View Poll Results: Pass this resolution?
Yea 25 92.59%
Nay 1 3.70%
Abstain 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19, 2003, 22:54   #1
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Senate Bill: Final Relations Boosting Act
WHEREAS the Senate is resolved to acheiving the full international support for our bid for UN Presidency, and the Senate realizes the immeasurable good will that is generated by a Right of Passage agreement (-5 relations improvement)...

The Senate hereby gives authority for the FAM to sign Right of Passage agreements with India, Zululand, China, Rome, Iriquois, and Babylon on the turn of the UN votes.

This poll will be open for 72 hours.

Author's Notes:

Yes, this was extremely controvercial last time it was proposed but given the fact that our lead in the power rankings cuts our "charity" benefits in half EXCEPT for RoP agreements, RoP agreements offer the best possible reputation improvement available to us, according to BamSpeedy's research.

The nations listed are either the Lost Civs or are south of our cavalry line, and could not intrude into Apolyton territory to use the RoP.

Furthermore, this would be done RIGHT before the vote, at a time when we would be allied with these nations in our war on Japan. They would not have a turn to use our railways.

--Togas

(edit: changed the word "prior" to the word "of" as noted in italics. There were no votes at the time of this change.)
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Last edited by Togas; March 19, 2003 at 23:04.
Old March 19, 2003, 23:36   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 16:08
Im a bit confused about one issue.

I thought UN votes occur automatically at the beginning of a turn. Would this not give the AI from the time we hit end turn to the time out next turn came up to use the railways? Perhaps I am wrong and UN votes occur before AI actions?

Either way, I approve. Just curious.

edit: Well, ill approve at work tomorrow where I can actually vote

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 19, 2003, 23:53   #3
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I'm not sure, actually. I just assumed that we do all of our actions for a turn, choose to do the UN vote, have it, win game.

Can someone who's won this way recently enlighten us to the nitty-gritty details?

Also, the RoPs are still with nations that have no access to us ... nations off continent or below the cavalry line.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old March 19, 2003, 23:55   #4
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:08
Yes, it would, but since these civs are either overseas or blocked by our Cavalry wall in the south, it shouldn't matter for just one turn. Unless a southern civ actually attacks our cavalry, which I doubt would happen.
Old March 20, 2003, 09:01   #5
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

On some turn, we will 'spend' Na'rmer to build the UN Great Wonder. We do all of our RoP's then before that turn is ended.

During the ensuing other Civ's turn(s), the nations with RoP's (all with no ungarded land access to our railways) could concievably land units on our railways but will exhaust their move when they disembark. We would want to overdefend our coastal cities with several defensive units just incase anybody has marines. I don't think they do and even if they do they won't have many because marines are not on any upgrade path.

At the end of the EoT cycle we will see a dialog asking if we want to hold the UN vote.

Since we plan to exercise that option, there will be no risk whatsoever to RoP's with the listed Civs.

If a Southern Civ attacks our Cavalry, their RoP is immediately extinguished and can no longer use our railway. They may knock off a lot of cavalry units on the border but will not be able to do serious damage.

The risk with RoP's is the AI using the RoP railway access to position large forces for attack of several cities THEN Attacking. It simply is not possible in one turn in the current situation. The AI's could position a 2 turn RoP betrayal by landing units on the coast, then on the second turn positioning THEN attacking.

But the second turn would occur after the UN vote and end of game.

Vote Yea
Old March 20, 2003, 10:08   #6
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage
On some turn, we will 'spend' Na'rmer to build the UN Great Wonder. We do all of our RoP's then before that turn is ended.

During the ensuing other Civ's turn(s), the nations with RoP's (all with no ungarded land access to our railways) could concievably land units on our railways but will exhaust their move when they disembark. We would want to overdefend our coastal cities with several defensive units just incase anybody has marines. I don't think they do and even if they do they won't have many because marines are not on any upgrade path.

At the end of the EoT cycle we will see a dialog asking if we want to hold the UN vote.

Since we plan to exercise that option, there will be no risk whatsoever to RoP's with the listed Civs.

If a Southern Civ attacks our Cavalry, their RoP is immediately extinguished and can no longer use our railway. They may knock off a lot of cavalry units on the border but will not be able to do serious damage.

The risk with RoP's is the AI using the RoP railway access to position large forces for attack of several cities THEN Attacking. It simply is not possible in one turn in the current situation. The AI's could position a 2 turn RoP betrayal by landing units on the coast, then on the second turn positioning THEN attacking.

But the second turn would occur after the UN vote and end of game.

Vote Yea
Perhaps I am wrong here again, but I thought the sequence would have to be this:

Spend Na'rmer on UN. NEXT TURN we get the dialog that the UN is BUILT. WE THEN make the RoP's, not the same turn we 'spend' Narmer. The Ai acts, then the Vote is held.

I thought we had to hold the UN for the whole of the first turn before a vote would be held? But, Im not all that worried about having the RoP inacted a turn early just in case Im wrong either.

(I swear I have destroyed the thing the same turn it was built before to prevent a vote I most certainly would have lost)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 20, 2003, 13:38   #7
lmtoops
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

We spend the Great Leader on Turn 1, and the city indicates 1 shied is needed to complete.

On Turn 2 the UN is built and on the same turn a vote is requested.

I don't think we have time to grant ROP on Turn 2. I just won a game with the UN last night, but I can't remember how the last two turns unfolded.

I would play it safe and enact ROP on Turn 1.

I guess I'll just have to replay my great victory to satisfy my curiosity.
Old March 20, 2003, 14:40   #8
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

The vote of the UN occurs immediately after the un is built. It occurs after all your builds are announced.
Aggie
Old March 21, 2003, 14:43   #9
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Turn 0 - Rush UN, Sign ROP before EoT

AI Moves

Turn 1 - Builds, UN built, E O Begining of Turn, Vote, win..

No risk, if we win.

I often build the UN and hold votes. many times a win or draw. Never a loss...

Vote Yea...
Mss
Old March 21, 2003, 14:59   #10
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Yay.