Old March 24, 2003, 02:15   #1
Promethus
Settler

Local Time: 17:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Philosopher of Islamic Terror
I know that the average Apolyton OTer's attention span is to short for this but I thought it was importmant enough to bring it up.

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/23/magazine/23GURU.html

To anyone who has looked closely enough, Al Qaeda and its sister organizations plainly enjoy yet another strength, arguably the greatest strength of all, something truly imposing -- though in the Western press this final strength has received very little attention. Bin Laden is a Saudi plutocrat with Yemeni ancestors, and most of the suicide warriors of Sept. 11 were likewise Saudis, and the provenance of those people has focused everyone's attention on the Arabian peninsula. But Al Qaeda has broader roots. The organization was created in the late 1980's by an affiliation of three armed factions -- bin Laden's circle of ''Afghan'' Arabs, together with two factions from Egypt, the Islamic Group and Egyptian Islamic Jihad, the latter led by Dr. Ayman al-Zawahiri, Al Qaeda's top theoretician. The Egyptian factions emerged from an older current, a school of thought from within Egypt's fundamentalist movement, the Muslim Brotherhood, in the 1950's and 60's. And at the heart of that single school of thought stood, until his execution in 1966, a philosopher named Sayyid Qutb -- the intellectual hero of every one of the groups that eventually went into Al Qaeda, their Karl Marx (to put it that way), their guide.

Qutb (pronounced KUH-tahb) wrote a book called ''Milestones,'' and that book was cited at his trial, which gave it immense publicity, especially after its author was hanged. ''Milestones'' became a classic manifesto of the terrorist wing of Islamic fundamentalism. A number of journalists have dutifully turned the pages of ''Milestones,'' trying to decipher the otherwise inscrutable terrorist point of view.
Old March 24, 2003, 02:17   #2
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 18:26
I hear MtG coming. It should be enlightening...
Old March 24, 2003, 02:18   #3
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 16:26
It was a great article. The thing is that Qutb does give a nicely self contained explination and examination on the current alienation of man, which is what is so scary.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 24, 2003, 03:06   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 06:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Qutb has an interesting, but ultimately flawed, view.
Old March 24, 2003, 03:19   #5
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Great article, Prometheus. I had already known a lot of this, but the article filled in many of the gaps in my knowledge. I wish more pieces of this quality would find their way onto Poly...
Old March 24, 2003, 03:43   #6
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
The thing is that Qutb does give a nicely self contained explination and examination on the current alienation of man, which is what is so scary.
I agree. This section in particular stood out to me...

Quote:
In writing about modern life, he put his finger on something that every thinking person can recognize, if only vaguely -- the feeling that human nature and modern life are somehow at odds. But Qutb evoked this feeling in a specifically Muslim fashion. It is easy to imagine that, in expounding on these themes back in the 1950's and 60's, Qutb had already identified the kind of personal agony that Mohamed Atta and the suicide warriors of Sept. 11 must have experienced in our own time. It was the agony of inhabiting a modern world of liberal ideas and achievements while feeling that true life exists somewhere else. It was the agony of walking down a modern sidewalk while dreaming of a different universe altogether, located in the Koranic past -- the agony of being pulled this way and that.
I feel that agony all the time, the sense that the things our modern society expects of us are in some way antithetical to the things we should really be doing. I have my own struggles with reconciling my desire for spiritual fulfillment with the spiritual void that is modern life. When I think about my own struggle with these issues, I can understand how people like Mohammed Atta come about. Honestly, if I had been born in Saudi Arabia, I could have been Mohammed Atta. That's a truly horrifying thing, to know that a mere twist of fate in your place of birth could turn you into the evil you hate and fear most...
Old March 24, 2003, 03:57   #7
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 15:26
Quote:
I feel that agony all the time, the sense that the things our modern society expects of us are in some way antithetical to the things we should really be doing. I have my own struggles with reconciling my desire for spiritual fulfillment with the spiritual void that is modern life. When I think about my own struggle with these issues, I can understand how people like Mohammed Atta come about. Honestly, if I had been born in Saudi Arabia, I could have been Mohammed Atta. That's a truly horrifying thing, to know that a mere twist of fate in your place of birth could turn you into the evil you hate and fear most...
Wow, Drake, that is very profound...

Old March 24, 2003, 04:02   #8
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I have my moments...
Old March 24, 2003, 04:08   #9
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
I feel that agony all the time, the sense that the things our modern society expects of us are in some way antithetical to the things we should really be doing.
“Neither fraud, nor deceit, nor malice had yet interfered with truth and plain dealing” (Book 1, Part 8).

-Don Quixote.

Fuggedabout Sava! Thanks, Drake.
Old March 24, 2003, 04:08   #10
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 16:26
The article had its high points — especially in regards to the utter division that one does see far too often in Western society when it comes to science and religion. Maybe this sounds strange, but I believe science and religion are one and the same; they just take differing forms.

The rest of the article, however, was disturbing. Fanaticism is a very scary, scary thing.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old March 24, 2003, 04:17   #11
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Maybe this sounds strange, but I believe science and religion are one and the same; they just take differing forms.
I've thought this for a while as well. While there are differences, at their most basic levels both religion and science are attempts by man to comprehend the world around them. Both also rest squarely on a foundation of faith, whether in an all-powerful deity or the power of human reason. As Qutb points out, the complete division between the two in Western society is certainly odd and possibly harmful...

Last edited by Drake Tungsten; March 24, 2003 at 04:43.
Old March 24, 2003, 04:37   #12
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Wow, this is a landmark post. All I can say is . God bless you Drake.
Old March 24, 2003, 05:52   #13
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 00:26
I also have to join in the orgy for Drake. For my part, I always shiver at the thought of having the potential of being a Nazi killer inside - if born in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the same goes for Islamic fundamentalists of course.

The scary thing is once we get to understand the anger or way of thinking of such evildoers, which still is very different from justifying it or making their acts less sick, we see our own potential to fall for some fanatism.
Old March 24, 2003, 09:04   #14
pg
Prince

quite interesting, and it seems to explain a lot of things. his philosophy would be very bad news for whoever has to live under it. it's much too idealistic, and doesn't seem practical at all. even if it did work perfectly humanity would never grow after it was totally achieved. however, i guess god would then make a new prophet to show us a way forward...

this is really just a rationalization to justify killing christians/jews/etc, albiet a powerful one. we at the moment are lacking a powerful rationalization to justify killing of all muslims, which is what the last bit of the article seems to be getting at.
Old March 24, 2003, 16:09   #15
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
we at the moment are lacking a powerful rationalization to justify killing of all muslims
Because one does not exist.
Old March 24, 2003, 21:02   #16
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
we at the moment are lacking a powerful rationalization to justify killing of all muslims, which is what the last bit of the article seems to be getting at.
Actually, I think the last bit of the article implied that we might lose this battle of ideas because many in the West dont really believe in the rightness of our ideals. In order to triumph over Islamic fundamentalism, we need to have a strong belief in the superiority of our system. I think the author has doubts about our faith in Western values. I'm inclined to agree with him.
Old March 24, 2003, 21:07   #17
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 22:26
Quote:
i never thought i would say this but:

Old March 24, 2003, 21:44   #18
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
Actually, I think the last bit of the article implied that we might lose this battle of ideas because many in the West dont really believe in the rightness of our ideals. In order to triumph over Islamic fundamentalism, we need to have a strong belief in the superiority of our system. I think the author has doubts about our faith in Western values. I'm inclined to agree with him.
Let me see, freedom (albeit greatly limited by left and right wingers)...or a brutal theocracy where people are tortured for minor infractions of religious dogma. Sorry, but I have NO doubt about which system is better and have NO ambivelance about allowing the "sinful" behavior this guy laments to have our freedom. A big problem is we've sacrificed our freedom for security in all sorts of areas, but even with the loss of that freedom, the west is still far better than Islamic states and will be as long as Muslim theocrats reject religious freedom. If we in the west were having to live in an Islamic state, you'd see just how much we believe in western values, but it's hard to see that loyalty we have to western values when we aren't faced with the alternative Muslim theocrats might have waiting for us. What's the saying? You don't know what you have until you lose it? We can speak out about what we don't like and do so quite a bit, but do people living in Islam have that same freedom? Nope. I wonder how much people living in those states actually believe in the Islam being practiced over there. Just as there are competing values in the west, there are competing values in Islam, and one set of values matches how most of us feel about Islam - live and let live. They are in a "civil war" over their own religion and they are going to conquer the west because we supposedly don't believe in our values? Nah...
Old March 24, 2003, 21:58   #19
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:26
Quote:
Qutb wrote that, all over the world, humans had reached a moment of unbearable crisis. The human race had lost touch with human nature. Man's inspiration, intelligence and morality were degenerating. Sexual relations were deteriorating ''to a level lower than the beasts.'' Man was miserable, anxious and skeptical, sinking into idiocy, insanity and crime. People were turning, in their unhappiness, to drugs, alcohol and existentialism. Qutb admired economic productivity and scientific knowledge. But he did not think that wealth and science were rescuing the human race. He figured that, on the contrary, the richest countries were the unhappiest of all.
Pretty much true really.

The idea that rationality cannot be sufficient for knowledge independently of God is an old one - Al Ghazali writes about this in "Deliverance from Error"
Old March 24, 2003, 22:14   #20
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
What's the saying? You don't know what you have until you lose it?
I think that is the point the author and Drake were making. We take things for granted in the West.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 24, 2003, 22:35   #21
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
I think that is the point the author and Drake were making. We take things for granted in the West.
That's what I said, but they are saying more than that. They are saying that because we take our values for granted, we are in danger of losing the battle of values with Islam. That's why I said we take our values for granted and that doing so should not be viewed as a weakness since we aren't in danger of losing those values to Islam.
Old March 24, 2003, 22:41   #22
Drake Tungsten
Deity

The threat isn't that we will lose our values to Islam, but that we will lose Islam to the values that Qutb espoused. It is in all of our interests to ensure the Islamic fundamentalism does not dominate the Islamic world, but I'm not sure if we in the West have the faith in our own values that is crucial in any attempt to spread our values to the Islamic world...
Old March 24, 2003, 23:13   #23
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 14:26
Quote:
I hear MtG coming. It should be enlightening...
I've been a "fan" of Qutb for years. It's interesting that it's taken so much of the west so long to bother looking into the mindset of our enemies.

Unfortunately, I don't think our leadership has yet felt the need to bother doing so. If we want to "win" this "war on terrorism," though, we have to realize it's a literal war for the minds of the Islamic world.
Old March 24, 2003, 23:16   #24
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
If we want to "win" this "war on terrorism," though, we have to realize it's a literal war for the minds of the Islamic world.
I couldn't agree more.
Old March 24, 2003, 23:26   #25
Berzerker
Emperor

Drake - [quote]
Quote:
The threat isn't that we will lose our values to Islam, but that we will lose Islam to the values that Qutb espoused.
Ah, I see.

Quote:
I feel that agony all the time, the sense that the things our modern society expects of us are in some way antithetical to the things we should really be doing. I have my own struggles with reconciling my desire for spiritual fulfillment with the spiritual void that is modern life.
That led me to believe you viewed western values as inferior in some way to Islam and worthy of rejection by Muslims. Let's face it, people in the past were more religious because they didn't have our toys. Besides, we know why a volcano goes off, they didn't, so only "God" could explain the world to them.

Quote:
It is in all of our interests to ensure the Islamic fundamentalism does not dominate the Islamic world, but I'm not sure if we in the West have the faith in our own values that is crucial in any attempt to spread our values to the Islamic world...
The battle you speak of is for Muslims to fight, not us. The outcome may be in our interest, but we aren't going to convert Muslims to our values without them wanting our values in the first place. And if we have to give up some of our values to accomodate Muslims, that fight isn't worth having. It's bad enough we have Christian fundies trying to run our lives without having to give away freedoms to get the approval of other fundies. All we can do is kill the SOB's when they try to kill us for being infidels, but in reality, most Muslims could care less about how we live our lives. They want the freedom to worship and as long as we leave them alone, they'll leave us alone. But we haven't been leaving them alone, that's why some of them have been attacking us.
Old March 24, 2003, 23:35   #26
Berzerker
Emperor

MtG -
Quote:
If we want to "win" this "war on terrorism," though, we have to realize it's a literal war for the minds of the Islamic world.
There's the paradox, Al Qaeda uses the attack on Iraq for recruitment while the Iraqi people liberated from Saddam rejoice at the arrival of coalition forces. Will the average Muslim see how Iraqis react and think about their reaction? We can only win a war on terrorism by killing the terrorists and eliminating the reasons for terrorism. We can do the former with some success but wont do the latter because the Democrats and Republicans have higher priorities than the safety of Americans.
Old March 25, 2003, 00:47   #27
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

This conflict with modernity, while most prevalent in the moslem countries, is also present here in the west. Many people, myself included, have felt that there are things missing in our life lived by the tenets of secular western liberalism.

The question is not whether we can convert the moslems, but how to reconcile these two diametrically opposed belief systems, not just for the islamic peoples, but for ourselves as well.
Old March 25, 2003, 01:03   #28
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Well one way is not something 'we' can do, at least as an action. That is the Muslim world needs some decent people to be able to look upto! Perhaps if we spread democracy, we can allow the flourishing of this kind of person.

When your leaders are the Al-Saud's and Hussein, you will naturally rebel from that.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 25, 2003, 01:25   #29
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It's not hard to realize that the modern world is fundimentally alienating to human beings. Just about everyone in the world realizes and understands that this is a problem. There are some, though, who think this is the best of all possible worlds.

For the rest of us, who realize something is fundimentally wrong with this world, the question is: what? For Qutb and others of his ilk, from bin Laden to Jerry Falwell, the answer is obvious, people have turned away from God. For communists, it's the capitalist system. For conservatives and liberals, it's lack of personal morals (but each side accuses the other for not having them). For libertarians, it's living in socialism.

Regardless of who is right (we commies are, just for the record), almost everyone feels the world is wrong. If I had to put my finger on it, the single main source of the problem is the pace of change in the world. Things change so fast we don't have time to adapt, let alone get settled. The world has changed a lot in my 36 years, and I still want to relate to it the way I learned in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Today's leaders lament that the world isn't like they knew it growing up in the 1950s and early 1960s.

Tune in, turn on, and drop out wasn't merely a mantra for hippies. People have been doing it since capitalism began. Look at the trends in yuppie culture: dreaming of retiring to Tuscany or Provance, the slow food movement, etc.

Qutb has an answer, and an easy one at that. As the Italian and German Communists found, much to their chagrin, the easy answers of Fascism beat the complicated ones of socialism all the time. This is gonna be a long struggle.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 25, 2003, 01:29   #30
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Regardless of who is right (we commies are, just for the record)