Old April 6, 2003, 11:15   #181
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 14:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
It takes time and coordination to wire enough explosives on a bridge and to bury enough anti-armor mines on high-ways. Because we are attacking so fast and their command control system was completely shut down, the Iraqi army simply had no time to employ such tricks.

Had we waited with the invasion, they might actually have the time to do those things.
They had time - just because you preset and prewire, doesn't mean you arm or blow.

And I'm not talking anti-armor mines in the highways, I'm talking about conventional explosives in the storm sewer lines underneath. All of which could have been pre-wired, or done from day 1, but it's typical Saddamite arrogance that nobody would dare suggest coalition forces would reach Baghdad.
Old April 6, 2003, 13:57   #182
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 16:26
I have to agree with Olaf that the Iraqis have not been up to speed even with what they have.

Given their situation, they should have wired all major bridges (which hy certainly had time for) and blown them. They should have kept more troops inside Baghdad and not stationed them so far out, and no, i don't think a coup threat would have been immenet. If the Iraqis have been able to keep regular army units in line through terror, they could the RG. They have wasted many many men in technicals: as i said, have them on foot. You have the same firepower but are a more difficult target to hit.

The Iraqis dont have the resources for a "doctrine" right now, What they could have been doing is taking common sense aproaches to thier significant inferiority. And, honetly, they could have been far more destructive towards thier own people in search of coolition casualties. For example, sned soem guy as a "fake" infomant, leading some coolition fighters (who woundn;t know better) to search some house which you rigged to blow. There, coolition casualties.

The tactics of teh iraqis have been subpar on all levels.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 6, 2003, 13:59   #183
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 18:26
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Hey, but at least they've got the pregnant suicide bomber tactic down cold!
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 6, 2003, 14:04   #184
GePap
Emperor

That is one fo the things they could be doing more of, yes.
Old April 6, 2003, 15:28   #185
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

They had time - just because you preset and prewire, doesn't mean you arm or blow.

And I'm not talking anti-armor mines in the highways, I'm talking about conventional explosives in the storm sewer lines underneath. All of which could have been pre-wired, or done from day 1, but it's typical Saddamite arrogance that nobody would dare suggest coalition forces would reach Baghdad.
That is a rather good idea... but i dunno if arrogance is the reason why he didnt do it, as he did prepare other defenses for Baghdad. Im thinking perhaps he just didnt think of this idea, or maybe he did, and we have just been fortunate that we have not run into it yet.... if the former is the case, i sure hope none of those Iraqi officers roam the forums as they may find some good ideas from here

Kman
Old April 6, 2003, 15:32   #186
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
I think Saddam is not looking into these totally dishonorable venues of defense for PR and propaganda purposes. If it got out what he was doing, adn with lal the media there it probably would, world opinion about him would fall even lower, adn lead some nay-sayers of the war to become yay-sayers. And the possibilty of angering his own people and the potential popular uprising or military coup thereafter are also disinsentives of doing these things, as we all know how paranoid (and rightfully so) Hussein is.
Old April 6, 2003, 15:38   #187
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman

That is a rather good idea... but i dunno if arrogance is the reason why he didnt do it, as he did prepare other defenses for Baghdad. Im thinking perhaps he just didnt think of this idea, or maybe he did, and we have just been fortunate that we have not run into it yet.... if the former is the case, i sure hope none of those Iraqi officers roam the forums as they may find some good ideas from here

Kman
Revolutions and guerilla warfare R us.
Old April 7, 2003, 00:58   #188
Drake Tungsten
Deity

And so it begins 2.0...
CNN is again claiming that US forces are attacking central Baghdad. It looks like it's for real this time. A-10's are flying over the city and you can hear gunfire on the TV.

Quote:
NEAR BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. tanks and armored vehicles have launched an attack on central Baghdad, a U.S. officer told Reuters on Monday.

"We're attacking right down in the center of the city right now," Maj. Michael Birmingham, chief public affairs officer for the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division, told the Reuters news service.

"The other day was just an incursion. This is for real," Birmingham added, referring to an earlier foray of U.S. armored forces into southwest Baghdad.

CNN broadcast images from Al-Arabiya and Al-Jazeera television that showed at least two A-10 Thunderbolt warplanes and a Hunter drone circling the city, said retired Maj. Gen. Don Shepperd, a CNN military analyst.
Old April 7, 2003, 01:28   #189
Drake Tungsten
Deity

65 tanks, 40 Bradleys enter Baghdad according to Reuters. US troops have seized a presidential palace and other buildings. Another palace is under attack.

You can see the Bradleys on TV.
Old April 7, 2003, 01:38   #190
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Confirmed. It's even on ABC right now.

Mis Novias
Old April 7, 2003, 02:35   #191
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Wow. American vehicles are just sitting under those big crossed sabres in Baghdad.
Old April 7, 2003, 02:52   #192
Kramerman
Prince

grrr! i wish i had cable...
Old April 7, 2003, 02:56   #193
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:26
GRUMBLER

Don't use a quote box in your sig.

It's much easier if you just use quotation marks.
Old April 7, 2003, 03:05   #194
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 23:26
Remember, the war's not over 'til the fat dictator croaks.
Old April 7, 2003, 03:14   #195
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Remember, the war's not over 'til the fat dictator croaks.
His cousin is dead. The British military and AP just confirmed that Chemical Ali was killed in Basra.
Old April 7, 2003, 03:24   #196
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
His cousin is dead. The British military and AP just confirmed that Chemical Ali was killed in Basra.
Good riddance
Old April 7, 2003, 03:48   #197
Kramerman
Prince

From what im gathering, it seems saddam's regime is crumbling... losing Basra... invasion of Baghdad... chemical weapons have been found (cant wait to see the world reaction to that... undoubtedly there will be amny who will say the US planted them there and poisoned our own troops...). The end is near, i hope.
Old April 7, 2003, 16:25   #198
Ned
King

All I can say is that I am glad they chose to boldly move downtown. In retrospect, they could have done this two days ago. The Iraqi's are clearly finished militarily.

We need next to work on capturing Saddam. Hopefully, if we get him, the resistance throughout Iraq will all but end.

This victory will have to rank among the most overwhelming in history, not so because we won, but because we did it so quickly with such economy of force, while minimizing friendly and civilian casualities.

Will the name Tommy Franks rank up their with George Patton?
Old April 7, 2003, 16:28   #199
GePap
Emperor

No, cause the enemy here has been so inept and is so overwhlemingly inferior to begin with, that victory was never in doubt. Patton fought enemy soldiers that were trained and generally equiped as well as his men.
Old April 7, 2003, 16:39   #200
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
All I can say is that I am glad they chose to boldly move downtown. In retrospect, they could have done this two days ago. The Iraqi's are clearly finished militarily.
All sorts of things can be done in retrospect.

We can't govern an occupied country from AFVs, so there has to be a lot greater extent of passification and disarmament before we can transition from warfighting mode to occupation mode.

The Iraqis have put up even less of a fight (far less of a fight) than they did in GW1. Not a single air sortie, not a single fixed wing aircraft downed by air defenses, so it's a bit hard to sell the idea that this was an imminent threat that needed the 80 billion cleaning treatment.

The Iraqi resistance has been about on a par of what we could expect from Nigeria.
Old April 7, 2003, 16:39   #201
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 22:26
Quote:
Will the name Tommy Franks rank up their with George Patton?
It'd be more like the next Hernando Cortes.

EDIT: Thought it might be a good idea to change it to a conquistador that's a bit better known.

Do It Ourselves

Last edited by General Ludd; April 7, 2003 at 16:47.
Old April 7, 2003, 16:49   #202
Andrew1999
Warlord

Military Advisor: Commander, our troops have captured Sun Tzu's Art of War!
Old April 7, 2003, 16:55   #203
GePap
Emperor

I think resistance would be worse in nigeria. Maybe as easy in niger, but Nigeria.

And No, Francks won't be anything more than a footnote in history. I mean, look at Schwarzkopff. 12 years later and they have to tell you on TV who he is. Don't expect any movies either.
Old April 7, 2003, 17:01   #204
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 00:26
Quote:
[SIZE=1] Originally posted by Andrew1999
Military Advisor: Commander, our troops have captured Sun Tzu's Art of War!

Commander, our troops have destroyed the Colossus!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	staty.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	41901  
Old April 7, 2003, 18:30   #205
Ned
King

The British commander has lavished high praise on Tommy Franks and his war plan, saying it was "brilliant."
Old April 7, 2003, 19:11   #206
Kontiki
King

Which part of the war plan in particular was "brilliant", I wonder. Was it the at least 20-to-1 superiority in equipment and training? A decimated country from decades of mismanagement followed by crippling sanctions? Complete air dominance before a shot was fired? Troops that were actually fed?

I think I could come up with an equally "brilliant" plan of attack if I went to the nearest public school and beat the crap out of a second-grader.
Old April 7, 2003, 20:48   #207
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
The British commander has lavished high praise on Tommy Franks and his war plan, saying it was "brilliant."
So was Scwarzkopff's plan, and he won;t be getting a movie either.

How many times do you see Franks on TV? If this war is made into a movie, the guy playing Franks would get second billing.

As I said, the enemy is too inferior, the goal inherently political, not military, and it is all about the Bush, all of which makes for a rather forgatable theater commander, no matter how much currentl priase he gets. What people will be talking about in a few years is how new US weapons, not this plan, made this possible.
Old April 7, 2003, 21:11   #208
Frogman
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Kontiki
Which part of the war plan in particular was "brilliant", I wonder. Was it the at least 20-to-1 superiority in equipment and training? A decimated country from decades of mismanagement followed by crippling sanctions? Complete air dominance before a shot was fired? Troops that were actually fed?

I think I could come up with an equally "brilliant" plan of attack if I went to the nearest public school and beat the crap out of a second-grader.
Part of being brilliant is how easy you make it look. We took a risk with the early movement of what some said were not enough ground troops. The bee line to Baghdad, securing the oil fields, the targeted attacks, all were well planned and exectued. Sure we kicked them around like second graders, but only because we did a good job.

There is plenty of tough fighting ahead and there will be pockets of resistance for years. This is the part of the plan I'm worried about.
Old April 7, 2003, 21:15   #209
spiritof1202
Settler

Local Time: 22:26
true... anyone can make an opposing force look good. The likelihood was low, but thats a function of 'pre-planning' of the construction of the force, including C3 assets.
Old April 7, 2003, 21:23   #210
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 08:26
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	iraqi information minister.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	41923