Old March 22, 2003, 22:25   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 22:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Good FPS
I'm getting bored of playing Perfect Dark all the time.

I need some other good FPS. They need to be:

Fun. Many options.
Many players.
Not over 2 GB
Edit: Nice graphical quality, but fast at the same time.
And hopefully, cheap.

So.....suggest me some good first persion shooters!

Edit: Wrong forum.....Could a mod move it?
Old March 23, 2003, 04:20   #2
VJ
King

BattleField 1942 looks pretty ok, if you're into shooters. Have played it, best one for PC from the new ones.
Old March 23, 2003, 08:42   #3
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 00:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Soldier of Fortune goddamnit
(that what i've been playing for over 3 years now!)

UT2003 I like too at the moment, it's actually an upgraded UT, but the graphics are just so unbelievable, the best I've ever seen in a FPS imo, also the new additions such as the adrenaline that unlock combos, the double jump, wall dodge etc add to the fun, also the sniper is not that powerful anymore which is a good thing, and there are more things that improved the game, however It doesn't differ that much from UT, and it is quite expensive at the moment (I got a cracked version now)

And you need a good computer for it, but you can set the graphical effects to a minimum of course

But just stick to SoF even a copy will work as you don't even need to give in a key anymore!
Old March 23, 2003, 09:48   #4
VJ
King

Quote:
Soldier of Fortune goddamnit
Old March 23, 2003, 09:49   #5
VJ
King

Quote:
UT2003
Erm, is it a MP-game? UT was.

If you want to stick with good FPS-classic, then OFP
Old March 23, 2003, 09:53   #6
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 23:22
There are bags and bags of games; UT2003 is the current daddy, though Counterstrike has more players. I still think Quake3 has the best playability of them all.

You need to consider whether you want a cooperative game, or a deathmatch style game.
Old March 23, 2003, 10:36   #7
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Half-Life, and it's mods. It's the only FPS I've ever liked aside from duke nukem.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 23, 2003, 11:04   #8
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuomerehu

Erm, is it a MP-game? UT was.

If you want to stick with good FPS-classic, then OFP
LOL of course UT2003 is an MP game!

And not a word about SoF cos I'll kick your ass, the game rulzorz every other game with its almighty shotgun

Q3 I have played a bit but it was a bit of a disappointment, shitty weapons and annoying movement, for sci-fi game like that dodging like UT2003 makes the game much cooler, I thought movement in Q3 was a bit slow (I used standard fov, because i didn't know anything about editing the configs )
Old March 23, 2003, 13:30   #9
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 17:22
Serious.... Sam... II!!!

and my xenomorphs will ownz joo in AVP II. (but I dont have a comp that can run it. )
Old March 23, 2003, 13:48   #10
VJ
King

Quote:
Serious.... Sam... II!!!

Serious Sam's are mindless FPS'... then again, at least they're honestly mindless.
Old March 23, 2003, 13:48   #11
VJ
King

Sam II wasn't more than an expansion pack when compared to Sam I, eh?
Old March 23, 2003, 14:14   #12
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

UT2003 is NOT cheap, and is NOT under 2 GB, and is NOT fast

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Half-Life, and it's mods. It's the only FPS I've ever liked aside from duke nukem.
Hmm......Doesn't half life have the main game, and then nearly 5 other XPs? Sounds like theyre trying to milk the series.......
Old March 23, 2003, 15:48   #13
VJ
King

I repeat: Operation Flashpoint.
That would be the best one for you (and for everybody, actually )
Old March 23, 2003, 17:45   #14
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

ya but u need a good graphics card for that.. a tnt2 ultra won't do at all!!

I can assure you tass that UT2003 is fast, perhaps the movement speed is slower than in Q3 but in DM kill are accumulated much faster, and in other teammodes you can use the translocator so you're in the enemy base in no time

I don't think UT is more than 2 gig as my games folder may be twice that amount (new computer at my university place so not too much games on it now )
Old March 23, 2003, 17:50   #15
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
ya but u need a good graphics card for that.. a tnt2 ultra won't do at all!!
Geforce 2?
Old March 23, 2003, 21:30   #16
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 17:22
Return to Castle Wolfenstein!
Old March 23, 2003, 22:18   #17
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:22
Counterstrike!

You can be either Counterterrorist or Terrorist forces. And the multiplay is HUGE! Gforce2 should suffice for this game.

I love playing it, but I'm outta the loop.

Nice seeing ya again Tass.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old March 23, 2003, 22:30   #18
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:22
Deus Ex is a FPS style game, and so much more!
Definately recommended, even if it isn't as fast-paced as the others mentioned.
Old March 23, 2003, 22:41   #19
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:22
Only FPS I've ever enjoyed to any extent is Morrowind, and thats only if one even classes MW as an FPS.
Old March 24, 2003, 11:07   #20
Rasbelin
Emperor

Tass,

don't listen to DG people. They don't understand fascist games. Try MoH:AA or BF1942. SOF, UT3K, Q3, SS3, etc. are was of time.
Old March 24, 2003, 11:17   #21
Kropotkin
Emperor

Any FPS has to have enemies screaming "Mein leben!" when they get shot to be any good.
Old March 24, 2003, 12:04   #22
Rasbelin
Emperor

Naaah... the "must have" taunt is "Hah, Französischen Schuelerin schiessen besser!"
Old March 24, 2003, 14:07   #23
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 18:22
These are the FPSes for the PC that I have and which I really enjoy playing.

System Shock 2 (ahead of its time in 1998, still an amazing game right now, with a solid plot and a surprising amount of philosophy behind it)

Thief (by the same 66%-female development team that made System Shock 1, this game is the first FPS I've seen where charging in with your weapons bristling is a surefire way of getting yourself killed. Harder mission levels actually debar you from killing anybody)

Deus Ex (this game is currently unchallenged for plot diversity and story "threads". Whether you join your brother in an all out defense, or choose to hide in the closet until the danger's over... no other game has this level of player options.)

Alien vs Predator (the original has a very enjoyable blend of three different species, each of which has entirely different attack capabilities and playing styles. The sequel, by Monolith, is considerably different and in my opinion at least, not as good.)

Honorable mentions:

Half-Life (very atmospheric and groundbreaking in its day. Features a few irritating jumpy bits that no FPS should currently possess, but the pacing is excellent and the alien enemies are surprisingly enjoyable to fight)

Counterstrike (this is very enjoyable against human opponents, so long as you all agree not to jump like kangaroos).

Undying (the game itself is somewhat linear, but the weapons are good fun and the spell system is surprisingly good. The enemies are challenging and (provided you play it alone in the dark) the game is terrifying at times.)

Serious Sam (unpretentious high-octane shoot'em up action.)
Old March 24, 2003, 14:12   #24
DrSpike
Deity

Wow, you play TBS and FPS.........some catch.
Old March 24, 2003, 15:17   #25
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
Thief (by the same 66%-female development team that made System Shock 1, this game is the first FPS I've seen where charging in with your weapons bristling is a surefire way of getting yourself killed. Harder mission levels actually debar you from killing anybody)

Yes this game is a classic... I have the regular version, but there is a gold version with extra levels (such as breaking into the thieves guild!).. I never got the cutscenes cos I got it from a Twilight CD

I am wondering though, where I can get that gold edition, and Thief2, with graphics that are just the same but with a whole lot better AI I heard...

Btw they're working on a Thief 3... I am eagerly awaiting it!
Old March 24, 2003, 16:39   #26
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 18:22
Yeah, I play TBSes and FPSes and I'm a girl. Roc's teeth, roc's teeth.

Thief Gold is good for the extra missions, but bad for the plot, which undergoes some slowing down with the extras (they are inserted into the mid game, and you lose a lot of the high-intensity, dramatic story development).

The level in the abandoned cathedral literally had me crying with relief. I can't give away too much here, but I was hiding in a room from something that was moving (jingly jangly) outside in the corridor. It came to my door, and opened it, and JUST BY LUCK the door opened inwards, shielding me from its view. It paced around, looking for me and listening for any further noise, before finally turning on its heel and shutting the door behind it.

*~RELIEF~*
Old March 24, 2003, 16:47   #27
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
My gf says the words "Quake", "Civ" and "Warcraft" with an expression usually seen on someone who has stepped in a rather large steaming pile of poo.
Old March 24, 2003, 17:57   #28
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:22
Quote:

Quote:
The level in the abandoned cathedral literally had me crying with relief. I can't give away too much here, but I was hiding in a room from something that was moving (jingly jangly) outside in the corridor. It came to my door, and opened it, and JUST BY LUCK the door opened inwards, shielding me from its view. It paced around, looking for me and listening for any further noise, before finally turning on its heel and shutting the door behind it.

*~RELIEF~*
I can relate to that.

The only good Hammer Haunt is a dead Hammer Haunt.
Old March 24, 2003, 20:40   #29
Nubclear

Quote:

Thief Gold is good for the extra missions, but bad for the plot, which undergoes some slowing down with the extras (they are inserted into the mid game, and you lose a lot of the high-intensity, dramatic story development).

*~RELIEF~*
What game is this?

And yes, I love games that surprise you or leave your heart pounding.
Old March 25, 2003, 00:43   #30
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
And yes, I love games that surprise you or leave your heart pounding.
In single player games, of course.