screen, but it's really worth it.

My palace is 25 turns from completion in Berlin and I am 2.5 techs from tanks. I do not fear for my Civ, I'm just utterly angry!

I'll play maybe this evening, as I'm kind of busy with something called real life right now...

More on this later...

--Kon--
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	au 207-33 coalition.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	41920  
Old April 7, 2003, 21:34   #214
BigDork
Prince

Local Time: 22:06
Give'em hell Kon. Take no prisoners. I've always had problems with the Mongols whenever I've played with them in a game. Having them and Germany on the same continent sure made for an aggressive game. Japan doesn't help either.

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old April 7, 2003, 21:36   #215
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 15:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
Additional game notes and thoughts later.
I'm a bit hesitant to draw many conclusions on huge maps after only one game -- the last time I played a huge map game was under vanilla civ v1.07 or v1.16, I think. Nonetheless, several things struck me, and struck me to such a degree that I'm skeptical that my results in this game could be wholly fluky -- in other words, some things were so striking as to present themselves to me, until I see otherwise, as true game differences between huge and standard maps.

Some of these striking observations:

* The OCN seems a bit screwy. My REX was slowed by (i) setting aside city #2 and (ii) a somewhat late granary in Paris, but it wasn't completely incompetent. I was roughly the size of many of my AI neighbors after the REX phase. Nonetheless, I couldn’t build the FP until I built one throwaway city just to trigger the FP build! It seems to me that it would be quite easy to be denied an FP build without some early warfare if one's start isn't great.

* Related to above -- the screwy OCN means corruption was never an issue. I was building universities (200 shields) in 8 - 15 turns (max) in even my farthest flung cities before the FP was built. Compact empires can be very, very productive.

* Tech research / leadership positions are surprisingly easy to secure. I secured a tech leadership position in the early middle ages -- well before I even had the FP built. My AI competitors often had solid start positions and even greater REXing results, but in a game I played entirely peacefully -- without even taking out the Babylonians who played with a large target painted across their flag -- I secured enough land to be a "world power." I cannot even imagine securing a tech lead on a standard map with less than the number of cities required for an FP build -- simply unthinkable.

* Peaceful "building" works better on larger maps. Related to all of the above -- with much less pressure to aggressively take land from rivals in order to assume a leadership position, war becomes even more of an option as opposed to a near requirement. I believe war on a huge map must offer as many, or nearly as many, rewards as war on a standard map, but peaceful playing doesn't demand as many concessions regarding one's leadership position as a smaller map does.

* Again related to the above – a later game peaceful approach seems to be easier than on smaller maps. IMHO, during the age of rifleman and infantry, you can usually count on at least several wars among the AIs, including the AI leaders. Since the AI is so very bad at Industrial Age warfare, these wars essentially offer the player who opts for peace to skate along at the lead while the closest challengers attrite themselves into backwardness. With 12 – 14 AI civs, instead of 5 – 7 AI civs, you can pretty much be sure that much of the world will descend into fruitless warfare – you can join in and take spoils (unlike the AIs) or you can remain neutral and research at 4 – 7 turns while the AIs’ research engines stall.

* Trading skills (resources) are better tested on huge maps. Securing the land necessary to obtain local and exportable sources of 4+ luxuries (let alone 8) is a bigger enterprise. One’s ability to trade luxuries (and to a lesser extent, I think) strategic resources, will be more important than on smaller maps – smaller maps seem to me to offer opportunities for quick and more efficient seizures of desired resources.

* Diplomacy (in the sense of relations / attitude, etc. leading to a UN vote) is more challenging, if only because you’ve got to keep your eye on XX civs instead of X civs.

* Because of the increased importance of trade / diplomacy / “peaceful warfare,” micromanagement is a greatly increased burden. At or near a tech lead, trying to strike the most advantageous series of tech trades to the AI civs is time-consuming process – so much so that I frequently didn’t bother to do it “the right way” – I would just sell a tech to the 2, 3, or 4 closest competitors one after the other and then make the rounds of more distant competitors and sell them some outdated techs.

* Turn length is still very problematic. I recently bought a new laptop – 1.8 Ghz Intel Celeron, 256 MB RAM – not state-of-the-art by any stretch of the imagination, but a big leap ahead of my prior laptop (PII 350 Mz, 128 MB RAM). Even so, by the late middle ages / early industrial ages, I experienced delays of approximately 1 minute each twice during each turn – first after completing all of my city management decisions (builds, etc.) and then again after I had completed all of my unit moves (no background programs other than Irfanview running). Since I was playing peacefully (no excitement and resulting lengthy turns of engaging warfare), the bulk of many, many turns was waiting as AI civs went through their decision-making processes. It would have been painful to play 10 more hours to get to an AU-Mod SS victory or even several more hours to get to a standard-rules SS victory.

And now, abandoning the “bullet point” approach, an attempted over-arching view that surprised me the most – I think the huge map game is actually easier than a standard map game! This goes against all my prior experience under previous versions. Under vanilla civ v1.16, v1.17, or perhaps even v1.21, my impression was that huge map games were decidedly more difficult. Of course I recognize that my skills have improved since way back when, but I am still dazzled by one of my earlier observations – I cannot imagine securing a significant tech lead on a standard map with less than the number of cities needed to build an FP. I’m inclined to believe that the reduction in “tech whoring” over several versions, combined with the restructuring of tech costs under 1.29f (and perhaps adding in the slightly more aggressive AI posture under PTW which allows the “AI shoot itself in the foot” syndrome) means that the “scaling up” of difficulty with map size is no longer necessarily accurate.

I’ve no doubt glossed over other observations that don’t come to mind at the moment, but I’ll add more later if and when it comes to me.

EDIT: And I completely agree that the 100K culture should scale with map size.

Catt

Last edited by Catt; April 7, 2003 at 22:03.
Old April 7, 2003, 22:00   #216
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

GROG LIVES!
In 1425 AD, in the middle of a massive Cavalry vs. Cav/Sam/Musket war:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	grog lives!.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	41926  

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 7, 2003, 22:04   #217
Arrian
Deity

Grog provides me with Universal Suffrage. He will FINALLY get that Tank I promised him.

The Japanese are going down hard. A few more turns & they're toast. I'm taking about 1 city per turn (more like 2-3 every 2 turns, since I stop to heal my units).

Konquest,

Give 'em hell!

Catt,

I think you might be right in your observations. Considering the start position (ok, not great), attaining UP (yeah, I think I've got it) has been easier than I thought it would be.

-Arrian

Old April 8, 2003, 00:02   #218
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 16:06
Arrian, how big is your military right now?
Old April 8, 2003, 01:25   #219
minke19104
Warlord

I won 1776 by Diplomatic Victory..

Once I gobbled Germany Zulus Babs and Vikings, the remaining civs got much too powerful for my likings.. I decided to trade with them instead. No major wars just trading techs and resources. 100 gold bribes also work wonder every time AI's attitude dropped below Polite.

In the end a total of 7 civ voted for me and America voted for itself for UN general. I realized when u get big enough more cities and lands dont necessarily mean better empire. I decided to play differently than my previous huge games, which were basically conquest games.

It was good fun playing this map, definitely took a long time. Cant wait to read more posts..
Old April 8, 2003, 09:21   #220
Arrian
Deity

Nathan,

I can check when I get home, but I figure I've got roughly 50-60 Cavalry + 5 knights (3 of which are in an army) + 10 cannon + 8 galleons (saving up for overseas actions)... the problem is I have almost no concept of how many pikemen/musketmen I have. Call it (very) roughly 135 units.

EDIT: I checked - I had 170 units.

Less than I'm allowed under Monarchy. My military costs me nothing. Still, as soon as I take down Japan, we're goin' Demo.

-Arrian

Last edited by Arrian; April 8, 2003 at 22:27.
Old April 8, 2003, 22:25   #221
Arrian
Deity

Slowly, steadily, winning the race...
Another update from the front:

Japan - dead.
Scandanavia - no more.
England - ceased to be (I didn't do it, I swear!)

Screenie
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au207 1525ad.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	42008  

Old April 8, 2003, 22:39   #222
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Why so many muskets?
Old April 8, 2003, 22:42   #223
BigDork
Prince

I agree with nbarclay. you worried about an invasion?

Old April 9, 2003, 06:33   #224
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 23:06
Peace In Our Time

At the start of this episode of the glorious French empire, we discover printing press, and as previously advertised, trade it for invention (plus a bit of gold) from the Americans. Invention and printing press are then traded to the Mongols (whom all the leading civs are at war with) in return for chivalry, 2 workers and 27 gold. Japan is willing to give up 28 gpt and 110 gold for printing press. Since both theology and invention have been floating around with the AI for some time, I assume that both education and gunpowder will be researched soon, so we start stockpiling cash (after noting that we could research education in 12 turns, so we won't beat the AI to it).

Next turn the Americans confirm my plan by getting gunpowder, but we're certainly not going to buy it off them just yet (520 AD)

In 560 AD, the French empire climbs to 2nd in the 'Land Area' rankings, and Japan and the Mongols also get Gunpowder (although not buy trading it with America). All of the leading civs chose gunpowder over education, possibly influenced by being at war. By 610 AD we have stockpiled enough cash to buy gunpowder, which we eventually get from the Mongols for 1531 gold and 6 gpt. The Americans were offering it for a slightly cheaper price (being a commercial civ), but the Americans, Japanese and Germans are now gaining ground in the war against the Mongols. We want to even things up, and stop America running away from everyone else in the research race, so we decide to give the money to the Mongols. The good news we get is that we have two sources of saltpetre, one of which is already on the road nework.

Ten turns after we could have started researching education as 12 turn pace, we finally start researching it ourselves, since no-one else seems to have got it yet. The very backwards Zulu declare war on the Japanese for no apparent reason, probably triggering golden ages for both of them. The Mongols presumably have had a keshik-trigger GA by now. The Americans already have chemistry...

630 AD, the Mongols build Sun-Tzu's. We have three wonder builds going on, getting near completion on the Sistine Chapel. One city is working on Leonardo's, the other on a palace prebuild. We finish the Sistine a few turns later, and our first suicide galley in the south catches sight of a purple border in the ocean before sinking. Another galley is quickly prepared, and in 720 AD succesfully complete the crossing to Scandanavia, who are horrifically backwards. Selling contacts gives 274 gold and 14 gold per turn, for contact with an entirely irrelevant civ.
Old April 9, 2003, 06:48   #225
vulture
King

Return of the Blitzkrieg

By 730 AD the Mongols have used their gunpowder windfall to buy off the Japanese and Americans for peace, and evidently upgraded a whole pile of horsemen to keshiks, and start to make progress against the Germans, who are a few techs off the pace. When I notice that they have reversed their previous losses and taken a few German cities, I decide it is time to implement my plan to take control of German spices, and take advantage of the fact that the German offensive force must have been entirely destroyed by now. The initial war aim is at the least to take the three southern cities (in the picture) which gives us spices and a defensible area protected by lakes. A strike force of 8 knights and 4 medieval infantry is assembled, not very much, but all I can spare from guarding the Zulu border and the southern rapid defense group.

As the war starts, we are the first to discover education, despite a 10 turn delay in starting the research. The AI are ignoring it as though it were George Bush in a French restaurant. We trade to America for chemistry, 44 gold and 17 gpt, and then to Japan as well, since the Japanese have the Great Library and will get it anyway. We get 23 gold per turn that the Japanese really didn't need to spend.

Stuttgart falls quickly to the French assault, and the second group pushes past quickly into the hills between the next two towns. Next turn, America has metallurgy. They are at peace at the moment, and have a choice of researching music theory, banking, astronomy or military tradition. It later transpires that they went for military tradition, the first time I've ever seen an AI civ beeline for that tech upon entering the middle ages. Japan annoys me by completing Leonardo's while I have 8 turns left, and I waste 280 shield convertin to a university. On the bright side, we still have the palace prebuild for Bach's, and the wonder cascade is now broken.

On the war front, we lose a knight to a longbow counterattack, nut eventually take Nuremburg after some hard fighting and heavy losses, and a stack of medieval infantry capture Brandenburg. War aims complete, Hurrah!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	germanplan.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	42041  
Old April 9, 2003, 06:51   #226
vulture
King

Pushing on...

770 AD Our generals meet to re-evaluate the war situation. The Mongols have captured another three German towns, including Berlin. It is obvious that Germany is on the way out. We decide to make a push for the other southern German towns before the Mongols get them, which means taking Dortmund. The idea is to capture Dortmund before the Mongols can get there, and then trade for Heidelburg as part of a peace deal with Bismark.

While the infantry and knights start the push over the hills to Dortmund, one knight unit is sent around roads to the north, and blocks the one road joining (what is now) Mongol territory to Dortmund. This forces the Keshik force to detour and waste time, and as a result we are able to take Dortmund. A peace deal then indeed gives us Heidelburg (renamed Heidelberg instantly), and also 2 of the last 4 German towns in the central part of the continent. We don't actually want these, but don't want the Mongols to capture them, so we take them and give one to the Zulu and one to the Japanese (we like lots of equally matched AI opponents, fighting amongst themselves). Japan and the Zulu take this opportunity to make peace with each other, leaving the Mongol-German war as the only ongoing concern. It ends pretty soon as the Germans get entirely wiped out.

We take advtange of the Mongol's razing of a German city (come to think of it, it might have been Berlin) to found a French city there, giving us a fairly good defensible border next to the Mongols. Nuremburg has a temple and courthouse rushed, and starts on the Forbidden Palace, producing 5 shields per turn. Although I'd like to build the FP further away, I don't anticipate much more expansion, and it will still help production a great deal to get it built.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	germanwarpeace.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	42042  
Old April 9, 2003, 06:53   #227
vulture
King

And once more, peace...

At the end of the war we finish researching Music Theory, and switch the palace pre-build over to Bach's. Since we have such a headstart, I don't mind selling MT to America and Japan for lots of money. Shortly after this the Mongols get metallurgy - but having already traded MT I can't afford to trade it for metallurgy to them. Then they demand MT! Since I've seen how many Keshiks they have in the area, I have no defenses organised and the tech is essentially worthless for them, I cave in once again. The Mongols, Americans and Zulu are all polite towards me, which has to be a first in my experience.

890 AD we get banking. Both the Mongols and Americans have metallurgy, and the Americans have had it for so long without researching anything else that I can see, I assume they have military tradition by now. So I trade banking to the Mongols for metallurgy, see that the Americans do indeed have MT, and trade MT for banking with them.

In 900 AD a most curious event occurs. One of our fishermen comes home with a tale of having met a magical talking shark, which tells him that a tribe called the 'Celts' have been destroyed, the shark being certain of this having eaten the body of the leader when it was thrown into the sea. It was unable to tell the fisherman who had destroyed them.

We consider this information to be very reliable.

To tidy things up we decide to take out the two remaining Babylonian towns. This is done pretty easily, and take up the chance to bypass bowmen and spearmen in the field to take both cities, at which point they disappear.

Three civs down. We are going to be the first to the democracy cash cow, and probably will get our golden age under democracy. Our continent has a tech lead over the other continent, judging by the fact that we are getting all the wonders. We have a good chance of getting Adam Smiths, in my opinion, for which we have a prebuild going. Our priority now is getting cathedrals in large towns, and getting strong defense along the Mongol border to protect the Forbidden Palace, and our territory.

Now, since I am off work sick today, it's time to get back to the fray...
Old April 9, 2003, 07:59   #228
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Rise of the Egyptian despotism
Been playing steadily on, but can't spend the time to finish the game faster.

Anyway, here comes the first chapter. I'm playing emperor level, Egyptians. (I'll try to post some screenshots, first time, using MS Paint)

We found our city immediately and head for a temple first. We build it in 3600 BC. Chopping trees fastens this process. As there is no sign of danger yet, we decide to leave the city undefended and start building a granary, that we finish in 2950 BC. 3 warriors are built immediately after, to guard our city and to explore the nearby surroundings.

Then we start REX-ing. Memphis arises in 2390BC, Heliopolis 1950 BC, Elephantine 1550 BC, Alexandria 1425 BC, Pi-Ramesses 1300 BC, Giza 975 BC, Byblos 900 BC, El Amarna 875 BC, Hierancoplois 650 BC.
Most cities immediately start building temple, then barracks and at least 1 spearman, as I'm planning my continuing warrior build up to upgrade to swordsmen later on, and the spearmen to defend my cities.

I'm not researching myself, as we've spotted a weaker Bab civ in the south, which I'm denying 'Lebensraum' expansion. Meanwhile I'm the richest civ of civs on my continent as gold gets in pretty well.

550 BC Japan suddenly declares war on me, as my proud empire didn't want to give them the small 70 golds they demanded.

Although they were still far away, separated by the Zulu, and I had no reason whatsoever to fear them, I upgraded 32 warriors. Their goal was to claim what was rightfully ours: TECHS!!! As Abydos, Asyut and Avaris were the newest found cities, I declared war on the Babylon empire ...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	swordsattackbabylonmod.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	42043  
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old April 9, 2003, 08:11   #229
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Poor image, I realise, hope to be able to get them better in time.

Nevertheless, as you could have imagined, the Babs were not a real foe for the swords of Egypt. My goal were thechs, not to wipe them out straight away. As you can't get all their techs in one time (that is succeeding techs), we went to peace in 270 BC. I extorted Alphabet, The Wheel , 198 gold and maps.

We were eager for more off course ...

Luckily the Americans asked me to join a military alliance against the Babs in 190 BC and offered me 245 gold! Our swords were happy to exploit their superiority once more. It resulted in our first great leader around 150 BC:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ramses.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	42045  
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old April 9, 2003, 08:24   #230
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

And another great screenshot

As I founded Lisht and Buto, I reduced the Bab emipre to one city in the northwest of my capital, grabbing all their other former belongings. Peace was made in 70 BC and I got writing, maths, horseback riding, MONARCHY , 15 g and 6 gpt. Babylon became my vasal ...

We became a monarchy soon after, what would you have imagined otherwise?

All of a sudden in 50 BC the Japanese and Zulus allianced against me. We bought Literature from the Americans, rushed the Great Library and sent our swordsmen to the Zulu frontier. Meanwhile Pithom, Kahun and Busiris were founded. 210 AD Japan made peace - not a single fight between ourselves - and my swordsmen made beef out of the Zulu archers.

Around 320 AD my swordsmen began feeling the relative defensive strenght of the Zulu Impi's and peace was made. We got their maps, 15 gpt and Ibabanago from them.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	swordsattackzulu.jpq.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	42046  
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old April 9, 2003, 08:28   #231
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

end of first Zulu war

(meanwhile I was building up war chariots, to later upgrade them, but sparing them from battle as I wanted a later golden age)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	end1stwarzulu.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	42047  
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old April 9, 2003, 08:42   #232
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

The supreme rise of Egyptian monarchy
The Zulu had kind of lost their head when in 550 AD they refused to move away a single Impi that was still on my territory. They declared war, but begged for peace in 590 AD already, as they noticed that I was upgrading some war chariots to knights and sending them to the new Zulu frontier.

Meanwhile my capitol was trying to build Leonardo's but I got beaten by 8 turns before finishing. Contact was established with all other civs on the other continent, which took a lead in techs and wonders: Sistine Chapel and Sun Tzu's.

Furious about this waste, I decided someone had to pay. Who else than those damn Zulus? The third and final (?) war started at 790 AD and ended in 920 AD. I had captured ALL BUT ONE CITY THAT I CAN'T RELOCATE ANYWHERE ON THE MAP !!!!! (how's this possible???)
The Piramids were ours.

Our army now was 26 knights, 31 war chariots and 33 spearmen. We had established embassies with all nations, were first in civ rankings, but behind in techs.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	knightsattackzulu.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	42048  
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old April 9, 2003, 09:14   #233
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
Why so many muskets?
I admit I'm probably overly cautious with defensive units.

Each coastal city has 1 musket.
Each city on the NW border of Zululand has 2.
There is a line of muskets (5 or 6 of 'em) blocking the mountains along the southern Zulu border.
I have a couple spares so if I want to go invade somebody I can bring some "d" along.

-Arrian

Old April 9, 2003, 11:51   #234
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

I admit I'm probably overly cautious with defensive units.

-Arrian
Me being somebody who seems to forget defensive units entirly, your musket numbers sound like heavan. Better too many, if the other option is suddenly realizing that if you want to fortify your newly conquered cities you'll have to do the 'defensive shuffle.'

The AARs are fun guys. I gave up my game shortly after my post, when I experienced a twelve minute turn.
Old April 9, 2003, 21:21   #235
nbarclay
Emperor

Fortify conquered cities? What's that?
Old April 10, 2003, 09:49   #236
Arrian
Deity

I played maybe 5 more turns last night (5 turns takes me like 45 minutes... not really because of the AI's turns, but because of the sheer size of my empire).

My RR net is coming along nicely thanks in part to Repaceable Parts, I nailed ToE & Hoover (leader used... hmm... need more) and am now working on Sanitation while trying to decide whether or not I'm willing to trade for Nationalism (I want Communism for the Police Stations).

I also need to pick a new target. I've decided to allow the Zulu to live. Taking them out would gain me nothing except perhaps slightly better security (but really, their Knights vs. my Infantry? Please). Therefore, I'm looking at the weak Ottomans or perhaps the Indians. The Ottomans are still Medieval, IIRC, and lack saltpeter. I could throw together ~30 Cavalry with some infantry & artillery support with relative ease. So why not, right?

-Arrian

Old April 10, 2003, 13:27   #237
BigDork
Prince

Hi everybody...

Well I just couldn't stay away from Civ3 forever. badams, I just don't know how you do it. After catching up on the 7 pages of this thread I've missed I couldn't help myself, I started up 207 again.

Well I decided to give Carthage a try this time. I've never been the mighty empire led by Mr. Hannibal before. At first I was gonna be the French but several others are using the frogs and since they have the same traits I figured why not.

Not a whole lot happened in the BC's. I completely shut down Babylon by popping their settler early with warriors and then waging a pretty effective war with only those warriors. I knew I couldn't take Babylon its self but I pillaged what I could and was basically a large pain in the butt. In the peace I got their only other city which was on the very tip of the continent.

Other than that I was pretty much in build mode. I built south blocking the Babs from expanding much. I managed to snag the spices in the jungles south of Germany. I blocked up both choke points and put a city in the middle of the Germany one so I would have a canal of sorts to the big lake.

I also built up a pretty good military. Lots of Numedians. It is pretty much a defensive army but I didn't want to be pushed around too much because I looked weak.

Old April 10, 2003, 13:55   #238
BigDork
Prince

Near the end of the BCs things started to get interesting. I had managed to grab the Great Library early on. Unfortunatly that's the only wonder I've managed to get the whole game. I've been beaten to two or three others. That just gets very frustrating after a while.

Anyways I wasn't paying attention too much and didn't really notice the Mongol galley that came cruising on down towards my territory. Next thing I know there's two warriors standing next to my undefended GL city. D'oh!!! Well I rushed some units over but they weren't gonna make it in time. Sure enough, on their next turn they declare war and take my city. All I had in the area were my Numidians and I really didn't want to trigger my GA while still a despot but I wanted my city back. More importantly, I wanted the GL back. I hadn't done any research since I had gotten it and was enjoying a rather large bank account.

Well I decide that getting my city back was much more important and trigger my GA. After a few turns the Mongols convince Tokugawa that it would be a good idea to help in their war against the Cathaginians and that they would split my country in half with one of them ruling in Dorkville(Carthage renamed). Well I was upset to say the least that they would hate me so for no reason. I had done nothing to upset them, they were just greedy. I sent messangers to all the other leaders with the exception of Babylon, I was secretly hoping they would join against me so I would have an excuse to crush them. Soon, Bismark, Abey Baby, and Shaka Khan where all joined with my in World War 1.

All the reports from the front line was that it was a bloody conflict with the Americans having to fight on two fronts. Once my twenty turn obligations were up I informed my dear allies that I was bowing out of the war. However the Axis powers(mongols, japanese) enlisted Babylon in there war against the Zulu and Germans. For some reason they left me out. Must have wanted all my lands for themselves. Well Hammurabi kept trying to send his troops through my territory to fight against my friend Shaka. I don't understand why he was trying however. Even if I allowed his troops through they wouldn't have been able to get through the choke point. I dunno.

I sent messages to Temujin and Tokugawa asking them for peace on even terms. This war was an awful thing and I wanted to see it end. My friends the Americans where taking serious losses and were down to 3 cities. All the while the Mongols and Japanese grew stronger. They agreed to the terms and Carthage was again allowed to grow and prosper peacefully.

Old April 10, 2003, 14:40   #239
BigDork
Prince

But peace as always was not to last. The Babylonian army continued to march through my territory attempting to engage the Zulu. They were not causing any damage to the countryside and were not threatening my cities or killing my population but they were on my land! It had to stop.

Everytime I would complain to Hammurabi about his troops entering my land he would apologize and remove them only to commit the same act the next turn. I had had enough. I gave him one last chance, pay me all that is in your treasury or suffer the consequences. He had the nerve to laugh at me! And so we warred.

It was a short war. Swordsmen and horsemen against bowmen and spearmen. With the bowmen having the ability to bombard as I attacked my losses were heavier than expected. But I managed to destroy most of their army on the first turn. Foolishly I decided to lay siege to Babylon's only other city. Over the next two turns I managed to lose all my swordsmen and had the few horsies that did not retreat. In the end I was forced to retreat back to a border city and heal my forces. There with my army in disarray, bloodied, and reduced in numbers I decided that this war needed to come to an end. Fortunatly Hammurabi agreed and we had peace.

And the peace lasted for over 1000 years. Well, peace for all of Carthage lasted for over 1000 years. In that time the Mongols grew in strenght over the dead bodies of the Americans. The Japanese too grew in strength, waging a war against the Zulu with the help of Otto and his forces. At one point Otto came to me asking if I wished to join in the looting of the cities of Zululand. But Shaka is a friend and so I declined. And secretly I aided him. The Zulu had landed a settler on my side of the chokepoint at one point long ago and so I used a RoP to protect if from harm. Now the Zulu are almost nothing. Only a few cities left. But for now they are tying up forces that could be marching on me instead.

On day Hannibal got an idea. He saw a mighty army of knights leaving Dorkville and marching through Ninevah and into the heart of Babylon. Soon afterwards the scholars who worked day and night in the Great Library learned the secrets of Chivalry. Now the great Hannibal's idea came true. All the horsemen of were summoned to Dorkville where they went through training and re-equipping. Soon an army of knights left for a war in the south.

The bowmen and spearmen where no match for my armored warriors. Medievil infantry marched over the mountains headed straight at Babylon while my knights attacked Ninevah. Hammurabi decided to attack my infantry in the mountains and suffered awful losses while my knights captured the city and marched for Babylon. My stack of infantry, mostly unharmed also made their way to the walls of the city. It was pretty much over before it started. Babylon was only defended by one spearman. Hammurabi was dragged from his palace and brought back with the victorious army to Dorkville. There he was thrown into the dungeon where he will stay until 2050AD when the world will mysteriously end.

That's about where I am right now. It's after 1100AD now. I'm a few turns away from cavalry. I was gonna go after the Zulu but seeing as how they are not a threat I am thinking of hitting the Japanese. The big problem with that is the massive SoD I saw while they were taking out the Zulu. I'm talking over 20 units. I've never seen anything like that this early in the game.

The Mongols and the Japanese are just massive. The Germans are powerful too. Luckily I've been focusing on defensive units and have been re-enforcing my chokepoints. My dream would be to get the Mongols and the Japanese to fight one another. Maybe I should declare war on Temujin and give Tokugawa whatever he wants to join in. But I'm afraid of one of them getting way to powerful. I think I have the tech lead on my continent. Can't say about the other though. Almost all the research has been on the bottom branch of the tech tree. I started my own research towards MT hoping that the AI would go the other route but it didn't happen. I'll have to go back and do it myself I guess. Well, I've spent too much time here and the game is calling for me to come and play it again. Guess I'll let you know more later. See ya...

BigD

Old April 10, 2003, 14:49   #240
Arrian
Deity

Mongols vs. Japan is a war I did manage to set up in my game, BD, and neither made much progress, so it may have had its desired effect - to hurt them both. The Japanese, IMO, have slightly better traits & unit, but the Mongols had slightly better land & this particular map made their unit more effective.

I never did witness much of the Japanese vs. Mongol slugfest, if it ever really occurred, because if it did, it happened in America and I was busy invading Mongolia.

What I DO know is that you have to be careful about creating a monster in either one of them. They both have very nice land, and medieval UUs. I found that killing them was a costly thing. I really, really, really wish CivIII had a casualty screen like CivII did.

My suggestion would probably be to hit Germany with Zulu or American assistance.

-Arrian