Old March 22, 2003, 17:59   #1
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 00:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How is your country supporting the war.
We can say all the shite we want, there's real politiks and international agreements.

So how is your country supporting the war?

Greece is through the Suda Naval Base in SE Crete, which has seen hundrends of American planes, pass through, land, refuel, air refuel, even air transport tanks etc.

Greece protects this base with Patriot missiles and S-300 missiles which even have limited anti-balistic capability. (can stop nukes, to an extend).

It has also supplied a military frigate in the region. The gov. insists that it's not taking part in military operations, but is for checking ships out that pass its way.
Old March 22, 2003, 18:01   #2
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:19
We're keeping our promise and maintaning a low profile.
Old March 22, 2003, 18:02   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Belgium allows military transports because of its international agreements, though even not allowing that is being discussed by some parties.
Old March 22, 2003, 18:07   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 23:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, today our troops aided the Americans in consolidating control of Basra, and several hunded thousand of our civilians went on anti-war rallies.
Old March 22, 2003, 18:34   #5
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

LoL, I just heard on the dutch television that during a press conference with a bunch of top military fags a dutch officer was introduced... (meaning he cooperated with the attack on iraq, suggesting the netherlands are sending military troops to Iraq)

You probably all know that the netherlands are not militarily involved in this conflict!! The Dutch minister of defense was not all too happy about this lol!!

I gotta give it to the Americans though, this is an easy way to make it look like you've got a lot of support for this war, when really you haven't got much support from the rest of world! ah propaganda, ah CNN
Old March 22, 2003, 18:37   #6
Bereta_Eder
Settler

yea
Old March 22, 2003, 18:42   #7
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 17:19
Guess what? The people of Iraq are esfukingstatic.
Old March 22, 2003, 18:44   #8
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 18:19
The United States is providing 230,000 ground troops with another 20,000 USAF personnel (several hundred Attack aircraft), and 6 carrier Battle groups.

Old March 22, 2003, 18:45   #9
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

My country, Denmark, is actually the fourth active member of the coalition. Denmarks contribution to the fighting forces in Iraq consists of two naval vessels. A submarine and a corvette.

These vessels have both been placed under U.S. command, and the submarine is already in place in the Gulf. The corvette will arrive sometime around next week-end.

I think we should have sent more, but the political climate in my country does not allow for that.

Asmodean
Old March 22, 2003, 18:46   #10
ranskaldan
Prince

China condemns the war and calls for it to stop.

Singapore is staying out, calling for the war to end quickly, and pledging aid to Iraq when it's over. In the meantime, the press in Singapore is very helpful:
http://www.straitstimes.com.sg/world...78867,00.html?

Canada is staying out of the military conflict, though there are a few frigates in the region. In the meantime there is strong support for the government's position, especially in Quebec.

All in all, an amazing amount of support and understanding for the American point of view.
Old March 22, 2003, 18:55   #11
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Well, my country is supporting the war by bombing the living **** out of a fourth-rate third-world country.
Old March 22, 2003, 18:57   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
Well, my country is supporting the war by bombing the living **** out of a fourth-rate third-world country.
AND HOW
Old March 22, 2003, 19:00   #13
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
Guess what? The people of Iraq are esfukingstatic.
what the h...?
Old March 22, 2003, 19:07   #14
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 16:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
what the h...?
He's referring to the images and videos of the cheering Iraqi citizens pleased to be liberated.

You know, the kind of **** the anti-war people don't want to see apparently.
Old March 22, 2003, 19:08   #15
Bereta_Eder
Settler

We do! It's very entertaining

But let's stick to the topic
Old March 22, 2003, 19:09   #16
Lonestar
inmate
King

[joke] Padishah Emperor George Bush II is deploying 5 legions of his Dreaded Sardaukar. The Fremen of Irrakis are of no match for the hardened warriors of Salusa Secundus[/joke]
Old March 22, 2003, 19:15   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

As long as you don't claim that Saddam is Paul Atreides, I'm fine with the joke .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 22, 2003, 19:19   #18
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
He's referring to the images and videos of the cheering Iraqi citizens pleased to be liberated.

Oh eh right, I know they're there, I just don't watch CNN all day sorry...

Sure there's always a whole bunch of people happy to be "liberated", but on the other hand there are so many that are not happy with it at all that you could have shown... manipulating the crowd that's called

For me anyway I don't need to see a PICTURE of troops surrendering, as i'm not interested in that anyway, the information they have surrendered is enough for me

that's the whole shitty thing with these LIVE shows (reporters at a certain location are doing a story they could have done in a studio as well lol)

For instance reporters reporting no agreement has been reached yet (at the same time you see them standing in front of some concrete block, shivering with cold, with the annoying sound of cars in the background) HAVE to do it live where the action is... just hilarious

They could handle a lot more news if they stopped doing the time consuming live interviews nobody gives a **** about anyway

It's like after a sports game (or during half-time): what the players have to say is usually a load of bollox that is obvious to everyone and nobody is interested in anyway
Old March 22, 2003, 19:20   #19
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
As long as you don't claim that Saddam is Paul Atreides, I'm fine with the joke .
I'm thinking a fremenized Vladimir Harkonnen.
Old March 22, 2003, 19:24   #20
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 16:19
Trajanus: Well, I disagree about the silliness of the on-location reporting.

Last night I watched CNN in the background for hours and saw lots of VERY interesting stuff:

Cobra attack helicopters firing on Iraqi troops near Basra.
US Marines destroying deserted Iraqi tanks, with a surprise attack from an RPG during the process which caused a mad scramble to find and locate the attacker.
A pesky Iraqi artillary piece that wouldn't let go. The artillary from the Cavalary didn't do anything, so they tried sending the Kiowa helicopters, and they retreated due to heavy fire. So then they called in an A-10, which got the job done...

Very interesting stuff that's not-so-interesting in a studio reenactment.
Old March 22, 2003, 19:34   #21
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Kind of like people jumping off tall buildings?
Old March 22, 2003, 19:38   #22
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I'm thinking a fremenized Vladimir Harkonnen.

Is his eldest son Feyd-Rautha then?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old March 22, 2003, 19:43   #23
Lonestar
inmate
King

And his youngest is the Beast Rabban.
Old March 22, 2003, 19:45   #24
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

This thread degenerated quickly.

Tony Blair is throwing in a couple of lasguns for good measure.
Old March 22, 2003, 19:46   #25
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

My country is supporting the war by waging it.
Old March 22, 2003, 19:48   #26
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Calc... baseball pick, now!
Old March 22, 2003, 19:52   #27
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 22:19
Canada is not going to be involved in the war at all. I'm quite surprised, actually.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 22, 2003, 21:04   #28
Joseph
King

Local Time: 15:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
The United States is providing 230,000 ground troops with another 20,000 USAF personnel (several hundred Attack aircraft), and 6 carrier Battle groups.

I agree 100%
Old March 22, 2003, 21:08   #29
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
Trajanus: Well, I disagree about the silliness of the on-location reporting.

Last night I watched CNN in the background for hours and saw lots of VERY interesting stuff:

Cobra attack helicopters firing on Iraqi troops near Basra.
US Marines destroying deserted Iraqi tanks, with a surprise attack from an RPG during the process which caused a mad scramble to find and locate the attacker.
A pesky Iraqi artillary piece that wouldn't let go. The artillary from the Cavalary didn't do anything, so they tried sending the Kiowa helicopters, and they retreated due to heavy fire. So then they called in an A-10, which got the job done...

Very interesting stuff that's not-so-interesting in a studio reenactment.
Okay I agree, when it's stuff like that it's an interesting view
However here in Belgium all we get is a picture of Baghdad or something, with a few people or so running back and forth.. pretty boring
Old March 23, 2003, 14:18   #30
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Thud
This thread degenerated quickly.

Tony Blair is throwing in a couple of lasguns for good measure.
What??? No 'Thropters?