Old March 23, 2003, 14:33   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 22:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why?
Small question: Why are threads limited to 500 posts?
Old March 23, 2003, 14:37   #2
ottok
Prince

Tassadar5000... i wan say something to two things but ming maybe not like it!
Old March 23, 2003, 14:38   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by ottok
Tassadar5000... i wan say something to two things but ming maybe not like it!
Thats the beauty of private messaging
Old March 23, 2003, 14:50   #4
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 00:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Maybe because the administration don't want the threads to be too long and difficult to read? As when I found the picture thread at the top of this forum; I wanted to read all of it, but ended with just reading some of it and then post. It was just too much! I don't know, but that might be it.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old March 23, 2003, 14:54   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:23
The 500 post rule is to try and keep threads at a managable level.
Old March 23, 2003, 14:56   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 16:23
From what I understand, the more posts per thread the more memory they take up. So by keeping the threads to 500 posts or less it prevents the server from becoming too bogged down.
Old March 23, 2003, 15:02   #7
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:23
Not correct...

The real reason is that many posters do not have fast internet connections. It takes a long time for them to load long threads...

The 500 number was pulled out of thin air, but only because some number needed to be selected.
Old March 23, 2003, 15:20   #8
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 00:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
It's absolutely high enough, though... I have a good Internet connection, but 500 posts is more than enough for my brain!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old March 23, 2003, 15:29   #9
ottok
Prince

Fair long...?
Old March 23, 2003, 16:05   #10
VJ
King

Oh dear, oh dear.
I hope that Ming doesn't have to feed the spam sharks anymore, this is getting ridicolous, every similar thread attracts vet's with nothing to say, looking for +1.
Yes, I realise that this is also a +1, but I simply want to state my dislike for spam in threads like this

...ST1 lasted 876 posts, didn't it, Ming? How come?

EDIT: 500th post!
Old March 23, 2003, 16:24   #11
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Not correct...

The real reason is that many posters do not have fast internet connections. It takes a long time for them to load long threads...

The 500 number was pulled out of thin air, but only because some number needed to be selected.
Seeing as people can select the number of posts per page, I fail to see how this is a reason. Its not like the entire thread is loaded up in one go.
Old March 23, 2003, 16:38   #12
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Not correct...

Ok, thank you.

Question answered......Case closed