Local Date: November 2, 2010
The pun wasn't even intended
Old March 21, 2003, 15:32   #62
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Fools put meaning in a flag, both those who worship it and those who burn it.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 21, 2003, 15:32   #63
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 22:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
The pun wasn't even intended
This thread is pretty much DEAD

Old March 21, 2003, 15:39   #64
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 17:15
You betcha, Che.
I even have more admiration for wimp flag burners, than fence-straddlers.

T. You come to Dallas, I'll do the same thing to you, that I did to your cat.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	t'scat.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	40262  
Old March 21, 2003, 15:41   #65
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
T. You come to Dallas, I'll do the same thing to you, that I did to your cat.
My cat is a persian white cat Hail, MY CAT:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 3.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	40264  
Old March 21, 2003, 15:42   #66
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Burning the flag of an evil regime can be a beautiful expression of the human spirit, IMO. Tass has been spot-on.
Old March 21, 2003, 15:46   #67
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

My cat is a persian white cat Hail, MY CAT:
Originally, yeah. Maybe it was a white Persian.
Poor thing is rather haggard now though.
Old March 21, 2003, 15:48   #68
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand

Originally, yeah. Maybe it was a white Persian.
Poor thing is rather haggard now though.
Old March 21, 2003, 15:58   #69
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Lovely troll(s) , but leave my flag out of it!

Old March 21, 2003, 15:59   #70
Verto
King

Did I get carried away there?

Must be in hyper-patriotic mode.
Old March 21, 2003, 15:59   #71
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
Did I get carried away there?

Must be in hyper-patriotic mode.
No. You need more images to be hyper-patriotic And some propaganda, like "Russia SUXORS AMERICA ROX HAHAHAH!!!!"

Old March 21, 2003, 16:00   #72
Ned
King

Local Time: 14:15
Re: Re: Re: Re: Flag waving.......Flag burning
Quote:
Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous

You silly little man. We who protest this war take freedom and liberty the most seriously. Yes, we think Saddam should go and yes, we think he is a monster who should get his comeupance. However, what we feel is unjustified is this war because Bush was determined to go it alone and dictate his doctrine to the rest of the world. If Britain hadn't sided with us and Powell hadn't been a voice of reason, the UN Security Council would never have been regarded. There was a complete lack of compassion for world opinion, which IS tyranny. Sure, you could say that no one in the past ever got permission to do what they did, but I thought that we were slightly better than that. The U.S. is not much better than the Roman Empire - rights dispensed on OUR terms. However, since we feel this way, you feel it necessary to deem us evil...I'm sorry but I don't see how evil fits into that, how someone who decides not to agree with a simple man in a big white house can be evil.
We tried to get the UN to be serious about disarmament but were thwarted by France and her allies. I was among those who hoped we could disarm Saddam through the UN. However, that failed.

The US, the UK and their allies are now implementing UNSC 1441.

As to world opinion: clearly it favored UN resolution of the Iraq problem. Does the world opinion know, however, that the UN was thwarted by France?

But the people here on Apolyton are relatively fairly well informed. They know what happened at the UN and STILL they support Saddam and oppose the US and her allies. This is reprehensible.
Old March 21, 2003, 16:02   #73
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
Lovely troll(s) , but leave my flag out of it!

Old March 21, 2003, 16:14   #74
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
Quote:
Seems that you are still having difficulty seperating yourself from your flag or government.

(Even if what you say is probably true)
I replied to his comment of the flag-burning protestors actually trying to communicate with me.
Old March 21, 2003, 16:19   #75
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 00:15
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Burning the flag of an evil regime can be a beautiful expression of the human spirit, IMO.
I´d rather say it is an expression of the fact that those people should get laid more often....
Old March 21, 2003, 16:38   #76
Az
Emperor

I think that a general "have too much free time on their hands, no wonder they're unemployed" would be more diplomatic, but yes this is quite adequate.
Old March 21, 2003, 16:39   #77
Az
Emperor

gawd, I hate protecting the US government.
Old March 21, 2003, 16:41   #78
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
I think that a general "have too much free time on their hands, no wonder they're unemployed" would be more diplomatic, but yes this is quite adequate.
Diplomacy has ended long ago...

Old March 21, 2003, 16:46   #79
Sandman
King

Local Time: 23:15
Quote:
As to world opinion: clearly it favored UN resolution of the Iraq problem. Does the world opinion know, however, that the UN was thwarted by France?
The topsy-turvy world of the warmonger, where by not wanting war, France is guilty of starting the war. The Bush adminstration is composed of people who have always despised the UN, and going through the UN was simply a cynical attempt to gain legitimacy for the war. They were never prepared to accept that they might lose the debate, which they did in spectacular fashion. Having lost the debate, the second resolution was called off, probably because they knew that they'd not even get a majority.

Quite apart from the fact that gases and germs are mediocre weapons, there is no evidence that Iraq posesses them. If none are found, Bush and Blair should resign.
Old March 21, 2003, 16:54   #80
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

OK, some of you people can't take warnings seriously.

Slowwhand, Ned and Tassadar, see you in a week, unless y'all think about it, and decide it's come to Jesus time.

If so, you can PM me, and I'll get around to responding in a day or two.
Old March 21, 2003, 17:02   #81
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

I applaud the statements of Slowwhand and Ned. I think their statements were acceptable because they were provoked by someone acting in a hideous manner.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old March 21, 2003, 17:08   #82
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I second it was typical Ned. I don't understand how come he got restricted on that.
Old March 21, 2003, 17:52   #83
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

IMO, and most of you are familiar with many of them ... is that flag burning is disgusting and a true sign of ignorance. But America is built upon the freedom of being ignorant. Also, IMO, excessive jingoism and flag waving is just about as obnoxious.

Both suck, and you won't find me doing either one.

However... flying the flag upside-down is a sign of distress. And I think the country is in distress now. I congratulate the men and women of the Armed Forces for their service to this country. And also, the men and women engaging in peaceful, tasteful protest against our president. Democracy is about balance, and everybody being able to express their point of view. The second we prevent even the dumbest person from expressing their point of view, is when freedom is gone.
Old March 21, 2003, 17:59   #84
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

tia:

Don't be sorry for expressing your opinion, by reducing your thoughts to mere opinion. The examples you provide are of real patriotism, and not mindless flagwaving.

Your uncle was a POW for 8 years, in the service of his country?

And all this forum offers to such a sacrifice is to spit in reply?

Sad. What could motivate someone to survive in such conditions for so long? That is the real question we should be asking here.

Nationalism is represented in the flags of a country, as a symbolic measure of the national values, protected and defended. Despite what we are told, that Nationalism is a spent force; a divider, not a uniter; Nationalism has been THE primary force for at least the last 200 years. The concept of a nation-state, such as the US or Canada simply did not exist previously.

We may burn flags, but to do so not only denies the legitimacy of one nation, but also the rights of all nations. If one believes that nations are a passing fad, only then, can this approach make sense.

Suppose you disagree with the policies of the nation. Don't burn the flag, write a letter. Long after the flag has burned to ashes, the letter will still strike with the same thrust as before.

The irony of Tassadar denying symbolism becomes apparent when the only reason we care about flag burning is because we believe the flag is a symbol representing the entire nation. Otherwise, why would we burn a flag?

Edited: to tidy up grammar.

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; March 21, 2003 at 18:21.
Old March 21, 2003, 18:04   #85
Verto
King

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18
tia:

Don't be sorry for expressing your opinion, or to reduce your thoughts to someone's mere opinion. The examples you provide are of real patriotism, and not mere mindless flagwaving.

Your uncle was a POW for 8 years, in the service of his country?

All this forum can respond to such a sacrifice is to spit in reply?

Sad. What could motivate someone to survive in such conditions for so long? That is the real question we should be asking here.

Nationalism is represented in the flags of a country, as a part of the symbolism. Despite what we are told, that nationalism is a spent force, a divider, not a uniter, Nationalism has been THE primary force for at least the last 200 years. The concept of a nation-state, such as the US or Canada simply did not exist before then.

We may burn flags, but to do so not only denies the legitimacy of one nation, but the rights of all nations. If one believes that nations are a passing fad, only then, can this approach make sense.

But if you disagree with the policies of the nation? Don't burn the flag, write a letter. Long after the flag has burned to ashes, the letter with still exist with the same force as before.

The irony of Tassadar denying symbolism becomes apparent when the only reason we care about the flag is because we believe the flag is a symbol representing the entire nation. Otherwise, why would we burn a flag?

Well said.
Old March 21, 2003, 18:09   #86
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
I applaud the statements of Slowwhand and Ned. I think their statements were acceptable because they were provoked by someone acting in a hideous manner.
Wanna join them?

Oddly enough, people post here from all over the world and pretty close to the whole spread of ideologies. A lot of people might find other people's manners "hideous" but Ming and I clearly warned people about the tone of arguments and the low tolerance for insults, flames, etc.
Old March 21, 2003, 18:12   #87
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I second it was typical Ned. I don't understand how come he got restricted on that.
I've been looking for examples to make, since people have gotten a bit more heated and rambunctious now that the war actually started, despite Ming's and my warning.

When I saw the name calling and back and forth stuff, I knew I'd hit the mother lode.
Old March 21, 2003, 18:36   #88
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Diplomacy has ended long ago...
Old March 21, 2003, 18:41   #89
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:15
Well, I follow my grandfather's notions on this. A WWII veteran, he said the day they make it illegal to burn a flag in this country is the day he lights one up, because what the flag stands for as much as anything else is the freedom to express oneself, even in such an offensive way.
Old March 21, 2003, 18:42   #90
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I would agree Boris.