View Poll Results: Who shall win?
The Galactic Empire 23 38.98%
The coalition of the willing, Milky Galaxy 7 11.86%
Haha! Babylon5 ownz u! 16 27.12%
The Banana Collective. 13 22.03%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 3, 2003, 03:39   #451
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
You can't say the same thing about Fremen and Sardaukar, however...
Actually, the Sardaukar have lost (badly) on several occasions; they were slaughtered by the Fremen on Arrakis when they actually had to fight, and they got their heads ahdned to them on Ix. Their effectiveness seems to be mainly in firepower, numbers, and the kind of terror they inspire.
Old April 3, 2003, 17:35   #452
raghar
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Fremens were more deadly. Training of Sardaukars was less intensive than 50+ years wars without water against Rabba. Arakis was more deadly than Sardaukars home planet.
I think some Sardaukars were behind the fall of the Atreides, well at least Leto the Grand Duke.
They blasted out standard Atreides troops.
Old April 3, 2003, 17:42   #453
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
Hey, notice we never see the Stormtroopers actually killed by the rocks. They are knocked down. Probably just rendered unconscious and captured.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
side note of interest (or not)

In the SW d20 RPG, my players made an expidition to Endor to obtain the mysterious "Ewok Rocks".... They do 1d4 + 20 damage against Storm Troopers (ignores ST armor damage reduction).

ANything in the SW RPG books can't be relied upon without corraborating sources. There are so many contradictions to the films, it's just not funny. That they still haven't fixed the Super Star Destroyer length measurement shows they have no interest in being true to the films.
Old April 3, 2003, 17:52   #454
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 16:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Hey, notice we never see the Stormtroopers actually killed by the rocks. They are knocked down. Probably just rendered unconscious and captured.
Well, we don't actually see any storm troopers killed by blasters either: they just get hit and fall down, just like the did with the rocks. No blood or anyting anywhere. Why am I to believe they were kiled by blasters but not rocks, or the other way around, if ti all works the same: Trooper gets hit, trooper falls down.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 3, 2003, 18:27   #455
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 18:25
Poll closed. The Galactic Empire brings an end to the Federation's communist dreamland.
Old April 3, 2003, 18:49   #456
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Well, we don't actually see any storm troopers killed by blasters either: they just get hit and fall down, just like the did with the rocks. No blood or anyting anywhere. Why am I to believe they were kiled by blasters but not rocks, or the other way around, if ti all works the same: Trooper gets hit, trooper falls down.
This is actually a good point--in many cases we only see SW troops who are shot fall down, but not necessarily a motionless body. So perhaps their armor does afford them some protection against blaster fire.

In the RPG, stormtroopers are fairly tough to kill--hitting them with a single blaster shot doesn't do much to them (which is, of course, for RPG purposes).
Old April 3, 2003, 19:04   #457
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 16:25
another off topic little anecdote.

hehe, i remember the first night we played, i had my players run into a squad of storm troopers. Their first reaction was, "alright, this should be easy, they are only Storm Troopers!"

So my game wouldnt be over in the first night, i had the sargeant attack only once a round (he could attack twice), secretly ignored the damage reduction of their armor, and had one of the four fall down laughing after one of my friends tried a bantha rush him and rolled a one (meaning he bounced off the ST and got knocked prone). In the end I still had to bring in their level 7 contact to help them defeat the quartet.

Since then, whenever they have come across the possibilty of even coming in contact with STs they shout profanities like, "oh f**K! lets get outa here".
Old April 3, 2003, 20:36   #458
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I think some Sardaukars were behind the fall of the Atreides, well at least Leto the Grand Duke.
Very true. The Sardaukar were killing machines, which is why it was so impressive when the Fremen mopped the floor with them.
Old April 4, 2003, 03:20   #459
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
yes. This was specifically mentioned in the book: the Emperor had sent the Sardaukar to ensure Leto's defeat. The reason for this, though, mystifies me.

Quote:
Very true. The Sardaukar were killing machines, which is why it was so impressive when the Fremen mopped the floor with them.
Yes. I still remember Thufir's reaction to hearing how the attack on the guns had gone :"There were Sardaukar at every gun! This desert madman speaks casually of losing only two men against Sardaukar!?"

EDIT: Corrected name of Thufir.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; April 4, 2003 at 03:49.
Old April 4, 2003, 21:51   #460
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Don't forget that Yueh had destroyed the Wierding modules, so the Atreides troops had only hand weapons. That's how the Sardaukar wiped them out.
Otherwise the Atreides troops could've put up a decent fight. They still would've been beaten since Harkonnen troops knew the territory better and Sardaukar are the elite.
Quote:
I still remember Thufir's reaction to hearing how the attack on the guns had gone :"There were Sardaukar at every gun! This desert madman speaks casually of losing only two men against Sardaukar!?"
Kinda like the one about the Egyptian platoon that spots a lone Israeli soldier and plans an attack. One wounded survivor straggles back. "It was an ambush—there were two of them!"
Old April 4, 2003, 21:54   #461
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
Don't forget that Yueh had destroyed the Wierding modules, so the Atreides troops had only hand weapons. That's how the Sardaukar wiped them out.
...? I know he switched off the generator, but I've enver read anything about these 'weirding modules'.

Quote:
Kinda like the one about the Egyptian platoon that spots a lone Israeli soldier and plans an attack. One wounded survivor straggles back. "It was an ambush—there were two of them!"
Old April 5, 2003, 00:19   #462
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I know he switched off the generator, but I've enver read anything about these 'weirding modules'.
"Weirding modules" were probably the worst thing added to the first Dune movie; they were little guns that shot energy out when you shouted or something stupid like that. All in all, they were hella gay. You're better off not knowing about them...
Old April 5, 2003, 00:22   #463
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 17:25
Begone Dune fans!
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old April 5, 2003, 00:28   #464
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Begone Dune fans!
You should've used Voice if you really wanted us to leave. Do it like this...

BEGONE DUNE FANS!

Old April 6, 2003, 09:08   #465
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Was that only in the movie? I dunno, since I read Dune back in the 70s. I've been struggling to recall my reaction to the movie.

Maybe you're right. I think Jessica and Paul merely taught the Fremen Bene Geserit and Atreides fighting techniques rather then providing them with bizarre sonic weapons.

Oh, great. Now I gotta dig the book out. It'll bug me until I look it up.
Old April 6, 2003, 09:14   #466
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

There was no mention of 'weirding modules' anywhere in the book, which was why I had no idea what they were.