Old March 22, 2003, 11:48   #1
DCMike
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why No Universal Suffrage???
I'm not doing all that great in the current game I'm playing. The Mongols are lording over everyone (including me) and are ahead in technology. They and some other civs are building Universal Suffrage. I just got Industrialization and have a Great Leader and thought I would rush build Universal Suffrage before anyone else gets it. BUT, it's greyed out in the city build box and I don't know why. I checked all of my other cities and no one else is building it. The only other wonder I'm building is the Forbidden Palace. Any ideas of what is going on here? Is this some kind of bug? (P.S. I'm only using Snoopys Terrain mod!)
Old March 22, 2003, 12:59   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 15:18
This situation is usually caused (unintentionally) when the city in question already has shields in it's production box (i.e., is building something) and some of the those shields are "spoiled" -- they were rush-bought, forest was choped nearby, units were disbanded for sheilds, etc. With any "spoiled" sields in the box, production can't be switched to a wonder or small wonder.

BTW, if the above explain you're troubles you could: (1) since US is not continent or otherwise location sensitive, you might consider building it in a different city (with no spoiled sheilds); or (2) switch the city's production to a unit or improvement tha will be completed next turn (perhaps with a little rush-buying, and then use your leader to rush US when the production box is once again empty (and US should be an available build).

Catt
Old March 22, 2003, 13:28   #3
DCMike
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:18
Thanks Catt! That seemed to be the problem. After I rushed the calvary unit that was being built, I could build Universal Suffrage.
"Spoiled" shields! That's a good one!
Old March 22, 2003, 15:08   #4
VJ
King

Local Time: 22:18
It always amused me in Civ2, that the Universal Suffrage you could see in the videoclip was clearly representing for the US/UK -progressivity in the 20-30's.
Old March 24, 2003, 12:12   #5
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 22:18
It's probably being built somewhere else in your empire. Just scroll threw your cities and you'll find it.

Spec.