Old March 20, 2003, 04:28   #1
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I just got gang-tackled
So here's what happened....

The world is set up in a way where every landmass is connected by interlocking land bridges.

So anyway, i set up with no natural resources next to me, Deidre is down south of me, Zak is toward my left and Morgan a little past Dee.

My scouts encounter a MASSIVE Believer force and I finally get in contact with Miriam. First diplomatic message she sends me is to tell me I have to give her 100 credits or else. Now, this all has happened within 10~15 realtime minutes. Eventually vendetta breaks out and after 2 real days of playing, I finally beat Miriam but she escapes in a pod. Well, during the Believer/Hive war, I encounter Lal while runnning a Police State. He IMMEDIATELY declares vendetta against me. I switch my economics to 'Planned' to help me out with my population's slow growth. Lal sends a landing party against me and suddenly Dee declares vendetta on me. I have five bases with less than 5 and I have 2 factions in my territory with at least double-digit enemy units in my territory.

Well, I couldn't mass produce enough units in time and lost the game. This is my FIRST loss and I'm pretty pissed. Has anyone here lost a game, or am I the only sad-sack?

"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old March 20, 2003, 04:47   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 22:08
I got bum-rushed my Miriam with lasers once before I could get even the worst armour. That sucked. And I lost a trancend race to Morgan one time. That sucked more. I learnt from that to stockpile crawlers and ECs for rushing it. That's about it. I tend to quit "loosing" situations a bit too often.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 20, 2003, 06:10   #3
MariOne
King

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I lost in the first year it was out, and in more than one occasion, when I playtested the rover-rush tactic with the Spartans.
Even 4-5 of them were not enough for me to reliably overcome a Believer base (but not even a Uni or PK one!) defended with a couple synth garrisons, and in the meanwhile I always ended up to be underdefended against a couterstrike, and desperately underdeveloped and underproductive with respect to the other factions, leaving the tech lag alone.

Many players claim(ed) that the game-balance is almost broken because this is almost a wargame in which a rover-rush is a too easy way to win...
To me, that famed tactic is broken.
Either I suck militarly (which is anyway true to some extent), or there was something wrong with those claims...
Old March 20, 2003, 08:24   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 19:08
I used to lose back in the days when I played as a pure builder, paying no attention to the military side of things. Miriam and Yang taught me bitter lessons.
Old March 20, 2003, 11:02   #5
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:08
I once played a OCC game but got planetbusted by the Usurpers. Boom! and game away.
Old March 20, 2003, 11:44   #6
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 23:08
Damn that Lal and his precious UN
I don't think i've lost a game yet but i have quit a few mainly because they became so tedious, i've been playing as a different faction and managing drones and fighting 4 factions doing same thing for 50 turns while i waited for choppers just
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old March 20, 2003, 17:09   #7
Xian
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
I used to lose back in the days when I played as a pure builder, paying no attention to the military side of things. Miriam and Yang taught me bitter lessons.
Excactly me as well
Old March 21, 2003, 03:39   #8
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 18:08
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
I once sent my one Scout Patrol out of my landing base to open a Unity Pod adjacent, which turned out to be infested with worms. They ignored the patrol and swarmed over the base. Game Over, M.Y. 2102. I can't quote here what I said then
Old March 21, 2003, 05:29   #9
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:08
thanks everyone. At least now I know that some people have had it as bad (maybe even worse) than myself.

"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old March 21, 2003, 12:32   #10
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 16:08
I lost in the early days but once I got to transcend I have lost only once to the AI -- I lose all the time in PBEMs but thats another story.

I lost playing as Miriam with tech stag and double-blind research. I got stuck on a pretty crappy island and made what turned out to be a HUGE strategic error in missing out on the Weather paradigm. By the time I realized how small and crappy my lands were and started researching towards getting boats . . . I was way behind. and nobody ever visited me for something like 70 years

I never got off my lands as the Spartans terraformed a a land bridge and hit me with overwhelming force.

I replayed the game, this time making sure to get the WP at all costs. With that I was able to terraform my way to nearby lands, meet other folks early and make a few tech trades before going on to win
Old March 23, 2003, 22:23   #11
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 16:08
I just lost to a game to the AI.

I was doing well as Morgan, good starting position alone on a moderately sized island, great specials, and nearing successful completion on Merchant Exchange and WP.

I pop a pod and get an earthquake.

Who shows up the next turn asking for a loan? Yang.

Who sneak attacks the following turn? Yang.

Competely wiped out by a swarm of 2-2-1 infantry.
Old March 23, 2003, 23:47   #12
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 08:08
Just recently I got steamrolled by the Gaians. Serves me right for playing as the University. I'm only decent as Morgans or Gaians. Anyway, they captured all my bases except the capital, and then called off the war and went to cordial relations. Weird. I kept playing, though. Technically I hadn't been eliminated, so I was gonna try and rebuild from one city. In the end, Deirdre won by transcendence. It was funny (and refreshing) to not end the game with a management monster of fifty bases plus.
Old March 24, 2003, 17:21   #13
Kaptain Ken
Warlord

Nice thing about this game, you have fun even when not winning Usually takes some bad luck to lose however. We would all probably lose more often if we never restarted or did the unmentionable (reload)