Old July 23, 1999, 18:04   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 05:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Editing Tips :)
Okay, it took me forever to get all this figured out, and my hope is to be able to save any other would-be game designers some time and trouble, so here are a few things I've discovered about editing the freakin' *.pcx files....

First off, you'll want to cover up the default pictures, and the simplest way to do that is (I was using paintshop, but I'm sure the commands and routines are pretty similar, no matter what package you choose), just open a new image. It will start you off with a plain black square which you can re-size to your heart's content and use to copy and paste over the default pictures.

In order to do that though, you'll need a pixel map of the exact sizes of all the different pictures in the file. It was painstaking and tedious, but I got that....and here it is:

Dimensions of the various pictures, in pixels:

Big Face: 165x198
Next Biggest Face: 131x156
Next Biggest Face: 118x144
Little Face: 96x115

Diplomacy Logo: 65x50
Little (Mouse) Logos: 37x29
Report Logos: 70x70
Council Logo:86x72

Base Picture Squares: 99x75

Diplomacy Landscape Square: 233x124

I hope that helps save you guys time....no sense in having to duplicate that kind of grunt work if you can avoid it!
-=Vel=-

Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 1999, 22:43   #2
Grigger
Warlord

Not meaning to favor another site, all those interested in making their own factions should zip over to www.sidgames.com/ac and choose ACEdit on the bar on the left. I don't know the exact site name beyond what i just gave. Anyway, even if you choose to create the txt's from scratch, the default pic's it gives you are invaluable for creating factions. It has all of the dimensions already worked out for you. Due to the odd variety of sizes for the different pic's of your faction leader, i wonder why those gods at firaxis didn't make the diplomacy pic the same size as the big council pic or the datalink pic.
Grigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2000, 04:32   #3
AlexanderIII
Warlord

--Bump--
(Just thought I'd revitalize a few of these old threads to put some new life into this forum, and inform any of the newcomers to this forum of the some of the past issues that have been worked out)
[This message has been edited by AlexanderIII (edited May 04, 2000).]
AlexanderIII is offline   Reply With Quote