Old April 5, 2003, 16:30   #152
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 14:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
The Americans admit to have lost one vehicle and one soldier KIA during the little show-off raid this morning. Iraqis claim this is the one (picture). Looks like some kind of APC to me. On the other hand, footage on Swedish TV news showed an Abrams-looking wreck with crowd dancing around it, and that was completely different from this.
The Iraqis are desperate dumb****s if this is what they claim is a US AFV. This is an Iraqi BMP-1, totally cooked off which isn't uncommon with the location of the gas tanks. They're ****ing death traps, if hit from the side.

You can tell from the rear door and the roadwheel layout. The entire superstructure got blown off when it cooked, and that's also common with the BMP-1 due to shitty weld quality between the superstructure and hull.

Q. What do you call Iraqi AFV's after they've made contact with US forces?

A. Shake & Bake.
Old April 5, 2003, 17:36   #153
Ned
King

Actually, a videoclip on FOXNEWS shows an M1 on fire with a crewman getting out.

Later in the same clip, a bunch of Iraqi's are seen dashing back and forth about 100 yards off to the left of the road, under an underpass. Suddenly a car emerges. Later, the car is see attempting to crash into a tank. It veers and crashes instead into a center guard rail.

Real Saving Private Ryan sort of footage.
Old April 5, 2003, 17:46   #154
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Considering the Iraqis demonstrated competence, it probably hit a mine. I'm sure we'll lose a handful of them before this is completely done, but the photo posted by Olaf is of a BMP-1, which is one of theirs, not ours.
Old April 5, 2003, 19:57   #155
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 00:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Saddam isn't beaten yet... adopt, adapt and improve.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	safer.gif
Views:	107
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	41768  
Old April 5, 2003, 22:04   #156
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

"Saddam brushing his teeth"
Old April 5, 2003, 23:05   #157
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 18:26

That's great.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 5, 2003, 23:12   #158
grumbler
Prince

Local Time: 17:26
Haha Winston!

When the Special Republican Guard (whoops, they don't seem to be very "special," make that the Ultra-Special Republican Guard) show in your 'hood, you will pay for posting that!
The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
- A. Lincoln
Old April 5, 2003, 23:14   #159
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 17:26
maybe the word "special" in special republican guard means the same thing as it does in reference to the special olympics

Old April 5, 2003, 23:24   #160
DanS
Deity

1st MEF was said to be doing hand-to-hand combat on the outskirts of Baghdad. Oof.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 6, 2003, 00:16   #161
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Seeing as the assessment of the "raid that wasn't a raid until it became a raid, and downtown, suburbs, what's the difference, all these sandstone colored boxy buildings look alike to me" operation changed from when it started to when we wisely decided it might be time to boogie, it should be interesting to see what the "hand to hand" assessment turns out to be.

That sounds more like a press misnomer to me, because unarmed combat between modern automatic weapons forces is practically impossible.
Old April 6, 2003, 00:48   #162
DanS
Deity

They were talking about bayonets. Sounds flakey to you?
Old April 6, 2003, 00:51   #163
spiritof1202
Settler

Local Time: 22:26
Possible, however, fighting with bayonets is very very rare these days. Maybe an initial contact included something like that, but then turned into a close gunfight.
Old April 6, 2003, 00:53   #164
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

If you had grenades, ammo for your M4 and heavy weapons, and cute stuff like that, why in hell would you use a bayonet? And if the other SOB had grenades and ammo, he'd be using his on you.

Sticking people in close in fighting is real inefficient and desparate. We operate on a doctrine of massing firepower, and the Marines are all into that "My Rifle" horseshit, so I don't see them going to the bayonet unless a unit was overrun.
Old April 6, 2003, 00:55   #165
spiritof1202
Settler

If an enemy and a marine ran into each other *that* close then just maybe. I agree that a bayonet is absolutely a last choice, however.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:16   #166
DanS
Deity

It's sort of ambiguous. Maybe the opposition was trying to do bayonet fighting. Poor, dumb, dead bastards. But they are brave.

http://www.thestatesman.net/page.new...ess=1&id=10318

Do a search for "marsh".
Old April 6, 2003, 01:22   #167
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by spiritof1202
If an enemy and a marine ran into each other *that* close then just maybe. I agree that a bayonet is absolutely a last choice, however.
That's why God invented the fire-team. You don't operate alone, you've always got overlapping coverage from one fire-team member to another.

And if I was an Iraqi ordered to bayonet charge Marines, I'd waste the dumb mother****er excuse for an officer that gave that kind of stupid order.

But it's like Stonewall Jackson is reputed to have said, we have to kill all the brave ones.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:24   #168
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
It's sort of ambiguous. Maybe the opposition was trying to do bayonet fighting. Poor, dumb, dead bastards. But they are brave.

http://www.thestatesman.net/page.new...ess=1&id=10318

Do a search for "marsh".
Sounds almost like they weren't even issued ammo or taught how to fire their weapons.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:27   #169
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 16:26
Iraqi resistance has really been a mixed bag and in many places brave but utterly idiotic. i still can;t figure out why they have squandered so many men charging armor with technicals. And why they placed the RG outside of the city instead of right in it, tanks next to hospitals and so forth.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 6, 2003, 01:28   #170
DanS
Deity

What Saddam is doing just ain't right. He has less honor that the Haitian generals that Powell stood down during the Clinton administration.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:32   #171
GePap
Emperor

Of course he has no honor. Thats what kept him in power for 20 years and got him huge palaces and his face on every wall.

Interestingly enough, the Iraqis do seem to have kept their word about their oil fields. They still control the fields around Kirkut and Mosul, and those remain intact.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:33   #172
Andrew1999
Warlord

The Republican Guard was banned from Baghdad a few years ago after they tried a regime change of their own. That's when the Special Republican Guard was set up.

I'm surprised the Iraqis didn't blow any of the bridges. As far as I can tell the coalition has captured every bridge intact.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:34   #173
DanS
Deity

The Kirkuk and Mosul oil fields have no gas pressure on them. They wouldn't blow if you wanted them to.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:36   #174
spiritof1202
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Iraqi resistance has really been a mixed bag and in many places brave but utterly idiotic. i still can;t figure out why they have squandered so many men charging armor with technicals. And why they placed the RG outside of the city instead of right in it, tanks next to hospitals and so forth.
They used technicals because they've been trained to fight like in Black Hawk Down (it really is one of their 'training manuals',) and they are unaware that the tactic is failing pretty much universally. They are being lied to in the worst way, from the top down.

The regular Republican Guard has not been permitted inside Baghdad city limits previously; two of the coup attempts on Saddam have originated from the RG, and he doesn't trust them completely.

They've been parking tanks next to hospitals for protection, but ultimately, tanks are only effective in formations, with aircover. Saddam's tanks were pretty much irrelevent from day one.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:41   #175
GePap
Emperor

Seeing that no one has yet risen to take on Saddam even now, i seriously doubt that with an ivasion about to come the RG would have staged a coup.

As for the use of technicals: it seems difficult to tnasfer tactics used in Mogadishu to the middle of the desert, as they have done. Maybe in the cities, but out on the highways? Hell, it would ahve made more sense to skip the damned trucks and fihgt on foot: at least then you get more cover.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:50   #176
spiritof1202
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Seeing that no one has yet risen to take on Saddam even now, i seriously doubt that with an ivasion about to come the RG would have staged a coup.
Saddam's regime took a cue from Stalin's regime. The concepts of survival and control are

*shoot first and ask questions later
* kill a bunch of high ranking officers every so often so no-one gets too comfortable
* trust no-one (see shoot first)

Quote:
As for the use of technicals: it seems difficult to tnasfer tactics used in Mogadishu to the middle of the desert, as they have done. Maybe in the cities, but out on the highways? Hell, it would ahve made more sense to skip the damned trucks and fihgt on foot: at least then you get more cover.
No one said that Iraq had a lot of options. Irregular tactics aren't very effective against armies... especially armies with tremendous firepower and intelligence advantages.

The Iraqi's did their best with what they had... I expect them to continue to do so, but see it as futile.

With Somalia, the US was operating in manpower and equipment limited circumstances that they just don't have in this situation. The US/UK can bring the full force of their power projection to bear, even if they are limited a bit, in an effort to avoid collateral damage.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:58   #177
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

The best use of technicals would have been in city streets, where the Iraqis could have really applied the lessons of Somalia and taken the fight to a full 360 x 3.

Failing to wire bridges for demolition, or pre-sight artillery on those bridges, was stupidity as well. Another trick would be to turn sections of main road into command detonated mines by putting explosives along lengths of storm sewer - that could cause some serious mobility kills on US armor, and combining those tactics against a "raid" like we pulled off earlier could have resulted in some real serious damage.

If we lost 50-100 men, and blasted hundreds of civilians, in a single sharp fight, it would **** up our timetables for Baghdad and ratchet up the political cost in the ME very quickly.
Old April 6, 2003, 04:01   #178
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 15:26
It takes time and coordination to wire enough explosives on a bridge and to bury enough anti-armor mines on high-ways. Because we are attacking so fast and their command control system was completely shut down, the Iraqi army simply had no time to employ such tricks.

Had we waited with the invasion, they might actually have the time to do those things.
Old April 6, 2003, 08:39   #179
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 00:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by spiritof1202

The Iraqi's did their best with what they had... I expect them to continue to do so, but see it as futile...
I don't agree with this. If the same equipment was given to, let's say Germans, they would have used it in a much smarter way. They would probably still loose, but the cost for the coalition would have been much higher.
Old April 6, 2003, 10:29   #180
spiritof1202
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre

I don't agree with this. If the same equipment was given to, let's say Germans, they would have used it in a much smarter way. They would probably still loose, but the cost for the coalition would have been much higher.
The Germans would have been able to shoot a bit straighter... but thats about it

Admittedly, with the exception of small arms, the coalition equipment is better at every level: artillery, AFV's, Tanks and Aircraft.

The major doctrinal advantage from which everything flows is the coalitions air dominance.

The allies destroyed the Iraqi's ability to fly from day one. GPS weapons simply ruined any viable piece of tarmac.

If any aircraft got into the air, the coalition aircraft had weapon systems that could engage at greater ranges than the Iraqi aircraft AND the US/UK have AEW aircraft that can detect pretty much anything.

A command and control structure, which was very rigid under Nazi control, was decimated, and much of the German discipline and cohesion would have been disrupted.

German doctrin extensively used airpower, and they would have had none.

German doctrin used maneuver warfare, and they could not have used that either; large armored maneuvers have been cut apart by coalition airpower.

German doctrin calls for strict top down control and an aura of invincibility, and that would have been disrupted and tarnished from day one.

Given the situation, I don't see any doctrin or strategy which could have overcome the massive advantage that the coalition information and airpower dominance gives them.