Old March 21, 2003, 21:02   #61
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 14:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I went to the protest. it was great fun. First we blocked off 9th and Market, then 10th and Market, then Van Ness and Market. There were no polices. We stole a cone and turned it into a megaphone. a pro war man stood ontop of his mini van with a sign that said 'support your troops. go war.' the anarchists in the crowd (they covered their faces and moved in crowds) ripped the sign from the guys hands and ripped it up on the street

Then we took the underground to Market and Montogomery. There was a lot of police there and they had everything under control. the people were massing on the sidewalks, the fire department was cutting through the people locked together with the metal tubes. We ditched the cone and stole a bucket and made a drum. we watched as they turned public transit buses into arrested people's transportation buses. the police also used them to get around. the police all had riot gear, teargas guns, and batons.
a lot of the time at montgomery we spent insulting the cops (get your donuts here. get your bags of steak fajitas here. do you know why the pigs look so unhappy? its because they are wearing those hot bullet proof vests and those hot helmets and they eat too much)

nothing much was happening so we headed off of market and then back onto it, around the police blockade. this was 4th and market now. the intersection was also closed. on the south side of the intersection, the police had formed a line and they were starting to push the crowd back. a group of 30 police officers parted through the crowd were we were on the north side. we follwed right behind them beating the drum until they went into their 'attack formation' then we skipped around the block and got onto the other side.

we were about 3 feet from the cops as they steadily advanced and pushed us back to the next intersection. again, we were insulting them. this one girl got beat with a baton because she got too close to the advancing line. when we got to 5th and market, the police had blocked off three of the four streets. so the whole crowd headed off of market and walked toward the federal building, city hall, or around the police blockade and back onto market.

we got separted at that point. we got back onto market street. the police were in the north, and suddenly while we were walking towards the protestors, the police started running towards us and cut off the protestors from the south on market street. the first officer who was cutting us off was a short latina. she ran into me and hit me with her baton. i fell into my friend, and we both hit the ground. we were the last to cross the line into that protest group. we kept on walking forward looking for our friends, but they werent there. with police in both the north and south, they let us escape through a narrow corridor.

we then went to mel's drive in on Van Ness and Geary. the friends who got separted called us and started to come to the diner. while we were eating, the protest passed up going north on Van Ness. We saw a lot of our friends go by. after finishing eating, and reunited with my friends, we walked north on Van Ness. We passed the gas station on Pine and Van Ness which had like 150 police all standing around. When we got to California Street, we saw the protestors at the top of the hill, on taylor street. We could also watch their progress by where all the helicopters were located (There were like five) we then walked and caught up with the tail end of them at Mason Street. There is a steep hill going downwards which leads into the Financial District and you could see thousands of people walking. it was a great sight.
we the joined the main crowd when the march tunred onto market. we met two more groups of friends at the sit down.

we then got a report that the federal building needed some help, so we went there. there were about 50 protestors at the time and about 10 cops. hundreds of people converged on the same place at the same time. at first the cops tried to keep us back on the sidewalks, but we pushed them back until their backs were against the wall. we left right before they were about to break it up.

on the way home, i found one of those steel pipes that the protestors used to chain their hands together. it had been sawed off by the SFFD and was lying on the side of the street. i took it home.
i learned later that three of my friends had been arrested and then released.

it was my first protest and it was really fun.
Old March 21, 2003, 21:03   #62
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 18:13
Quote:
Meaning only rich people will be allowed to have a voice.
This shouldn't hurt the anti-war movement. Most protestors are spoiled college students...
Old March 21, 2003, 21:07   #63
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

and most war supporters are spoiled college students who prefer that the minorities of america go risk themselves for the country, while they stay at home a reap the benefits.
Old March 21, 2003, 21:13   #64
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
most war supporters are spoiled college students
Now that's not true. You must try harder...
Old March 21, 2003, 21:17   #65
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Julian Fantino, the Toronto police chief, is proposing some draconian regulations in order to control protests. The civil libertarians are already up in arms about it. I don't know the details of the plan though. One thing I heard was a group would have to pay some sort of bond in order to be cleared for a protest. Meaning only rich people will be allowed to have a voice.
I'm talking about the ordinary cops who have been really good so far. I hope they won't spoil it tomorrow. Fantino is a nut. He will get himself into trouble if he starts attacking the anti-war protestors anyway. Too many of them are respectable and middle class.
Old March 21, 2003, 21:18   #66
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

just cuz you ignore it, doesnt make it go away.
Old March 21, 2003, 21:25   #67
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

Hardly - we got an overwhelmingly positive response from motorists here in TO. You know - honking, smiling, waving, etc.
If you paid attention to my first post I was referring to Mexican protests involving domestic issues. They are simply terrible.

On the other hand our anti-war protests are much more decent, lots of people outside the Embassy...but not blocking traffic or holding up our most important streets.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 21, 2003, 21:27   #68
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
and most war supporters are spoiled college students who prefer that the minorities of america go risk themselves for the country, while they stay at home a reap the benefits.
Nah - most war supporters are "Stupid White Guys".

You know the people I mean - usually 25+ with a bit of education but profound political ignorance. Considers himself an "individual" and whines about minorities all the time (who have cheated him out of being a success).

Looks like a loser and is hopeless with women as well - which explains why he loves the chickenhawk stance so much - I mean what could be more manly than talking with feigned competence about "fire zones" and having a hard on for a war you won't personally fight.

I don't know about you, but I find it obnoxious when weedish little dorks start getting militaristic - definitely a sign of major sexual problems. Maybe they should just get laid...
Old March 21, 2003, 21:29   #69
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
See Lawrence? That's how you troll. It has to have some truth to it...
Old March 21, 2003, 21:29   #70
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

If you paid attention to my first post I was referring to Mexican protests involving domestic issues. They are simply terrible.

On the other hand our anti-war protests are much more decent, lots of people outside the Embassy...but not blocking traffic or holding up our most important streets.
Sorry.

I don't object to people blocking traffic - but only on special occasions. On the other hand given the way I feel today I think I'd cheer if the anarchists torched the US consulate tomorrow.
Old March 21, 2003, 21:30   #71
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

except im not trying to troll.
Old March 21, 2003, 21:31   #72
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
See Lawrence? That's how you troll. It has to have some truth to it...
Amply proved in this case.
Old March 21, 2003, 21:32   #73
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
except im not trying to troll.
So you're just completely ignorant? Ok, sorry for jumping on you...
Old March 21, 2003, 21:33   #74
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 17:13
Quote:
I went to the protest. it was great fun. First we blocked off 9th and Market, then 10th and Market, then Van Ness and Market. There were no polices. We stole a cone and turned it into a megaphone. a pro war man stood ontop of his mini van with a sign that said 'support your troops. go war.' the anarchists in the crowd (they covered their faces and moved in crowds) ripped the sign from the guys hands and ripped it up on the street
Freedom of speech doesn't apply to the anti-xxxxx movements alone.
Old March 21, 2003, 22:19   #75
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

[quote] So you're just completely ignorant? Ok, sorry for jumping on you... [/quote[

what is that I hear? a personal attack? uh oh. everyone run for cover. except wait, thats what they are doing in baghdad right now.
do you happen to be a college student who is against the war because it wont affect you but you will profit from it?
i'll bet you are.
because you just don;t give a crap as long as you arnt on the line.
keep it up, maybe you can contribute to the end of the united states.
Old March 21, 2003, 22:21   #76
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Old March 21, 2003, 22:23   #77
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 15:13
Quote:
Quote:
Meaning only rich people will be allowed to have a voice.
This shouldn't hurt the anti-war movement. Most protestors are spoiled college students...
His proposals don't only apply to the anti-war movement. He wants to have them in place for all forms of protest in the future as well, and include it in the criminal code with a minumum one year jail time for offenders. He doesn't stand a chance with it though, that's a blatant violation of our free speech rights.
Old March 21, 2003, 22:25   #78
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
His proposals don't only apply to the anti-war movement. He wants to have them in place for all forms of protest in the future as well, and include it in the criminal code with a minumum one year jail time for offenders. He doesn't stand a chance with it though, that's a blatant violation of our free speech rights.
I agree, it is bullshit. You might have to move to the States if you want to keep your free speech rights...
Old March 21, 2003, 22:28   #79
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 22:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

I don't know what the police are like there, but the Toronto police seem to have learned lessons from past debacles. We had an unannounced protest in which we blocked traffic, held a "die in" at the busiest intersection in town, and marched down the main streets. Not only did the police not attack the protestors, they directed traffic to minimize disruption, helped people in need, defused conflict and made it clear to the protestors where the line was drawn. It was not crossed. All in all an excellent piece of crowd management done on the fly.

I'm not saying that the TO police are always great, but they deserved a gold star yesterday.

I've talked to a few cops at past demos here and all the ones I have talked to are anti war as well.
I was there for the last half hour of it. From Dundas square [if i remember the name correctly] to where they dispersed the march... and a little bit beyond that. It went very well, but I didn't interpret the honking from the cars as supportive. That is a good way of looking at it, though.

Do you know when the next Toronto protest is? I was told it was tommorow at 1:00 infront of the US embassy. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to that one, though.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 21, 2003, 22:28   #80
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

I agree, it is bullshit. You might have to move to the States if you want to keep your free speech rights...
Now that's funny.
Old March 21, 2003, 22:29   #81
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

no dont move here until bush and ashcroft are gone. they are taking away the rights here as well.
Old March 22, 2003, 01:21   #82
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Like I said, he doesn't stand a chance. It's just another stupid idea that he has a knack of spouting off. He used to be the police chief here in my city and he'd always come up with some ridiculous proposal or comment. I think he's a borderline fascist myself.
Old March 22, 2003, 01:44   #83
Drake Tungsten
Deity

They're covering the protestors on ABC right now. What a bunch of morons...
Old March 22, 2003, 03:27   #84
sprucemoose3311
Chieftain

The official site for protesting the protesters:
www.brain-terminal.com

its very well done
Old March 22, 2003, 03:39   #85
DarthVeda
Emperor

Old March 22, 2003, 03:50   #86
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
the anarchists in the crowd (they covered their faces and moved in crowds) ripped the sign from the guys hands and ripped it up on the street
What ever happened to freedom of speech for all sides?

Quote:
it was my first protest and it was really fun.
Sums it up, doesn't it?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 22, 2003, 03:54   #87
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
Some people would riot, regardless of the cause.

Depite me being a fervent war supporter, I do think that the greatest majority of protesters are good people.
many people protest anything, just for the sake of protesting. Its funny when you see the counter-culture types (teens or 20 somethns with green mohawks, multiple piercings, etc) shouting "1 2 3 4 we dont want your oil war" and holding up War is evil signs *sigh* the ignorance...
Old March 22, 2003, 04:07   #88
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I have come to some conclusions. I am sure to offend people.

I believe anti-war protestors are selfish *******s who only care about themselves and their own circle of friends and family. They have no regards whatsoever for other people.

These same people should have been protesting the conditions in Iraq for the past 15 years. Why haven't they? Do they not care that we are helping Iraqis? And that by going to war with Iraq we are actually saving civilian lives. Do they not care about the Iraqis cheering in the towns we have taken. No, they only care about them and getting media attention.

I have come to the conclusion that war protestors are attention whores. They can care less about other people throughout the world. They only want attention. What's even worse is they are not emotional and mentally mature. When they were cuffed in San Francisco they were thrashing their bodies about like little toddlers. They were essentually throwing a temper tantrum. They made complete asses of themselvs. I used to respect anti-war protestors, but no more. I realize them for the idiots they are. They are nothing more than petty anarchists and attention whores.

I also think that a fair number them are equivalent to forum trolls. I have determined this by the stupid statements they have made. They seem to hate america no matter what good we do. They say that america deserved the 9/11 attacks and that our attacks on hirsoshima and nagasaki are the reason the WTC was attacked. To them every nation in the world is always right, and the U.S. is always wrong. And then this stupid broad said why don't we invade Tibet then? She doesn't realize that would start the third world war, and we'd get our asses kicked. We also don't invade North Korea because we'd get our asses kicked. We would have got our asses kicked in Africa as well, because we do have not support bases out there. We can only help were we are able unfortunately. We are not strong enough as a nation to be able to help every country in the world. We only help were we can, and Iraq is one of those.

And then the blood for oil argument. We didn't know for sure if we'd get that oil. If we wanted it we could have taken it in 1991. And we still faced the possibility he would blow up all the oil fields. There was a good chance we would get no oil. So you cannot say this is blood for oil. We have been lucky so far most of the wells are undamaged or lightly damaged. And lastly, it is not our oil. The oil belongs to the Iraqi people.

I know I have said in the past that liberals are trolls (that thread was deleted). I am wrong about that. I realize that many liberals are for this war. So I apoligize for that. Phil Hendrie said he was a liberal tonight, but he supports the war. So I am wrong about liberals. But I do realize that war protestors are trolls.

So what's the best thing to do to trolls? Ignore them.

So I am now ignoring all protestors. I wish the media would do so also. I can gurantee you that if there were no media coverage, there would be no protestors. You ever notice how the protests have escalated with the advent of television/movie cameras and such?

So I am no longer protesting the protesters. I am ignoring them as the trolls they are.

Last edited by Dis; March 22, 2003 at 04:56.
Old March 22, 2003, 04:32   #89
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if you ignore them. The media are the ones who need to ignore them, but they still take the protestors seriously for some reason...
Old March 22, 2003, 04:36   #90
Kramerman
Prince

again, i think the protests are just fine, only if they ever get out of hand, call in the phalanx of riot police.... see if some of them will ever insight anarchy again... and by 'insight anarchy' i mean walk ...