Old March 21, 2003, 06:27   #1
Usually Insane
King

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
loads of questions
how do I know when the UP meetings occur, can I forward my own suggestions, can meetings occur before all races are discovered?

what are trade goods? are they the ones that you trade with freighters?
how do you know which trde goods you have?

how do you know if a trade route goes trought a sector? do influence starbases work in other sectors or only the ones they reside in? can you take over another planet with only a starbase with influence or do you need to have a planet of your own in that sector?
Old March 21, 2003, 10:15   #2
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I have a question of my own about victory conditions. One of the things I like about Civ is the ability to play on even when you have won the game, even if every other civ has been eliminated. Is this possible in GalCiv, or is it over the moment you achieve victory?

I ask this because I think it would be cool to conquer the galaxy, and then through being a nasty ruler inspire a civil war a la Star Wars...
Old March 22, 2003, 20:04   #3
Romanus
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:14
Boris has just asked THE question......at least the one I always ask. I really despise restrictions in games, which is why I steer clear of games with scripted campaigns/missions/scenarios. I almost always play beyond the victory or end date in Civ3 and CTP2. Another reason why I hang on to Imperium Galactica2.
Romanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2003, 20:22   #4
PriestOfDiscord
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
I ask this because I think it would be cool to conquer the galaxy, and then through being a nasty ruler inspire a civil war a la Star Wars...
In other games I would say this is a waste of time, but considering all the choices a ruler can make in GalCiv to be an oppressive despot I would like this. With events to have massive revolts among the captured/oppressed population playing as an Emperor Palpatine would be fun.
Old March 31, 2003, 06:12   #5
Usually Insane
King

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: loads of questions
Quote:
Originally posted by Usually Insane
how do I know when the UP meetings occur, can I forward my own suggestions, can meetings occur before all races are discovered?
this is still nagging me
Old March 31, 2003, 17:26   #6
BlueDEvil
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:14
So far, all my UP meetings occur after all the races have been contacted. Events leading to UP meetings looks like a random event, not in your control.

Trade goods are usually a kind of wonder, only one per galaxy. After building it, you can trade it to other races in the diplomatic screen.

You have to manually trace the path of your freighter to find out. On the trade screen, you have a display on all your trade routes. Since it is a minimap, it is not so accurate. It usually take the shortest route with exceptions to it. If that part of the galaxy is not open, it will avoid it. Also depends on the range of your ships. It may take a route with your starbase in between. But I find they usually take route through your own sectors first.

Basically, starbase is the best for taking over other planets. Some of the modules affect more than 1 sector. Usually, it also affect adjacent sectors in terms of cultural and other influences. No colony in the sector is needed.
BlueDEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2003, 18:52   #7
PriestOfDiscord
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueDEvil
So far, all my UP meetings occur after all the races have been contacted. Events leading to UP meetings looks like a random event, not in your control.
In the admittedly few games I've played so far, I was able to get a UP vote with only two of the main empires contacted. It wasn't that the others were dead, just that I had yet to find them. I don't think the other two AI knew where they were either.
Old April 3, 2003, 17:08   #8
Eric S
Warlord

Local Time: 14:14
It's probably not that the other ones haven't contacted you, it's more likely that they haven't researched diplomacy yet.
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 17:47   #9
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:14
Well, my question was answered--you can't play beyond a victory.

I hope SD changes this, because I loved building up a civilization in Civ and keeping it going into the future, well beyond the limits of the game. I remember a Civ I game I had going until over 2400 AD!
Old April 3, 2003, 17:50   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
I hope SD changes this, because I loved building up a civilization in Civ and keeping it going into the future, well beyond the limits of the game. I remember a Civ I game I had going until over 2400 AD!
I agree it can be useful to play out long enough to see all the tech and what it can do. I did that with my early civIII games and the last Moo3 game.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 20:16   #11
BlueDEvil
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:14
If that is the case, you should be allowed to choose your victory condition. Much more fun this way, than to find your game suddenly ends in some unwanted way.
BlueDEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2003, 04:09   #12
unic
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:14
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueDEvil
If that is the case, you should be allowed to choose your victory condition. Much more fun this way, than to find your game suddenly ends in some unwanted way.
And you can. On the start-up screen, when customizing your civilization, their are buttons to turn off 'Culture Victory', 'Technology Victory' and 'Alliance Victory' - the only one you can't get rid off is the military (conquest) path of victory.

/unic
unic is offline   Reply With Quote