Old March 20, 2003, 16:10   #1
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Insert France joke here
As I said in my other thread, in my latest game (Transcend) something strange happened.

I (the Gaians) had just secured Yang's submission, having taken 15 or so of his 20ish bases. I then turned my attention to Miriam, who had been sniping at my frontier and ocean bases. After a relatively mild assault on her mainland, taking 5 bases in 2 turns, she waved the white flag, still holding about 2/3 to 3/4 of her mainland, plus 10-15 sea bases. She wasn't even that far behind in tech, militarily speaking; I had shard, she had tachyon, which meant she actually had a functional advantage over me. Moreover, I didn't even have the HSA to prevent her probing her bases back, let alone catching up in other techs.

Anyone else experience such a rapid surrender under similar circumstances?
Old March 20, 2003, 23:44   #2
Rubin
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer

Local Time: 00:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I've seen Miriam surrender quite often - more than the other factions.

Once I encountered a somewhat similar situation. I had a very small lead in the graphs and was pounding Yang (he just nuked my biggest army - - - foolishly waiting in a single base...). Miriam was far away from everything, but had a pretty big empire.

I suddenly stumbled onto some of her troops while making a land bridge. Oh my!!! Well, she introduced herself and to my surprise just surrendered??!?!? No demands or anything!

I'd call that a rapid surrender!
Old March 21, 2003, 00:53   #3
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 23:11
Here is a lousy one.....

Heard about the frog who wanted to try a french kiss?
-He was eaten by the girl.

Old March 21, 2003, 08:18   #4
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 16:11
Re: Insert France joke here
Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer

Anyone else experience such a rapid surrender under similar circumstances?
I notice this sort of surrender quite often. They harass you for 100 turns, but as soon as you bring the battle to them they crumble.

Is it just me or do the militaristic factions seem to surrender faster than the pacifists?
Old March 21, 2003, 08:54   #5
VJ
King

Local Time: 22:11
It's a new situation to the militiary goons when someone has bigger militiary than you, so they panic?
Old March 21, 2003, 13:40   #6
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:11
I've never seen something like this before, to be honest... a new one on me. But, I have had a similar experience to Rubin.

Once, I was the University, starting to ramp up that power graph, when suddenly, for no good reason, Morgan--half a world away and only 5 bases big--declared Vendetta. Not really concerned about it, I did nothing, and in a couple turns the sunspots hit. Over those 20 turns, I did nothing to Morgan, and he was too impotent to do anything to me. After comms were reestablished, he surrendered immediately.

Easily the most painless war I've ever won.
Old March 21, 2003, 16:03   #7
Xian
Warlord

Local Time: 22:11
also, the military factions are more likely to respond to threats, where as the pacifist factions dont

???
Old March 21, 2003, 16:17   #8
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 16:11
As far as the military factions surrendering quickly, perhaps it's more related to my style of play than anything going on the the other factions.

I tend to play builder as long as I can, and where I am not directly threatened, I tend to let any development the AI is doing proceed without check.

From my experience, the military factions build a larger proportion of units to infrastructure, so once you start chopping into their army, they drop farther on the power graphs than a faction with relatively developed bases.

For example, when attacking a faction that is relatively close to me on the power graph, I find that Santiago, having a large army but usually under-devloped bases, surrenders much faster than say the Gaians when a war breaks out.

Of course, this is speculation on my part, based on how I play the game.
Old March 23, 2003, 22:04   #9
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:11
Just this past game I had a relative quick surrender...

I was playing against Lal on an island with the Uranium Flats and Garland Crater. I started off by building a smackload of colony pods and expanded my territory by a quite a bit. Well, as I started making scouts to uncover the fog-of-war, I encounter Lal's speeder. For NO reason he declares Vendetta against me (I wasn't even running police state yet. :confused)

Well, I had about 7 'functioning' bases that could pop out units in 2~3 turns. I made a massive Hive invasion force and started taking over his bases. I took over 2 and surrounded UNHQ when he submits. When he gave me his map, turns out he had 8 more bases and an army that was larger than my own.

Muwahahaha, submit to Chairman Yang, Pravin Lal!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old April 2, 2003, 15:37   #10
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 17:11
Morgan surrenders most easily. Miriam is very erratic --she'll either surrender right away or when she has one base left (and sometimes not even then!).

The AI will usually not surrender if they have a surviving AI ally. They will fight to the death if they have a pactmate.