Old April 8, 2003, 21:28   #241
grumbler
Prince

Local Time: 17:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sten Sture I'm sure they have the range to do a round trip, but tell me there is almost 0% chance that F-14s are that far north.
F-14Ds have a lotta legs. They aren't F/A (F***/All)-18s, after all!
The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
- A. Lincoln
Old April 8, 2003, 21:51   #242
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 08:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
grumbler! where ya been?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old April 8, 2003, 22:05   #243
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 06:26
Is grumbler one of Horsie's DL's?
Old April 8, 2003, 22:18   #244
Alexander's Horse
Deity

No he's Rimmer I think.

Old April 8, 2003, 22:36   #245
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Your DL has a DL?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 8, 2003, 22:38   #246
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Rimmer was never my DL, poor guy.

Old April 8, 2003, 23:20   #247
Ned
King

Local Time: 14:26
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Maybe at the Frank's holiday home..but out here in the real world, it is not. In the Gulf War the US army performed way beyond expectations, and today what people remember is the cool bomb footage.

Had the RG put up a fight then we would not be here with someone calling Frank's attack brilliant..if it was airstrikes that broke the Rg then its the guy who put otgether the airwar that should get kudos, but the fact is that someone does not become "legendary" becuase the enemy turned out to be weaker than anyone expected.
One could say the exact same thing about Alexander's defeat of the Persions.
Old April 8, 2003, 23:36   #248
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

One could say the exact same thing about Alexander's defeat of the Persions.
Not really - Persia was a superpower. Their total defeat by a small Greek army was a stupendous feat of arms.

Old April 9, 2003, 01:32   #249
Sten Sture
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

welcome to the Pentagon, and everyone has to get in on the action...
forgot about that fundamental rule! Now it makes perfect sense. Let's just hope the Navy doesn't feel like the SSBNs have been left out.

grumbler - welcome back by the way. 3200km range on Tomcats on the source I checked, but never sure how to read those kinda range numbers versus the burn rate of 30 seconds over target.

Last edited by Sten Sture; April 9, 2003 at 01:38.
Old April 9, 2003, 04:14   #250
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
"we"? somtimes you sound like you're directing ops
"Who's "we" sucka?"

"Smith, Wesson... and me"

Well, "they" wouldn't really work, since it's not a bunch of Aussies I'm talking about, is it?
Old April 9, 2003, 04:28   #251
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Sten Sture

Now it makes perfect sense. Let's just hope the Navy doesn't feel like the SSBNs have been left out.
I really wish you wouldn't joke about things like that ...
Old April 9, 2003, 14:40   #252
Ned
King

Quote:

Not really - Persia was a superpower. Their total defeat by a small Greek army was a stupendous feat of arms.
Not really. They fell apart like a house of cards. They way they fell apart when their king fled seems very much like the house of cards that Saddam built.

Besides, I believe the Greeks had far superior weapons than the Persians. Their Phalanx was nearly invincible at the time, IIRC. The comparison between an Iraqi 72 and an American M1 is apt.

Finally, the way the Greeks used their cavalry is very much like the way we used our airforce.

The Greek victory, in retrospect, was not surprising at all.
Old April 10, 2003, 04:42   #253
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:26
It was surprising only because people didn't know, at the time, how effective the Greek weapons and tactics were. They were new (or at least fairly new), and hence one wouldn't have known them to be so powerful, especially as they had never been tried against an enemy on the scale of Persia.
Old April 10, 2003, 17:33   #254
grumbler
Prince

Quote:
grumbler! where ya been?
Mostly at EUOT, some at matrix games, a fair amount at the Babylon 5 mod for Space Empires 4.

It feels... strange to be back here again and see so many posters that were here in the olden days still posting. A more loyal lot than I!

And I'm not any DL. If I'm there, I'm grumbler.
The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
- A. Lincoln
Old April 10, 2003, 17:39   #255
grumbler
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sten Sture forgot about that fundamental rule! Now it makes perfect sense. Let's just hope the Navy doesn't feel like the SSBNs have been left out.
I really wanted to see the boomers weigh in with conventional (inert) warheads on SLBMs. Imagine the kinetic energy of a 2-ton warhead at Mach 14! Kinda hard to imagine what would be worth targeting with a $65 million missile, though.

Quote:
grumbler - welcome back by the way. 3200km range on Tomcats on the source I checked, but never sure how to read those kinda range numbers versus the burn rate of 30 seconds over target.
Thanks. Rule of Thumb on the F-14D is about 700 miles with a somewhat standard 4,000 pounds of bombs, with enough time over target to find an obvious target or to deploy JDAM, with gas to spare for some hassles. Source is my memory!
- A. Lincoln
Old April 10, 2003, 17:42   #256
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by grumbler
I really wanted to see the boomers weigh in with conventional (inert) warheads on SLBMs. Imagine the kinetic energy of a 2-ton warhead at Mach 14! Kinda hard to imagine what would be worth targeting with a $65 million missile, though.
Ah, hell, just pick a spot in the desert. We just want to see what kind of hole it can make.
Old April 10, 2003, 17:44   #257
grumbler
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
It was surprising only because people didn't know, at the time, how effective the Greek weapons and tactics were. They were new (or at least fairly new), and hence one wouldn't have known them to be so powerful, especially as they had never been tried against an enemy on the scale of Persia.
I don't think this is true, either. The "March to the Sea" proved that Greek tactics could beat eastern tactics, and the Persians were hiring every Greek merc they could. I think the surprise was that which Ned pointed out - the Greek way didn't involve cavalry, and the combination of shock cavalry with shock infantry was the key Macedonian advance.
- A. Lincoln