Old March 21, 2003, 03:46   #1
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 17:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You guys ever played Axis & Allies?
It's a great board game, and the PC version is pretty fun too - takes a lot less time to set up

Wanted to see if anyone had some good game memories to share, like the 5 hour game I had. I was playing as the USSR, and had the terrible combination of a novice UK ally and a fairly decent Japanese opponent. I actually managed to stay in the game and even had the Japanese on the defensive - mainly as a result of very good dice rolls - but eventually I was defeated.
Old March 21, 2003, 04:20   #2
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Have you tried the Iron Blitz edition?
It includes Marine units, Minor surface ships and a few other changes/upgrades.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3842
Old March 21, 2003, 07:40   #3
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 16:13
On the boardgame:

5 hours sounds about average to me. When I was in the army, a good friend of mine would want to play this game every night, and I mean *EVERY NIGHT*.

He had the oversized map, all the add-on pieces like U-boats, and the extended rules that start the game in like 1932(?). If you think the game is long and drawn out when played with just the original rules, try playing with *ALL* the optionals sometime.

I think A&A is probably one of the greatest boardgames ever made, but I got so burned out on it I've never wanted to play it again. My personal preferences lie with more open-ended games like Supremacy, which unfortunately has been out of print for some time now.
Old March 21, 2003, 08:56   #4
VJ
King

Local Time: 22:13
Quote:
You guys ever played Axis & Allies?
Yes.

Quote:
Wanted to see if anyone had some good game memories to share
No.

I always lost. :|
Old March 21, 2003, 12:41   #5
Verto
King

Quote:
a good friend of mine would want to play this game every night, and I mean *EVERY NIGHT*.

Every night? I wouldn't be able to handle the 10-15 minute setup, let alone the 5 hour games. I thought I was a fan, that guy sounds like a fanatic!

I'll look into that link for IB. I've looked for it, but the only places I've been able to find it to buy are online, and they want 20 bucks or so.
Old March 21, 2003, 13:44   #6
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

What's this about extended rules?

5 hours is the longest game you've ever had? Me and a few friends did a 10 hour marathon one night last spring. IIRC, the axis evetually gave up when we had it down to japan on a few small islands and germany controlling germany and western europe. (By giving up I mean knocking the board over in disgust)
Old March 21, 2003, 13:48   #7
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:13
I played the board game years ago, and picked up the computer game about 2 years ago. It is quite fun, but even post-patch is plagued by bugs, crashes and some game-stopping glitches (stuck aircraft).

I looked for the Iron Blitz edition, which supposedly is more stable, but it is out of print.
Old March 21, 2003, 14:21   #8
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
There have been several expansions released by other companies, altough I can't remember which the exact ones we played with. New rules, new units, new techs, that sort of thing.

http://www.wargamer.com/axisandallie...ions_main.html
Old March 21, 2003, 14:55   #9
Verto
King

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

5 hours is the longest game you've ever had? Me and a few friends did a 10 hour marathon one night last spring. IIRC, the axis evetually gave up when we had it down to japan on a few small islands and germany controlling germany and western europe. (By giving up I mean knocking the board over in disgust)

There are several variations people play w/ the board game, and from what I hear these are included in Iron Blitz. I've played a 1940 version, where USSR & USA are restricted from joining the war until they are attacked, and things of this nature. Not sure if that is what it meant by 'extended rules'.

Yes, 5 hours is the longest game. This is due to the fact that my brother-in-law has a bad habit of dominating the board as Japan.

My fellow players lack the stamina and dedication shown by you, and aren't able to stay for 10 hours. Quitters!

We've only had one incident where a player knocked the board over (also playing as Germany) when he was close to being defeated. Needless to say, he was reprimanded. Severely.
Old March 21, 2003, 14:56   #10
Verto
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Static23

There have been several expansions released by other companies, altough I can't remember which the exact ones we played with. New rules, new units, new techs, that sort of thing.

http://www.wargamer.com/axisandallie...ions_main.html

Those look pretty cool, never knew there were so many.
Old March 21, 2003, 15:25   #11
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Japan is really easy to play as when the game starts, because you basically get to run roughshod over the Pacific without much resistance. Russia is too busy fending off (or, as is more often, being crushed by) Germany, the Brits in Australia don't have much, and the Americans can't get their fleet/troops into a position to be much trouble initially.

That's why Allied players should actually concentrate forces on Japan early and save the concentrated attack on Germany for a little later. Actually, if all sides make the right moves, the Axis is virtually assured of losing.
Old March 21, 2003, 15:32   #12
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto

Those look pretty cool, never knew there were so many.
Also, game shops used to sell diecast expansion units in packs similar a la Warhammer pieces. I would assume these are still available in hard-core wargaming shops.
Old March 21, 2003, 15:38   #13
Verto
King

Not too many of those around where I live, least as far as I know.
Old March 21, 2003, 15:59   #14
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
Not too many of those around where I live, least as far as I know.
Perhaps I should say "gaming shops with a section dedicated to wargaming". Probably any gaming shop can special order them, as well. Surely they must have catalogs to cater to special customers.

I spent most of my Army time at Fort Hood(TX), and I know I saw Axis and Allies expansion stuff in Killeen and Austin. Possibly Waco, as well.

Perhaps if you're ever down that way, you can check some of these places out if they're still open. It's been about 6-7 years, and I can't remember any of their names.
Old March 21, 2003, 16:14   #15
Verto
King

I'm sure there are some around, probably quite a few, I just don't know about them.
Old March 22, 2003, 06:50   #16
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 18:13
I've played it online quite a lot, and face to face a couple times with some friends. It was fun. But I am tired of such dice dependent games. I mean, some chance is fine, but 1D6?!
Old March 22, 2003, 07:21   #17
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
I've played it online quite a lot, and face to face a couple times with some friends. It was fun. But I am tired of such dice dependent games. I mean, some chance is fine, but 1D6?!
I still quite enjoy games that use dice. You know the risk, you take your chance. They aren't like those games that try to find some phony work-around to randomness.
Old March 22, 2003, 14:34   #18
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Everytime we played Axis and allies, we ended up in a fist fight.

Soviet Union ALWAYS died. But it contributed alot before its collapse. Our Win ratio of Axis was about 50 - 50, that is if we managed to finsih the game before someone threw the board out the window.
Old March 22, 2003, 16:50   #19
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
Everytime we played Axis and allies, we ended up in a fist fight.

Soviet Union ALWAYS died. But it contributed alot before its collapse. Our Win ratio of Axis was about 50 - 50, that is if we managed to finsih the game before someone threw the board out the window.

Yes, of all boardgames, A&A is most likely to result in some kind of violent confrontation from my experience.

You really have to watch the Soviet Union player, especially if you started drinking beer around turn 1. The SU realizes that he has no chance and that he's drunk at almost the exact same moment.
Old March 23, 2003, 05:39   #20
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

still my all time fav board game. Takes sooo long to set up though . I was getting fairly fast for a while though.

but if you have decent allied players winning with the axis is so difficult.
Old March 23, 2003, 06:15   #21
VJ
King

Quote:
You really have to watch the Soviet Union player, especially if you started drinking beer around turn 1. The SU realizes that he has no chance and that he's drunk at almost the exact same moment.
Old March 23, 2003, 07:04   #22
ottok
Prince

I not play... but i play Silicon Commanders game Winwar3:sta. Some times... there at some what happens usuaylly (i play all itselft.)
Germans left air units to France (bombimb and strike)...
and attack some ships... so warII is begind...
And some times Gemans can attack/capture Franc to first turn...
Some turns later allies and azis waiting "allies"
and then begind at war at africa. It is end with halved Brittish/french and italians.And same time japan try attack aasia.Usa first only try stop theys ships/air units...
Russians try stop defensilly at all begin but after 10 or 11 turns aasia is russians and north africa also,and scandinaavia... allies have franch and are ready attack/capture italy/german. Usa is ready capture japan... and some turns later there is only "allies"...
Some times i look whoos at win all... What surpise...
World is halved Usa And Russians...
maybe 99% ends... but it is some end where are 3 empires... (3. is Brittain)
Old March 23, 2003, 07:25   #23
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

ditto
Old March 24, 2003, 00:54   #24
Space05us
King

Local Time: 10:13
I love A&A the board game. the computer game sucks, theres no one to taunt or plan with. People is what makes it such a great game, there are so many different things that can happen. Where as the computer is predictable.

How can you lose as the Soviet Union!?!?
Im always stuck with the good ole Commies and I always end up marching through Berlin. Maybe you guys just play with bumps on logs for allied players. Ive played the other countries a couple of times, but I like playing as Russia.
Old March 24, 2003, 00:58   #25
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us

How can you lose as the Soviet Union!?!?
Im always stuck with the good ole Commies and I always end up marching through Berlin. Maybe you guys just play with bumps on logs for allied players. Ive played the other countries a couple of times, but I like playing as Russia.
A skilled German player can usually march through Russia in a heartbeat, or at least knock out all their production centers.
Old March 24, 2003, 04:00   #26
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

no way.

If Russia does nothing but build infantry and you have decent U.S. and U.K. players it is nearly impossible to lose you capitol. They will lose their other production center- Karelia I think it is called.

But usually they are just barely hanging on when the U.S. or U.K. takes western Europe or Finland.
Old March 24, 2003, 05:00   #27
ottok
Prince

German-French (Germans Win)
German-Brittain (Germans Bombing England)
italy-French ( Germans allie italy)
italy-north africa (Some things?)
Japan-Chines (japan capture places chine)
German-Russian (first is germans but... lost)
Japan-Usa (end is shock)
Brittain-German(north africa)
These "wars" at begin at WWII...
Oh forgot i some?
Old March 24, 2003, 05:11   #28
Static Universe
Prince

ottok:

What about USA-German?
Old March 24, 2003, 16:11   #29
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
no way.

If Russia does nothing but build infantry and you have decent U.S. and U.K. players it is nearly impossible to lose you capitol. They will lose their other production center- Karelia I think it is called.

But usually they are just barely hanging on when the U.S. or U.K. takes western Europe or Finland.
Yes way. Russia is at an instant and large disadvantage because it has to face a huge early German onslaught as well as Japan on the east, which in the board game actually attacks Russia. It also has the least IPCs, and there ain't no lend-lease! In nearly every game I have played, Russia has gotten knocked out early on, and that's with all levels of people playing Russia.

Maybe you just haven't had very skilled people opposing you as the Axis.
Old March 24, 2003, 22:22   #30
Space05us
King

Local Time: 10:13
or maybe we're gooder than you