View Poll Results: Who shall win?
The Galactic Empire 23 38.98%
The coalition of the willing, Milky Galaxy 7 11.86%
Haha! Babylon5 ownz u! 16 27.12%
The Banana Collective. 13 22.03%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 27, 2003, 02:31   #151
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ok, give it up guys:

STAR WARS RULEEEEEEES

There's no question about it, absolutely no question.

1) I don't give a rat's @$$ who has the fastest ships or whatever as IT IS ALL FICTION. You can't escape the fact that Star Wars spaceships are much much cooler, I mean, just look at a Star Destroyer or a Calamari Cruiser...the X-Wings and TIE fighters... pleeeeease!

2) Second of all, Star Wars characters are much much cooler too. Han Solo rules, Luke is the epitome of the reluctant Hero, no one beats Darth Vader in evil and cruelty, and Yoda is Tha Man!

3) Lightsabers. Nuff said.

4) Aliens are actually aliens and not just guys with a different nose or ear.

5) Princess Leia looked just so hot when she was Jabba's captive.

6) Leia: "I love you", Han: "I know". Is that not the most friggin romantic thing you have ever heard in your life????

face it guys. STAR WARS ROCKS.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 27, 2003, 02:32   #152
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Great pics Kramerman!

show 'em who rules

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 27, 2003, 02:32   #153
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 17:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
with ballistic and vaccume proof armor (blasters had no problem with it tho...).
Even a red shirt could have his way with a platoon of stormtroopers. Given how well they shoot and how quickly they fold under enemy fire.
Old March 27, 2003, 02:34   #154
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 22:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Ok, give it up guys:

STAR WARS RULEEEEEEES

There's no question about it, absolutely no question.

1) I don't give a rat's @$$ who has the fastest ships or whatever as IT IS ALL FICTION. You can't escape the fact that Star Wars spaceships are much much cooler, I mean, just look at a Star Destroyer or a Calamari Cruiser...the X-Wings and TIE fighters... pleeeeease!

2) Second of all, Star Wars characters are much much cooler too. Han Solo rules, Luke is the epitome of the reluctant Hero, no one beats Darth Vader in evil and cruelty, and Yoda is Tha Man!

3) Lightsabers. Nuff said.

4) Aliens are actually aliens and not just guys with a different nose or ear.

5) Princess Leia looked just so hot when she was Jabba's captive.

6) Leia: "I love you", Han: "I know". Is that not the most friggin romantic thing you have ever heard in your life????

face it guys. STAR WARS ROCKS.
Star Wars is to Star Trek as America is to Russia.

On the outside Star Wars just looks great and nice and flashy.....But has no depth.

On the OTHER HAND, while Star Trek may not look as "uber kool" as Star Wars, it has a TON more detph

(Just kidding here, guys)
Old March 27, 2003, 02:35   #155
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 06:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The good doctor speaks the truth

It's a rare occurrance that DD and I are on the same side. I think the world is going to end.
Old March 27, 2003, 02:37   #156
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
The good doctor speaks the truth

It's a rare occurrance that DD and I are on the same side. I think the world is going to end.
Yeah, I see a DEATH STAR heading our way

Old March 27, 2003, 02:46   #157
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

Even a red shirt could have his way with a platoon of stormtroopers. Given how well they shoot and how quickly they fold under enemy fire.
this is just against the heroes, mind you... against normal folk they are the equivalent of.. oh... id say the US Airborne Rangers. They are elite. You'd have to read the books. I forget which one, but it detailed their training and such. Their helmets provide excellent command/control functions for squad leaders as well as sensory enhancement.

Heh, in the RPG i try to explain away the whole "Ewok kicking their ass" thing because the Ewoks had those Ewok Rocks and Ewok Arrows, which are both +20 against Storm Troopers... very rare and extremely hard to find
Old March 27, 2003, 02:46   #158
Urban Ranger
Deity

A Death Star is no match for a Galaxy class starship. Once it goes into warp speed, the Death Star can't even target it. Bye bye Death Star.
Old March 27, 2003, 02:50   #159
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Well, we'll have no more of this star wars...

Time for the trekkies.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	johndelancie-q-02.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	40821  
Old March 27, 2003, 02:52   #160
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

If Q comes in, all bets are off.

Now for some of the starships:

Defiant
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	40822  
Old March 27, 2003, 02:53   #161
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
this is just against the heroes, mind you
A red shirt is more dangerous than a teddy bear.
Old March 27, 2003, 02:55   #162
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Borg Cube.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	borg1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	40823  
Old March 27, 2003, 02:56   #163
Dominikos
King

I couldn't help it.

------------------
~Dominik - Lord of the Putumayo~
Old March 27, 2003, 02:58   #164
Dominikos
King

------------------
Old March 27, 2003, 02:59   #165
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

A red shirt is more dangerous than a teddy bear.
not by much...
besides, they have flaming gay uniforms, nothin nearly as cool as the Stormin Troopin... err... i mean, storm trooper battle-armor... didnt someone mention the WWII allusions before?
Old March 27, 2003, 03:01   #166
Dominikos
King

------------------
Old March 27, 2003, 04:35   #167
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 23:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. A. Cula
I came here to find the answer to the old qurestion about who would win a confrontation between an Enterprise security team, who get killed on sight, and a squad of SW stormtroopers, who can't hit the broad side of an elephant in a corridor, or something like that.
Instead, I find people arguing about spaceships.
This is an interesting question. I think that the Federation clearly has the advantage in personal firearms. It has been demonstarted multiple times that a hand phaser has the ability to carve enormous tunnels into solid rock, whereas the star wars variety only takes a few chips out of the walls. Stormtrooper armor would be useless against such firepower, especially since it is just about useless against normal star wars blasters.

As for aim, the minor characters and extras in all of the series are equally bad at hitting things.
-----
And on the races thing, I always thought of Klingons as representing Japanese. Especially given how the view of them changed. In the origial, they were the funny looking foreign bad guys. In the next generation, they are proud warriors with a bushido-type code of honor.
-----
Neither side uses laser weapons. Both star wars turbolasers and star trek phasers clearly are not operated by coherent light, since they both travel slower than the speed of sound and can be seen from the side. The only way to copmare their efficacy fairly is to see what effect they have on solid chunks of matter like asteroids and planets. As far as I can tell, each side´s weapons are about equally advanced in their capability, but the Empire has a lot more of these weapons.
-----
The difference in travel type is interesting. Star Trek´s warp speed is clearly slower, but ships are able to maneuver in warpspace. In Star Wars, they travel very fast but are unable to change their course once they start. So the Federation may have a tactical advantage in their use of Warp Drive (Picard Maneuver), even though the strategic disadvantage is severe.

In fact, Star Wars transportation is a lot like the creation of an artificial wormhole, especially given the way they have to put so much effort into calculating the jump trajectory. They exit space-time at one point in the galaxy and emerge at another point.

However, I conjecture that Star Wars actually has Federation-style warp drive. Remember how, when the hyperdrive was down, the Falcon took a couple of weeks to get to Bespin from Hoth? There is no way they could do that at below the speed of light, so they must have been using warp technology of some kind, probably equivalent to Star Trek warp drive. So they probably do have it as a backup, though they have developed something better, their wormhole technology, as a primary travel system.
Old March 27, 2003, 05:46   #168
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 08:25
I figure the Star Trek universe has better technology. Phasers, gravitons, warp drive, time holes, Lieutenant Commander Data . . . no contest.
Old March 27, 2003, 07:22   #169
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Speed counts. In the first Star Wars series Han Solo brags that his ship can make "point 5 past light speed". Star Trek ships travel much faster, so they would be able to dart in and fire on the Star Destroyers and move out of range before the Imperials got off a shot. Also Star Trek weapons would presumably pass through Imperial shields without diminishing since phasor beams phase in and out of subspace. Since the empire hasn't discovered subspace then they wouldn't be able to shield their ships against such weapons.
That's not the case at all. The Empire has MUCH faster ships. As stated in the films, ships in Star Wars can transverse the galaxy in a matter of days. Federation ships take decades at top speed. We don't know what their notation method of speed is, so saying the ".5 past lightspeed" means anything specific is a bad assumption.

Speed advantage = Empire.

As for shields, you can read up here:

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/index.html

Imperial shields are, as far as we can tell, just as good at stopping phasers as Federation shields would be. In addition, Imperial ships have far superior armor than Federation ships, and Federation phasers perform rather poorly against armor as opposed to Imperial turbolasers.

In a ship-to-ship battle, the advantage would be on Imperial warships.
Old March 27, 2003, 13:53   #170
Master Zen
Deity

Plus, who could withstand an onslaught of TIE Fighters???

Only a fleet equipped with X-Wings

Old March 27, 2003, 14:33   #171
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Plus, who could withstand an onslaught of TIE Fighters???

Only a fleet equipped with X-Wings
That is a valid point. With literally millions of TIE Fighters at their disposal, and a willingness to use them en masse indiscriminately, this is another big tactical advantage for the Empire. TIE Fighters deliver blasts the equivalent of nuclear bombs and are far faster and more manueverable than Federation ships. Since Fed ships don't have point-defense cannons, they'd be using their limited main phaser banks to try and pick off TIE Fighters. So while Imperial capital ships pound the Fed ships with turbolaser fire, the TIE Fighters will swarm them, inflicting massive damage in seconds. The Feds wouldn't have a chance.
Old March 27, 2003, 22:33   #172
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Since Fed ships don't have point-defense cannons
Actually they do. They also have missiles as well.
Old March 27, 2003, 22:36   #173
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 18:25
Damn you. You got the first post in five hours.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 27, 2003, 22:39   #174
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Speed counts. In the first Star Wars series Han Solo brags that his ship can make "point 5 past light speed". Star Trek ships travel much faster, so they would be able to dart in and fire on the Star Destroyers and move out of range before the Imperials got off a shot.

Good point, except for a couple of things;

[1] The Falcon promptly traveled as little as 30,000 ly in less than a day (Tatooine to the Core, assuming wasn't on the otherside of the Core).

[2] In SW literature, there are numerous references to ".4, .5 etc" type hyperdrives.

Quote:
Also Star Trek weapons would presumably pass through Imperial shields without diminishing since phasor beams phase in and out of subspace. Since the empire hasn't discovered subspace then they wouldn't be able to shield their ships against such weapons.
Hasn't discovered subspace? What the hell is the Holonet, AOL?
Old March 27, 2003, 22:45   #175
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
I figure the Star Trek universe has better technology. Phasers, gravitons, warp drive, time holes, Lieutenant Commander Data . . . no contest.
Warp drive< Hyperdrive
phasers < TL
gravitons(?) = Gravity well generators
Time holes? Time travel already discussed.
Data= C-f*cking-3P0!

Data is unique for his minuterization, not his "consciousnous". Hell, the NCC-1701-D's computer created conscious computer programs before.

And SW has minuterziation in spades.
Old March 27, 2003, 22:46   #176
Drake Tungsten
Deity

If all else fails for the Dune forces, they could always call in the Honored Matres to sexually control all the major leaders of both the Federation and the Empire. It would be hard to lose when your enemies are your slaves.

Dune!!!
Old March 27, 2003, 22:47   #177
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

That's not the case at all. The Empire has MUCH faster ships. As stated in the films, ships in Star Wars can transverse the galaxy in a matter of days. Federation ships take decades at top speed. We don't know what their notation method of speed is, so saying the ".5 past lightspeed" means anything specific is a bad assumption.
Which Galaxy? At the onset of the first episode we were told rather pointedly that the story takes place in another galaxy "far, far away". Perhaps it took place in a much smaller galaxy. I seem to recall that there is a galaxy or cluster called "M 10" or something like that composed of several thousand stars relatively compacted into a space of only a few light years across. The average distance between stars is only a few light days. Maybe that's where the Star Wars action took place?
Old March 27, 2003, 22:50   #178
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
If all else fails for the Dune forces, they could always call in the Honored Matres to sexually control all the major leaders of both the Federation and the Empire. It would be hard to lose when your enemies are your slaves.

Dune!!!
Give it up Drake.
Old March 27, 2003, 22:54   #179
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Give it up Drake.
Why? My arguments are just as persuasive as those of the equally weak Star Trek side...
Old March 27, 2003, 23:04   #180
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
That's not the case at all. The Empire has MUCH faster ships. As stated in the films, ships in Star Wars can transverse the galaxy in a matter of days.
So? You are assuming that their galaxy is as big as the Milky Way. This is not the case. The fact is their galaxy is a lot smaller. In fact, just a tiny itty bitty thing. The Milky Way galaxy is around 30,000 light-year across. Yours, probably like 50 ly.

Quote:
Federation ships take decades at top speed.
Well, sure, because the Milky Way is so bloody big compared to the SW two-bit galaxy. One of the technical manuals for the Enterprise-D states that Warp 8 is 28 times c (speed of light). That's 256 times to you mathematically challenged. It will actually take more than 117 years for a Fed ship to move from one edge of the Milky Way galaxy to the other edge. You forgot, however, that warp drives are only used when they are on patrol. Fed ships can move at transwarp speeds for strategic movement. So who is faster here?

Quote:
We don't know what their notation method of speed is, so saying the ".5 past lightspeed" means anything specific is a bad assumption.
Even when it's said in one of the SW movies?

Quote:
Speed advantage = Empire.
Refuted.

Quote:
Imperial shields are, as far as we can tell, just as good at stopping phasers as Federation shields would be.
Not so. Phasers tunnel through subspace, since ST ships fight at warp speed. If they move at lightspeed they can never hit. So phasers bypass Imperial shields.

Quote:
In addition, Imperial ships have far superior armor than Federation ships, and Federation phasers perform rather poorly against armor as opposed to Imperial turbolasers.

In a ship-to-ship battle, the advantage would be on Imperial warships.
That's nice, but since Imperial starships are incapable of engaging targets at trans-light speeds, they are just sitting ducks.