Those are republican gaurds .

amazing
Old March 23, 2003, 03:32   #32
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 16:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
WTF? Iraqi troops driving a pink quad-cab pickup with a NYPD sticker on the windshield and a machine gun on the back?
Old March 23, 2003, 03:33   #33
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 18:21
Quote:
Lets say these guys are RG: if a bunch of RG in a city surrounded totally by US forces and totally outgunned decides to put up a fight instead of just syaing "screw Saddam, lets give up", then what does that say about when we come up to really loyal people?
I thought the Republican Guard were the really loyal people...
Old March 23, 2003, 03:34   #34
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
For the first few days we were given a picture of how everythign was falling apart for this regme. Lets say these guys are RG: if a bunch of RG in a city surrounded totally by US forces and totally outgunned decides to put up a fight instead of just syaing "screw Saddam, lets give up", then what does that say about when we come up to really loyal people?
How does this change things? The regime is falling apart, and you have isolated forces all across the country. Just because a few troops say lets give them a fight doesn't mean the entire army will. Compared to the number that have surrendered, this is very small percentage wise. I don't think it says anything.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 23, 2003, 03:34   #35
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Asher: Thanks for letting us know about this. Even outside the context of the war, this is important. I know the anchor keeps saying that, and as tempting as it is to dismiss it as self-aggrandizing bull, it isn't. As a student in new media, I see this as a very important step toward how information gets distributed in the future. Thanks.
Old March 23, 2003, 03:35   #36
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 22:21
This is very...very interesting.
Old March 23, 2003, 03:36   #37
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Son of a B, those marines are well trained. Not a one of 'em moves as they lay out of the highway. Are they alive?
Old March 23, 2003, 03:39   #38
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Is this staged?
Old March 23, 2003, 03:39   #39
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
Lets say these guys are RG: if a bunch of RG in a city surrounded totally by US forces and totally outgunned decides to put up a fight instead of just syaing "screw Saddam, lets give up", then what does that say about when we come up to really loyal people?
I thought the Republican Guard were the really loyal people...
Nah, ahead of them you have the Special RG, then Saddam's and his son's security services (the guys that do the killing and torturing), and then his tribal relatives.

As for the number of soldiers that have given up: we heard that an entire 8,000 man division surrendered, but that US and UK forcs have 2000 POW's. Numbers come form here, form there.

This is a matter of perception. The images of huge masses of Iraqis giving up have not been there. You are shown a small group here, a slightly bigger group there, and then you see this. You may be confident that it is just a small firefight, no worry, understandable, but think of the TV message it sends out: " Iraqis fighting for Saddam to the last". That is not the message we want sent out on TV.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 23, 2003, 03:40   #40
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

It looks like the tanks are now REALLY damn close to the building where fire was coming from...
Old March 23, 2003, 03:41   #41
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Nah, ahead of them you have the Special RG
How do you know these guys aren't Special RG? Or the cream of the regular RG, placed specifically in Umm Qasr to raise hell for the Allies? I think it's far too early to be jumping to any conclusions based on this engagement.

Quote:
You may be confident that it is just a small firefight, no worry, understandable, but think of the TV message it sends out: " Iraqis fighting for Saddam to the last". That is not the message we want sent out on TV.
If the US annihilates this group of soldiers while taking no casualties, I think that is exactly the kind of message we want sent out. Maybe the rest of the Iraqi army will see the futility of fighting the Americans.
Old March 23, 2003, 03:42   #42
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yeah, and the Commander has surrendered. Maybe he can get his troops to surrender as well?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old March 23, 2003, 03:43   #43
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

The *really* loyal troops to Saddam Hussein are his Special Republican Guard divisions — basically, those thugs, er, OK, soldiers are drawn from Hussein's Tikriti tribe. Therefore, they have everything to lose if they abandon Hussein. I think there's between 5,000 and 10,000 SRG troops, all around Baghdad and Tikrit.

All the other soldiers in Iraq — from the conscripts to the usual Republican Guard divisions — are not 100 percent trusted by Hussein.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old March 23, 2003, 03:45   #44
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 17:21
GePap, The image we want to see is the truth. If it is ugly, then it is ugly. Right or Wrong the country is committed. If we cannot look our committment in the eye then the values we are trying to support are just lip service. Let's hope, as a country, we are better than that.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old March 23, 2003, 03:46   #45
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 17:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
The *really* loyal troops to Saddam Hussein are his Special Republican Guard divisions — basically, those thugs, er, OK, soldiers are drawn from Hussein's Tikriti tribe. Therefore, they have everything to lose if they abandon Hussein. I think there's between 5,000 and 10,000 SRG troops, all around Baghdad and Tikrit.

All the other soldiers in Iraq — from the conscripts to the usual Republican Guard divisions — are not 100 percent trusted by Hussein.

Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper, the number that I keep seeing is around 16,000 SRG (Special Republican Guard)
Old March 23, 2003, 04:06   #46
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 14:21
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
This town was reported taken on friday morning, thats approching 36 hours by now if not more, and there are still some Iraqis fighting. Why? While thankfully very few Americans and Brits have died due to better training and an utterly unequal amount of firepower, the fact that some Iraqis are still fighting should give us a bit of pause as we go forward.
36 hours because we're securing the area in a very slow, methodical way, with minimal damage and minimal casualties. The city being taken means that it isn't contested on a large scale, it doesn't mean that there aren't isolated fighters holding out. That's the difference between taking control of an area and securing it. Saddam's security forces are everywhere, because he needed hardasses to scare the conscript army into line. The Iraqis executed hundreds of their own men in GW I. A lot of these security forces types were distributed in areas of strategic importance, and a lot of them will fight, but you're talking small scale resistance from one man to a fire-team or crew served weapon, with no coherence and no command structure controlling them.
Old March 23, 2003, 04:08   #47
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

PLATO1003:

You're probably right ... that number sounds familiar. Does anyone have a hard and fast link or factoid regarding the number of SRG troops?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old March 23, 2003, 04:10   #48
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I wish the Brit Sky News reporter would just be patient.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 23, 2003, 04:25   #49
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 15:21
Is there a thread on off-topic dealing with what happened in the 101st airborne? I am shocked by what happened. Although I heard that stuff went on all the time in Vietnam. But this is a completely different situation for many reasons.
Old March 23, 2003, 04:27   #50
DanS
Deity

This is great! Fox News is now showing the Iraqi Information Minister who was just watching the firefight. He's waxing eloquent about how this shows the US is taking heavy casualties.

Amazing!
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 23, 2003, 04:28   #51
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yep, I'm watcing right now. I wasn't sure who that was.
Old March 23, 2003, 04:30   #52
DanS
Deity

Split screen! They're calling in airstrikes!
Old March 23, 2003, 04:32   #53
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

the translation isn't so hot.

just the usuall U.S. will not win the war crap. They look like fools saying they will win the war. When it is apparant to everyone including Iraqis living in Bagdhag that the U.S. will win the war.
Old March 23, 2003, 04:36   #54
Imran Siddiqui
staff

The funny part was when he said 'we will shock the American' .
Old March 23, 2003, 04:42   #55
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Can hear the planes passing now.
Old March 23, 2003, 04:44   #56
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Looks like the camera was left pointing at the wrong target. Or maybe they'll come back again.
Old March 23, 2003, 04:47   #57
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Christiane Amanpour just said that there is evidence the troops were sent down from Baghdad to defend Umm Qasr. These might be the loyal ones...

BTW, isn't it weird to know that everyone on this thread is watching the exact same thing?
Old March 23, 2003, 04:48   #58
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yeah, it seems like they left the camera and got cover.
Old March 23, 2003, 04:49   #59
DanS
Deity

They missed the punchline! The camera wasn't pointed in the right direction!
Old March 23, 2003, 04:55   #60
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

that military guy is right. We are taking too long on what should be a simple firefight. Perhaps they know they are on live tv, and are acting too cautiously.

They should just take the tank and run over the enemy 7.62 mm rounds cannot pentrate that armour.