Old March 22, 2003, 00:57   #1
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 16:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Julius Caesar: A Tragedy in Five Acts
Well, this is my first play, and I only had about four hours to write it (from the moment of inspiration till the moment of the posting), so don't be too harsh with it. Although as always, I appreciate all kinds of comments - be it praise or criticism.

Here we go.

Inspired by recent events...
(And by the play Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare.)

There is no right or wrong
during a war... Aggression
will return and bite every
party involved on the butt.
-Homebrewed aphorism

Julius Caesar
Tragedy, in five Acts, by vovansim

Characters:
FLAVIUS, tribune
MARULLUS, tribune

CAESAR, Emperor of Rome
CALPURNIA, Caesar's wife

GHOST, of Caesar's Father

BRUTUS, Caesar's domestic advisor
CASSIUS, Caesar's foreign advisor
ANTONY, Caesar's military advisor

OSMAN, Sultan of the Ottomans
MEHMED, Osman's military advisor
SELIM, Osman's foreign advisor
SULEYMAN, Osman's domestic advisor

ACT I. Rome. A street.
Enter FLAVIUS, MARULLUS, and certain Commoners.

FLAVIUS:
What's the gathering over here? Why are you people not at work. Don't you know the rules? There is no holiday today, so you must be working now.

Commoner:
It might be no holiday, sir, yet we be celebrating.

MARULLUS:
You can play those games with your wife, but not with us. They celebrate no holiday in particular. Go now, off to work you go.

Commoner:
But sir, we are here to see Caesar and to rejoice in his triumph.

FLAVIUS:
Triumph? You call that "triumph"? Did you not know Pompey? He was the greatest man of all. The people loved him. He was meant to be the next Caesar. Even the members of the Senate said so. Yet only Brutus supported his old friend. He said that Julius would be the ruler of the Republic. And now Pompey is defeated, gods only know how that happened. And for that you put your best clothes on and come out to celebrate? I'd rather go and weep on the banks of the Tibre than see Julius rise to power over the corpse of Pompey. Go now, and pray to gods that Rome does not fall.
Exeunt Commoners

MARULLUS:
It's not that bad, Flavius, is it? True, Caesar lacks the merit, yet can he destroy the glory of our Rome?

FLAVIUS:
He's mad, Marullus. One goal only has in mind. You'll see, he will destroy our beloved Rome, or be destroyed himself. Now, let us clear the streets of other idle men, lest Caesar think this holyday's for him.
Exeunt.
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; March 22, 2003 at 13:03.
Old March 22, 2003, 00:57   #2
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

ACT II. CAESAR's house.
CAESAR, and CALPURNIA are at a table.

CALPURNIA:
Well, Gaius, tell me. You didn't think you'd get Pompey so easily?

CAESAR:
Of course I did. How else could it have been?

CALPURNIA:
He could have killed you.

CAESAR:
Nonsense.

CALPURNIA:
Don't laugh at stars. There is a comet in the sky. You see quite clearly that gods do not approve of any kind of fighting.

CAESAR:
Well, that which is purposed by the gods can't be avoided, can it? Thus there was no risk for me. Indeed, I will engage in more.

CALPURNIA:
But all of your opponents are defeated.

CAESAR:
Not all. There is one foe remaining.

CALPURNIA:
The Caesar has no foes.

CAESAR:
The Ottomans, Calpurnia, the evil Ottomans.

CALPURNIA:
But Gaius, you can't ignore the omens. Everything tells us gods are against -

CAESAR:
They've saved me once, and will do so once again.

CALPURNIA:
When mere peasants die, there are no comets in the sky. They only blaze foreshadowing the death of kings.

CAESAR:
Well, then Osman will fall.

CALPURNIA:
You are mistaken, Gaius, don't do what -

CAESAR:
Enough of it, Calpurnia, I will have no more politics at a table.
Exit Calpurnia.

CAESAR:
Women... Always argue. Spoiled such a pleasant meal.
Enter GHOST of CAESAR's Father.

CAESAR:
It would have been the best of steaks if not for quarrels. Ha! Who comes here? My eyes are getting weak. What are you, apparition? An angel or a devil? You make my blood cold, and my heart stop beating. Speak to me, what evil news you bring?

GHOST:
I am your father, Gaius, not a devil.

CAESAR:
Oh. Well, then, what brings you out of the grave?

GHOST:
I came to tell you of the Ottomans.

CAESAR:
No, not again. I'm trying to enjoy my supper, and first my wife, then you, come to me with concerns for the barbarians. Give me a break already, will you? Can this not wait till after I am done?

GHOST:
Son, I am weak, and cannot be here long. I'll be long gone by when you finish that.

CAESAR:
Fine then, go on.

GHOST:
You must destroy them.

CAESAR:
That's the spirit.

GHOST:
That's not all!

CAESAR:
Oh, please continue.

GHOST:
Don't interrupt me!

CAESAR:
Okay, I won't.

GHOST:
The Ottomans are the greatest evil on this earth. They must be eradicated. Or else, their gods will unleash a plague on our land, and Rome will perish in great pain. Osman has to be killed, for he will never stop. Besides, they have incense -

CAESAR:
Now that I like.

GHOST:
I thought I asked -

CAESAR:
No, no I am not interrupting, please go on.
Dissolve GHOST

CAESAR:
Oh, well, he's gone. I hope he's coming back tomorrow for the meal...
Spore page
Old March 22, 2003, 00:58   #3
vovan
Emperor

ACT III. Rome. Before the Capitol; the Senate sitting above.
Enter CAESAR, ANTONY, BRUTUS, and CASSIUS

CAESAR (to Brutus):
I need you help, friend.

BRUTUS:
As always, Gaius, I am at your service.

CAESAR:
I shall propose a war. Crusade against the evil. The Ottomans to be precise. I need you to support me. Alone, I'll never sway the Senate. Yet, I can rely on you, my old friend. With your voice, together, we will convince the people of the necessity of war.

BRUTUS:
I don't approve of conflicts, friend, you know it.

CAESAR:
Well, this one will be short and simple. Trust me. Can I rely on you? ... I take your silence as agreement.

CAESAR (to the Senate):
I, Gaius Julius Caesar, am the new Empror of Rome.

Senators in unison:
All hail Caesar!

CAESAR:
I have defeated my opponent, Pompey. It was a close battle, yet I've won. And thus, I have created a new line of Kings.

Senators in unison:
All hail Caesar!

CAESAR:
I promise to rule Rome with honour, and listen to the voice of people in every decision they make. To lead the Republic to even greater prosperity and ultimate glory!

Senators in unison:
All hail Caesar!

CAESAR:
Now, it has been our noble tradition that the Senate accepts the first wish of the Emperor without a vote.

CAESAR (after a pause):
I hereby declare a war on the Ottomans.

ANTONY:
Great Caesar, I object! 'Tis true, we grant the inaugural wish of every King we have, yet up till now they've all been mere frivolities: women, wine, and such. No war has been declared that way. With all due respect, it is a matter of too much importance to decide by word of but one man, albeit as great as you.

CAESAR:
To that what say you, Senators?

CASSIUS:
It is too grave a matter to decide with only one vote. Yet I propose a compromise. We'll grant you one third of the votes, and then the rest of senators will express their opinions. Thus, you will need less support to make this hard decision, yet won't exert the tyranny of sole voice.

CAESAR:
It is decided then. Cast your votes, Senators.

CAESAR (aside):
There can be little doubt. They haven't the guts to vote against my wish.

ANTONY:
The Senate is divided, Caesar. It is half pro, and precisely half con. But one Senator has yet to vote. Your advisor of domestic affairs.

CAESAR:
What say you, Brutus?

BRUTUS (after a pause):
Aye.

CAESAR:
Prepare for the war!
Exeunt CAESAR and all but ANTONY, BRUTUS, and CASSIUS

ANTONY:
What have you done, fool? What use is this war to us? Rome is on its knees already. It is the strongest, and the mightiest still, but it cannot last for long. Our domestic problems are killing us. Who better to know that than you? And still you vote for the war?

CASSIUS:
Indeed, Brutus, did we not have an agreement? I thought it was decided that we oppose the destruction of Rome by all means possible. And only that destruction can come at the hands of Caesar. What use was all that work we've done in the Senate, if you, by single vote, destroy all our efforts to oppose the Emperor? Answer us!

BRUTUS:
Julius and I have been friends since our births. Yes, I have been opposed to war, yet I am loyal to my friendship.

ANTONY:
More than to Rome it seems!

BRUTUS:
How can you say that, Antony? I've always loved the Republic dearly, and never held anything above it in value. Give Caesar this one chance, and after that I will not fail again, and shall oppose decisions he will make by any means I have.
Spore page
Old March 22, 2003, 00:59   #4
vovan
Emperor

ACT IV. Ottoman capital. OSMAN's throne room.
Enter OSMAN, and his advisors

OSMAN:
Is it for sure that we will be attacked?

SULEYMAN:
It cannot be prevented, Sultan. Further, we will not be able to contain the forces.

OSMAN:
Let Mehmed be the judge of that.

SULEYMAN:
I daresay that whoever is the judge, the conclusion is all the same. We need to flee this country. Let us all quit, and leave the desert we own to the enemy.

SELIM:
Indeed, Sultan. There is no help from any of the dogs that used to call us friends. There is no chance for survival.

OSMAN:
That's enough! Both of you! I know and love my country! And will not let it fall. We have been fighting those in our path for all eternity, and never, not once, have we faltered. Remind me of the last time you saw the face of an Ottoman warrior. You can't remember, for our soldiers never flee, but only attack, exposing their backs only to their homeland. We have still force left to crush any invasion, be it from the puny Greeks, or the Romans. I will personally come out to the battlefield and spit on the corpses of the slain legionnaires.

MEHMED:
Then you will be the only one, Sultan.

OSMAN:
What are the three of you, jesting? Well, that's not funny. Such jokes can cost you your heads.

MEHMED:
No Sultan, we have never been any further from jokes.

OSMAN:
Explain yourself then.

MEHMED:
Our country is weak, Sultan. Centuries of warfare have reduced the age of our warriors, and have exhausted our resources. We have roamed these lands to sustain ourselves, but we have almost no strength left. Surrender or die. That's the choice we have.

SELIM:
And since the Romans have all the others under their boot, there is no help coming.

SULEYMAN:
Also, remember, Sultan, that the people are starting to doubt your authority. I will go so far as to say, some of them are rising against you. They feel the oppression has lasted too long. The people were encouraged by whips to join the holy force, and to erect buildings. Some of them can't take this any more, and have openly threatened to overthrow you.

OSMAN:
Oh, Gods, what have I done to deserve this? Weak people to rule, and treacherous men for advisors! Yes, I take your words as pure treachery. How dare you question my authority, or the strength of our nation? Guards! I order you to behead these three men!

MEHMED:
I am sorry, Sultan, but you have just declared your power void.
Mehmed stabs Osman with a dagger.

SULEYMAN:
You are a mad-man, Sultan, so we have taken the power from you. It has been a long time since we last told you the truth, for you couldn't handle it.

OSMAN:
No! Now I see! The blood has washed my eyes, or is it a tear? You lied to me all along. I couldn't take the harsh truth, you say. But how many decisions have I made that way! What have I done to my country, to my people? I loved them all like my own children, yet through you I have been the tool of the demise of the Ottomans. And now, I die a shameful death, stabbed by the blade of a traitor.
Osman dies

SULEYMAN:
Liberty! Freedom! Tyranny is dead! Send the runners to proclaim that across the land. The Roman invasion may still be stopped!
Exeunt Selim

MEHMED:
May your soul find more rest than your mind, Sultan.
Exeunt MEHMED, SULEYMAN, with OSMAN's body.
Spore page
Old March 22, 2003, 00:59   #5
vovan
Emperor

ACT V. Rome. Before the Capitol.
No commoners. Several tribunes looking to it that no one would disturb the meeting of the Senate. Enter CAESAR, CASSIUS, and ANTONY.

CAESAR:
What news, Antony? Why are you so gloom? Are our forces not advancing well?

ANTONY:
They are doing quite alright, Caesar. It is the Ottomans that worry me. And our so-called allies.

CAESAR:
And... ? Well, don't be so quiet - you are scaring me. Tell me what's going on.

ANTONY:
The Carthaginians have pulled their archers out of the war, claiming that we could manage just fine by ourselves.

CAESAR:
And so we could, Antony, could we not? What would we care for the puny Carthaginians?

ANTONY:
We could, but other allies of ours might realize the risk and follow -
Enter BRUTUS.

BRUTUS:
The city is celebrating, Caesar! Everybody is glad for the war to be over before the first encounter.

CAESAR:
Have I given any such order? To stop the war? Explain yourself, Brutus!

BRUTUS:
Why, the Ottoman leader has been assassinated.

CAESAR:
Barbarians! Something like that would never happen in Rome.
Exit ANTONY.

BRUTUS:
Now, we don't need a war.

CAESAR:
That's what you think. Who knows what their new Sultan is going to be.

CASSIUS:
I am sure we could finish the matter diplomatically now, Caesar, no need for an armed engagement.

ANTONY:
Indeed, Caesar, we could now channel our forces to punish the Carthaginians for betraying us.

CAESAR:
No! I said we need that war, and I meant it! I said we will finish off the Ottomans, and you will do as I say!

BRUTUS:
But Caesar, Rome is a republic. Shouldn't we -

CAESAR:
No you shouldn't! All you need to do is obey my orders. Otherwise, I can declare you a traitor of Rome.

BRUTUS:
Don't go over the board, Gaius. We've been friends forever, you know I wouldn't betray you.

CAESAR:
I don't know anything! All of you may be traitors for all I know!

CASSIUS:
Antony! 'Tis time! The man is going mad!
Enter ANTONY with a dagger.

ANTONY:
You have betrayed the Republic, Caesar. You have dragged us into an unnecessary war. You have not listened to the voice of the people. What say you to that?

CAESAR:
"You have dragged us into war..." And that from a military advisor? And what's that knife in your hand? You went out for lunch while we were discussing political matters?

ANTONY:
Caesar, Caesar, in style to the end.
ANTONY first, then CASSIUS and BRUTUS stab CAESAR.

CAESAR:
Et tu, Brute!
Dies.

BRUTUS:
Et ego, Cesar...
Spore page
Old March 22, 2003, 01:21   #6
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 17:17
The play format certainly is an underappreciated style of writing - nice to see it be put to use again.
Old March 22, 2003, 06:22   #7
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 23:17
Bravo (applause) well done vovan.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old March 22, 2003, 18:03   #8
vovan
Emperor

Thanks, Verto, Chrisius.

Anyone else read this?
Spore page
Old March 26, 2003, 12:03   #9
beno
Civilization III Democracy GameMac
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:17
got me through a dull afternoon at work brother
Old March 26, 2003, 12:16   #10
ottok
Prince

Hmmm... But truth it is:
The Caius julius Creaser (older (?!)) Has not to money, But lucky at,hee knows Marius... And Sulla... In the Some years later Caius julius Creaser hawe cam back from Gallia... in idus at some month it will go to senate... but HIS wife say:dont go,You will killed!!
But Caius julius Creaser going and... Killed by Brutus... At Caius julius Creaser:s boy?

I not know...
Old March 26, 2003, 13:17   #11
vovan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ottok
Hmmm... But truth it is:
The Caius julius Creaser (older (?!)) Has not to money, But lucky at,hee knows Marius... And Sulla... In the Some years later Caius julius Creaser hawe cam back from Gallia... in idus at some month it will go to senate... but HIS wife say:dont go,You will killed!!
But Caius julius Creaser going and... Killed by Brutus... At Caius julius Creaser:s boy?

I not know...
But ottok, I am not copying Shakespeare's work here, but making one of my own.

Thanks beno.
Spore page
Old March 27, 2003, 05:26   #12
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 08:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This is something I haven't seen around here before.
Old March 30, 2003, 22:02   #13
vovan
Emperor

Thanks, President. Anyone else read this? I know there's more people around here than those who've posted so far. Come on, folks, I'd like your honest opinion, since this is already finished - what was good, and what was bad, 'cause I'm planning some more writing activities, and if I don't know what turned out bad, I can't improve, now can I?
Spore page
Old March 31, 2003, 14:23   #14
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 23:17
I thought it was very good but maybe too short for a story in the contest. IMHO it would indeed be hard to write a long play based on a civ game, all that dialogue to write, just the thought of it makes my head hurt.

Be very interesting to see the results if someone had a crack at it though.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old April 1, 2003, 14:34   #15
vovan
Emperor

Yeah... It wasn't meant for the contest, either. Nor is it based on a real Civ3 game, as I don't even have the expansion. As a matter of fact, I think last time I played Civ3 was in January.

I just kinda wanted to know what people think, though.
Spore page
Old April 4, 2003, 04:03   #16
ottok
Prince

aapril!!
Old April 5, 2003, 08:34   #17
Samuel Johnson
Warlord

Local Time: 18:17
Very innovative! Thanks for the story.
Old April 5, 2003, 16:55   #18
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

"Et Ego Caesar."

First of all, let it be known to all that I quite enjoyed this, I wish I could find some people to act it out with me (I'm a pretty good actor actually, I can do a mean John Proctor for the Crucible). It's an excellent peice.

But:

The ialouge is shifty, you o from modern terminology to antiquated terms in the same character several times, stick steadfastly to one, to make the dialouge better.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:15   #19
vovan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SKILORD
The ialouge is shifty, you o from modern terminology to antiquated terms in the same character several times, stick steadfastly to one, to make the dialouge better.
Thanks for the feedback, SKI. I kind of felt a little awkward with the whole thing because of that, too. At times it was kind of intentional - to show that I was, in fact, inspired by the current events, but I can't say that that was the case all, or even most of the times I switched back to modern-sounding dialogue. I'll be sure to keep that in mind if I ever get to writing a play again.
Spore page
Old April 7, 2003, 10:06   #20
Cinna
Warlord

Obviously my sig and name give away my all time favorite play. I must have read JC at least 5 times and I think it is the greatest thing ever written by man. it's good to see that another loves the play as much as I do.

First off, where's Cinna?! You can't do JC w/o Cinna you know Actually Vov, you just proved that you can.

Great work & overall nice dialogue. Cast was authentic, and I liked the out of place plot, it worked. SKIL has pointed out my only complaint with the dialogue. Although some of the funny scenes were a bit sluggish, i guess you could say the same about Shakespeare as well.

Coming from a JC fan such as myself I guess my accolades must mean a bit more. Hope to see your renditions of other famous plays. Antony & Cleopatra is another favorite of mine.
Old April 9, 2003, 15:37   #21
vovan
Emperor

Thanks for the feedback, Cinna.

I don't know it I will rework another play any time soon, as I have a ton of other ideas right now, though no time at all to write them all down properly (and actually, most of them couldn't be tied into an even imaginary game of civ, any way ). But when I do get to another play (which I certainly will eventually, as writing this one was much fun), I will consider your comments and wishes.
Spore page
Old April 20, 2003, 11:27   #22
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Cinna...don't go to pieces on us.

Vovanism, I liked the play. I do agree with Skilord that the dialogue was a bit jumpy, but I enjoyed it all the same. Good work, sir. Hopefully, I might summon up the time and courage to actually write something sometime in ages to come.
Old July 4, 2003, 18:25   #23
vovan
Emperor

Contest bumpity bump.
Spore page
Old July 8, 2003, 18:54   #24
Jeremy 2.0
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Chieftain

I also noticed the dialogue jumping from faux Shakespeare to the more modern style but I figured it was intentional.

I did like it, though. I was hoping for the Soothsayer to make an appearance but no such luck.

"Beware the Ides of March."