Old March 23, 2003, 05:17   #121
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 15:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
what exactly was the U.N. doing about iraq 1 year ago before Bush started pushing them?

That's right. Nothing.

Oh I forgot. Sanctions. The same sanctions the anti-war protestors were against.
Old March 23, 2003, 05:17   #122
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
What really gets me is these people think they are brave. it is not brave to protest in a nation with free speech. To do this in Iraq would be brave .

Mis Novias
Old March 23, 2003, 05:36   #123
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 16:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai

The US lobbied other UN members to pull out of Rwanda. What happened there was as much the fault of the US, if not more, than the UN.

The UN was doing something about Iraq, but the US just wanted an invasion.
ah yes, the uber decisive UN, taking 12 years to accomplish NOTHING in Iraq... but those war mongering americans just got in the way...
Old March 23, 2003, 05:56   #124
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:14

You people are *****ing about the "cowardly" protestors when all y'all are doing is sitting in front of your computers. This is rich.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old March 23, 2003, 06:02   #125
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

some of us were in the military...

granted I was in the safe armed service . But others here have served in the army.

Face it, you anti-war people are cowards. You fear terrorist attacks, and thusly fear attacking another nation preemptively.
Old March 23, 2003, 06:11   #126
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
some of us were in the military...
You clearly aren't right now. You're sitting on your ass right now.

Quote:
Face it, you anti-war people are cowards. You fear terrorist attacks, and thusly fear attacking another nation preemptively.
You probably ought to return that mind-reader machine you bought, 'cuz it's not working.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old March 23, 2003, 06:14   #127
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 18:14
Quote:
You're sitting on your ass right now.
So are you...
Old March 23, 2003, 06:15   #128
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm not calling anyone a coward.
-Bokonon
Old March 23, 2003, 06:17   #129
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

you just called me a coward because I'm sitting on my ass in front of a computer.
Old March 23, 2003, 06:17   #130
Drake Tungsten
Deity

How does sitting in front of a computer at night make you ineligible to call people cowards? Diss could've been out all day killing Iraqis with his bare hands for all you know...

It seems like the comments have hit a nerve with you. You should never let em know that they've gotten to you...
Old March 23, 2003, 06:23   #131
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
How does sitting in front of a computer at night make you ineligible to call people cowards? Diss could've been out all day killing Iraqis with his bare hands for all you know...

It seems like the comments have hit a nerve with you. You should never let em know that they've gotten to you...

i love that "" smilie
Old March 23, 2003, 06:23   #132
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo

You people are *****ing about the "cowardly" protestors when all y'all are doing is sitting in front of your computers. This is rich.

.001/10
Old March 23, 2003, 06:32   #133
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
you just called me a coward because I'm sitting on my ass in front of a computer.
I did? Where? I'm just pointing the inconsistency.

Quote:
Yes, right. Because Apolyton after all is where everyone goes to after completing a risky military operation.

[quote]It seems like the comments have hit a nerve with you. You should never let em know that they've gotten to you..[quote]

Damn, you found me out. :
-Bokonon
Old March 23, 2003, 06:34   #134
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

anyways back to the original point.

Explain to me how protestors are so brave for what they are doing. It's easy to be brave when you have 100,000 people backing you up.

I would feel different if there was only 1 person against the war and he protested in front of everyone who was for it. Now that would be brave.

I happen to think that the the pro-war people who stand up to the anti-war protestors are more brave, because they are in the minority.
Old March 23, 2003, 06:35   #135
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Because Apolyton after all is where everyone goes to after completing a risky military operation.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that MtG does a little special ops on the side...
Old March 23, 2003, 06:43   #136
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Explain to me how protestors are so brave for what they are doing. It's easy to be brave when you have 100,000 people backing you up.
They aren't necessarily brave. And there aren't too many protests that net 100,000 people.

Quote:
I happen to think that the the pro-war people who stand up to the anti-war protestors are more brave, because they are in the minority.
Last I checked, pro-war people made up ~76% of the population.
-Bokonon
Old March 23, 2003, 07:10   #137
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yes but those lazy rednecks don't rally and show their support .

most people in the streets with signs are anti-war.
Old March 23, 2003, 09:31   #138
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I would like to dispel a myht about anti-war protests. I was yesterday at Paris' rally, with 100,000 protestors, and I have seen some things very oppsite to the pro-war beliefs. I have also seen things very true with those.

Myth #1 : only spoiled youth is in pro-peace rallies.
Left wing politcial parties were a big part of the rally, and their population isn't all youth. In the communist party, to which I belong, there were many middle-aged workers, office employees or retired people. There were young people as well, but not as nearly as "oldbies". In less old parties, there were sure youth, but middle-aged and old people were still present, and maybe a majority. Only the 'hip' parties and groups were clearly young.
However, When I distributed tracts in front of highschool, many highschoolers seemed to be prone to go demonstrate because it's fun. The tidbit I love most (a girl arguing with a pro-war mate) : "We have to go to prove the youth won't accept oppression like this"
In short, there is some spoiled youth in the rallies, but it is completely wrong to say they are the only ones, or even the most in numbers.

Myth #2 : Anti-war people are just anti-Bush
There is a strong correlation indeed. The word "Bush" and "Blair" have been very, very much shouted in the protest. However, the very cause protesters don't like Bush or Blair is because of the war (Bush can be hated for other reasons, but Blair definitely because of his involvement in the war), and these people incarnate the war.
In Europe, there was quite an anti-Bush feeling after Kyoto (I know his Senate is different than him, but I learned it on this forum), but I have seen anti-blairism extremely rarely. The chanting against Bush and Blair in these protests came solely from the war.
There is a much stronger anti-war feeling than an anti-Bush feeling though, at least in the part of the Demo where I was. Kosovo-war old "war is such stupidity" signs (poor translation), phrases such as "Solidarity with all people on Earth" or "Bush, Blair, Stop the war", have shown a real concern against the war, rather than hatemongering against Bush or Blair.
In short, yes Bush and Blair get hated, but it comes from their involvement in the war.

Myth #3 : protesters just hate America
There was very little hate towards the US in the 2 protests I went to. However, it would be a lie if I told you it was completely absent. There have been some very marginal actions, but they did exist. The windows of a McDonald's have been broken by anarchists thursday (the police only attacked those anarchists, since the rest of the protest didn't support them). We could see fliers calling for a boycott of American products, and even fliers calling for an intifada from Baghdad to Paris. However, no American flag has been burnt.
In short : yes, antiamericanism is present to some extent. It is however very marginal.

Myth #4 : protesters do not attack Saddam
As much as I hate to admit it, it is true. I haven't heard any single phrase referring to Saddam. It has been even more awkward when I hears paroles like "Bush assasino, Blair assasino, Aznar assasino" etc., but which didn't attack Saddam (despite attacking Chirac ) This group was marginal (never heard the name before), but its public was entirely youth, which is worrying.
Worse, I have seen a loonie with a sign saying : "Kofi Annan, quit ! Iraq has been free for centuries". The sheer stupidity of the content made me think he is a loonie, but it is worrying people think like that at all. I haven't seen or heard any Saddam apologist though.
It is sad, because it gives the opposition to Saddam only to the pro-war side.
Old March 23, 2003, 09:48   #139
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 22:14
Quote:
what exactly was the U.N. doing about iraq 1 year ago before Bush started pushing them?

That's right. Nothing.

Oh I forgot. Sanctions. The same sanctions the anti-war protestors were against.
Don't expect much consistancy here. They want us all to sit around in a circle and sing "We are the world.." If that doesn't work then we can all just "visualize world peace." Yea! that will probably work...
Old March 23, 2003, 09:51   #140
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:

It's pretty dangerous in these days to be pro-war.
The anti-war fundamentalists are ready to put you in the "most evil group of human beings" after you said one word in support of Bush.
Old March 23, 2003, 11:08   #141
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 23:14
anti war demo in oslo saturday. funny how anti war demos always turn violent

started out peacefully

then it got ugly

****ing ****ers think they're in gaza or something

the police retaliates

and they all lived happily ever after
Old March 23, 2003, 11:14   #142
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Last I checked, pro-war people made up ~76% of the population.
Yeah right, 76% of the world is pro-war, that's a stretch. Why then are most of the members of your coalition afraid to show their faces? Here in Canada, it's more like 76% opposed. But then I guess we don't count when it comes to international decisions, we're just America's serfs.
Old March 23, 2003, 11:16   #143
August Borms
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
anti war demo in oslo saturday. funny how anti war demos always turn violent
Looks similar to anti-war protests in Belgium.
Do the anti-war protestors in your country praise the Islamic Jihad and Hezbollah and shout slogans that all jews should be gassed too, like here in Belgium?
Old March 23, 2003, 11:23   #144
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Nothing like that has happened in Toronto. All the protestors act civilized, and the riot cops hide themselves from view in ominous white transport trucks parked all along the roads.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 23, 2003, 11:25   #145
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Why do a few stones bother them so much, anyways? They've got shields, armour, and all that crap. They probably don't even notice them.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 23, 2003, 11:29   #146
Gangerolf
Prince

Quote:
Do the anti-war protestors in your country praise the Islamic Jihad and Hezbollah and shout slogans that all jews should be gassed too, like here in Belgium?
Luckily no, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them did that.
Old March 23, 2003, 11:37   #147
Gangerolf
Prince

Quote:
Nothing like that has happened in Toronto. All the protestors act civilized, and the riot cops hide themselves from view in ominous white transport trucks parked all along the roads.
what happened was that the protestors were heading for the american embassy. when the police blocked the street, some "bad seeds" started to throw stones at them and all hell broke lose
Old March 23, 2003, 11:56   #148
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
I'm dissappointed no one has found a problem with my flag.

anyone know what this means?

Usually a upside down flag means 'in need of assistance' ie SOS.

Apologies if someone else has answered your question, but after reading a page of the repetitive puerile comments I gave up.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old March 23, 2003, 12:12   #149
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf

what happened was that the protestors were heading for the american embassy. when the police blocked the street, some "bad seeds" started to throw stones at them and all hell broke lose
Why'd they stop them from going to the ebmassy? Sounds like a combination of poor organization on the protester's part, and an aggresive show of force on the cop's part.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 23, 2003, 13:45   #150
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
nice try, but that was MArch 15th, not 20th.
The real difference being what?