Old March 21, 2003, 20:53   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Myst Online
Well, did any of you hear about Myst going to become a MMORPG? Well, more of an adventure online game.

Just wondering, would you actually play the game? I have heard that it is going to play like many of the other myst games- being more of an adventure game than a MMORPG- possibly being the first adventure game.

Can you see any possible future for it?
Old March 21, 2003, 22:39   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 22:17
Huh. Interesting idea, but I have a hard time imagining that gameplay wise. I think it could be a really good roleplaying base, though.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 21, 2003, 23:05   #3
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 17:17
I wouldn't, but just because I don't feel like paying 10$ a month just to play a game I've already purchased.

Played Myst for Playstation, wanted to slit my wrists.
Old March 22, 2003, 00:01   #4
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I finished Myst yeaaaaaaaaaars ago on the PC (the graphics were ****ing fan-tas-tic back then ) and I liked it, even though there was little interaction (with NPC's for example).

I do wonder how they are going to make a MMORPG game out of it as the original game is not really suited for it i think!!
Old March 22, 2003, 06:47   #5
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 18:17
I'm a big Myst series fan, but even I am somewhat skeptical how this will turn out.
Old March 22, 2003, 08:01   #6
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 16:17
I suspect what is really occuring here is that the sales of Myst games have steadily declined for each new game in the franchise, so they're jumping on the online multiplayer bandwagon.

This might be a good idea for some games, but I don't think Myst is one of them. The developers are probably thinking that they'll draw in many of the general population of online players, but I doubt this will happen.

I've replayed Myst and Riven within the last six months, and they hold up fairly well. I zoomed through Riven in several hours after learning how to install all 5 disks to my hard drive. That game plays much, much better when you don't have to switch CDs every time you move to a different island.
Old March 22, 2003, 08:02   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Yes, especially if you get the DVD version of Riven :P
Old March 22, 2003, 08:17   #8
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
Yes, especially if you get the DVD version of Riven :P
There's a DVD version? What's that like? Is it an improvement over the 5-disk version (beyond not having to change disks )?
Old March 22, 2003, 08:27   #9
Sarxis
Emperor

Its says there's improved graphics. But it had been so long since I played the 5 disc verision, I couldn't tell the difference. Riven always looked great anyhow.

Someday I may do the 'taste test' with it.
Old March 23, 2003, 00:53   #10
pg
Prince

how exactly would this work? unless there are drastic changes there is no way this will be popular. it sounds about as likely to work as the sims online. myst was previously single player, and the main reason for it being great will probably be diminished via online play. of course that won't stop dumb companies from trying.
Old March 23, 2003, 01:28   #11
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by pg
how exactly would this work? unless there are drastic changes there is no way this will be popular.
Yeah, you would think a game built around the creepiness of being alone on a deserted world wouldn't transition well into a multi-player environment.

Kind of takes the mysteriousness of out of it when you have twenty people in your party and half of them have ridiculous names like "Scooby Doo Messiah" or "B*t Sl*t McN*t"...
Old March 26, 2003, 07:10   #12
MariOne
King

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I second most of the sensible comments above.
If any of you looked into the "best game" polls here, you'd have seen that I always gave Riven top score, above SMAC itself

I wonder how the so immersive game style would cope with online gaming experience (which I admit I never tried).
I would definitely give it a try, although definitely not expecting to play the same kind of game as the standalone ones.

BTW, I bought Exile long time ago (at the highest price I ever paid for a PC game), but I first wanted to get out of SMAC addiction, and then settle my things a bit so to have a reasonable amount of available free time, to dedicate to it.
IF I manage to get 2 weeks off work after Easter, that might be a good occasion.

Oh, and BTW again:
I bought last Xmas the trilogy
The Book of Atrus (mint from eBay, out of stock at amazon)
The Book of Ti'ana (new from amazon)
The Book of D'ni (new from amazon)

Loved them all (maybe the 3rd a bit less).
Definitely more than the albeit decent Ely's SMAC trilogy.
I think that replaying the games would be a totally different experience after having read the books.
Old March 26, 2003, 17:24   #13
Static Universe
Prince

I came very close to buying Exile last night in a bundle pack with Myst and Riven (Bought HoMM1-3 bundle instead for $19US)

Is Exile worth the investment? I enjoyed Myst and Riven, but I don't get any replay value on these type games, and I've never found the puzzles that difficult (for the most part). If it's as good as Riven, I might consider it.

While Riven is certainly a great game, I'm not sure I could place it above SMAC, as Riven gave me about a week's worth of entertainment compared to 3-4 years I've had with SMAC.
Old March 26, 2003, 19:05   #14
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Well, I enjoyed all three of the games... Exile is really much closer to Myst as far as the structure of the gameplay than Riven. I thought it was good, but it's done more like Myst where you go to individual ages/places, etc. and solve big puzzles in each one (as opposed to Riven, which was much more streamlined and had many puzzles that were interconnected).

Exile's ability to look in any direction, though, is something new that Myst fans should enjoy. Overall, I think it's a good purchase, but keep in mind it is really more of a Myst I type game.